Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...289290291292293294295296297298299...LastNext
Current Page: 294 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 14, 2023 01:02

My daughter invited me to go to John Forgety or is it Creedence Clearwater Revival in Antwerpen hope she can score some tickets.................

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 14, 2023 12:01

My thoughts on Mick Taylor right now is bring him back to beef up the line-up this coming tour, take some weight of a diminished Ronnie, they could share the load rather than just have Taylor to guest for a track of two.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2023 12:06

Lurv ya Mick ..... esp that dancin'

... like a praying mantis on the attack ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 23, 2023 17:26

Splendid playing by Mick Taylor, almost a parody on Keith Richards as a rhythm player. Playing with iorr poster Drummerboy.

"If you don't c sharp you'll b flat". - Muhammad Ali.

The 2 Micks: why don't the Micks get along?
Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: April 28, 2023 16:42

I probably lost track of any posts on this topic but why the apparent frosty relationship between the two Micks; Taylor and Jagger. What looked like a good idea to include Taylor as a special/nightly guest during 50th anniversary quickly disappeared. Especially with the death of Charlie Watts and the possible cancer scares with Ron Wood, why wouldn't the Stones especially Jagger, not want closer ties with Taylor and why not make more use of him? The opportunity to catch Taylor playing with the stones for an extended set would attract many Stones fan, me included

Re: The 2 Micks: why don't the Micks get along?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 28, 2023 17:15

The more interesting question would be: "How is Mick Taylor actually doing today?"

There's not much activity on his [www.Facebook.com] and there seem to be also no other public activities by him.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 28, 2023 17:26

as far as i understand it he retired from music in 2016

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-28 17:26 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 28, 2023 17:50

ProfessorWolf

If true, that is just sad.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 28, 2023 17:50

It was great for him to have been brought in from the wilderness. But it was also clear that he didn’t have much left in the tank.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 28, 2023 17:58

steffialicia
ProfessorWolf

Why? It’s his decision.

Date: April 28, 2023 18:51

All I can add is that I hope he quit smoking by now.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 28, 2023 21:13

MelBelli
It was great for him to have been brought in from the wilderness. But it was also clear that he didn’t have much left in the tank.
Thats Baloney.Go listen to Midnight Rambler, Newark December15,2012.Recently itwas released on GRRR live.He plays fine, and certainly as good as Wood or Richards

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 28, 2023 23:21

Koen
steffialicia
ProfessorWolf

Why? It’s his decision.

That's true.

Date: April 28, 2023 23:30

"If you don't c sharp you'll b flat". - Muhammad Ali.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-29 01:15 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 29, 2023 00:04

Taylor1
MelBelli
Thats Baloney.Go listen to Midnight Rambler, Newark December15,2012.Recently itwas released on GRRR live.He plays fine, and certainly as good as Wood or Richards

i'm with you on that

he was great not 72 great but still great

far from nothing left in the tank

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 29, 2023 13:12

But what's left 10 years later ? Apparently nothing judging by his complete lack of activity for 5+ years.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 29, 2023 13:26

I can only echo what some others have said: I suspect he’s retired. Like other retiree’s, he keeps himself to himself. I’m sure he fills his day.

Date: April 30, 2023 18:52

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 30, 2023 21:52

I wish he would have recorded a tribute album to Albert King or Freddie King like others have done for Robert Johnson. It's so much easier to get your music out there these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-30 21:52 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 30, 2023 22:13

At least we have this:

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 30, 2023 22:26

Thanks for the beautiful picture.

Given the length of this thread and the fact that it was created in 2015 because of the high number of Taylor threads in earlier years made it necessary to group all those discussions into one place, I get the feeling that Taylor would have sold quite a few units of solo albums from the mid-00s through the 2010s, if he had chosen to record new material during that era.

Having only picked up "Stranger in this Town" in 2014, after having first read about it in a mailorder catalogue back in 1993 or 94 when I first got into the Rolling Stones' music, and not buying it then because teenage me had an odd snobbish prejudice against live albums (a mistake on my behalf), I must say that the lack of new solo material during this era of classic rock revival seems like a missed opportunity, at least from an economical perspective. The artist himself would probably disagree on that because things surely didn't turn out that way for a reason and touring surely did produce a steady and less risky income and a routine that working towards studio recordings and putting them out would not have done in immediately the same manner. Yet, even late-era collaborative recordings such as Miyuki Katsuno's "Mick and I" album from 2001 (which I was lucky to find a used-CD of) that present Taylor's guitar in an environment that's bordering on smooth jazz at times mostly due to Katsuno's programmed beat pre-settings, impress with a fluidity that makes you wonder what could have been.

As with every artist, I'm thankful for all the beautiful and stunning music that we did get, and which the artist did indeed record so the world can enjoy it at a later date, too.
Unfortunately, when Taylor's European tour stopped at the town I went to school in during 1990, I was still too young to bother about it and too young to enjoy the kind of music, though I did notice the promo posters on billboards and was aware of Rolling Stones albums in my parents' collection, which they did praise as great, though they didn't really play them anymore, because I as a little child, I was really fond of silence and would cry at rock music coming from car stereos parked across the street in the summer when the windows were open, which shut up their own music consumption until I got into listening to music myself at around 10 / 11 years of age. And by that time, my parents didn't care that much about music anymore and thus missed the Taylor gig as well. I found a video from that gig of Blondie Chaplin singing "Semolina". What a rarity of a performance I missed out on because I was too young to enjoy it.

By the way, I would have had a chance to view the Rolling Stones in Düsseldorf in 2017 as part of their Blue And Lonesome tour, but, having just recently recovered from a period of economic hardship of sorts with the first paycheck from my then-new job, I rather chose to spend it on new furniture for a new apartment instead, most notably, a new bed that remains very cozy to this day.

Both fans and artists alike make choices every day and music is not always our highest priority. Yet, it's always fun when we meet at a performance. And if we don't, there are always the recordings to go to. Thank you for the music.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 1, 2023 00:34

billwebster
Thanks for the beautiful picture.

Given the length of this thread and the fact that it was created in 2015 because of the high number of Taylor threads in earlier years made it necessary to group all those discussions into one place, I get the feeling that Taylor would have sold quite a few units of solo albums from the mid-00s through the 2010s, if he had chosen to record new material during that era.

Having only picked up "Stranger in this Town" in 2014, after having first read about it in a mailorder catalogue back in 1993 or 94 when I first got into the Rolling Stones' music, and not buying it then because teenage me had an odd snobbish prejudice against live albums (a mistake on my behalf), I must say that the lack of new solo material during this era of classic rock revival seems like a missed opportunity, at least from an economical perspective. The artist himself would probably disagree on that because things surely didn't turn out that way for a reason and touring surely did produce a steady and less risky income and a routine that working towards studio recordings and putting them out would not have done in immediately the same manner. Yet, even late-era collaborative recordings such as Miyuki Katsuno's "Mick and I" album from 2001 (which I was lucky to find a used-CD of) that present Taylor's guitar in an environment that's bordering on smooth jazz at times mostly due to Katsuno's programmed beat pre-settings, impress with a fluidity that makes you wonder what could have been.

As with every artist, I'm thankful for all the beautiful and stunning music that we did get, and which the artist did indeed record so the world can enjoy it at a later date, too.
Unfortunately, when Taylor's European tour stopped at the town I went to school in during 1990, I was still too young to bother about it and too young to enjoy the kind of music, though I did notice the promo posters on billboards and was aware of Rolling Stones albums in my parents' collection, which they did praise as great, though they didn't really play them anymore, because I as a little child, I was really fond of silence and would cry at rock music coming from car stereos parked across the street in the summer when the windows were open, which shut up their own music consumption until I got into listening to music myself at around 10 / 11 years of age. And by that time, my parents didn't care that much about music anymore and thus missed the Taylor gig as well. I found a video from that gig of Blondie Chaplin singing "Semolina". What a rarity of a performance I missed out on because I was too young to enjoy it.

By the way, I would have had a chance to view the Rolling Stones in Düsseldorf in 2017 as part of their Blue And Lonesome tour, but, having just recently recovered from a period of economic hardship of sorts with the first paycheck from my then-new job, I rather chose to spend it on new furniture for a new apartment instead, most notably, a new bed that remains very cozy to this day.

Both fans and artists alike make choices every day and music is not always our highest priority. Yet, it's always fun when we meet at a performance. And if we don't, there are always the recordings to go to. Thank you for the music.

This is a great post and thanks for sharing.

Taylor pointed out upon reflection that he needed a producer—just like the Rolling Stones needed during their early period. I believe if he had a capable producer—hell even a Glyn Johns-type who acts more of a facilitator, albeit a brilliant engineer—his solo career would have started out on the right foot, As fortune would have it, he was already a rock star and figured he could self-produce which is an incredibly hard job. Jagger and Richards basically studied Jimmy Miller and stole all the things that made those records unique.

I think you make an excellent point about the steady touring income in the 80's and 90's, which also included reserving his studio work to guest appearances. The Carla Olson stuff is well worth seeking out if you haven't already.

Personally, I love live bootlegs and if you can get past some of the poor audio quality, you can hear some fantastic guitar playing. The Bob Dylan stuff of course, there are a couple tours in the 90's with what is essentially a garage band playing in the States and Japan featuring Taylor (some of his playing is really inspired), and a short tour with Terry Reid, all come to mind outside of his solo stuff.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 4, 2023 19:39

MelBelli

This is the first time I've ever found myself disagreeing with something you've written.

The last five minutes of the Glastonbury Can't You Hear Me Knocking are so good it brings a tear to my eye

[www.youtube.com]

-R

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 4, 2023 21:25

I am spending this week in Philly. Just left the Philadelphia Art Museum where I bumped into Ronnie Wood in 2013. Taylor just blew the audience away the night before during CYHMK and Rambler.

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: May 4, 2023 21:28

Reagan
MelBelli

This is the first time I've ever found myself disagreeing with something you've written.

The last five minutes of the Glastonbury Can't You Hear Me Knocking are so good it brings a tear to my eye

[www.youtube.com]

-R

I agree about Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Absolutely fantastic. Mick Taylor was excellent during that tour; Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor was (for me) the absolute highlight of the setlist during that tour!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 4, 2023 22:52

MelBelli

Taylor was commissioned for two or three songs a night. I see it was together as a precaution and a trap, even I was so happy to see him back.

Precaution, so Taylors would not steal too much of the show, and also because the Stones would not be branded a nostalgia act.

Trap, because Taylor sometimes overplayed, including in posture, so to score and use 200% these two songs spots, to the risk of loosng his legendary coolness with the band...

Date: May 4, 2023 23:00

Reagan
MelBelli

[www.youtube.com]

-R

He had his moments in 2013-14, to be sure. What I said comes from a place of reverence. I recently saw a clip of playing “Red House” in the late-‘80s. I was struck by how good he still was — and how differently and expansively he was able to improvise. He’s a long way from where he was then.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 4, 2023 23:03

I just discovered the one song (I believe it's just one) Mick Taylor is credited with Gong.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Expresso II

No. Title Writer(s) Length
1. "Heavy Tune" Pierre Moerlen 6:22

Pierre Moerlen's Gong
Pierre Moerlen – drums, vibraphone, xylophone, glockenspiel, tympani, tubular bells
Benoît Moerlen – vibraphone, marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel, percussion, claves, tubular bells
Mireille Bauer – marimba, vibraphone
Hansford Rowe – bass, rhythm guitar (2)
Additional personnel
Mick Taylor – lead guitar (1)

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 5, 2023 01:00

MelBelli

He had his moments in 2013-14, to be sure. What I said comes from a place of reverence. I recently saw a clip of playing “Red House” in the late-‘80s. I was struck by how good he still was — and how differently and expansively he was able to improvise. He’s a long way from where he was then.

First off, I should have ended my previous post with an "all due respect" valediction.

And I see your point and agree. Unfortunately, time waits for no one.

-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-05 01:07 by Reagan.

Date: May 5, 2023 03:38

Reagan
MelBelli

First off, I should have ended my previous post with an "all due respect" valediction.

And I see your point and agree. Unfortunately, time waits for no one.

-R

No disrespect detected! It’s all good. We love MT.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...289290291292293294295296297298299...LastNext
Current Page: 294 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home