Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...186187188189190191192193194195196...LastNext
Current Page: 191 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2016 18:56

Witness
HMS
MT is an EX-MEMBER how long will it take for some to get that! You dont make love to your ex-wife with your present wife in the same room, do you? You dont spend your holidays with your ex-wife who once left you out of the blue, you dont invite your cheating ex for christmas dinner. I m sick of hearing all the time what fools the Stones are not to get rid of Ronnie and take back MT again.

1) The analogy with the ex-wife is not necessarily that good for this issue, to put it mildly.
2) Those who plead Mick Taylor's cause, cannot be said to advocate a point of view that the band should get rid of Ronnie.

Regarding # 1 agreed, HMS comes up with another silly analogy.
As for #2, very true. Nobody is saying kick Ronnie out of the band (well maybe some have).
I'd be fully content with Ronnie staying in the band, but relegated to playing bass and replacing Darryl.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 18, 2016 19:15

Hairball

As for #2, very true. Nobody is saying kick Ronnie out of the band (well maybe some have).
I'd be fully content with Ronnie staying in the band, but relegated to playing bass and replacing Darryl.

Here´s another silly analogy:
"Listen darling, my ex-wife is a better cook than you´ll ever be. So she´s gonna live with us in the future and do the cooking, you can do the laundry."grinning smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 18, 2016 22:33

HMS
You dont make love to your ex-wife with your present wife in the same room, do you?

I did it. More than once, in fact. Seriously! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 18, 2016 22:44

alimente
HMS
You dont make love to your ex-wife with your present wife in the same room, do you?

And you got out alive? winking smiley

Date: April 18, 2016 22:44

HMS
Hairball

Here´s another silly analogy:
"Listen darling, my ex-wife is a better cook than you´ll ever be. So she´s gonna live with us in the future and do the cooking, you can do the laundry."grinning smiley

I wonder why your analogies never deal with music and creative artistry. All good and well, but let's go back to the basics, plain and simple:

Taylor is obviously not needed on songs like Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Get Off Of My Cloud, just to name a few (oh, and for what it's worth: Slipping Away and Streets Of Love), but his participation could help songs like Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil and some others out of the current borezone. Maybe some interesting guitar work could help even Miss You restoring it's 1978 glory...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 18, 2016 22:45

alimente
HMS

LOL I want your life!

Date: April 18, 2016 22:53

DandelionPowderman
alimente
HMS

Obviously! But aren't we getting a bit off-topic here because this thread's not about alimente's adventures but Mick Taylor's?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 19, 2016 01:02

DandelionPowderman
alimente
HMS

In Africa, tribe leaders have several women, present, past or whatever. Mick's main woman is Keith, the other ones are one standby - they come in when necessary.

Posted by: TaylorYears ()
Date: May 16, 2016 18:38

----------

Date: May 16, 2016 19:50

If the Stones are indeed releasing a blues cd, it would be nice if Mick Taylor has been involved on at least one of the tunes.
If they are including Eric Clapton, why not Mick Taylor?!!!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 16, 2016 20:34

Hairball
If the Stones are indeed releasing a blues cd, it would be nice if Mick Taylor has been involved on at least one of the tunes.

Because they don't want to.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 17, 2016 01:47

Hairball

I am a fan of Mick Taylor's playing. I loved him with the Stones as well as Dylan. The obvious answer to your question is because Eric Clapton doesn't play bars. It may sound rude, but Clapton is a star and outside of diehard Stones fans, Taylor is a has-been. It is hurtful to say, it reflects nothing of the talent he possesses, but he's not in the same pantheon they are. It doesn't matter that he helped secure their position, the business is cutthroat and Taylor would always be treated as a guy they were throwing a bone to for nostalgia's sake. Had his career recovered and he became an in-demand session guitarist respected as an authentic bluesman, it would be a different story. They respect him for his chops to a degree in that they will share a stage with him, but not enough to treat him like he's the equal of Clapton or Jeff Beck.

Date: May 17, 2016 05:00

Rocky Dijon
Hairball

I am a fan of Mick Taylor's playing. I loved him with the Stones as well as Dylan. The obvious answer to your question is because Eric Clapton doesn't play bars. It may sound rude, but Clapton is a star and outside of diehard Stones fans, Taylor is a has-been. It is hurtful to say, it reflects nothing of the talent he possesses, but he's not in the same pantheon they are. It doesn't matter that he helped secure their position, the business is cutthroat and Taylor would always be treated as a guy they were throwing a bone to for nostalgia's sake. Had his career recovered and he became an in-demand session guitarist respected as an authentic bluesman, it would be a different story. They respect him for his chops to a degree in that they will share a stage with him, but not enough to treat him like he's the equal of Clapton or Jeff Beck.

All very valid, and it's a darn shame.
Meanwhile, I'll listen to Love in Vain from Ya Ya's, and I got the Blues (studio and live versions)...the last blues tunes from the Stones that really mattered.

Date: May 17, 2016 05:08

I'll raise my glass to the salt of the earth as well. There were brief moments with Taylor - especially "Silver Train" - that were like little miracles. While Keith and Ronnie were in great form on "All Down the Line" for the STRIPPED shows, imagine what it would have been like with Taylor from 2012-2014. Ditto "Tumbling Dice," "Happy," "Wild Horses," and on and on.

Date: May 17, 2016 15:13

Rocky Dijon
I'll raise my glass to the salt of the earth as well. There were brief moments with Taylor - especially "Silver Train" - that were like little miracles. While Keith and Ronnie were in great form on "All Down the Line" for the STRIPPED shows, imagine what it would have been like with Taylor from 2012-2014. Ditto "Tumbling Dice," "Happy," "Wild Horses," and on and on.

As long as Ronnie is able to play the way he did on Sticky Fingers Live, there is absolutely no need for MT, in fact never was... if he´s ideed the greatest guitar hero of all time why the hell he did never had a career, why he isnt a sought-after session player, why he isnt a tour-player for other superstars, why doesnt he lead a supergroup of his own? He´s only great in the minds of Taylorites, I guess. It seems nobody else cares for him.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 17, 2016 17:38

HMS
Rocky Dijon

As long as Ronnie is able to play the way he did on Sticky Fingers Live, there is absolutely no need for MT, in fact never was... if he´s ideed the greatest guitar hero of all time why the hell he did never had a career, why he isnt a sought-after session player, why he isnt a tour-player for other superstars, why doesnt he lead a supergroup of his own? He´s only great in the minds of Taylorites, I guess. It seems nobody else cares for him.

I'll get sucked into your web of stupid one more time, but take any poll of musicians, past or present, and guess who they'd care for more?

Date: May 17, 2016 17:51

If a magazine would ask for the twenty greatest guitar players of all time, I doubt that his name gets mentioned. In fact there are dozens and dozens of more skilled guitar-players around. Let´s not overestimate MT´s value. No artists ever ask him to contribute to their recordings, except some obscure dutch or swedish blues-bands, that says enough about what other musicians think of MT. Not even the blues-revival some years ago could lift him up from the bottom. Only die-hard-fans are aware of his existence. Most of today´s music journalists dont even know his name, I guess.

Date: May 17, 2016 18:05

Seemingly the Stones (Keith, Mick, and Charlie) still know his name and his 'value', and have the ultimate respect for his guitar skills. Otherwise, Mick J.would have never asked him to contribute to 'Plundered' for the Exile re-release. As minimal as a contribution it was, he left his mark all over the tune. And because of their awe and respect for his virtuoso playing and the stamp he left on the band, he was invited for the 50th Tour - his guitar playing was the shining highlight throughout the entire tour. They only allowed him 3-4 tunes probably because they didn't want him to steal all the thunder, but even at 3 - 4 tunes, he was the talk of every show. Sadly, and for one reason or another, the 'reunion' didn't continue after that to the dismay of many fans. He could have given their studio recordings the oomph they've been missing for many years, but it is what it is...

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: May 17, 2016 18:35

HMS
If a magazine would ask for the twenty greatest guitar players of all time, I doubt that his name gets mentioned. In fact there are dozens and dozens of more skilled guitar-players around. Let´s not overestimate MT´s value. No artists ever ask him to contribute to their recordings, except some obscure dutch or swedish blues-bands, that says enough about what other musicians think of MT. Not even the blues-revival some years ago could lift him up from the bottom. Only die-hard-fans are aware of his existence. Most of today´s music journalists dont even know his name, I guess.

Well, this is from a pretty well-known magazine. Not top 20, but #37 ain't bad for a guy that was only in the mainstream for a few years.Keith was #4 on this list, Ronnie nowhere in sight.

[www.rollingstone.com]

eye rolling smileyRe: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 18, 2016 01:20

thumbs up

Date: May 18, 2016 01:46

HMS
Rocky Dijon

I never said a word against Ronnie. I love Ronnie and love his first five solo albums. Oddly enough appreciating Taylor and Ronnie are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 18, 2016 12:12

RollingFreak
alimente
HMS

LOL I want your life!

Have you MET his wives???

Rod

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 18, 2016 14:36

RollingFreak
alimente
HMS

LOL I want your life!

...his life ?! I want his WIFE !!! smoking smiley

Date: May 18, 2016 14:43

RoughJusticeOnYa
RollingFreak
alimente
HMS

LOL I want your life!

...his life ?! I want his WIFE !!! smoking smiley

Which one?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 18, 2016 20:50

Please do not post personal opinions about private individuals on IORR. Any such posts will be deleted.

Bjornulf

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 19, 2016 08:20

HMS

My opinion is: fame which goes along with being well known, has nothing to do with being a great guitar player. These polls always seem to have the well known players listed near the top and not necessarily the best. In other words the polls are more a showing of fame as opposed whom is the best player.

Date: May 19, 2016 08:41

And there is no "best", only uniqueness.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 19, 2016 09:06

DandelionPowderman
And there is no "best", only uniqueness.

Well put!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 19, 2016 09:49

Maybe not top 20, but No. 37 on Rolling Stone. Not bad. Ronnie is not there at all

37 - Mick Taylor

mick taylor
Michael Putland/Getty Images
"I was in awe sometimes listening to Mick Taylor," Keith Richards wrote in his memoir. "Everything was there in his playing – the melodic touch, a beautiful sustain and a way of reading a song." Taylor was only 20 when the Rolling Stones recruited him from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers as the replacement for Brian Jones in 1969. His impact, on masterworks such as Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers, was immediate. The down-and-dirty slide on "Love in Vain"; the jaw-dropping precision on "All Down the Line" (where his playing brilliantly mimics the sound of a harmonica); the extended, Latin-jazz-inflected coda on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" – it's no accident that Taylor's stint coincided with the Stones' most consistently great recordings. "He was a very fluent, melodic player... and it gave me something to follow, to bang off," Mick Jagger said of Taylor, who left the band in 1974. "Some people think that's the best version of the band that existed."

Key Tracks: "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "All Down the Line"

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 19, 2016 10:22

The current Rolling Stone list of 100 guitar players might be
very helpful to HMS.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...186187188189190191192193194195196...LastNext
Current Page: 191 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home