Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...188189190191192193194195196197198...LastNext
Current Page: 193 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 20, 2016 23:50

Btw, here´s a question:
MT played in 1981 with the Stones in Kansas City if memory serves well. On which songs did he play with them?

Ah, look what I´ve found (from wikipedia - The Rolling Stones American Tour 1981):

+++Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance. Ronnie Wood was not happy with Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos."++++

quite haughty behaviour, I think...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 20, 2016 23:50

Worth noting he joined them when they were at their physical and artistic peak -- young, hungry, energetic, brimming with ideas.
He joined a band with the best rhythm guitarist alive who was somehow willing to give up his preference for weaving to let MT focus on his leads.
Ronnie might have done just as well had he joined at that time.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 21, 2016 01:49

HMS
Btw, here´s a question:
MT played in 1981 with the Stones in Kansas City if memory serves well. On which songs did he play with them?

Ah, look what I´ve found (from wikipedia - The Rolling Stones American Tour 1981):

+++Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance. Ronnie Wood was not happy with Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos."++++

How would Ronnie even remember...he was known to be out of his gourd 99% of the time on booze and cocaine.
Even by his own admission, he was reckless while binging on massive amounts of drugs and alcohol.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 21, 2016 02:03

Hairball
HMS
Btw, here´s a question:

How would Ronnie even remember...he was known to be out of his gourd 99% of the time on booze and cocaine.
Even by his own admission, he was reckless while binging on massive amounts of drugs and alcohol.

Let's stay on topic.
MT Talk: "He was sober all the time".

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 21, 2016 12:40

HMS
Btw, here´s a question:

And yet anyone who's listened to the diferent boots will notice that if there is anyone who overplays, etc it is in fact one Ronnie Wood. that is fact, its not disputable, listen to that gig, then the ones before and after and listen to Ronnie Wood overplay. To me it just comes across as a cheap shot thats not true and became an urban myth.

just listen to the boots. this has been discussed so many times on here yet you still get this p00p quote from Ronnie 'i was asked to join led zep' Wood. i mean come on, pathetic!!

both play well together, and its a cryin shame theres probly no prospect of Taylor playing again if you go off the general consensus. totally pointless sayin who's better etc bores the cr@p out of me recyclin the same old same old but with nothing new added

Date: May 21, 2016 16:10

No one overplayed on that gig. However, Taylor may have been loud on stage.

Date: June 23, 2016 14:06

HMS
His playing with the big boys like Oldfield, Dylan, Mayall, Bruce and so on happened decades ago.

And none of them seemed to feel any desire to play with him again. Maybe working with him is an unpleasant experience, who knows. Maybe once again his haughtiness is to blame, I dont know.

Not true, he made his decisions and it's his life to live it however he chose to do so. Not everyone is Rolling Stones material, no matter how talented, it takes more than just guitar-playing ability. You have to be able to roll and he just couldnt do it. He had his reasons so lets not reduce his life into a joke. Have some respect man!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 23, 2016 14:22

ExileonTaylorStreet
HMS
His playing with the big boys like Oldfield, Dylan, Mayall, Bruce and so on happened decades ago.

And none of them seemed to feel any desire to play with him again. Maybe working with him is an unpleasant experience, who knows. Maybe once again his haughtiness is to blame, I dont know.

Not true, he made his decisions and it's his life to live it however he chose to do so. Not everyone is Rolling Stones material, no matter how talented, it takes more than just guitar-playing ability. You have to be able to roll and he just couldnt do it. He had his reasons so lets not reduce his life into a joke. Have some respect man!

It is a valid question; and (therefore, a.o.) I see no disrespect whatsoever...
That is: as long as one doesn't confuse 'respect ' with 'reverence '.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 23, 2016 17:51

Try to find a John Mayall quote that says Taylor is hard to work with. Hard working, yes, you will see that everywhere. Taylor was bored with the Stones and quit; remember, they didn't want to tour It's Only Rock & Roll?

We can talk about this subject forever, and there will always be people like HMS whose first experience with the band was post-Taylor so they defend that era to the death despite the general decline of quality in performance and material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-23 17:53 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 23, 2016 18:54

lapaz62
I seem to remember something about Mark Knopfler having some issues with Dylan during Infidels, seem to remember Knopfler not wanting to work with Dylan again.

Not "during" but when it was time to pick ttack for the final verison of "Infidels" Dylan ditched the masterpieces and kept all the drek (apart from album opener/locomotive "Jokerman" which is a wonderful song).

I mean dicthing "Foot Of Pride' and "Blind Willie McTell" and keeping "Union Sundown" or "Neighborhood Bully" is enoguh to make anyone cry... apart from Phil Spector who would have found the idea "great"! >grinning smiley<

Date: June 23, 2016 20:26

If Neighborhood Bully had a better mix it'd be great.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:05

dcba
lapaz62
I seem to remember something about Mark Knopfler having some issues with Dylan during Infidels, seem to remember Knopfler not wanting to work with Dylan again.

Not "during" but when it was time to pick ttack for the final verison of "Infidels" Dylan ditched the masterpieces and kept all the drek (apart from album opener/locomotive "Jokerman" which is a wonderful song).

I mean dicthing "Foot Of Pride' and "Blind Willie McTell" and keeping "Union Sundown" or "Neighborhood Bully" is enoguh to make anyone cry... apart from Phil Spector who would have found the idea "great"! >grinning smiley<

ah! i know nothing on this, have you any more info (and links to the missing music?) was there a pencil sketch of a potential track list? i love this kinda stuff - my fav obviously being SMiLE - the ultimate jigsaw smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2016 00:36

It was the mix Knopfler freaked out about, not the selection of songs.

Neighbourhood Bully rocks, btw.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 24, 2016 10:58

Ronnie plays a wonderful guitar on Totally Stripped ;-)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2016 11:45

Captainchaos

ah! i know nothing on this, have you any more info (and links to the missing music?) was there a pencil sketch of a potential track list? i love this kinda stuff - my fav obviously being SMiLE - the ultimate jigsaw smiling smiley

The "Infidels" outtakes have been circulating since the mid-90's :
[www.bobsboots.com]

And the official "Bootleg Series 1-3" has "Foot Of Pride" and one of the two known versions of "Blind Willie McTell".

Yeah Bob's so good he can record two versions of oen of his best songs, each one being a masterpiece! grinning smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 24, 2016 22:54

TravelinMan
Try to find a John Mayall quote that says Taylor is hard to work with. Hard working, yes, you will see that everywhere. Taylor was bored with the Stones and quit; remember, they didn't want to tour It's Only Rock & Roll?

We can talk about this subject forever, and there will always be people like HMS whose first experience with the band was post-Taylor so they defend that era to the death despite the general decline of quality in performance and material.

John Mayall has invited Mick Taylor to play with him on and on the last many years inclusive 2016. So, there is no bad feelings between them.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 25, 2016 12:02

mtaylor
TravelinMan

John Mayall has invited Mick Taylor to play with him on and on the last many years inclusive 2016. So, there is no bad feelings between them.

thumbs up

Date: June 25, 2016 17:36

mtaylor
TravelinMan

My post was in response to the person who said Taylor was hard to work with. I brought up Mayall to disprove their claim.

Date: June 25, 2016 18:21

TravelinMan
Taylor was bored with the Stones and quit; remember, they didn't want to tour It's Only Rock & Roll?

Maybe they didnt want to tour because they knew how hard it would be to stop MT from noodling and noodling and noodling and noodling?smoking smiley

Btw, you can notice some sort of decline even during MT´s tenure. IORR and GHS are a few steps down from the peak compared to SF and (parts of) Exile.

Yes, of course Taylor was bored with the Stones, he is a virtuoso player and in the musical world of the Stones there´s hardly room for virtuosity. Their true sound was and is raw, rough and edgy, so MT´s way of playing is not really fitting. His playing is more jazz-like, fluid and sophisticated. That, imo, was the main problem. He had better been in a band that had allowed him to stretch out. He recorded four albums with the Stones and they gave him only very few chances to really shine. They simply had no use for a MT-type of player.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 25, 2016 19:01

HMS
TravelinMan
Taylor was bored with the Stones and quit; remember, they didn't want to tour It's Only Rock & Roll?

Maybe they didnt want to tour because they knew how hard it would be to stop MT from noodling and noodling and noodling and noodling?smoking smiley

Btw, you can notice some sort of decline even during MT´s tenure. IORR and GHS are a few steps down from the peak compared to SF and (parts of) Exile.

Yes, of course Taylor was bored with the Stones, he is a virtuoso player and in the musical world of the Stones there´s hardly room for virtuosity. Their true sound was and is raw, rough and edgy, so MT´s way of playing is not really fitting. His playing is more jazz-like, fluid and sophisticated. That, imo, was the main problem. He had better been in a band that had allowed him to stretch out. He recorded four albums with the Stones and they gave him only very few chances to really shine. They simply had no use for a MT-type of player.

Yeah, it's been a long way down from Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) or Time Waits For No One to Fight or Hold Back...

Date: June 25, 2016 21:23

alimente
Yeah, it's been a long way down from Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) or Time Waits For No One to Fight or Hold Back...

I can see no "way down". Any much younger band would have been proud to sound so energetic, vital, angry and violent as the aging Rockin Rollin Stones did in 1986! Fight & Hold Back are true gems that can truly blow you away and yet are not even among DW´s finest tracks... I doubt that they had achieved that rough, almost brutal and angry sound with MT in the group. I love both songs from the bottom of my Stones-heart. Btw, I love Heartbreaker too. Time Waits For No One, imo, is a bore.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:47

HMS
alimente

I can see no "way down". Any much younger band would have been proud to sound so energetic, vital, angry and violent as the aging Rockin Rollin Stones did in 1986! Fight & Hold Back are true gems that can truly blow you away and yet are not even among DW´s finest tracks... I doubt that they had achieved that rough, almost brutal and angry sound with MT in the group. I love both songs from the bottom of my Stones-heart. Btw, I love Heartbreaker too. Time Waits For No One, imo, is a bore.

They may sound "energetic, vital, angry and violent" or not, but imo they are trash not really worth being added to the canon of officially released Stones songs. It's just a sound but no songwriting quality at all. They left much better stuff from the SG sessions in the can only a few years earlier. Fight & Hold Back would not have been given a second thought 10 a decade earlier, in fact I doubt that anyone would have even dared to bring song sketches like these to a Stones recording session! They were the Stones, man - and not some upcoming younger band.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 26, 2016 05:24

How did this devolve to DW discussion? Never mind, I don't want to know.
It's like asking how did you step in dog poo; I mean you would've avoided it if you saw it. You kind of knew something was smelling bad in the area.
It's best to just throw away the footwear and not try to even hose it down. Take the loss, walk away barefoot and clean. Run away. As fast as you can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 22:42 by hopkins.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 26, 2016 05:24

HMS
TravelinMan

Those few chances to shine are arguably more than Ronnie's had, or taken, in 40 years on Stones albums. Nobody but diehards could probably name 3 Ronnie Moments in all that time. One album with the Faces provides more interesting things. He's just along for the ride now.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 26, 2016 07:23

Noodling haughty Noodling. lol. DW their highlight bwhaaaaaaa.

A partial list of a magnificent career. Glims made him a "full Stone" from the gitgo, like they didn't know what they were doing?? Funny how Keith and Ron invited them into their solo projects, in Ron's case very many of them.

Imagine a 'fan' preferring DW to the golden era. I was alive and a fan at the time in NYC. Their entire legacy as an important, soon to be unequaled live act with brilliance and credibility rested on having an ace guitarist in the line-up with the great KR. Liver Than You'll Ever Be and other boots FORCED the Stones to put out Ya-Ya's. lol. Mick Taylor, like Bill Wyman, an eternal Rolling Stone.

A great inventive rhythm player too with those delicious little country accents.
He was magnificent and every Stone fan, and casual fan, listens to Taylor era Stones all the time. I'm not going to put down Ron. but what MickT contributed and inspired and accomplished in the Stones is inestimable. And gorgeous. And hot hot hot.

With John Mayall's Bluesbreakers[edit]
Crusade (Decca, 1967/LP, 1987/CD)
Diary of a Band Volume 1 & 2 (Decca, 1968/LP)
Bare Wires (Decca, 1968/LP, 1988/CD )
Blues from Laurel Canyon (Decca, 1968/LP, 1989/CD)
Primal Solos (Decca, 1969/LP)
Back to the Roots (Polydor, 1971/LP, 2001 on 2CD)
Return of the Bluesbreakers (AIM, 1985/LP, 1993/CD)
The 1982 Reunion Concert (Repertoire records, 1994/CD) with John Mayall, Mick Taylor, Colin Allen and John McVie
Wake Up Call (1993)
Silver Tones – The Best of John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers (Silvertone Records, 1998)
Along for the Ride (2001)
Rolling with the Blues (2003) – selection of live recordings '72–'82
Essentially John Mayall (Eagle Rock Records, 2007) 5-CD Box Set

With The Rolling Stones:
Through the Past, Darkly (1969) (compilation) UK/US #2
Taylor plays on "Honky Tonk Women"
Let It Bleed (1969) UK #1 / US #3
Taylor plays on "Country Honk" and "Live With Me"
Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! (1970) UK #1 / US #6
Sticky Fingers (1971) UK/US #1
Gimme Shelter (1971) (compilation) UK #19
Hot Rocks 1964–1971 (1972) (compilation) UK #3 / US #4
Exile on Main St. (1972) UK/US #1
Rock'n'Rolling Stones (1972) (compilation) UK #41
Goats Head Soup (1973) UK/US #1
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974) UK #2 / US #1
Made in the Shade (1975) (compilation of hits 1971–74) UK #14 / US #6
Metamorphosis (1975) UK #45 / US #8
Taylor plays on "I Don't Know Why" and "Jiving Sister Fanny".
Rolled Gold: The Very Best of the Rolling Stones (1975) (compilation) UK #7
Get Stoned (30 Greatest Hits) (1977) (compilation) UK #8
Sucking in the Seventies (1981) (compilation of hits, album cuts and outtakes 1974–1981) US #15
Tattoo You (1981) UK #2 / US #1
Taylor plays on "Tops" and "Waiting on a Friend", both tracks recorded in 1972 during the Goats Head Soup sessions.
In Concert (Rolling Stones album) (1982) (live compilation 1966-1969) UK #94
Story of The Stones (1982) (compilation) UK #24
Rewind (1984) (compilation of hits 1971–83) UK #23 / US #86
Singles Collection: The London Years. (1989) (compilation of singles 1963–71) US #91
Jump Back: The Best of The Rolling Stones (1993) (compilation of hits 1971–89) UK #16 / US #30
Forty Licks (2002) (compilation 1964–2002) UK/US #2
Rarities 1971–2003 (2005) US #76
Taylor plays on "Let It Rock" (live 1971) and the 1974 b-side "Through The Lonely Nights".
Exile On Main St. (Rarities Edition) (2010) (Target Exclusive) US #27
Taylor plays on "Pass The Wine (Sophia Loren)", "Plundered My Soul", "I'm Not Signifying", "Loving Cup (Alternate Take)", "Soul Survivor (Alternate Take)" and "Good Time Women".
Brussels Affair (2011) 1973 live performance
GRRR! (2012) (compilation 1963–2012) UK #3 / US #19
Hyde Park Live (2013) (2013 live performance) UK #16 / US #19
Taylor plays guitar on "Midnight Rambler", acoustic guitar and backing vocals on "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
Non-Rolling Stones work with Rolling Stones members:

Pay Pack & Follow (John Phillips, first official release by Eagle Rock Records, 2001)
from 1973–1979 recording sessions in London aka "Half Stoned" sessions
produced by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
I've Got My Own Album to Do (Ronnie Wood solo album) (1974)
Now Look (Ronnie Wood solo album) (July 1975) US #118
Gimme Some Neck (Ronnie Wood solo album) (April 1979) US #45
Talk Is Cheap (Keith Richards solo album) (1988) UK #37 / US #24
With Jack Bruce[edit]
Live on the Old Grey Whistle Test (Strange Fruit, 1995). Tracks from several Whistle Test shows recorded between '75 and '81. Seven of the songs feature Taylor on guitar.
Live at the Manchester Free Trade Hall (2 CD, Polydor, 2003)
With Bob Dylan[edit]
Infidels (1983) UK # 9 / US #20
Real Live (In Europe, 1984) (1984) UK #54 / US #115
Empire Burlesque (1985) UK #11 / US #33
The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 (1991) UK #32 / US #49

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 26, 2016 09:22

Thanks Hopkins. That's laying it on the line.

Used to enjoy Ronnie Wood with Faces but his major contribution to the Stones
was being Keith's drug buddy.

Posted by: TaylorYears ()
Date: June 26, 2016 15:47

--------

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2016 18:43

stonesrule
Thanks Hopkins. That's laying it on the line.

Used to enjoy Ronnie Wood with Faces but his major contribution to the Stones
was being Keith's drug buddy.

And someone for Mick to kick around.

StonesCat
Nobody but diehards could probably name 3 Ronnie Moments in all that time. One album with the Faces provides more interesting things. He's just along for the ride now.

I can't even name 3 Ronnie guitar 'moments' with the Stones that stand out as significantly memorable and great.
His rhythm and 'weaving' with Keith deserves mention, but can't think of any truly great solos that compare with any other top lead guitar player.
His most memorable moments are his antics on stage - like eating a banana when being introduced (or was it during the final bow)?.
With that said, Ronnie's got a great personality and has fit in well with the Stones, especially since their decline began back in c. '82.
But I can't help but think how a truly great guitar player of Mick Taylor's calibur might have changed things for the better during these past 35+ years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-26 18:44 by Hairball.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: June 26, 2016 19:28

--------

Date: June 26, 2016 19:41

The Stones arent the type of group to have a guitar-player step into the spotlight and do a three-minute-plus solo, they arent Deep Purple. They are a unit. Everybody contributes to their sound, it´s not about soloing (did Charlie ever a drum-solo? No.). With Ronnie they found back to the ancient art of weaving, interplay is more important than starring. It´s the riffs and the licks and the weaving. That is what the Stones are all about. No super-guitar-hero needed to create "memorable moments".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...188189190191192193194195196197198...LastNext
Current Page: 193 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home