Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:26

GasLightStreet
That really rough working take of Loving Cup... I don't hear any slide guitar in it. What y'all talkin' about?

I'm not sure it is slide in the right speaker either. Sounds like Richards playing lead and maybe sliding into notes with his fingers. Taylor is in the left speaker playing harmonic accompaniment.

Re: Mick Taylor sidelined yet again
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:29

HMS

Yes, it´s Taylor playing on some of their greatest albums but it could be anybody really. IMO,any skillful player could have been doing the job and would be worshipped today. It´s the Jagger/Richards-combination that created the early-70s masterpieces. Taylor is just the cherry on the cake

I think you're right! Taylor is an exceptional embellisher of songs but when there's nothing really good to play on, well... Taylorites have yet to explain why their idol couldn't save a mediocre album like IORR. smoking smiley

And it's certainly not Taylor who would push the band to work yet another afternoon on that riff to make it come alive. It was either Mick or Keef.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 27, 2016 20:00

dcba
HMS

Yes, it´s Taylor playing on some of their greatest albums but it could be anybody really. IMO,any skillful player could have been doing the job and would be worshipped today. It´s the Jagger/Richards-combination that created the early-70s masterpieces. Taylor is just the cherry on the cake

I think you're right! Taylor is an exceptional embellisher of songs but when there's nothing really good to play on, well... Taylorites have yet to explain why their idol couldn't save a mediocre album like IORR. smoking smiley

And it's certainly not Taylor who would push the band to work yet another afternoon on that riff to make it come alive. It was either Mick or Keef.

Welcome to the Taylor bashing troll patrol.

Date: July 27, 2016 20:06

Since it hasn't been mentioned here I'll highlight one great song penned by Taylor: Never Fall In Love Again. That's good writing thumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 27, 2016 20:47

shortfatfanny
dcba
HMS

Last 20 years recording activity certainly proves it. winking smiley

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 27, 2016 23:16

DandelionPowderman
Since it hasn't been mentioned here I'll highlight one great song penned by Taylor: Never Fall In Love Again. That's good writing thumbs up

That's a good song indeed. However, Taylor's forte was not songwriting, but playing Blues and Rock.

Date: July 28, 2016 00:43

DonParker
DandelionPowderman

That's a good song indeed. However, Taylor's forte was not songwriting, but playing Blues and Rock.

Credit where credit's due..

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 28, 2016 00:50

Witness
HMS
Just listen to Black And Blue. Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt. If Harvey Mandel would have been with the Stones in 1969-74 instead of MT the albums they made back then would still be masterpieces and would sound only slightly different. Maybe GHS and IORR would have been better albums in the end.

Your tireless campaign against Mick Taylor gives good evidence that there is much about his contribution to the Stones. If not, you would not have been so desperate to denigrate him. Only that you cannot stand his guitar style. However, that solo guitar of his belongs to one of the peaks of the Stones history. Not because of that only, but vitally also that.

Good luck striving on in your campaign. You give us a good reminder of Mick Taylor on each occasion. grinning smiley Are your paid for this mission?

Edit: omission of a word repeated.

thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 28, 2016 00:54

71Tele
Witness
HMS
Just listen to Black And Blue. Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt. If Harvey Mandel would have been with the Stones in 1969-74 instead of MT the albums they made back then would still be masterpieces and would sound only slightly different. Maybe GHS and IORR would have been better albums in the end.

Your tireless campaign against Mick Taylor gives good evidence that there is much about his contribution to the Stones. If not, you would not have been so desperate to denigrate him. Only that you cannot stand his guitar style. However, that solo guitar of his belongs to one of the peaks of the Stones history. Not because of that only, but vitally also that.

Good luck striving on in your campaign. You give us a good reminder of Mick Taylor on each occasion. grinning smiley Are your paid for this mission?

Edit: omission of a word repeated.

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 28, 2016 01:14

Good to see you back, Tele thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 28, 2016 01:27

Yes!

Date: July 28, 2016 02:37

stonesrule
Yes!

Good to be here...good to be anywhere.

Date: July 28, 2016 02:41

OK, back to hibernation. Have one on me everybody! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-28 09:34 by 71Tele.

Date: July 28, 2016 02:46

OK, I couldn't resist one more. To the "he was just a guitar player who happened to be there" crowd: No, he wasn't. He helped shape the music. During the GHS/IORR period he crafted and arranged (I will stay out of the "co-wrote" debate) much of the material with Jagger. I happen to think GHS is an overlooked minor masterpiece, IORR less so, but there is a mood of melancholy on particularly the ballads that has Mick Taylor's stamp all over it, and I believe he also inspired Jagger to come up with some of his most introspective material, or if not inspired, at least was the perfect complement to what Jagger was writing at the time.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2016 03:24

HMS

You (one again) ridicule yourself beyond belief and don't even notice it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 28, 2016 12:31

shortfatfanny

Welcome to the Taylor bashing patrol.

Bashing? I called him an exceptional embellisher. Where's the bashing?

MT cannot write a memorable tune to save his life (unless you think "Twisted Sister" is as good as a Stones song) that's fact not bashing.

And you could ask yourself one thing :
if Taylor brought everything that was good in the Stones's music circa 69-74 how come what he did with Jack Bruce in 75 was complete crap? Taylor was still young hot and t the height of his talent, right? How come his "genius" that had infused SF Exile and others did not infuse Bruce's horrible prog mush?

Answers?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2016 12:44

He´s just a player with almost no writing skills. He is lost without songs and he havent had a song since he left the Stones. Maybe another player would have added even more to albums like Exile, SF, GHS, IORR. We will never know... In fact he stretched out only a very times with the Stones, mostly on rather ridicilous Jagger-ballads, as can be found on GHS & IORR. He´s most prominent on two of the Stones´ most mediocre albums (GHS, IORR), has a spot on CYHMK & Sway and is very inconspicuous on Exile, has two overdubs on LIB. That´s not very much, imo. I dont know how can some people build a legend on that...

Date: July 28, 2016 13:00

I hear him pretty well on All Down The Line, Stop Breaking Down and Shine A Light, though..

Date: July 28, 2016 13:00

dcba
shortfatfanny

MT cannot write a memorable tune to save his life (unless you think "Twisted Sister" is as good as a Stones song) that's fact not bashing.

if Taylor brought everything that was good in the Stones's music circa 69-74 how come what he did with Jack Bruce in 75 was complete crap? Taylor was still young hot and t the height of his talent, right? How come his "genius" that had infused SF Exile and others did not infuse Bruce's horrible prog mush?

Answers?

It requires more than just being a good musician to make a career like let's say Jeff Beck. It's also about character, lifestyle, mentality, private circumstances etc. MT has done some great things over he years. Not for the bigger audience, but who are we to blame him for that? It's his life.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:02

I dont blame him for nothing. But I m asking myself how can he get so much praise for a few years and a few solos with the Stones, how can he enjoy lengendary status amongst fans and at the same time his efforts outside of the Stones-context are almost totally unappreciated. Makes me feel he was inspired by the Stones not the Stones inspired by him.

Date: July 28, 2016 14:11

------

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2016 15:29

shortfatfanny
dcba
HMS

To dcba...
here are your answers
what else than bashing is it when you quote in support some nonsense by the notorious HMS,highlighting a part of a ridiculous sentence?
Rolling a cherry followed by throwing stones at MT...well...respect towards the man is different in my opinion.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2016 16:38

DonParker
Taylor was the right guy at the right time.

And that's it. Just like Brian being the right guy for the years until 1968 and Ron being the right guy for Some Girls and the years thereafter. Since 1989, when the "Rolling Stones Orchestra" was invented, it does not matter anyway who's playing second fiddle to Keith. It could have been anyone, but Ron at least looks like a Stone.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2016 16:56

saltoftheearth
HMS
...let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt.

Come on, you can't be serious. In the age of the 'guitar god' Mick Taylor was just perfect because he was a terrific player, and he looked great (which was very important then, think only of Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc.! His shy image only added to his Appeal back then.

And nobody who ever listened to the live recordings from GYYYA to Brussels 1973 could Support your opinion that his influence was minimal. Unfortunately I was too young to attend a concert in 1973.

I tend to believe that Ron Wood was the right man for the 'punk years' and the Disco era. Nobody knows how the Stones would have developed if Taylor had stayed. But during the five years he was with the band he was the right man.

I will never undrestand how they could humiliate him so severley by taking him on tour basically for one song (Forget the acoustic guitar strumming on 'Satisfaction').

You do realise that you're talking to a pink, yellow, green, blue and red wall, right?

Date: July 28, 2016 17:00

HMS
He´s just a player with almost no writing skills. He is lost without songs and he havent had a song since he left the Stones. Maybe another player would have added even more to albums like Exile, SF, GHS, IORR. We will never know... In fact he stretched out only a very times with the Stones, mostly on rather ridicilous Jagger-ballads, as can be found on GHS & IORR. He´s most prominent on two of the Stones´ most mediocre albums (GHS, IORR), has a spot on CYHMK & Sway and is very inconspicuous on Exile, has two overdubs on LIB. That´s not very much, imo. I dont know how can some people build a legend on that...

Why don't you do all of us a favor and make a list of Taylor songs that stand out versus Wood songs that stand out with solos, leads and fills? I know that will be a challenge for you since you don't listen to anything with Taylor on it but go ahead, give it a shot.

Date: July 28, 2016 17:03

HMS
I dont blame him for nothing. But I m asking myself how can he get so much praise for a few years and a few solos with the Stones, how can he enjoy lengendary status amongst fans and at the same time his efforts outside of the Stones-context are almost totally unappreciated. Makes me feel he was inspired by the Stones not the Stones inspired by him.

I don't blame him for anything. His leaving the Stones was clearly the right decision. But since you're stuck on the guitar solo so few albums thing, provide some structure to what you mean.

I'll give you a head start: Honky Tonk Women. Yeah OK so he's only on 2 songs on LIB. But he recorded on more than 2 songs for LIB.

Date: July 28, 2016 19:14

dcba
shortfatfanny

Answers?

Twisted Sister and other songs from his self titled and A Stone's Throw albums are more enjoyable than many Stones songs from the 80's/90's. Jagger/Richards wrote a lot of garbage in addition to their many gems.

Date: July 28, 2016 19:18

TravelinMan
dcba
shortfatfanny

Answers?

Twisted Sister and other songs from his self titled and A Stone's Throw albums are more enjoyable than many Stones songs from the 80's/90's. Jagger/Richards wrote a lot of garbage in addition to their many gems.

Taylor should have gone solo while he was a known guitarist if he wanted to make a splash. By the time he went solo, he was out of the limelight. Keith Richards said his solo album was excellent, and Richards has penned some of the greatest rock songs ever! The Jack Bruce period was a drug-induced haze of self indulgence for all included. It is what it is, and couldn't be saved.

Date: July 28, 2016 19:25

HMS

Richards said his first album was excellent and Richards tells it the way it is.

He is legendary because he's the best live guitarist they've ever had. Of all the shows and bootlegs and all the drugs going around, he plays exceptionally clean without mistakes with an absolutely gorgeous tone. The same can't be said for any other guitarist in the band. He is a tried and true bluesman that meshed beautifully with the world's greatest R&R band.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:44

Broken Hands is the best blues rocker from 1979 and is on par with anything the glimmers have written after MT left. I find his two solo albums enjoyable to listen to and prefer them over any 80/90 stones release. Also MT has played on many artist studio records after he left the stones and enriched those songs.

The problem with MT is not his musical abilities as a songwriter - He was lazy and got fed up with the industry and played on the greatest songs records and got only 1 song credit. With John Mayall he got more song writing credits.

play the guitar boy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...193194195196197198199200201202203...LastNext
Current Page: 198 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home