Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...191192193194195196197198199200201...LastNext
Current Page: 196 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 30, 2016 18:19

HMS
They simply do not give credits (or almost do not).
Everybody in the band from Bill to MT to Ronnie should have known/should know that. You gotta live with it - or leave.

At least Ronnie got some credits early 80'ies.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 30, 2016 18:33

Nice post PalaceRev2000... I like the memories of being physically alone but still having you writing partner in your head... I gave credit on one of my songs to a vocalist who came nowhere close to the 'writing process'. When questioned by the guitarist about it, I explained that, I didn't write it for him to sing per se, but the entire time I was writing it, I heard his voice singing the melodies and lyrics as I worked through them.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Mick Taylor on the Rolling Stones, John Mayall, and Playing Guitar
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 7, 2016 07:42

Great read!

Re: Mick Taylor on the Rolling Stones, John Mayall, and Playing Guitar
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2016 08:19

How do you read it? There's no link.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 7, 2016 10:11

I guess this is the one it refers to:

Jas Obrecht

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 7, 2016 11:22

His gig with Ben Waters is coming up soon, isn't it?

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 7, 2016 11:34

Is it really Taylor playing the main acoustic guitar on Angie? I always thought it was Keith.

Date: July 7, 2016 11:36

z
Is it really Taylor playing the main acoustic guitar on Angie? I always thought it was Keith.

No, Taylor plays the 12 string a bit more down in the mix.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 8, 2016 19:56

exilestones

Great read!

Some how this got moved. Mot sure what happened to the link:

[jasobrecht.com]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 8, 2016 22:58

DandelionPowderman

Today ;

[mobile.twitter.com]

Date: July 8, 2016 23:08

thumbs up

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 9, 2016 00:46

Lien
DandelionPowderman

Today ;

[mobile.twitter.com]

Tonight! Any reviews!

Date: July 9, 2016 01:16

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 9, 2016 11:39

Where was Bill ?

~~ Bill Wyman & Mick Taylor with The Ben Waters Band, Natalie Williams Soul Family ft Sharlene Hector, Jose Feliciano, Eliane Correa, and Shakatak have been announced for the new PizzaExpress Live Stage. ~~

Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 14, 2016 15:10

I was interested to know if there are examples of Mick Taylor using modes in his solos or more exotic scales such as Harmonic and Melodic Minor? From the studio recordings he seems to stick to blues scales and natural minor but I wondered if there are any live shows that feature the more uncommon scales/modes mentioned above?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-14 15:11 by FP.

Date: July 14, 2016 15:48

FP
I was interested to know if there are examples of Mick Taylor using modes in his solos or more exotic scales such as Harmonic and Melodic Minor? From the studio recordings he seems to stick to blues scales and natural minor but I wondered if there are any live shows that feature the more uncommon scales/modes mentioned above?

I'm Free 1969
Street Fighting Man 1973

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 14, 2016 16:43

Would not it be nice, if he released a new album, did some gigs on his own, or with Ronnie.

Jeroen

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 14, 2016 17:40

FP

If my memory serves, he does some nice Allman Brothers-type playing on California from the John Mayall 70th birthday live album.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 15, 2016 14:13

DandelionPowderman
FP

I'm Free 1969
Street Fighting Man 1973

The only "exotic" scale played by Taylor can be heard on a song like "Spanish", the phrygian mode. He tended to play some minor pentonics rooted on the 2nd, 3th 5th and (ma)j7th of a major chord, with the Stones and more often with Jack Bruce and his 1979 solo record. Taylor never ever used a Melodic minor or Harmonic minor, certainly not in the classical/traditional context. I wish he would have done it smiling smiley

Date: July 15, 2016 14:40

del.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-15 14:41 by DonParker.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 15, 2016 17:59

DonParker
DandelionPowderman
FP

I'm Free 1969
Street Fighting Man 1973

The only "exotic" scale played by Taylor can be heard on a song like "Spanish", the phrygian mode. He tended to play some minor pentonics rooted on the 2nd, 3th 5th and (ma)j7th of a major chord, with the Stones and more often with Jack Bruce and his 1979 solo record. Taylor never ever used a Melodic minor or Harmonic minor, certainly not in the classical/traditional context. I wish he would have done it smiling smiley

A pentatonic scale includes: R 2 3 5 and 6 in major and those same notes rooted in the 6th are R b3 4 5 and b7 in the minor (Aeolian) mode. You probably know that, I'm just wondering what he was doing playing a pentatonic based off a major 7th, wouldn't that be Locrian mode? Which song does he do that on?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 15, 2016 18:00

Excuse me if this has been already linked on this huge thread, I couldn't go through almost 200 pages, but it's pretty comprehensive interview/overview about much of his career.

[jasobrecht.com]

Date: July 15, 2016 19:54

TravelinMan
I'm just wondering what he was doing playing a pentatonic based off a major 7th, wouldn't that be Locrian mode? Which song does he do that on?

A Cmaj7 (example) contains the tone B. So sometimes Taylor would play a Bmin pent over a Cmaj7. This creates a jazzy and nice melodic Cmaj7/9/#11. There are quite a few (live) outtakes performed by Taylor over the years were he does this, and it sounds very catchy. Jeff Beck and Steely Dan etc are even more interesting examples regarding this subject.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-15 19:55 by DonParker.

Date: July 16, 2016 16:53

DonParker
DandelionPowderman
FP

I'm Free 1969
Street Fighting Man 1973

For Taylor, the scales he picks a few notes from (that's what he does, really), are indeed "exotic" on the songs I mentioned (even though they're not Melodic minors or Harmonic minor).

He played by ear, not with music theoretical knowledge, I guess..

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 16, 2016 17:47

DandelionPowderman

I think he confirmed just that in an interview somewhere, sometime...

Actually, that's what I do, too. Whenever I thought too much in scales and fret positions, my playing began to sound a bit static for my own taste. That's when I started to rely more on my ears and my intuition.

Date: July 16, 2016 17:49

alimente
DandelionPowderman

Actually, that's what I do, too. Whenever I thought too much in scales and fret positions, my playing began to sound a bit static for my own taste. That's when I started to rely more on my ears and my intuition.

Same here smiling smiley

Date: July 16, 2016 19:18

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Same here smiling smiley

Taylor is a decent piano player for many years already so he will know the basic theoretical rules that are required for the music he's (was) playing.. But he plays by ear (certainly as a guitarist), and doesn't think cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-16 22:38 by DonParker.

Mick Taylor sidelined yet again
Date: July 26, 2016 00:01

Just got back from the "Exhibitionism" exhibition and enjoyed it a great deal. Even brought a tear to my eye as the stones have done for me over a many year c***s!

However, once again the contribution of the vibrato is undersold to the point of extraordinary ambivalence and makes me think keith might actually have a problem, (lord knows he has a few), with acknowledging the contribution MT made overall. I may be wrong but no sign of any of his guitars, although Jones guitars are there in abundance. Mick Taylor was a massive input to the best years of thier output. Why dont they acknowledge that?

Re: Mick Taylor sidelined yet again
Date: July 26, 2016 00:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-16 23:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Mick Taylor sidelined yet again
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 26, 2016 01:02

Just listen to Black And Blue. Wayne Perkins & Harvey Mandel let you forget completely the absence of MT. He was just a guitar player who was lucky to be with the Stones at their artistic peak. His influence or significance is minimal, imo. Brian Jones was very important and unique for their sound and image, MT wasnt. If Harvey Mandel would have been with the Stones in 1969-74 instead of MT the albums they made back then would still be masterpieces and would sound only slightly different. Maybe GHS and IORR would have been better albums in the end.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...191192193194195196197198199200201...LastNext
Current Page: 196 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home