Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 4, 2015 19:29

PhillyFAN
DoomandGloom
Do I love Mick Taylor? No. I do.. Not every great musician is a good businessman. Back in "the day" it took both to make a great band. He deserves his recognition and respect for great playing.

I'm sorry D/G if what I said was taken in a negative manner. Not what I was trying to convey. I love his playing, creativity, and the capability to turn one note into six all within the frame. I love what he does to Stones music. I was saying it is not the individual but the collective sound they could have made together but instead they offer Sticky Fingers with Mick Taylor's wizardry on the studio re-release but not live. Like I said it's not my band. I simply have the choice of not buying the product without his contribution. BTW I still have the original vinyl with the working zipper! Quite controversial at the time. I did not particularly like looking at Joe D'Allesando's underwear crotch picture tho. ugh
My point is not all great artists are good business people. Posts that say "He left, gets what he deserves" are saying nothing about the music. Taylorites are demanding yes. It's frustrating seeing him get beat up when they're using his image and music to sell a reissue. BTW I noted before. I have a 1/2 speed LP in perfect condition as my go to SF. Also a couple of zipper copies found at yard sales so I'm good. People say Leeds is not so good but I'll check it out when I take a long drive.

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: April 4, 2015 19:34

bleedingman
"He really should write that book for all of us, non-disclosure, confidentially agreements be damned.
Eventually a book will be coming out,warts and all.....winking smiley

"You know who l am, say it"

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 4, 2015 19:37

DoomandGloom
It's frustrating seeing him get beat up when they're using his image and music to sell a reissue.

Are you serious??
It's not Mick Taylor who wrote the music no matter how much you want to believe that.
And how are they using his image?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 19:38 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: April 4, 2015 19:40

StonesCat
The "move on" comments always give me a chuckle. Look at what the Stones play, and look at what they've chosen to promote over the last five years. Mick Taylor WAS the change element in the equation. Going back to the same cash grab formula that they've embraced for so long now is a positive step forward?

Most of what they play is dominated by Keith: JJF, HTW, SFTD, BS, GS, S.

Since 2012 it's been more of a celebration of the Brian era, if you look at the setlists.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 4, 2015 19:47

DandelionPowderman
StonesCat
The "move on" comments always give me a chuckle. Look at what the Stones play, and look at what they've chosen to promote over the last five years. Mick Taylor WAS the change element in the equation. Going back to the same cash grab formula that they've embraced for so long now is a positive step forward?

Since 2012 it's been more of a celebration of the Brian era, if you look at the setlists.

Back in the Taylor-Years? Depends on whom you pay attention to.

Date: April 4, 2015 19:50

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat

Back in the Taylor-Years? Depends on whom you listen to.

If you listen to today's versions you'll quickly find which era they're from, right? winking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 4, 2015 19:52

TheBlockbuster
DoomandGloom
It's frustrating seeing him get beat up when they're using his image and music to sell a reissue.

Are you serious??
It's not Mick Taylor who wrote the music no matter how much you want to believe that.
Photos with him and Bill are being used to promote the album and I believe the event. When I said music I was intentional. Yes he is not a song writer but it is his music as well as Charlie, Bill, Bobby's.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 4, 2015 20:01

DoomandGloom
TheBlockbuster
DoomandGloom

Are you serious??
Photos with him and Bill are being used to promote the album and I believe the event. When I said music I was intentional. Yes he is not a song writer but it is his music as well as Charlie, Bill, Bobby's.

Better to acknowledge MT and Bill on the photos than to delete them, as they did with Bill on Rarities.

Date: April 4, 2015 20:13

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat

I was referring to JJF, HTW, SFTD, BS, GS, S.

If you listen to today's versions you'll quickly find which era they're from, right? winking smiley

I was referring to JJF, HTW, SFTD, BS, GS, S (Sway), the live versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 20:17 by LuxuryStones.

Date: April 4, 2015 20:23

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat

So was I, and today they are not playing the Taylor era arrangements smiling smiley

PS: "S" is Satisfaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 20:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 4, 2015 20:24

treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
DoomandGloom
Could he have a legal issue in The US and not get a visa this time? Could this be a similar problem that left him out of Brooklyn's show?

All these false rumours about health problems, insurance, legal issues, higher powers and so on, it's funny and sad at the same time.

The band just decided not to invite him and it was predictable, regarding his utterly limited role during the last period of the touring time. It's also clear that Taylor was and is unhappy with this fact. But the band decided, we only don't know if there was a unanimous vote. My guess is there was.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're also just creating a rumour. You don't have information on any 'vote' unanimous or otherwise.

Didn't I say I was just guessing? Or is guessing the same as rumouring? In that case I plead guilty.

you did, but everyone is just guessing and that's where we get the rumours. I'm not saying no one should take an educated guess, but you're guess isn't any better than the health, legal or insurance or anything else.

It's also encouraging to see from MT's POV, that he very much embraced the little time he did get onstage and that it energized him. I'm hoping that whatever the issue is, and I'm leaning towards it being a health/substance issue, that it is resolved and perhaps he can be a part of the machine moving forward.

Guessing in such a limited way (thinking it was a unanimous decision by the band) is NOT the same as spreading rumours by mentioning unknown sources or by drawing conclusions from stuttering during an interview.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 4, 2015 20:25

StonedInTokyo
MrThompsonWooft
Anyone who really, really wanted to see Mick Taylor has had ample opportunity to do so between 2012 and 2014. Maybe people should move on.

^^^
Post of the Year.

Actually, no. It was rather broad and assumed a fan had the money and time to travel and buy expensive tickets to one of their limited appearances. This tour they are playing in more cities, which helps the travel part significantly. Fail of the day is more like it.

*not all Stones fans are retired, well to do baby boomers. Believe it or not, some are college students that love good rock & roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 20:27 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 4, 2015 20:39

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat

So was I, and today they are not playing the Taylor era arrangements smiling smiley

Yes, there is no Taylor anymore. He left in '74. I think he regrets it more or less..

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 4, 2015 20:40

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat

Yes, there is no Taylor anymore. He left in '74. I think he regrets it more or less..

My guess, err rumour, is that this is the understatement of the year!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 4, 2015 21:59

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
StonesCat

Now that is true.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 4, 2015 22:01

71Tele
Naturalust
MisterDDDD
And all this disdain you hear for all these former members...
do others hear it as well?

No, not really, but your thinly veiled contempt for posters who are passionate about Mick Taylor after all these years is pretty clear.

peace

I love when people feel like they have to remind us that Mick Taylor quit 40 years ago, as if A: we don't know, and B: It has any bearing whatsoever about whether he should be included in shows today. What is the penalty that will satisy the Taylor-haters for his sin of leaving, lifetime banishment? Seems a little harsh. Not even the Stones agree with you, as he has been back to play and record.

I do not begrudge people trotting out to the stadiums once again to see the same 60% of the band who played on most of their hits do it one more time. God knows I've done it enough (but no more). There are worse ways to spend an evening. But I do think it should be a little easier for those folks to understand our disappointment at getting so little, when so much is possible. Seems like the Vegas-lovers don't want their predictable Entertainment Extravaganza to be upset by more interesting (if challenging) musical possiblities.
thumbs up

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 4, 2015 22:21

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

My guess, err rumour, is that this is the understatement of the year!

I don't think so Kleer; he might have died, he was being unrecognized and thwarted in songwriting credits, keef was a mess and even the Stones future looked uncertain by some accounts, the next lp's (B&B, and especially SG) would not have had much room for him to contribute, he was an extremely unhappy 25 y.o. who thought/hoped that he might find a better situation/use of his skillset.

Jack Bruce Band probably looked promising, but he never found that band/singer match he needed, which is a shame. He didn't have the chops, mentality or feel to go art rock/prog like Hackett, Howe, Fripp, Hillage, Barre, Gilmour but he definitely had a feel for swingjazz, groove, latin in addition to his blues/rock. Once the JBB fizzled, I wish he had either continued experimenting with jazz-rock instrumentals ala Beck's Blow by Blow and Wired, found another good British rock singer to back, or as Naturalust suggested joined an outfit like Little Feat.

Since the RS (and MT) amazingly survived all these years, it's easy now to say he's thinking "Gosh, I coulda stuck around for the money," but he was a virtuoso looking to feed his flame at the time and probably would've left after SG and ER anyway. I'd like to see him with a topnotch set of players (including a singer) touring clubs/theaters again, where he gets to take his solos/slide/improvs numerous times a night instead of just playing 30 minutes a week on MR, which doesn't even let him stretch out over a traditional solo spot. Total wasted opportunity by the Stones to remind people that more than just great songs, Jagger and spectacle, that they were capable still of transcendent guitar spots too (keef and ronnie among them formerly, but incapable of a single competent solo from start-to-finish since ??).

Here's hoping he takes this momentum and turns it into something good, that the Stones have a great summer tour, and that a rekindled relationship might yield some studio collaborations in the future!

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 22:53

I saw MT in January of 1973 at the Forum. Yes I remember it. Then again at Staples center in 2013 when he played four songs. I said it a year ago and I'll say it today. The Staples center performance with MT put MJ on notice that no way, no how was MT going to upstage any Rolling Stones perfance from that point on. Every performance of the Rolling Stones from 1975-2011 couldn't compare to the Staples center show that evening. Some were close. I have seen them so many times that it all blends together. Except that night.
That being said I think the Rolling Stones are going to be a hard act to follow. That act being themselves from 2012-2014.
And any of you who think that the Midnight Rambler versions with MT over the past two years were just as good or better than any performance of that song from 1969 to 1973, especially 1973, need to have your ears checked.
I am/was happy that MT was asked to play with the Stones the last couple of years. Not happy he was religated to 2 or sometimes 3 songs a show.
I am glad I got to see MT at the height of his career and I am glad there is still a Rolling Stones to go see. Though, after the last show I saw at Staples, I will have mixed feelings at my next Rolling Stones concert.
P.S. If they are going to do Sticky Fingers in its entirety then it should be one PPV in a very small venue. Live. With mistakes. With all surviving members contributing to that album made from 69-71. No bigscreens. Just a few lights. Just good musicianship. And smiles

Date: April 4, 2015 23:31

s083874
I saw MT in January of 1973 at the Forum. Yes I remember it. Then again at Staples center in 2013 when he played four songs. I said it a year ago and I'll say it today. The Staples center performance with MT put MJ on notice that no way, no how was MT going to upstage any Rolling Stones perfance from that point on. Every performance of the Rolling Stones from 1975-2011 couldn't compare to the Staples center show that evening. Some were close. I have seen them so many times that it all blends together. Except that night.
That being said I think the Rolling Stones are going to be a hard act to follow. That act being themselves from 2012-2014.
And any of you who think that the Midnight Rambler versions with MT over the past two years were just as good or better than any performance of that song from 1969 to 1973, especially 1973, need to have your ears checked.
I am/was happy that MT was asked to play with the Stones the last couple of years. Not happy he was religated to 2 or sometimes 3 songs a show.
I am glad I got to see MT at the height of his career and I am glad there is still a Rolling Stones to go see. Though, after the last show I saw at Staples, I will have mixed feelings at my next Rolling Stones concert.
P.S. If they are going to do Sticky Fingers in its entirety then it should be one PPV in a very small venue. Live. With mistakes. With all surviving members contributing to that album made from 69-71. No bigscreens. Just a few lights. Just good musicianship. And smiles

You need to quit the arrogance. Many regard lots of Ramblers higher than the 69-73 versions without having to even think about checking anything.

A band is not about one person. It never is.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 5, 2015 01:15

Amongst a sea of 'lost opportunities lately, not having MT along for this Sticky Fingers Tour is going to be the biggest one. I don't think MT upstages the band. He just makes them better like so many have said. A special guest scenario makes him a highlight whereas if they just let on stage and contribute. he'd just be a musician and MJ wouldn't have to worry about being upstaged.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 5, 2015 02:18

Well...keno on that other board pretty much intimates that MT has a health/rehab issue...which might explain MJ's "I don't think" open- ended comment. If that's the case I hope he gets better soon and can perform with the band. Having just played recently with Ronnie however makes me wonder...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 5, 2015 02:56

palerider22
Well...keno on that other board pretty much intimates that MT has a health/rehab issue...which might explain MJ's "I don't think" open- ended comment. If that's the case I hope he gets better soon and can perform with the band. Having just played recently with Ronnie however makes me wonder...

Indeed but I wouldn't count on Ronnie to make a stand on either health or drug and alcohol issues, no matter how sober he is these days...unlike the Stones organization who obviously made sobriety a condition for Taylor's participation on the 14 on Fire Tour. But even if that is the issue, optimistically we may still see some Taylor this time out since there is still time for a typical 30 day rehab program. thumbs up

I'm not suggesting this is the case nor do I have any info to support it other than Taylor's own quotes that this was indeed an issue prior to the last tour, my knowledge that these types of issues are not magically cured by a single rehab stint, and the strange rumors by Keno and others that his absence it not a result of him or the Stones not wanting him there.

I just can't imagine any issue other than health/substance abuse which could trump the wishes of all involved and pray that it is not some other potentially serious heath concern.

peace

Date: April 5, 2015 03:05

There are no health issues that prevents him from touring, according to people with REAL knowledge on this board.

Date: April 5, 2015 03:18

DandelionPowderman
s083874

You need to quit the arrogance. Many regard lots of Ramblers higher than the 69-73 versions without having to even think about checking anything.

No arrogance. Just reading this back and forth MT this and MT that is getting ridiculous. They were young then. And their concerts were like barreling freight trains. When you left you were exhausted. Not any more.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 5, 2015 03:28

DandelionPowderman
s083874

I didn't get that he was being arrogant. It's going to be pretty obvious that Midnight Rambler circa 1969-73 vs. 2012-2014 is going to be better.

And I don't think that his saying Staples as his favourite show since 1975 should be an issue at all, he's entitled to his opinion.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: April 5, 2015 03:41

alimente
Reagan
gotdablouse
Keno discussing Taylor's absence again : [www.keno.org] - nothing really new since his 31/3 post (it's nobody's fault, not MJ's, not MT's) apart from the fact that his insider friend who gave him the low down is also a friend of Taylor...

I was told by my closest insider and friend of not only mine, but friend of MT

The plot thickens...

Thanks for posting the link. Just read it. If it's true that MJ wants him and MT wants to do it, but they can't, then it sounds like an insurance thing. If he's not insured, but they announce him as a part of the show, then they open themselves up to a legal liability if something goes awry and he's not able to play. Just a wild guess, that's all. Probably wrong.

-R

Keno - I would not rule out the possibility that he is "used" for intended misinformation on Taylor's part through a "close friend of MT". Just to show the public that there are no bad feelings as there's is "noone to blame" for his absence in order not to spoil the relationship between Taylor and the band - a move that would leave the door open for any future collaborations.

That's probably right. (Or, at least it's way better than my stupid theory.) MT has been fairly diplomatic about everything for the last few years. Good analysis.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: April 5, 2015 03:43

alimente
Reagan
gotdablouse
Keno discussing Taylor's absence again : [www.keno.org] - nothing really new since his 31/3 post (it's nobody's fault, not MJ's, not MT's) apart from the fact that his insider friend who gave him the low down is also a friend of Taylor...

I was told by my closest insider and friend of not only mine, but friend of MT

The plot thickens...

Thanks for posting the link. Just read it. If it's true that MJ wants him and MT wants to do it, but they can't, then it sounds like an insurance thing. If he's not insured, but they announce him as a part of the show, then they open themselves up to a legal liability if something goes awry and he's not able to play. Just a wild guess, that's all. Probably wrong.

-R

If they fear that someone could sue them just because MT is absent in a show despite being announced, they could have him as an "un-announced guest" throughout the entire tour which is not particularily long anyway -

MAYBE THIS IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?

I actually thought of that one but didn't want to say it out loud as it sounds like a fan's pipe dream. We can all dream, eh?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 5, 2015 04:22

DandelionPowderman
There are no health issues that prevents him from touring, according to people with REAL knowledge on this board.

Sorry I must have missed it. Please tell me who has REAL knowledge on this board and I'll pay more attention. I'd be glad to hear hear some real knowledge that health issues are not the problem. And glad to see some scheduled solo shows to help verify it.

peace

Date: April 5, 2015 04:36

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
s083874

I didn't get that he was being arrogant. It's going to be pretty obvious that Midnight Rambler circa 1969-73 vs. 2012-2014 is going to be better.

And I don't think that his saying Staples as his favourite show since 1975 should be an issue at all, he's entitled to his opinion.
Thank you for that fingers. But I think DP was commenting on my '73 vs now Midnight Rambler as having their ears checked. I apologize to everyone I offended with that comment. I should have not stated that. We all hear and interpret what we experience with our favorite band here. It wasn't fair I generalized comments made by some. What it comes down to is this. And this is just me. Just as the Stones have aged so have I. But my brain is still filled with heavy loud guitar riffs; almost heavy metal back then when Keith hit every cord instead of every 7th. And instruments were replaced with singers. Listen closely and you will hear that "ancient art of basket weaving" on '73's MR. Live. Not like the studio version of Beast of Burdon. Its fustrating as all hell for hard core Stones fans. Including me. Or else this thread wouldn't have 38 pages about Mick Taylor. And your right DP. Its about the band. I love Ron Rood as much as I do Mick Taylor. When you think about it...how do you think Ronnie deals with always being compared to his friend. Both Ron and MT are better guitarists and if it wasn't for Ronnie the Stones would have been history 20 years ago. Too bad Ronnie isn't left to play on his own accord like he was with the Faces. Great band. Again I apologize for my short sided comment.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 5, 2015 04:49

The good thing is that at midnight rambler back the great Ronnie!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home