Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:42

if the Stones can pull it off and play like they did for Licks...no one will be thinking of Taylor....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:42

Doxa

But Taylor/Wood debate is a serious issue. Reminds me of an older debate between Trotsky and Stalin back in the day. The brave but stubborn Trotskian-Taylorites are chased all around the web by these powerful Stalinist-Woodists, the people in charge of the world order these days, protecting the world of Homo Rollingstonesica. But still the resistance is there, popping up in some odd thread here and there...

- Doxa

In fact the Taylor/Wood is a false debate.

With extremely rare exceptions (one is me) no one seriously has ever even tried to claim that Wood's contribution could be as good or even better - from a strictly musical point of view - than Taylor's. And when some one does (again, me) this does not originate a "debate" but only sarcasm or disbelief.

The issue in its true terms is the Taylorites' rhetorical question: does the current line up have any musical relevance?

Of course, the only answer for a Taylorate is no: Taylor was the best, and was never properly replaced.

But the odd arguments used to oppose the Taylor is God axiom are not at all expression of "Woodism": MT is too fat, long solos suck, Wood saved the Stones etc.

Truth is, most fans (my wife, to name one) don't really hear any difference at all between a 73 and a 2014 version of the same song. Nor they give a damn to understand what a 30 seconds long solo may add or detract to a song.

Truth is that in many occasions not even our esteemed Taylorites know what the hell they are raving about (it took some time for many Taylorites to undesrstand that TonyMo's hilarious posts weren't exactly expression of taylorism ....)

All this to say, I would love a TRUE, sincere, open minded TAYLOR WOOD debate.

And I am still waiting examples of Taylor's playing in his prime "golden era" times that could match a 1998 Wood solo ... smileys with beer

C

Date: April 3, 2015 15:46

Kleerie, so that means you're actually happy with the situation? Since a bad rusty band like the Stones isn't good enough for Taylor, I mean.

Listening to the real official Brussels on vinyl as we speak. It sounds excellent.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:55

liddas

Truth is, most fans (my wife, to name one) don't really hear any difference at all between a 73 and a 2014 version of the same song. Nor they give a damn to understand what a 30 seconds long solo may add or detract to a song.

C

Damn, you're right. People don't hear it, or don't care. On with the show. hot smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:55

DandelionPowderman
Kleerie, so that means you're actually happy with the situation? Since a bad rusty band like the Stones isn't good enough for Taylor, I mean.

Listening to the real official Brussels on vinyl as we speak. It sounds excellent.

At $175 per side, careful not to scratch it!

Date: April 3, 2015 15:56

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Ha! That's funny, I'm recording it to DAT right now. Two souls one thought smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 3, 2015 16:02

DandelionPowderman

I'm not happy with the situation since 40 years now Dandy, but I have to accept it. Still working on it all those years. And to be honest, I don't see a so called three guitars attack work, it didn't even on Rambler, let alone on those other few songs during the last tours. Although it would be nice if there was a real intention of integration. But there never was one.

It's like Luxury Stones said, we have the old boots and other stuff to celebrate and remember the glorious live days. And the old records from the Brian Jones era, not to forget. Time waits for no one ...

As for the BA official, I've listened to it with earphones (just like I always do), and I'm still baffled by the low audio quality, lacking any dynamic and sounding so dry. Totally different from the great BA/London SB-boots and my reminiscence of the one and only concert I attended with Taylor in the band.

Date: April 3, 2015 16:10

Did you listen to the vinyl, kleerie? Something tells me you haven't.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 3, 2015 16:12

Sadly the current Stones is a tourist band, a museum band playing songs from 4 or 5 generations ago, the real band ended a couple of decades ago, about 80% of the audience could care less who is behind Jagger and the other 20% who is behind Richards. The people is going to see the NAME, the Rolling Stones, except Mick and Keith, no one cares who else is in the band.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 3, 2015 16:24

DandelionPowderman
Did you listen to the vinyl, kleerie? Something tells me you haven't.

You're right Dandy. But I don't have a good audio system and miss the knowledge and motivation to get one, so I listen to all stuff mostly with earphones in (good ones, though).

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 3, 2015 16:44

I wouldn't be surprised to see guests at each show like 2013, and they would be a part of the Sticky Fingers segment. Sign me up for that!!

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 3, 2015 17:00

TonyMo
gripweed
Tony, your act has grown old, very old very quickly... put it to bed already

When baseless speculation, conjecture and hearsay is extrapolated as faux truth; to the point of anger so profound it results in people picking up their toy's and going home, then I'm going to laugh.

Were you able to step back -some of you would require a car and a full tank of gas- you might see the inherent amusement.

This thread doesn't prove Ron Wood's ineptitude, Keith Richards' jealousy, Mick Jagger's disdain for fat people nor does it prove Andy Johns is a teller of tales. What it does prove - beyond a doubt - is that adult men can fanboy with the fervor and vigor of a teenage girl. I find that worthy of lampoon.

I also find cognitive dissonance amusing, Thirty plus pages of pounding, pounding, pounding the same nail - not only in this thread, but all the way back to the site's inception - and I'm the one whose act is old? Now that's some funny shit.

I've always liked and admired Mick Taylor's guitar playing. Not that he gives a crap, but Mick (if you're reading this...and I seriously doubt you are...but just in case), my apologies for using you to poke the bear.

smileys with beer
Eh you nailed it!

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 17:14

georgelicks
Sadly the current Stones is a tourist band, a museum band playing songs from 4 or 5 generations ago, the real band ended a couple of decades ago, about 80% of the audience could care less who is behind Jagger and the other 20% who is behind Richards. The people is going to see the NAME, the Rolling Stones, except Mick and Keith, no one cares who else is in the band.

you're right thumbs up

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 3, 2015 17:24

Rich Robinson new band should take MT on tour and play Stick Fingers. Rich indicated he wants to play with MT.

play the guitar boy

peace

Date: April 3, 2015 17:35

terraplane
Taylor could get a band together with a good singer and do the album himself. Call the band Taylor and the Tricky Fingers >grinning smiley<

Yeah and KR could play a brilliant CYHMK intro and splendid SFTD & HTW solo's show after show: only when you dream.
It's all very wishful but far from reality (for years).

Date: April 3, 2015 17:38

Keith actually cleaned up his SFTD solos in Oz, so there is always hope... smiling smiley

Date: April 3, 2015 17:57

DandelionPowderman
Keith actually cleaned up his SFTD solos in Oz, so there is always hope... smiling smiley

I'm afraid that's all you got!
But it will be fun again of course with the new tour. It always is. That's what's so amazing about this band. The energy and stuff is all so dynamic and... full of live? As long as they have fun I'm having fun. That's also the reason those Taylorites should call it quits because their whole attitude has nothing to do with that. I like serious criticism myself and never spare the rod but this... It's so utterly boring negative about the same topic every day in all posts in so many threads. It doesn't have anything to do with what the RS still stand for.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: April 3, 2015 18:20

So Taylor was just supposed to play London '12, ended up traveling around the world with them, and they had a great time with him? But ... the association will end because it's a new tour?

What a disappointment.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2015 18:24

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Ha! That's funny, I'm recording it to DAT right now. Two souls one thought smiling smiley

You have a DAT recorder? Is that for recording your band's material?

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 18:30

The more I listen to that Marc Maron podcast with Jagger the more I feel I'm catching an inkling on what's going on behind the scenes. It sounds like the Taylor/Wyman appearance in London was meant to a one-shot deal all along. But something happened...the internet 'lit up' (according to Chuck) and the band reconsidered. It took some time to sort it out (Taylor missed one of the North American anniversary shows...) but eventually Taylor agreed to be a 'special guest' for the tour and Wyman didn't. The wild success of Taylor's contribution continued for the next two years.

I guess my point, and hope, is that the "I don't think..." comment by Jagger may mean it's still a possibility for Taylor to be invited...provided that Taylor fans keep posting on the net, on IORR, keep asking for Taylor and keep the pressure on...all in a positive way, of course. Is it wishful thinking? Maybe...but "I don't think..." by Jagger - he said it twice - suggests there is a small hope to change their minds...Heh...maybe we should resurrect the 100 page "We want more Mick Taylor.. thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 18:39 by palerider22.

Date: April 3, 2015 18:30

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

You have a DAT recorder? Is that for recording your band's material?

I have lots of recorders. A couple of Tandberg reel to reels, for instance. But, yeah, we record rehearsals with the DAT recorder now and again. The DAT still sounds excellent on my stereo smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 3, 2015 19:03

Mel Belli
So Taylor was just supposed to play London '12, ended up traveling around the world with them, and they had a great time with him? But ... the association will end because it's a new tour?

What a disappointment.

Doesn't make any sense does it? It's not like they're touring a brand new album where he didn't play...if anything it's the exact continuation of the 2012/2014 shows, down to the choir apparently. Ah right it's the ZIP/SF Tour, oh, wait...

@palerider22 - Don't remember Chuck saying the net had "lit up"? Was it after the O2, or after CYHMK in LA ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 3, 2015 19:27

Very sad to hear Taylor won't be there. As the first show I was able to attend was in 97. The last tour didn't come close enough for me to go to, and I couldn't afford to travel. I hate I won't get to hear him in person with the Stones, even if only one song. Still excited to see them, but it is disappointing.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: April 3, 2015 19:30

It seems obvious the stones felt sorry for Taylor after the 12' london gig and had him fly over to brooklyn for the US gigs. I remember seeing a video of Taylor playing a gig days after the london gig seeming not sure if he was going to be a part of the tour or not. Thanks the stones for giving us a taste of taylor, however I think that putting him in that Midnight Rambler cage was really painful for me as a fan. IT turned out to be the biggest tease in the history of teases.

Anyway it was better than nothing.

Taylor should forget the stones and hook up with someone and make music, I am sure he is needed in many other bands out there.

Date: April 3, 2015 19:37

gotdablouse
Mel Belli

What a disappointment.

Doesn't make any sense does it? It's not like they're touring a brand new album where he didn't play...if anything it's the exact continuation of the 2012/2014 shows, down to the choir apparently. Ah right it's the ZIP/SF Tour, oh, wait...

@palerider22 - Don't remember Chuck saying the net had "lit up"? Was it after the O2, or after CYHMK in LA ?

You're likely correct there but I suspect there was quite a bit of internet traffic after O2 as well. I remember posting several times what a thrill it was to here those Taylor sound again on Midnight Ramber.

A few days ago I was hoping that he would be 'one of the boys' again but now I just want him to be invited. It's only right. It can only lead to a positive feeling and a it's a classy thing to do. The long-time fans deserve it. Tele71 is right on....special guests! Are you kidding me! Mick Taylor deserves that honour and the fans that really care want it...badly. It won't bother the casual fans. It won't bother them all from what I read here.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 3, 2015 19:42

palerider22
The more I listen to that Marc Maron podcast with Jagger the more I feel I'm catching an inkling on what's going on behind the scenes. It sounds like the Taylor/Wyman appearance in London was meant to a one-shot deal all along. But something happened...the internet 'lit up' (according to Chuck) and the band reconsidered. It took some time to sort it out (Taylor missed one of the North American anniversary shows...) but eventually Taylor agreed to be a 'special guest' for the tour and Wyman didn't. The wild success of Taylor's contribution continued for the next two years.

I guess my point, and hope, is that the "I don't think..." comment by Jagger may mean it's still a possibility for Taylor to be invited...provided that Taylor fans keep posting on the net, on IORR, keep asking for Taylor and keep the pressure on...all in a positive way, of course. Is it wishful thinking? Maybe...but "I don't think..." by Jagger - he said it twice - suggests there is a small hope to change their minds...Heh...maybe we should resurrect the 100 page "We want more Mick Taylor.. thread.

Wild Success?? Because of Taylor???

Nonsense.
Rather than continue with these irrational speculations about the inter-workings of the band, up to and including conversations that may have taken place, and assuming you all know better than The Rolling Stones about such matters. How about not insulting them by petitioning.. how about letting all this ridiculous speculation go and enjoy this chapter?

For the record, I also think it's Mick keeping him from playing this tour.
Mick Taylor.

I think he has lost a step or three and like when he quit years ago has personal issues. I'm beginning to believe the hardcore Taylor-ites may as well.

Let it Go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 19:43 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 3, 2015 19:46

palerider22
gotdablouse
Mel Belli

What a disappointment.

You're likely correct there but I suspect there was quite a bit of internet traffic after O2 as well. I remember posting several times what a thrill it was to here those Taylor sound again on Midnight Ramber.

A few days ago I was hoping that he would be 'one of the boys' again but now I just want him to be invited. It's only right. It can only lead to a positive feeling and a it's a classy thing to do. The long-time fans deserve it. Tele71 is right on....special guests! Are you kidding me! Mick Taylor deserves that honour and the fans that really care want it...badly. It won't bother the casual fans. It won't bother them all from what I read here.

You're sounding like this band hasn't existed for 48 years without Mick Taylor.

I support you in your wishes to have him back, but, well... please. I think everybody knows where the 20-25 Taylorites here that don't care about the band (only Taylor) stand.

You can raise hell, I'll give you that smiling smiley

Date: April 3, 2015 19:52

DandelionPowderman

I support you in your wishes to have him back, but, well... please. I think everybody knows where the 20-25 Taylorites here that don't care about the band (only Taylor) stand.

Ya gotta try...but, you know, I do still care about the band. I can't stop being a fan...

Date: April 3, 2015 19:57

palerider22
DandelionPowderman

Ya gotta try...but, you know, I do still care about the band. I can't stop being a fan...

That's good!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 3, 2015 20:00

The thing that makes me sad is that my dad, who will be going with me to the Nashville gig, has never gotten to see Taylor play. His first show was Louisville in 1981, but he wanted to go see them in 70s and never could.

I was lucky enough to see Taylor play two nights in Chicago, one of which featured Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Man... what a treat. Midnight Rambler was still the highlight both nights and Taylor indeed added alot.

All that to say, it would've meant the world to my dad to see Taylor with the Stones. I guess he missed out on that opportunity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home