Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 3, 2015 20:05

I'm just delighted that this thread is hugely popular, almost Sticky and people aren't scared to discuss their true feeling about this band here. Even if it wasn't about one of my favorite subjects it's refreshing to hear something slightly controversial to balance out the fanaticism. Yes this thread got combined with other threads and I'd guess some want it to just go away, but thankfully there are fans who still care about the music enough to recognize the huge improvements Taylor made, dream about what he could still make and aren't scared to express their feelings about what has become of the music.

peace

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 3, 2015 20:27

Naturalust
I'm just delighted that this thread is hugely popular, almost Sticky and people aren't scared to discuss their true feeling about this band here. Even if it wasn't about one of my favorite subjects it's refreshing to hear something slightly controversial to balance out the fanaticism. Yes this thread got combined with other threads and I'd guess some want it to just go away, but thankfully there are fans who still care about the music enough to recognize the huge improvements Taylor made, dream about what he could still make and aren't scared to express their feelings about what has become of the music.

peace

Very nice expressed and I just hope the tone and attitude will remain respectful.

Posted by: Getondown ()
Date: April 3, 2015 20:39

[www.wtfpod.com]

Kind of funny how Jagger fumbles through the answer about how Mick Taylor isn't coming on tour....

So many answers from fans who are pissed and won't go to show. I won't be going.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 3, 2015 20:44

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Kleerie, so that means you're actually happy with the situation? Since a bad rusty band like the Stones isn't good enough for Taylor, I mean.

Listening to the real official Brussels on vinyl as we speak. It sounds excellent.

At $175 per side, careful not to scratch it!

Ha! That's funny, I'm recording it to DAT right now. Two souls one thought smiling smiley

You have a DAT recorder? Is that for recording your band's material?

I have lots of recorders. A couple of Tandberg reel to reels, for instance. But, yeah, we record rehearsals with the DAT recorder now and again. The DAT still sounds excellent on my stereo smiling smiley

DAT Rules! Still find em in proper studios.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:09

Naturalust

peace

This is nicely expressed.

I suppose what many people really want to see is that version of The Stones they originally fell in love with. I'm a "Taylorite," by virtue not of any particular love for Mick Taylor's playing, but more for the quality of the music the band produced duing Taylor's tenure.

At the same time, it's curious how many of us want to see a 45-year-old version of the band, instead of a 40-year-old version of the band. In my opinion, Mick Taylor could play on every number in every show this year and the net result would not be all that different from what we have today: a bunch of seventy-somethings trying to recreate music from many decades ago.

MY favorite version of The Stones is any version when they are touring behind a kick-ass rock-n-roll record that has captured the spirit of their times. Doesn't have to be "retro" or "back to the roots;" just has to be arresting and challenging with a soupcon of the "danger" they used to represent.

But as we all know, for a variety of reasons too dreary to go into here, they are no longer that band. They do not have a TIME OUT OF MIND, or a MODERN TIMES, or a TEMPEST in them. They are not interested in providing us a glimpse of how The Stones see the modern world, what it's like to be alive and still kicking in the twenty-teens.

We are left instead with the cartoon jukebox cash-grab of a band still beloved by millions ... who can thrill even the hardest core of their fanbase by inspiring accolades like "they can still play all those old songs so well considering their age."

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:17

Keno discussing Taylor's absence again : [www.keno.org] - nothing really new since his 31/3 post (it's nobody's fault, not MJ's, not MT's) apart from the fact that his insider friend who gave him the low down is also a friend of Taylor...

I was told by my closest insider and friend of not only mine, but friend of MT

The plot thickens...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 21:18 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:24

gotdablouse
Keno discussing Taylor's absence again : [www.keno.org] - nothing really new since his 31/3 post (it's nobody's fault, not MJ's, not MT's) apart from the fact that his insider friend who gave him the low down is also a friend of Taylor...

The plot thickens...

Thanks for posting the link. Just read it. If it's true that MJ wants him and MT wants to do it, but they can't, then it sounds like an insurance thing. If he's not insured, but they announce him as a part of the show, then they open themselves up to a legal liability if something goes awry and he's not able to play. Just a wild guess, that's all. Probably wrong.

-R

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:30

So funny all you guys complaining about no Mick Taylor. Well, I got news for you, he left back in '74 and was lucky enough that they let him participate on a couple songs for a trip through most part of the world as a celebration of the band and that is now over.

Looking forward to the tour

PS! What is really sad is that there is no Bobby Keyes.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:32

These Easter days I have only a smartphone to write on. There I am clumsy. It is difficult to correct awkward sentences.

My outlook on this, as I am neither taylorite nor woodist: My outspring as a Stones fan is in the first part of the Brian Jones years. That was when the Stones was R&B band. I see the band's golden eras in four periods. Two during the Brian Jones years, one in Mick Taylor's time and one through years, when Ronnie Wood has been in the band.

Despite having a preference for Brian Jones and Mick Taylor as guitarists in addition to Keith, I am one, who sometimes thinks that it may possibly have been advantageous for the continuation of the Stones, confronted with the arrival of punk and new wave, that Ronnie was guitarist then and not Mick Taylor. ( A fourth golden period followed.)

Also, the third golden period that involved Mick Taylor, started before he joined the Stones, was, during his time, as much or even more, as to studio music, due to other facts than Mick Taylor's guitar playing (although he vitally contributed to some songwriting directly or indirectly) , and this third golden period ebbed out before he left. He was more important as addition to the Stones as a live band though, important as that is.

I am also one that holds the latest and apparently last two albums to be some achievements. Not great (like UNDERCOVER), but aspiring to the semi-great. Albums, from which I would have loved to hear songs live, instead of the old great songs that to me belong to earlier tours and other times.

Despite all such thoughts, I am deeply, deeply disappointed now at the confirmed news that Mick Taylor is OUT Not out of a longing for the old songs most of all, to have Mick Taylor taking part in playing them. There I have landed on a understanding that established routines with the other guitarists will prevail on their most played songs. But I have hoped for Mick Taylor to be admitted to play on seldom played songs. And I have hoped that he could inspire studio work if the band was to record a new studio album. Then also play live on those new songs, making them a special attraction for the passionate older fans.

I have lately thought that to continue with Mick Taylor isolated on "Midnight Rambler" has become a situation not to my liking.

I disagree that the band did not play well in the 2012-14 concerts, judged from the four concerts I saw. But I think that Mick Taylor would have supplied some dynamism towards what now is a recreation of the originals. Tending to some standardized routine seen more than a couple of times, somewhat in need of fresh life. Something which I believe that Mick Taylor was capable of supplying, by the kind of guitarist I see him as. In this light, it is not out of nostalgia that I express this view.

Some way I think the band needs him now more than ever since 1978. I am saddened that it won't be so. All newcomers will continue to have a great night experiencing the Rolling Stones live. However, I am afraid that the novelty of the Rolling Stones as a guitar driven band live once anew will be used up for many that have followed the band for many or quite many years.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:35

gotdablouse

The plot thickens...

keno...."But I did note here that it isn't because the Stones don't want him playing with them again, nor is it because MT doesn't wish to be playing with them again"

keno! Do you realize haw maddening that comment is?

keno again,,,"it was clear in the interview that MJ didn't note why either, and he knows why, but it isn't just because this is a new tour."

Mick was two words into telling us why in that podcast before he cut himself off and corrected himself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 22:32 by palerider22.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:48

DandelionPowderman
palerider22
DandelionPowderman

You're sounding like this band hasn't existed for 48 years without Mick Taylor.

I support you in your wishes to have him back, but, well... please. I think everybody knows where the 20-25 Taylorites here that don't care about the band (only Taylor) stand.

You can raise hell, I'll give you that smiling smiley

Ya gotta try...but, you know, I do still care about the band. I can't stop being a fan...

That's good!

Pfffff

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 3, 2015 21:53

MisterDDDD
palerider22
The more I listen to that Marc Maron podcast with Jagger the more I feel I'm catching an inkling on what's going on behind the scenes. It sounds like the Taylor/Wyman appearance in London was meant to a one-shot deal all along. But something happened...the internet 'lit up' (according to Chuck) and the band reconsidered. It took some time to sort it out (Taylor missed one of the North American anniversary shows...) but eventually Taylor agreed to be a 'special guest' for the tour and Wyman didn't. The wild success of Taylor's contribution continued for the next two years.

I guess my point, and hope, is that the "I don't think..." comment by Jagger may mean it's still a possibility for Taylor to be invited...provided that Taylor fans keep posting on the net, on IORR, keep asking for Taylor and keep the pressure on...all in a positive way, of course. Is it wishful thinking? Maybe...but "I don't think..." by Jagger - he said it twice - suggests there is a small hope to change their minds...Heh...maybe we should resurrect the 100 page "We want more Mick Taylor.. thread.

Wild Success?? Because of Taylor???

Nonsense.
Rather than continue with these irrational speculations about the inter-workings of the band, up to and including conversations that may have taken place, and assuming you all know better than The Rolling Stones about such matters. How about not insulting them by petitioning.. how about letting all this ridiculous speculation go and enjoy this chapter?

For the record, I also think it's Mick keeping him from playing this tour.
Mick Taylor.

I think he has lost a step or three and like when he quit years ago has personal issues. I'm beginning to believe the hardcore Taylor-ites may as well.

Let it Go.
A step or two perhaps but Keith has fallen back miles. He is still lovely and lovable but this is a guitar band and I've seen no sign after witnessing his club tour with Ron that Taylor is not still a solid guitar player. The Stones might have been gracious but they also set him up to fail.. On stage he begged for more monitor, he was highly outgunned by Keith and Ron's guitar rigs. Still he insisted he got what he needed and on a handful of nights had flashes of brilliance. Yes only a handful but there is barely evidence of any better stuff played by the other guys last tour and they were on stage for 2 hours..

Date: April 3, 2015 21:58

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
palerider22
DandelionPowderman

I support you in your wishes to have him back, but, well... please. I think everybody knows where the 20-25 Taylorites here that don't care about the band (only Taylor) stand.

Ya gotta try...but, you know, I do still care about the band. I can't stop being a fan...

That's good!

Pfffff

It's a Stones board. Get over it.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 3, 2015 22:03

We have 2 possibilities here:
- Health problems (80%)
- Relationship problems (20%)

No money problems for me, Taylor would play for free.

Date: April 3, 2015 22:04

georgelicks
We have 2 possibilities here:
- Health problems (80%)
- Relationship problems (20%)

No money problems for me, Taylor would play for free.

Nobody tours for free.

Date: April 3, 2015 22:35

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
palerider22
DandelionPowderman

I remember all the speculations about Taylor not being able to end the 2012/2014 tours. All nonsense.

That's good!

Pfffff

It's a Stones board. Get over it.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: April 3, 2015 23:34

gotdablouse

The plot thickens...

if it's not MJ or MT that are stopping Taylor from joining.... could it be a case their record contract on promoting Sticky Fingers via the Zip Code Tour couldn't be changed to factor Taylor's involvement? A problem in negotiations there maybe??

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 3, 2015 23:41

Seems odd that it could be a blocking point, you'd think UMG would be happy to have one of the original members at the time of SF be around for some promo. But there has to be a third party involved, AEG/Insurers/Record Company...That wouldn't explain Mick's stuttering "he's got...", was he going to say "he's got other commitments" and then realized that Marc Maron would laugh it off? Maybe Keith will set us straight on Monday as it would make sense for him to have asked about Taylor too, not the same exact question to avoid playing him against MJ, but something like "how was it to have Taylor on stage for the last tour", etc...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 3, 2015 23:48

gotdablouse
Seems odd that it could be a blocking point, you'd think UMG would be happy to have one of the original members at the time of SF be around for some promo. But there has to be a third party involved, AEG/Insurers/Record Company...That wouldn't explain Mick's stuttering "he's got...", was he going to say "he's got other commitments" and then realized that Marc Maron would laugh it off? Maybe Keith will set us straight on Monday as it would make sense for him to have asked about Taylor too, not the same exact question to avoid playing him against MJ, but something like "how was it to have Taylor on stage for the last tour", etc...

Jagger's suggestive stutttering was so clever, it was certainly thought about before the interview, because that question was so predictabe. Very clever to stutter this way and feed all the suppositions about MT not being healthy or not insurable and that sort of nonsense. But I'm at least as clever not to buy this.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: April 3, 2015 23:56

TonyMo
I've always liked and admired Mick Taylor's guitar playing. Not that he gives a crap, but Mick (if you're reading this...and I seriously doubt you are...but just in case), my apologies for using you to poke the bear.

Apologies not accepted since you left all your offensive and unfunny posts up.
It seems a bad time to pick on Taylor, since he hasn't been terribly happy lately. You're just adding to the abuse he's already had to endure.

Date: April 4, 2015 00:07

DoomandGloom
A step or two perhaps but Keith has fallen back miles. He is still lovely and lovable but this is a guitar band and I've seen no sign after witnessing his club tour with Ron that Taylor is not still a solid guitar player. The Stones might have been gracious but they also set him up to fail.. On stage he begged for more monitor, he was highly outgunned by Keith and Ron's guitar rigs. Still he insisted he got what he needed and on a handful of nights had flashes of brilliance. Yes only a handful but there is barely evidence of any better stuff played by the other guys last tour and they were on stage for 2 hours..

Not just flashes.
When he was allowed to play on anything besides MR, he was consistently very powerful and impressive. Anyone who witnessed him take solos on Sway and CYHMK in Los Angeles will never contest again that he is brilliant at what he does.
Even when he began to add lead guitar (electric) to Satisfaction, it was improving the arrangement. Of course that was soon curtailed, when he was relegated to acoustic and this made inaudible.

In Rome he played on Streets of Love. A new song for him, but he embellished it nonetheless.
During the 14 On Fire tour Keith had him on stage for Slipping Away (electric guitar and b/voc) and there were some very nice melodic touches by MT.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 4, 2015 00:08

kleermaker
gotdablouse

Jagger's suggestive stutttering was so clever, it was certainly thought about before the interview, because that question was so predictabe. Very clever to stutter this way and feed all the suppositions about MT not being healthy or not insurable and that sort of nonsense. But I'm at least as clever not to buy this.

Unbelievable.

Date: April 4, 2015 00:09

gotdablouse

Keith is not going to set anyone straight.
That is impossible for him to do, as he simply doesn't know what's going on.
KR really should start using a phone.

Date: April 4, 2015 00:11

kleermaker

Congratulations on figuring that out and my compliments.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 4, 2015 01:01

LongBeachArena72
I suppose what many people really want to see is that version of The Stones they originally fell in love with. I'm a "Taylorite," by virtue not of any particular love for Mick Taylor's playing, but more for the quality of the music the band produced during Taylor's tenure.

At the same time, it's curious how many of us want to see a 45-year-old version of the band, instead of a 40-year-old version of the band. In my opinion, Mick Taylor could play on every number in every show this year and the net result would not be all that different from what we have today: a bunch of seventy-somethings trying to recreate music from many decades ago.

MY favorite version of The Stones is any version when they are touring behind a kick-ass rock-n-roll record that has captured the spirit of their times. Doesn't have to be "retro" or "back to the roots;" just has to be arresting and challenging with a soupcon of the "danger" they used to represent.

But as we all know, for a variety of reasons too dreary to go into here, they are no longer that band. They do not have a TIME OUT OF MIND, or a MODERN TIMES, or a TEMPEST in them. They are not interested in providing us a glimpse of how The Stones see the modern world, what it's like to be alive and still kicking in the twenty-teens.

We are left instead with the cartoon jukebox cash-grab of a band still beloved by millions ... who can thrill even the hardest core of their fanbase by inspiring accolades like "they can still play all those old songs so well considering their age."

The clarity of posts like this is exactly why I love this thread. Much easier for me relate to than a discussion of whether Voodoo Lounge is better than ABB, how great they played JJF in their 1000th rendition or who is wearing a Stones t-shirt.

That the business of the Stones has overtaken the music of the Stones (in many folks opinion) is probably just a testament to the hugely seductive power of money and power. Mick and Keith surely aren't immune and the feeling of power they get while touring and looking at their bank account balances probably over shadows the rush they once got from creating and hearing back an amazing new tune. The same basic human motivations that have existed since ancient times.

But, the feeling of performing to huge enthusiastic crowds is a rush they understandably don't want to give up....the fact that they can do it based on music 40 years old is both perplexing and an amazing statement to how influential that music still is. The best of which was arguably created during Taylor's tenure with the band. Not that I'm convinced they are doing it for the fans per se, I don't see any of the Stones as particularly selfless.

I don't blame the Stones for any of it, am glad they are still performing at all. But, I am surprised they have fans following them in Grateful Dead fashion, watching the same songs played almost identically show after show. As LongBeach72 has said the aspect of being "arresting and challenging with a soupcon of the "danger" they used to represent" is what drew me into the fold and although I don't need or expect nearly as much of it, a small glimpse would be welcome. They provided that glimpse with Taylor on board last tour.

peace

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 4, 2015 01:05

Seems like we will have Stones back to what it was in 2006/2007 - a nightmare to see. I was absolutely devastated to see them in Berlin on the BB tour on a 2/3 filled stadium.

If Stones desire is to have MJ as a fitness person saying "how are you" / "nice to be here" / "who will win the world cup" in 20 languages, then Stones will die as a band. People want to have music, not nice comments in different languages....

Maybe they want to have Blondie back to fill in missing Keith guitar parts, Chuck to be more dominant with his plink, plink keyboard thing and not the least an even more prominent Matt Clifford filling sampling in here and there... He and MJ are best friends..... Stones went downhill after Chuck and Matt took over in 1980'ies and became a plink, plink band....

No wonder MT is not continuing any more. Traveling around the world just to play MR and nothing else......

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2015 01:15

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Kleerie, so that means you're actually happy with the situation? Since a bad rusty band like the Stones isn't good enough for Taylor, I mean.

Listening to the real official Brussels on vinyl as we speak. It sounds excellent.

Ha! That's funny, I'm recording it to DAT right now. Two souls one thought smiling smiley

I have lots of recorders. A couple of Tandberg reel to reels, for instance. But, yeah, we record rehearsals with the DAT recorder now and again. The DAT still sounds excellent on my stereo smiling smiley

I have an old Tascam 8 track that records to cassettes.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 4, 2015 01:26

mtaylor
Seems like we will have Stones back to what it was in 2006/2007 - a nightmare to see. I was absolutely devastated to see them in Berlin on the BB tour on a 2/3 filled stadium.

If Stones desire is to have MJ as a fitness person saying "how are you" / "nice to be here" / "who will win the world cup" in 20 languages, then Stones will die as a band. People want to have music, not nice comments in different languages....

Maybe they want to have Blondie back to fill in missing Keith guitar parts, Chuck to be more dominant with his plink, plink keyboard thing and not the least an even more prominent Matt Clifford filling sampling in here and there... He and MJ are best friends..... Stones went downhill after Chuck and Matt took over in 1980'ies and became a plink, plink band....

No wonder MT is not continuing any more. Traveling around the world just to play MR and nothing else......

And exactly how was Stones any better 2012-2014 compared to 2006-2007? Actually I enjoyed my 2007 concerts much more than my 2014 concerts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 01:27 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: April 4, 2015 01:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 02:00 by TonyMo.

Date: April 4, 2015 01:50

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I have an old Tascam 8 track that records to cassettes.

Those are great! I had a 4 track back in the day.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home