Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 4, 2015 01:53

A simple statement from either the Stones or Taylor would end (or at least diminish) all the speculation regarding his absence. The lack of such is fueling the fires. Taylor looked bloated and sluggish, even after his "remake", for the 50 and counting and On Fire tours. He really should write that book for all of us, non-disclosure, confidentially agreements be damned.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2015 02:06

bobo
So funny all you guys complaining about no Mick Taylor. Well, I got news for you, he left back in '74 and was lucky enough that they let him participate on a couple songs for a trip through most part of the world as a celebration of the band and that is now over.

Looking forward to the tour

PS! What is really sad is that there is no Bobby Keyes.

Thanks for that "news". We didn't know...I am always fascinated to hear disdain for former members of the Rolling Stones from people who are supposedly Rolling Stones fans. Maybe there is some software you can get that will eliminate all the Mick Taylor parts on the albums from 1969 to 1974.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 4, 2015 02:11

71Tele

..I am always fascinated to hear disdain for former members of the Rolling Stones from people who are supposedly Rolling Stones fans.

That's rich.
From one who has loud and near-constant disdain for the actual Rolling Stones.

And all this disdain you hear for all these former members...
do others hear it as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 02:13 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 4, 2015 02:25

MisterDDDD
71Tele

..I am always fascinated to hear disdain for former members of the Rolling Stones from people who are supposedly Rolling Stones fans.

That's rich.
From one who has loud and near-constant disdain for the actual Rolling Stones.

There will always be people that can't tell the difference between the vibrato of a "Bluesbreaker" and a non lead guitarist. That's what the Stones count on but there is a difference nonetheless. It's all preposterous, the band, the Taylorites, the fans who support whatever they do... Such a ridiculous way for the band to end when everybody should have the same goal; good music and love for all the living musicians that made The Stones special. Nicky, Bobby and MT were the guys that made the golden era so special.. Only one left and he sits.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 4, 2015 02:27

The posts in this thread purporting to know intimately Mick Taylor's state of mind and how he's feeling at the moment intrigue me.

It has been stated that he is presently unhappy. Yet he was welcomed back by the band and fans and was on the road with them for 3 years, which is roughly 60% as long as his tenure in the band back when he was a full member. In those 3 years surely he made more money while working not nearly as hard as he would have had he played solo club gigs instead. Furthermore, with the wider visibility of his global trek with the Stones from 2012 to 2014 surely his cache would be greater by this point and his resumed solo career more rewarding than previously. Surely his manager could book better, higher profile gigs, like blues festivals and the like, as well as guest appearances on albums and concerts for other artists. A greatly nuanced instrumentalist as he is, his manager should secure him some work scoring films. It doesn't have to be back to the clubs just slogging it out year after year.

So what I wonder now is, why would he not be happy? Did he want to get the call for the 2015 tour and travel with them forevermore? Or, alas, after all this time, does he finally regret having left the band so long ago? Is it that he wants to be a Rolling Stone once again? Is he disappointed that they didn't end up retaining him, if not as a renewed full member, then at least as a permanent hired hand?

If so, he may not have gotten what he wanted, but surely he got what he needed, to loosely quote a classic song. Hopefully he can find it within himself to pick up the pieces and make the best of what he has been given--for, certainly, in all respects, he is better off in 2015 than he was in 2011.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 4, 2015 02:29

MisterDDDD

No, not really, but your thinly veiled contempt for posters who are passionate about Mick Taylor after all these years is pretty clear.

peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2015 02:51

Naturalust
MisterDDDD

No, not really, but your thinly veiled contempt for posters who are passionate about Mick Taylor after all these years is pretty clear.

peace

I love when people feel like they have to remind us that Mick Taylor quit 40 years ago, as if A: we don't know, and B: It has any bearing whatsoever about whether he should be included in shows today. What is the penalty that will satisy the Taylor-haters for his sin of leaving, lifetime banishment? Seems a little harsh. Not even the Stones agree with you, as he has been back to play and record.

I do not begrudge people trotting out to the stadiums once again to see the same 60% of the band who played on most of their hits do it one more time. God knows I've done it enough (but no more). There are worse ways to spend an evening. But I do think it should be a little easier for those folks to understand our disappointment at getting so little, when so much is possible. Seems like the Vegas-lovers don't want their predictable Entertainment Extravaganza to be upset by more interesting (if challenging) musical possiblities.

Posted by: rambler69 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 03:28

No Taylor on this tour per MJ:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 4, 2015 05:05

I am very sad about what I read here, I'm a fan of the Stones for many years, I loved this band when there was Brian, then when there was one Taylor and Wood, three different styles, three different musicians, three different periods .
I understand those who want to Taylor in the Stones, but Taylor is no longer Stones for many years and there has never been willing to take it back, a band has internal balances that we do not know and it is unfair to continue to insist.
It is not fair to say that those who prefer the sound of the Stones with Brian Wood or do not have ears, is a different sound is a different way of playing that can like it or not, but it is wrong to despise.
I believe that Jagger has realized that it was better not to invite guests as former stones, only controversies are outputs.
I hope that the message is understandable, I apologize for my English.
A big hello to all of you.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 05:31

It is disappointing about Taylor. However, I can understand it as well. He isn't in the band any longer, and was a guest for two songs on the last tour. Ronnie has been in the band since 75, and as a full member he is the guy playing the guitar on this tour, not Taylor. I think what happened is so many of us were so excited to see Taylor with them again, we began to feel, "wow this might be permanent, maybe he will record with them...tour with them..." but in reality he wasn't asked to join back into the band and that hasn't happened.

It is funny though. Even folks who have not been a big fan of Ronnie were saying during their last tour he was playing better than ever. A sober and focused Wood was really on the top of his game. And I would expect more of the same for this upcoming tour.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 4, 2015 07:17

Ronnie will be great, and honestly I'm sad for people that got their hopes up that much for Taylor. I'm certainly a Taylorite, but I guess I had more a more realistic view of his contributions last tour. I knew they wouldn't be nice enough to let him play a full set like the Eagles are with Bernie Leadon, but I also thought Taylor would get more than he did. But I never thought he'd permanently rejoin the band and I didn't think he'd record with them. If you got yourself thinking that, you were only setting yourself up for disappointment. I guess my thought was this might be there last tour, so not as much that he would keep touring with them, but just there wouldn't be any more touring so there would be nothing left for him to join.

For the tour they are doing, its weird not invite him. Not wrong, but weird and bad timing given that he was just a guest on the last tour and obviously he'd fit in more here. Had this Sticky Fingers tour happened 10 years ago, no one would think its as weird that he's not there. Its coming after he just came back that makes the whole thing a thing. Basically they shot themselves in the foot, and for anyone that thought Taylor was rejoining, this tour wasn't illogical for them to think that. Thus, it was also the biggest fall they could have gotten.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 4, 2015 08:42

71Tele
Coming out of self-imposed exile for a second: hearing Mick Jagger babble about Taylor - a former band member - not being included and then wax excitedly about the "guests" he was looking forward to having on the tour made me physically sick.

Welcome back, Tele, all is forgiven...

The funny thing is, these guests will not be cheap. It will just be MJ's perennial lame attempt to appeal to the 'yoof' and make the RS seem current and relevant.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 4, 2015 09:09

Reagan
gotdablouse
Keno discussing Taylor's absence again : [www.keno.org] - nothing really new since his 31/3 post (it's nobody's fault, not MJ's, not MT's) apart from the fact that his insider friend who gave him the low down is also a friend of Taylor...

I was told by my closest insider and friend of not only mine, but friend of MT

The plot thickens...

Thanks for posting the link. Just read it. If it's true that MJ wants him and MT wants to do it, but they can't, then it sounds like an insurance thing. If he's not insured, but they announce him as a part of the show, then they open themselves up to a legal liability if something goes awry and he's not able to play. Just a wild guess, that's all. Probably wrong.

-R

Keno - I would not rule out the possibility that he is "used" for intended misinformation on Taylor's part through a "close friend of MT". Just to show the public that there are no bad feelings as there's is "noone to blame" for his absence in order not to spoil the relationship between Taylor and the band - a move that would leave the door open for any future collaborations.

However, I don't think that it's an insurance thing. In case MT would not be able to play, the show would not have to be cancelled because the band has played all this stuff already without him a zillion times.

If they fear that someone could sue them just because MT is absent in a show despite being announced, they could have him as an "un-announced guest" throughout the entire tour which is not particularily long anyway -

MAYBE THIS IS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 09:11 by alimente.

Date: April 4, 2015 10:38

Could he have a legal issue in The US and not get a visa this time? Could this be a similar problem that left him out of Brooklyn's show?

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 10:50

71Tele
bobo
So funny all you guys complaining about no Mick Taylor. Well, I got news for you, he left back in '74 and was lucky enough that they let him participate on a couple songs for a trip through most part of the world as a celebration of the band and that is now over.

Thanks for that "news". We didn't know...I am always fascinated to hear disdain for former members of the Rolling Stones from people who are supposedly Rolling Stones fans. Maybe there is some software you can get that will eliminate all the Mick Taylor parts on the albums from 1969 to 1974.

With you 71Tele thumbs up

Date: April 4, 2015 11:24

DoomandGloom
Could he have a legal issue in The US and not get a visa this time? Could this be a similar problem that left him out of Brooklyn's show?

He missed one Brooklyn show because he had a solo gig in England.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 4, 2015 13:18

71Tele
bobo

Well,then it was good you learned about itsmileys with beer

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 13:51

It's hard to not be disappointed about Taylor no longer being involved, especially if they're doing Sticky Fingers in full. MT being back was what clinched the deal for me going to Hyde Park in 2013. The thing is though, whilst I'm disappointed I'm not really surprised - there was no point dragging him around the world to do one song a night. When Izzy Stradlin rejoined Guns N' Roses for a tour in 2006 he played about 4-5 songs a show. I never expected them to suddenly become a three guitar band (I was surprised with Keith's comments in the interview about how great it was to have three guitarists) but it would have been nice if MT had played on a decent number of songs.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 4, 2015 14:15

These quotes from Taylor from expess.co.uk might have some bearing on Taylors participation this time out, sounds like he wasn't quite finished with rehab when he left. But as interesting are his quotes about touring with the Stones, sounds like he was pretty pleased about his 11 minute stints.

"I was actually in rehab, to be honest, for 35 days, and I kind of got shanghai'd (forced) out of there onto the stage."

Asked if the course of treatment had been a "stipulation" from the band, Taylor replies, "I would've done it anyway. I didn't wanna go on stage, unless I was feeling strong and proud. Which I did.

"I'd never done rehab properly in my life. It's a life-changing experience... But it can only really help you when you are ready to help yourself... I can only say that playing with them for 11 minutes each night completely re-energised me as a human being and as a performer. I loved it. The first show at (London's) O2 (Arena) I made a few mistakes, but the next two shows in Newark (New Jersey) were special. Me and Keith bonded incredibly well."

peace

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 4, 2015 15:39

DoomandGloom

All these false rumours about health problems, insurance, legal issues, higher powers and so on, it's funny and sad at the same time.

The band just decided not to invite him and it was predictable, regarding his utterly limited role during the last period of the touring time. It's also clear that Taylor was and is unhappy with this fact. But the band decided, we only don't know if there was a unanimous vote. My guess is there was.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2015 16:08

kleermaker
DoomandGloom

All these false rumours about health problems, insurance, legal issues, higher powers and so on, it's funny and sad at the same time.

The band just decided not to invite him and it was predictable, regarding his utterly limited role during the last period of the touring time. It's also clear that Taylor was and is unhappy with this fact. But the band decided, we only don't know if there was a unanimous vote. My guess is there was.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're also just creating a rumour. You don't have information on any 'vote' unanimous or otherwise.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 4, 2015 16:57

treaclefingers
kleermaker
DoomandGloom

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're also just creating a rumour. You don't have information on any 'vote' unanimous or otherwise.

Didn't I say I was just guessing? Or is guessing the same as rumouring? In that case I plead guilty.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2015 17:05

kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
DoomandGloom

Didn't I say I was just guessing? Or is guessing the same as rumouring? In that case I plead guilty.

you did, but everyone is just guessing and that's where we get the rumours. I'm not saying no one should take an educated guess, but you're guess isn't any better than the health, legal or insurance or anything else.

It's also encouraging to see from MT's POV, that he very much embraced the little time he did get onstage and that it energized him. I'm hoping that whatever the issue is, and I'm leaning towards it being a health/substance issue, that it is resolved and perhaps he can be a part of the machine moving forward.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 4, 2015 17:25

I have read nearly every post on this thread. I am really disappointed that Mick Taylor will not be on this tour. I find it really strange that they would trot out Sticky Finger's after nearly 35 years because they have nothing new to offer. Even stranger is that the guitarist that helped to make that album great will not be a part of this tour despite it was his great work is on the re-release. I have seen nearly every show in Philly since 1969 and I think it is the first time they have skipped Philadelphia.

I had to question myself how many times can I hear BS, TD, JJF, WH, the same old way? I would not have minded had Mick Taylor been along to bolster some of those songs. It really would have been refreshing, exciting, and a big change. I probably would have paid to travel to Pittsburgh and hotel costs. I would not have minded the really expensive seats if Mick Taylor was with them.

I do realize that this is their band and they chose to perform however they want to and play with whoever they decide. They do not have to change their set list. They are The Rolling Stones and can do whatever they want. However the only thing that is really different is they are really old men now. Just as I am.

However I have the choice of not buying really expensive concert tickets to see and hear the same songs played the same way over and over again. In my heart I know that the magic or whatever you call it, that was the Rolling Stones may have dissipated over the years. I am truly amazed that they are still able to do this at their advanced ages But that is not enough reason for me to go. It is the music that I have grown to love, not neccesarily that individuals playing the music. Do I love Mick Taylor? No. I love the sounds he fingers create on the guitar strings. I love what he does for the music of the Rolling Stones. So without his contributions to the music I don't have an overwhelming desire to go any longer. Unfortunately or fortunately I did get a taste of what the Stones musical greatness once was because of previous guest spot and I want more. I will just have to get over it as most of us that want him back. There's always You Tube!

Date: April 4, 2015 17:43

treaclefingers
kleermaker
treaclefingers
kleermaker
DoomandGloom

you did, but everyone is just guessing and that's where we get the rumours. I'm not saying no one should take an educated guess, but you're guess isn't any better than the health, legal or insurance or anything else.

It's also encouraging to see from MT's POV, that he very much embraced the little time he did get onstage and that it energized him. I'm hoping that whatever the issue is, and I'm leaning towards it being a health/substance issue, that it is resolved and perhaps he can be a part of the machine moving forward.
I was just asking because I know there are many international travelers here.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 4, 2015 17:49

MrThompsonWooft
Anyone who really, really wanted to see Mick Taylor has had ample opportunity to do so between 2012 and 2014. Maybe people should move on.

^^^
Post of the Year.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: April 4, 2015 18:28

PhillyFAN
I have read nearly every post on this thread. I am really disappointed that Mick Taylor will not be on this tour. I find it really strange that they would trot out Sticky Finger's after nearly 35 years because they have nothing new to offer. Even stranger is that the guitarist that helped to make that album great will not be a part of this tour despite it was his great work is on the re-release. I have seen nearly every show in Philly since 1969 and I think it is the first time they have skipped Philadelphia.

I had to question myself how many times can I hear BS, TD, JJF, WH, the same old way? I would not have minded had Mick Taylor been along to bolster some of those songs. It really would have been refreshing, exciting, and a big change. I probably would have paid to travel to Pittsburgh and hotel costs. I would not have minded the really expensive seats if Mick Taylor was with them.

I do realize that this is their band and they chose to perform however they want to and play with whoever they decide. They do not have to change their set list. They are The Rolling Stones and can do whatever they want. However the only thing that is really different is they are really old men now. Just as I am.

However I have the choice of not buying really expensive concert tickets to see and hear the same songs played the same way over and over again. In my heart I know that the magic or whatever you call it, that was the Rolling Stones may have dissipated over the years. I am truly amazed that they are still able to do this at their advanced ages But that is not enough reason for me to go. It is the music that I have grown to love, not neccesarily that individuals playing the music. Do I love Mick Taylor? No. I love the sounds he fingers create on the guitar strings. I love what he does for the music of the Rolling Stones. So without his contributions to the music I don't have an overwhelming desire to go any longer. Unfortunately or fortunately I did get a taste of what the Stones musical greatness once was because of previous guest spot and I want more. I will just have to get over it as most of us that want him back. There's always You Tube!

My thoughts exactly! As for why Sticky Fingers I guess it's because so many bands/acts do the 'classic album in full' tour now. It seems that after Roger Waters' Dark Side tour the floodgates opened and everyone followed suit. It would be a cool show to see for sure and if MT hadn't have come back then it may have seemed like a bigger deal but to play an album he helped make great after he's just left (again) does seem a bit weird! Part of me doubts they'll do it in full, Mick didn't give the impression that is was that likely in the Maron interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-05 03:15 by Seb91.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: April 4, 2015 18:34

The "move on" comments always give me a chuckle. Look at what the Stones play, and look at what they've chosen to promote over the last five years. Mick Taylor WAS the change element in the equation. Going back to the same cash grab formula that they've embraced for so long now is a positive step forward?

Date: April 4, 2015 18:37

Do I love Mick Taylor? No. I do.. Not every great musician is a good businessman. Back in "the day" it took both to make a great band. He deserves his recognition and respect for great playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-04 18:41 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 4, 2015 18:55

DoomandGloom
Do I love Mick Taylor? No. I do.. Not every great musician is a good businessman. Back in "the day" it took both to make a great band. He deserves his recognition and respect for great playing.

I'm sorry D/G if what I said was taken in a negative manner. Not what I was trying to convey. I love his playing, creativity, and the capability to turn one note into six all within the frame. I love what he does to Stones music. I was saying it is not the individual but the collective sound they could have made together but instead they offer Sticky Fingers with Mick Taylor's wizardry on the studio re-release but not live. Like I said it's not my band. I simply have the choice of not buying the product without his contribution. BTW I still have the original vinyl with the working zipper! Quite controversial at the time. I did not particularly like looking at Joe D'Allesando's underwear crotch picture tho. ugh

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home