Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:01

Naturalust
I'd speculate that it was very briefly discussed at a band meeting, with all four members present, possibly even voted on and I'm further guessing that if anyone, Charlie probably voted to keep him on...bless his humble heart.

peace

That's a likely, perhaps the most likely scenario, yes. Plus, I agree with with Justin that for the band, Taylor was most likely nothing more than the "gimmick" for the last tour and that there never was any serious discussion to expand his role or even refresh the band's sound as a whole with a "three guitar attack" - these are sweet dreams dreamt by us fans.

The tone in this "it was great, we only thought it would only be one show in London and we went round the world" remark by Mick even indicates that the band may have seen the whole "Taylor's return"-episode as the band helping Taylor, and not the other way round. At least it was just "fun" for everybody playing together again, but no serious plan to shake up the band's routine as a whole. In a way, this explains why Taylor was not used more often in the set.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:07

alimente
Naturalust
I'd speculate that it was very briefly discussed at a band meeting, with all four members present, possibly even voted on and I'm further guessing that if anyone, Charlie probably voted to keep him on...bless his humble heart.

peace

That's a likely, perhaps the most likely scenario, yes. Plus, I agree with with Justin that for the band, Taylor was most likely nothing more than the "gimmick" for the last tour and that there never was any serious discussion to expand his role or even refresh the band's sound as a whole with a "three guitar attack" - these are sweet dreams dreamt by us fans.

The tone in this "it was great, we only thought it would only be one show in London and we went round the world" remark by Mick even indicates that the band may have seen the whole "Taylor's return"-episode as the band helping Taylor, and not the other way round. At least it was just "fun" for everybody playing together again, but no serious plan to shake up the band's routine as a whole. In a way, this explains why Taylor was not used more often in the set.

Yep that pretty much sums it up. Not that I'm any more happy about it in light of the Sticky Fingers stuff. That seems a better reason to include him than the 50th Anniversary. Let's hope MT gets a decent band together, tours the America heartland to sold out venues and blows away everyone who attends.

peace

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:10

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:45

TonyMo

Tony, your act has grown old, very old very quickly... put it to bed already

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:51

TonyMo

Funnily enough, I think the Stones might encounter some problems explaining why they would want to go backwards at this point in time. The dexterity of the guitarists is going backwards with Taylor's elimination.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:52

Coming out of self-imposed exile for a second: hearing Mick Jagger babble about Taylor - a former band member - not being included and then wax excitedly about the "guests" he was looking forward to having on the tour made me physically sick.

Date: April 3, 2015 06:27

71Tele
Coming out of self-imposed exile for a second: hearing Mick Jagger babble about Taylor - a former band member - not being included and then wax excitedly about the "guests" he was looking forward to having on the tour made me physically sick.

Welcome back Tele, have a seat, what can I get ya to drink? Perhaps some 43 year old scotch, distilled the very hour MT was playing his finest guitar with the Stones. smoking smiley

I sympathize with your feeling but to be clear he didn't really talk about looking forward to guest this tour, only said "we'll see about guests" and even "maybe we'll do something different", the latter of course being an idea Mick always feels the need to exploit.

peace

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: April 3, 2015 06:35

Naturalust
71Tele

Welcome back Tele, have a seat, what can I get ya to drink? Perhaps some 43 year old scotch, distilled the very hour MT was playing his finest guitar with the Stones. smoking smiley

I sympathize with your feeling but to be clear he didn't really talk about looking forward to guest this tour, only said "we'll see about guests" and even "maybe we'll do something different", the latter of course being an idea Mick always feels the need to exploit.

peace

Tele, please don't go.
Turn your lamp down low. I beg you all night long, baby, please don't go

Can I take you up on the offer if Tele chooses to stay in exile, T ?

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: April 3, 2015 08:48

gripweed

When baseless speculation, conjecture and hearsay is extrapolated as faux truth; to the point of anger so profound it results in people picking up their toy's and going home, then I'm going to laugh.

Were you able to step back -some of you would require a car and a full tank of gas- you might see the inherent amusement.

This thread doesn't prove Ron Wood's ineptitude, Keith Richards' jealousy, Mick Jagger's disdain for fat people nor does it prove Andy Johns is a teller of tales. What it does prove - beyond a doubt - is that adult men can fanboy with the fervor and vigor of a teenage girl. I find that worthy of lampoon.

I also find cognitive dissonance amusing, Thirty plus pages of pounding, pounding, pounding the same nail - not only in this thread, but all the way back to the site's inception - and I'm the one whose act is old? Now that's some funny shit.

I've always liked and admired Mick Taylor's guitar playing. Not that he gives a crap, but Mick (if you're reading this...and I seriously doubt you are...but just in case), my apologies for using you to poke the bear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 11:04 by TonyMo.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: April 3, 2015 08:57

How many who want to see Taylor on the Stones tour let Jagger know on Twitter or FB, where his people might actually count posts? (There is a difference between campaign and complain.)

For those looking to move on, the next step for Taylor?

_/ Return Dylan's call from 1985 to join his tour
_/ Join Mayall for his upcoming US tour No smoking allowed on the Mayall tour
_/ Team up with Peter Green and Eric Clapton for a Robert Johnson tribute-- electric and acoustic
_/ Another residency at an Iridium-like club in London, NY or LA playing old song standards ala Davis or Coltrane (um, not Rod Stewart)

Can't believe he'd take Terry Reid on tour around England or Europe to do Stones songs.

Also, it seems unlikely there'd be an "I'm uninvited" FB post if there were plans for a Sticky Fingers mini-tour with him.

But I don't have the inside info that some in this thread actually do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 16:52 by smokeydusky.

Date: April 3, 2015 09:06

No worries from this carpenter pounding the nail, TonyMo, poke all you want, as long as you've got the smile on your face, which I can see through your posts that you do do, all your gonna get is a smile and a laugh from me. Carry on.

peace

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 3, 2015 09:25

Well it does seem a waste to leave Taylor behind. Especially since he is ready
And able and the Stones are approaching the end of their touring years. Hopefully
He will bounce back and hit the road himself. Maybe Taylor and Wood will do a
Larger tour? I think it would be successful and good for the both of them.

99% sure that Jagger's comment was the final word on the Taylor issue. However,
Maybe the stones hit rehearsals and discover somthing missing as they try to perform Sticky Fingers.

I have a feeling playing the entire Sticky Fingers is not going to be in the set lists of the Stadiums. The Stadium setlist may look more like the Hyde Park setlist except with Bitch, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses and Dead Flowers to showcase
Sticky Fingers.

Still looking forward to the tour. I'm sure there will be many memorable moments
Within those 15+ shows.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 3, 2015 10:49

Taylor could get a band together with a good singer and do the album himself. Call the band Taylor and the Tricky Fingers >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 3, 2015 11:51

TonyMo
gripweed

When baseless speculation, conjecture and hearsay is extrapolated as faux truth; to the point of anger so profound it results in people picking up their toy's and going home, then I'm going to laugh.

Were you able to step back -some of you would require a car and a full tank of gas- you might see the inherent amusement.

This thread doesn't prove Ron Wood's ineptitude, Keith Richards' jealousy, Mick Jagger's disdain for fat people nor does it prove Andy Johns is a teller of tales. What it does prove - beyond a doubt - is that adult men can fanboy with the fervor and vigor of a teenage girl. I find that worthy of lampoon.

I also find cognitive dissonance amusing, Thirty plus pages of pounding, pounding, pounding the same nail - not only in this thread, but all the way back to the site's inception - and I'm the one whose act is old? Now that's some funny shit.

I've always liked and admired Mick Taylor's guitar playing. Not that he gives a crap, but Mick (if you're reading this...and I seriously doubt you are...but just in case), my apologies for using you to poke the bear.

A great read - and your pictures are funny as hell - that sort of stuff is needed here...

But hey man, don't put teenage girls down... We all, who are spending their time in "fan sites" like these, and who have been "following" a pop band for decades, starting from our teenage years, and refused to mentally grow up, are like that. We all should require a car and full tank of a gas.. Isn't it funny that a group of senior citizens in their seventies are playing 40 plus years old top ten hits for a screaming audience of fiftysomethings.... God bless the actual teenage girls who might be screaming for Justin Bieber these days...grinning smiley

But Taylor/Wood debate is a serious issue. Reminds me of an older debate between Trotsky and Stalin back in the day. The brave but stubborn Trotskian-Taylorites are chased all around the web by these powerful Stalinist-Woodists, the people in charge of the world order these days, protecting the world of Homo Rollingstonesica. But still the resistance is there, popping up in some odd thread here and there...

And then they say it's only rock'n'roll or something...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 12:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 3, 2015 12:34

Can't we just forget about Taylor and the Stones AD 2015?
It would be great if he gets himself a decent manager, a decent band and do small tours in clubs playing his own stuff. MT has more to offer than a guest spot with the Stones. I'll be in the front row.

Date: April 3, 2015 12:45

LuxuryStones

Surely, but you know 'forgetting' is not so easy sometimes. It needs time and probably some therapy threads like this one...winking smiley

So give us some time...

- Doxa

Date: April 3, 2015 12:56

Doxa
LuxuryStones

Surely, but you know 'forgetting' is not so easy sometimes. It needs time and probably some therapy threads like this one...winking smiley

So give us some time...

- Doxa

Might be my fast recent Rolling Stones-Mick Taylor digestion, even Mick Taylor said "get over it", albeit in a slightly different context. Please go on. I don't want to interrupt the interesting conversations going on here.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 3, 2015 13:14

I like the way TonyMo is holding a mirror in front of us. Yeah, we're grown up men and
women, getting emotional in all sorts of ways by every step our favorite band is taking.
But as long as the guitar plays, it'll steal our hearts away.

But to get back on topic: I was watching the complete Glastonbury concert last night
and must admit that Can't you hear me knocking, a song that I have loved for over 30 years,
now gave me time to go to the toilet and have another beer from the fridge. It was getting
close to elevator music, if you ask me. Not something to get tens of thousands of festival
guests on their feet.

With the choice to perform in big stadiums during the 2015 tour, there simply is
no room for this kind of playing. It's alright in your local pub,
while you're trying to make eyes with some girls around you, but not for a stadium show.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2015 13:38

Yeah that version of Cant you hear was boring but theres a guitar player in the line up and that's refreshing. But the solo is very bad in Taylor standards. He really should have come up with something new. Sounds nervous and stiff actually. Philly was much better for some reason.

Date: April 3, 2015 13:45

He did come up with something different for that solo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2015 13:53

In hindsight maybe it was a mistake to have Taylor on also for the 2013 and 2014 tour? It created the impression that Taylor now was one of the boys again.
Which the exclusion of him on this tour shows that he never really was...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 3, 2015 13:58

When you think about it, about 80 % of audience watching Stones live will not care less if Mick Taylor is on stage or not.

Fans like us who visit IORR etc will feel a lot different with different points of view and opinions.

My personal opinion is feeling sad that he probably isn't going to be there for any songs, and so wish he was.
I also feel so happy that I saw him on stage with The Rolling Stones, for the first time, at three gigs in Europe.

I feel so thankful for that. thumbs up

Date: April 3, 2015 14:02

LuxuryStones
Doxa
LuxuryStones

So give us some time...

- Doxa

Might be my fast recent Rolling Stones-Mick Taylor digestion, even Mick Taylor said "get over it", albeit in a slightly different context. Please go on. I don't want to interrupt the interesting conversations going on here.

Finally it is a question - like Justin said - of a "gimmick": that of having Taylor to spice up "Midnight Rambler" and seeing him with the band. That was the speciality of this tour (50 AND COUNTING, 14 ON FIRE, ZIP CODE or whatever they decide to call it), and we have not yet seen the end of it. I feel sorry for those markets that who have not yet seen the show - they will not be treated with this gimmick (US is such a huge market that they need several tours to cover it profoundly; there will be new fresh audiences no matter they played here two years ago).

Personally that gimmick was one of the main reasons that 'forced' me to make the trip to Hyde Park two years ago. And it was a heaven on earth like moment to me. But of course, just hearing one song was not a reason to see several shows. That curiosity urge was satisfied with that one performance. The reason why I went to see them in Stockholm last year was not that of seeing Taylor with them any longer, but you know 'just' a Stones show (and which was ddamn strong one). Having Taylor still there was just a nice extra.

But I guess there are still people out there who would think like me I did two years ago who have not yet lost their 'Taylor virginity'. And they never will (but then there are those have lost it like me, to whom seeing Taylor playing one more "Midnight Rambler" is not that important)). So in that sense I think the recent tour, starting from 2012 and no end in sight, lost one of his real specialities to attract people who go to see them once during a tour or so, and is one inch 'poorer' (and those are the people who bring teh big money on the table, not the die-hards who follow them faithfully from one gig to another whatever happens). That they now have a "new beginning" or whatever Jagger tries to claim, is just semantics. It's the same show and idea without that extraordinary speciality. But yeah, the choirs to spice up teh first encore number are still there...

So my point is that the Stones lost one 'circus number', but no doubt they will survive, and the show will go on... like it has been for the last 25 years or something. They have so much else to offer than just one brief Taylor-cameo, and they know that.

Anyway, that is how it looks like from the point of view of one fan boy. Selfish talk, actually. Whatever happend behind the screen, how Taylor 'felt', how the rest, why he wasn't used more, and whatever caused them to stop this attractive 'circus number', is totally out of my scope. All I know - and care - is that the 'product' they offer is changed now. Only the speculation remains...grinning smiley

Realism is boring.

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 3, 2015 14:13

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
Heres an instructional video for Ronnie. If youre gonna renew a solo you have to actually come up with something of your own. Ronnie hasnt managed to do that yet and he just doesnt know where to go after those first notes of the solo so why not just study it note by note. Just sayin.
But yes, he looks like a rock star, I'll give you that.

And now show us YOUR video...

I dont have any and sorry if I sounded rude (to Ronnie) but I 'm serious. If he'd learn the solo and THEN change it or just come up with something totally new I wouldnt complain.

Date: April 3, 2015 14:19

It was very nice to see Taylor with the Stones again, but to say that MR was the undisputable highlight of the four shows I've seen since 2012 simply isn't true. It's ludicrous. Add the fact that MR always is great. The only bad version I have heard is Brixton 1995.

It's time to take a look in the mirror. Yes, it's sad that Taylor is out. But enough is enough. It's time to move on. A new tour is on its way.

Isn't this your favourite band after all?

Date: April 3, 2015 14:22

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
Heres an instructional video for Ronnie. If youre gonna renew a solo you have to actually come up with something of your own. Ronnie hasnt managed to do that yet and he just doesnt know where to go after those first notes of the solo so why not just study it note by note. Just sayin.
But yes, he looks like a rock star, I'll give you that.

And now show us YOUR video...

I dont have any and sorry if I sounded rude (to Ronnie) but I 'm serious. If he'd learn the solo and THEN change it or just come up with something totally new I wouldnt complain.

There are difference approaches to this. What Ronnie does is SOMETIMES to honour the original solo by using elements of it. Other times, like on TD, he has come up (luckily, imo) with something entirely new.

And you know that perfectly well smiling smiley

Date: April 3, 2015 14:55

DandelionPowderman
It was very nice to see Taylor with the Stones again, but to say that MR was the undisputable highlight of the four shows I've seen since 2012 simply isn't true. It's ludicrous. Add the fact that MR always is great. The only bad version I have heard is Brixton 1995.

It's time to take a look in the mirror. Yes, it's sad that Taylor is out. But enough is enough. It's time to move on. A new tour is on its way.

Isn't this your favourite band after all?

Like Doxa stated in a previous post: The band is there to back Jagger up, but it's not a real guitar band anymore. That precious ingredient, it's gone. Great to see Taylor and the Stones back again, but neither Taylor nor Wood or Richards will create anything new. Not my favourite act by a mile. That was a long time ago. It's nostalgia, nothing else. But I start repeating myself, just like the Stones. It's time to move on indeed.

Date: April 3, 2015 15:09

They were a real guitar band in the 60s and they are now as well, only different than in the early 70s.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:33

Doxa
TonyMo
gripweed

A great read - and your pictures are funny as hell - that sort of stuff is needed here...

But hey man, don't put teenage girls down... We all, who are spending their time in "fan sites" like these, and who have been "following" a pop band for decades, starting from our teenage years, and refused to mentally grow up, are like that. We all should require a car and full tank of a gas.. Isn't it funny that a group of senior citizens in their seventies are playing 40 plus years old top ten hits for a screaming audience of fiftysomethings.... God bless the actual teenage girls who might be screaming for Justin Bieber these days...grinning smiley

But Taylor/Wood debate is a serious issue. Reminds me of an older debate between Trotsky and Stalin back in the day. The brave but stubborn Trotskian-Taylorites are chased all around the web by these powerful Stalinist-Woodists, the people in charge of the world order these days, protecting the world of Homo Rollingstonesica. But still the resistance is there, popping up in some odd thread here and there...

And then they say it's only rock'n'roll or something...grinning smiley

- Doxa

woody and stalin do have similar heads of hair!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 3, 2015 15:38

DandelionPowderman
They were a real guitar band in the 60s and they are now as well, only different than in the early 70s.

You actually mean: there are guitars on stage? Yes, there are. But the Stones isn't a guitar band anymore since a long long time.

We can rule out Taylor, but the reminiscence of him playing some Knockings and Ramblers that went out of the stalemate Stones-box was a blast, even though the music never reached the quality it had during the Taylor-years. But who could expect that, the Stones being a musically rusty machine since decades?

Of course him only playing on MR and acting some sound of silence role on Satisfaction indicated that the limit had been reached. And a SF tour or not (in my eyes it's a big joke to combine SF with the current band, and a very bad one too), it was very predictable that Taylor wouldn't be integrated in the band, except in our dreams.

So now we only can hope that the SF releases are on par, but I'm very sceptical about that, given the disappointment the official Brussels Affair offered us.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home