Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 27, 2015 12:32

Interesting comments on the Brooklyn show D&G. It's true during the show I counted I think 8 people on stage, and thinking that they used to do it with just the 4. But - same could be said for the Stones. That all said - I've travelled to other continents, and will travel Long distances to other states this summer to see the Stones without hesitation. The Who -it felt like a bit of a chore, or a favor to an old friend - but I still enjoyed their show a lot.
They did for sure lack some of the power of the past but they gave it a good go. Bear in mind they've been carrying on for some time without one of the greatest drummers ever - Moon being like 2 or 3 instruments himself.
I did think Roger was 'careful' with his voice, and wished he was louder in the mix. Still, like I said, loved seeing and hearing them again, for most likely the last time.

Another thought on The Who compared to the Stones Few would deny that Roger Daltrey is a magnificent singer. Good looking, likeable chap and all that. But he just has nowhere near the star power of Jagger. Of course few, if any, do. That's why Jagger remains the greatest R&R front man ever, and the definitive rock star. But it was just interesting to see, when Daltrey made the 'rare' move over to the sides of the stage (and I was on the side next to the stage - sadly, not Pete's side who never came over) the crowd got mildly excited - whereas wherever Mick goes, the crowd always goes crazy. Even when I took (dragged) my 20+ year old daughter to see the Stones a couple years ago in Boston, a memory I will never forget is her saying 'That's Mick Jagger!'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 13:17 by DEmerson.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 27, 2015 17:22

I thought the same thing when Roger went to the sides. I was seated on the front row over the monitor board. Roger came over and very few stood. I told my buddy if that was MJ the section would go nuts.

Date: May 28, 2015 06:32

DEmerson
Interesting comments on the Brooklyn show D&G. It's true during the show I counted I think 8 people on stage, and thinking that they used to do it with just the 4. But - same could be said for the Stones. That all said - I've travelled to other continents, and will travel Long distances to other states this summer to see the Stones without hesitation. The Who -it felt like a bit of a chore, or a favor to an old friend - but I still enjoyed their show a lot.
They did for sure lack some of the power of the past but they gave it a good go. Bear in mind they've been carrying on for some time without one of the greatest drummers ever - Moon being like 2 or 3 instruments himself.
I did think Roger was 'careful' with his voice, and wished he was louder in the mix. Still, like I said, loved seeing and hearing them again, for most likely the last time.

Another thought on The Who compared to the Stones Few would deny that Roger Daltrey is a magnificent singer. Good looking, likeable chap and all that. But he just has nowhere near the star power of Jagger. Of course few, if any, do. That's why Jagger remains the greatest R&R front man ever, and the definitive rock star. But it was just interesting to see, when Daltrey made the 'rare' move over to the sides of the stage (and I was on the side next to the stage - sadly, not Pete's side who never came over) the crowd got mildly excited - whereas wherever Mick goes, the crowd always goes crazy. Even when I took (dragged) my 20+ year old daughter to see the Stones a couple years ago in Boston, a memory I will never forget is her say
ing 'That's Mick Jagger!'

yes but roger use to be at least twice the singer jagger ever was. easier to run all over the stage when you are talking or shouting your vocals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 08:31 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: May 28, 2015 06:47

keefriffhard4life
DEmerson

Another thought on The Who compared to the Stones Few would deny that Roger Daltrey is a magnificent singer. Good looking, likeable chap and all that. But he just has nowhere near the star power of Jagger. Of course few, if any, do. That's why Jagger remains the greatest R&R front man ever, and the definitive rock star. But it was just interesting to see, when Daltrey made the 'rare' move over to the sides of the stage (and I was on the side next to the stage - sadly, not Pete's side who never came over) the crowd got mildly excited - whereas wherever Mick goes, the crowd always goes crazy. Even when I took (dragged) my 20+ year old daughter to see the Stones a couple years ago in Boston, a memory I will never forget is her say

yes but roger use to be at least twice the singer jagger ever was. easier to run all over the stage when you are talking our shouting your vocals
I won't slam Mick but Roger was the strongest frontman in his day. The Who crushed even Zep like a grape. They'd start out on fire and get better and better each song. Roger is always on mark, no lyric projections or need of shock collar cues. A perfect professional unless you're smoking weed. Still yesterday was nothing like The Who, a step above a tribute band with two tremendous front people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 06:48 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 28, 2015 08:34

DoomandGloom
keefriffhard4life
DEmerson

yes but roger use to be at least twice the singer jagger ever was. easier to run all over the stage when you are talking our shouting your vocals
I won't slam Mick but Roger was the strongest frontman in his day. The Who crushed even Zep like a grape. They'd start out on fire and get better and better each song. Roger is always on mark, no lyric projections or need of shock collar cues. A perfect professional unless you're smoking weed. Still yesterday was nothing like The Who, a
step above a tribute band with two tremendous front people.

i'd rather see the stones 10 more times before i see the who but my point was mick was never that strong of a singer compared to roger so one would think mick puts more energy into what he's doing physically onstage to compensate for the voice

Date: May 28, 2015 21:20

keefriffhard4life
DoomandGloom
keefriffhard4life
DEmerson

I won't slam Mick but Roger was the strongest frontman in his day. The Who crushed even Zep like a grape. They'd start out on fire and get better and better each song. Roger is always on mark, no lyric projections or need of shock collar cues. A perfect professional unless you're smoking weed. Still yesterday was nothing like The Who, a

i'd rather see the stones 10 more times before i see the who but my point was mick was never that strong of a singer compared to roger so one would think mick puts more energy into what he's doing physically onstage to compensate for the voice
both great.. Depending on the year it's a toss up for me
Today I take the Stones

Date: May 28, 2015 21:30

keefriffhard4life
DoomandGloom
keefriffhard4life
DEmerson
Interesting comments on the Brooklyn show D&G. It's true during the show I counted I think 8 people on stage, and thinking that they used to do it with just the 4. But - ngnyroll gylcall it a day we don't have to that should be wonderfulsame could be said for the Stones. That all said - I've travelled to other continents, and will travel Long distances to other states this summer to see the Stones without hesitation. The Who -it felt like a bit of a chore, or a favor to an old friend - but I still enjoyed their show a lot.

both great.. Depending on the year it's a toss up for me
Today I take the Stones

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: May 28, 2015 21:35

DrPete
As much as I love the Who, they are on my serious shit list. Cancelled show, no reschedule and the FLAC files I bought ( to have my St. Louis and KC show) , now don't work for the other shows ( I DID get 1/2 of Miami.. )

Agree. I had a ticket for Louisville and already got a refund. Inexcusable to not have a new date by now. I may still decide to see them there or somewhere else close but I guess that might not be until 2016.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 21:36 by tonyc.

Date: May 28, 2015 22:16

tonyc
DrPete
As much as I love the Who, they are on my serious shit list. Cancelled show, no reschedule and the FLAC files I bought ( to have my St. Louis and KC show) , now don't work for the other shows ( I DID get 1/2 of Miami.. )

Agree. I had a ticket for Louisville and already got a refund. Inexcusable to not have a new date by now. I may still decide to see them there or somewhere else close but I guess that might not be until 2016.
Compared to The Stones Tho Who's current business model is second rate. Awful concessions for merch, very un-artistic stage. Stage costumes reminded me of bands from LOng Island. All these years with the oversized band, inner disputes, pedophile rumors and what some saw as disrespect to their bass player by touring immediately after he died has given their legacy a hit. They seem to be selling out big arenas still and the songs are forever great. Amazing Journey/Captain Walker.. Hard to not love it..Brooklyn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 22:17 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 28, 2015 22:19

PTownshend
DoomandGloom
PT - Sociopath

but doesn't live on message boards

Is that you, Pete? winking smiley

Posted by: piper ()
Date: May 29, 2015 01:37

DEmerson

Another thought on The Who compared to the Stones Few would deny that Roger Daltrey is a magnificent singer. Good looking, likeable chap and all that. But he just has nowhere near the star power of Jagger. Of course few, if any, do. That's why Jagger remains the greatest R&R front man ever, and the definitive rock star. But it was just interesting to see, when Daltrey made the 'rare' move over to the sides of the stage (and I was on the side next to the stage - sadly, not Pete's side who never came over) the crowd got mildly excited - whereas wherever Mick goes, the crowd always goes crazy. Even when I took (dragged) my 20+ year old daughter to see the Stones a couple years ago in Boston, a memory I will never forget is her saying 'That's Mick Jagger!'

I like this, very nicely written. Of course the postponed Louisville, and I had 13 row floor. Hopefully they will be here soon

Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: May 29, 2015 03:40

I was at the Brooklyn show as well, and I dunno exactly why I can't put my finger on it but they just didn't capture my imagination. To be fair I had horrible seats and the crowd was beyond lame. The audience at Barclay's make a typical crowd at a Stones show look like youngsters. Even though I love their music and knew almost every tune I found myself fiddling on my score keeping track of the Ranger and Mets games.There's just a wow factor that seems to be lacking.
Joan Jett on the other hand was great! I specifically got there early to catch her for the first time and I was so impressed. Though I felt really bad the arena was almost a ghost town when she opened with the killer Bad Reputation.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 29, 2015 04:18

I too made it a point to get there for the start of Joan Jett's set. She really kind of knocked me out. First time seeing her (& the Blackhearts). She's one of those acts that it's easy to kind of take for granted. But God damn, she's cool and a true rock spirt. She loves rock and roll. ;-)
Just D/l'd her Greatest Hits CD. Gets a bit 'samey' after awhile, but for a 40 minute opening set? One of the best opening acts ever.

I'll also add re: The Who's staging. I thought the video visuals throughout the show were pretty cool. And I also bought a couple of the mp3's of the shows off their site ($10 each - I got Tampa which includes Magic Bus, Pictures of Lily and Slip Kid which I didn't get at Mohegan). They're good but yeah - I'm not throwing away my Live at Leeds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 04:34 by DEmerson.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 29, 2015 04:20

Interestingly enough, Ticketmaster shows Louisville and St. Louis as TBA. Nothing about KC.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: May 29, 2015 04:28

^^ +1 on being pleasantly surprised by Joan Jett's killer set. I had never seen her before, either.

Unfortunately, The Who are kind of hit-or-miss these days. I thought they were great in Miami. I'm sorry to hear they've had so much drama on this tour (not that this is their first tour with drama -- their 2002 tour had to be any band's definition of a nightmare).

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 5, 2015 00:43

I want to thank The Who for rescheduling Louisville December 4th. It took long enough but I give them credit for finally coming through. And since it will be the last few dates after a month rest I'm hoping they will be in top form. I ended up with a better seat in the process, too.

Date: June 5, 2015 03:32

tonyc
I want to thank The Who for rescheduling Louisville December 4th. It took long enough but I give them credit for finally coming through. And since it will be the last few dates after a month rest I'm hoping they will be in top form. I ended up with a better seat in the process, too.
cool I had a great time in Brooklyn.. Enjoy!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: June 9, 2015 02:35

Saw them at Forest Hills on May 30th for the first time. Great show! Here are a couple of videos:

The Who Forest Hills- "I Can't Explain" full song May 30, 2015

[www.youtube.com]

"Bargain":

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 9, 2015 09:39

Great Stuff ! Really looking forward to Hyde Park June 26th. winking smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 13:25

crawdaddy

And me winking smiley Finally bought my ticket on Sunday night. I'm in GA Early Entry so will queue from early to get right up front. Your section is the only one sold out - tickets are plentiful in all other categories.

I watched the 'Can;t Explain' video. They're sounding good!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:40

grzegorz67
crawdaddy

And me winking smiley Finally bought my ticket on Sunday night. I'm in GA Early Entry so will queue from early to get right up front. Your section is the only one sold out - tickets are plentiful in all other categories.

Looking forward to this! It's been over 30 years since I've seen them!

Date: June 9, 2015 18:04

BluzDude
grzegorz67
crawdaddy

3 months for me winking smiley My 1st Who show was Show 1 at the O2 in March. I scored a Row 5 Front Floor Middle Seat at face value, 9 days before the show. Fantastic band and long time good mates of the Stones too.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:16

grzegorz67
BluzDude
grzegorz67
crawdaddy

3 months for me winking smiley My 1st Who show was Show 1 at the O2 in March. I scored a Row 5 Front Floor Middle Seat at face value, 9 days before the show. Fantastic band and long time good mates of the Stones too.

I'm looking forward The Who in Ziggo Amsterdam July the 2nd, a venue with great acoustics. I have seen The Who and Black Sabbath there some years ago.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:30

I feel very fortunate to have seen the Who twice with Keith Moon (1971 & 1973). The 1973 show had a relatively unknown Lynyrd Skynyrd open for them....What a show!

The last time I saw the who, in 1982, the highlight of that show was when the opening act, John Cougar (his name at that time) was hit in the head with a bottle during his set. He left the stage, came back about 15 minutes later and finished his set wearing a(n) (American) football helmet.

Date: June 9, 2015 18:53

Yes BluzDude, I was fortunate enough to have seen them twice as well with Keith Moon in the 70's.
Always remember one show where the band running on stage and Keith doing cartwheels and then jumping up to his drum kit. Both shows at Wembley Arena.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 19:27

steverogan
Saw them at Forest Hills on May 30th for the first time. Great show! Here are a couple of videos:

The Who Forest Hills- "I Can't Explain" full song May 30, 2015

[www.youtube.com]

"Bargain":

[www.youtube.com]

Fantastic show. What's with all the complainers?

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: June 10, 2015 00:38

my show Oakland, just got moved to the final show of the tour due to concerns over Roger's throat, does this mean this will be the last who show ever?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-20 19:24 by snorton.

Date: June 20, 2015 17:39

Just seen these pics of Strokes Hyde Park gig on Thursday.

Just working out where to stand. In Premium view area, which looking at plan is on right of stage. You would have thought it would be centre or something like Golden Circle. Got a feeling it is right of barrier in pic 4.

Gonna be a packed Hyde Park next Friday for The Who.

None of this namby pamby plastic chairs stuff like the U.S.A. Tour for The Stones.

Date: June 24, 2015 01:35

OK so now the Roll Call. I get the feeling a lot of IORRians also like the Who and there will be a goodly number of us in Hyde Park on Friday. The BST website is now showing all sections as sold out and prices on the secondary market have gone cuckoo.

So who's all going ? Me for one winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 02:25 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 24, 2015 04:53

After reading a few lukewarm posts here, I sold my Hyde Park ticket for a small profit. Now, I'm kind of regretting it, since I'm on my way to London. Oh well, instead I'm taking the family to Royal Albert Hall to see the London Phil play film scores. As Daryl Hall would say - leave me alone, I'm a fa-mi-ly man . . .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home