Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 24, 2015 14:43

Having just seen The Strokes and Blur at Hyde Park, prepare for a very quiet gig unless you're right at the front; luckily I was.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 24, 2015 16:45

Some pro shot footage from New Orleans Jazz Fest feed:

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 24, 2015 17:43

grzegorz67
OK so now the Roll Call. I get the feeling a lot of IORRians also like the Who and there will be a goodly number of us in Hyde Park on Friday. The BST website is now showing all sections as sold out and prices on the secondary market have gone cuckoo.

So who's all going ? Me for one winking smiley

Me, Beast, a couple of friends of mine/ours, and no doubt we will hook up with a fair number of other Stones/IORR fans there as well. I think Chris Egan is going, I think Silver Dagger might be going, perhaps SonicDreamer ... a fair few others too I am sure

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:01

paulywaul
grzegorz67
OK so now the Roll Call. I get the feeling a lot of IORRians also like the Who and there will be a goodly number of us in Hyde Park on Friday. The BST website is now showing all sections as sold out and prices on the secondary market have gone cuckoo.

Me, Beast, a couple of friends of mine/ours, and no doubt we will hook up with a fair number of other Stones/IORR fans there as well. I think Chris Egan is going, I think Silver Dagger might be going, perhaps SonicDreamer ... a fair few others too I am sure

i cannot make it for London, i am going to Amsterdam

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:41

paulywaul
grzegorz67

I know Crawdaddy's going - he's a huge Who fan! He's in Premium View. I have early entry to GA so should get close. Unfortunately the catastrophic AEG Live is the Promoter once again sad smiley I know you have very strong views on the Secondary Market. I dare you to have a quick look on Stubhub....

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 24, 2015 20:26

I was thinking of going on Friday. Was going to be a last minute decision - see if any tickets available on the day, because I might be busy. But - having checked out the secondary sites yesterday and today I'm thinking maybe not...

I guess I'm a casual fan when it comes to the who - but I've never seen them before and wouldn't mind doing so...but not enough to pay what's being asked at present on the secondary sites...

Nevermind. If I'm free that night and don't go, thanks to IORR I know now about periscope so perhaps I'll get to hear/see the show that way.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 24, 2015 21:06

Hi MT,

I'll guarantee there'll be quite a few people looking to sell spare tickets on the evening: it's a pretty big crowd!
Do not get sucked into any hype about sell outs (unless it's the LP!) and you'll do fine. Have a great time everyone!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: June 24, 2015 22:19

MarthaTuesday
I was thinking of going on Friday. Was going to be a last minute decision - see if any tickets available on the day, because I might be busy. But - having checked out the secondary sites yesterday and today I'm thinking maybe not...

I guess I'm a casual fan when it comes to the who - but I've never seen them before and wouldn't mind doing so...but not enough to pay what's being asked at present on the secondary sites...

Nevermind. If I'm free that night and don't go, thanks to IORR I know now about periscope so perhaps I'll get to hear/see the show that way.

Martha, you'll get I'm absolutely no bother whatsoever. As SimonN says, there will be loads of people trying to offload spares on the day so I predict you'll get in for below face. I saw my 1st Who show in March and was blown away so I wanted a quick second dose. You may remember I went to Paris for the Sold out Stones show there last year and I picked one up in Pelouse Or for face value after a conversation on the London Paris Megabus. The show's been on sale since last Autumn and has only just 'sold out'. My guess is thst it isn't really and a couple of thousand more tickets will go on sale on the day. Bands, or rather Promoters often do that to burn the touts. If you love the Stones live, you probably love their long time mates and fellow Londoners the Who too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 23:00 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 25, 2015 02:47

I'll be there!!!!!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 25, 2015 15:00

I will be there with zgubi in Premium view, and hopefully meet up with a lot of you there.
I intend to get there by 1p.m. and hopefully with the help of others on IORR or fans I know we can safegaurd our good positions if we get them.

Tix will be available I'm sure for face value or even less as the evening gets nearer.
Went to see ZZ Top at Wembley Arena last night and could have got £57 standing tix for £25 about 45 mins before they came on. I didn't go in till 10 minutes before they came on and so easy to get right up to the rail by the end of gig, on right of stage. Great crowd as a couple of guys were getting me forward a bit so I didn't get stuck behind the tall guys,who always seem to get to the front.
Great gig with unexpected performance with Jeff Beck on 4 songs for the encore. Jeffs birthday , and his wife bought on a cake with candles,we all sang Happy Birthday and they had a drink or two on stage. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-25 15:07 by crawdaddy.

Date: June 25, 2015 15:51

Ha - I wondered when you might resurface Tony! I'm meeting my friend and his son at 11pm for some nosh then queue up in GA Early Entry which opens up at 1pm. Our entrance is down Park Lane near Hyde Park Corner. GA Normal Entry is the top end of the Park as for the Stones 2 years ago.

So Zgubi - the Romanian Lass who made all these great Youtube diaries last year! I don't recall meeting her but I watched all her vids - I'm sure you were in the Madrid one. She went to both Oslo and Stockholm too IIRC.

Your ZZTop story of £57 tix for £25 is normal for just about any concert so the daft prices being asked on secondary sites are to be laughed off.

Martha T, as said previously, you'll get in no bother whatsoever and for a good price too. I know you're not the tallest but givenm the Park is on a downward slope that's taken care of smiling smiley

It seems like there will be loads of Stones fans there to cheer on what, for many of us is our favourite other team smileys with beer

For those interested, the on stage times are as per the link below:

[www.bst-hydepark.com]

The Who are expected to play from 8.20 - 10.20

A strong looking line up imho!

Box Office opens at noon. Some Returns or extra tickets would be no shock.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-25 16:01 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 25, 2015 16:13

paulywaul
grzegorz67

Yes, I'm going. Just got a freebie press ticket so see you down the front somewhere.

Date: June 25, 2015 20:41

So many here going!

Thanks everyone for the advice. smiling smiley

Yes, I realise you're right. I'm sure it won't be hard to get a ticket at or below face. Perhaps I almost hoped that wouldn't be the case....Not sure I can make it so no tickets available makes that less of a disappointment....! grinning smiley

Sounds like a large IORR contingent going tomorrow! Would be great to meet some of you if I make it - but probably won't be able to since if I go I'll be getting there early evening.

Crawdaddy - say hi to Zgubi. Was wondering if she was still around.

Date: June 25, 2015 21:32

Yes! I will Martha. You can keep track of her adventures in UK on AndreeaTravelAdventures on Facebook . She had a great time at Fleetwood Mac gig last night with her little sister. She does such great videos of her travels. Hope you manage to get to Hyde Park tomorrow. smileys with beer

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 25, 2015 22:29

crawdaddy
Yes! I will Martha. You can keep track of her adventures in UK on AndreeaTravelAdventures on Facebook . She had a great time at Fleetwood Mac gig last night with her little sister. She does such great videos of her travels. Hope you manage to get to Hyde Park tomorrow. smileys with beer

Do you mean Adventures With Andrea on Facebbok? I can't find the other one!

Date: June 26, 2015 13:08

Here's the link Mr D.

On my way to Hyde Park in about 10 minutes to see The Who Paul Weller,Kaiser Chiefs , Vintage Trouble and a whole lot more. smileys with beer

AndreeaTravelAdventures

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: June 26, 2015 13:52

Don't miss Johnny Marr.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 26, 2015 14:06

I'm there (after a spot of lunch @ Megan's Brasserie on the Kings Road)
Weather forecast keeps changing - BBC now suggesting rain at 5
Will be looking out for iorrians
Simon

Date: June 26, 2015 14:14

crawdaddy
Here's the link Mr D.

On my way to Hyde Park in about 10 minutes to see The Who Paul Weller,Kaiser Chiefs , Vintage Trouble and a whole lot more. smileys with beer

AndreeaTravelAdventures

Thanks for the link, Crawdaddy. Just had a brief look - it's great, and very inspiring (just like I always feel inspired reading through BV's blog).

Doesn't look like I'll be able to make tonight. Meant to be catching up with an old friend I haven't seen in a couple of years. Was hoping she might fancy doing the who but she's not up for it. Nevermind. I'll see what happens later. We're meeting after work for a few drinks and depending what time she wants to get home, I might head over to Hyde Park and see if any tickets are still around. If it doesn't work out, I'll enjoy seeing a friend I haven't seen for too long!

Hope all you going have a fantastic time! And hope the weather stays nice for you. smileys with beer

Date: June 26, 2015 14:23

I'll be moseying in about 2:pm.....checking out the smaller stages for a while before making my way over to the big one. Let's see if my age and leggs can tolarate a festival situation for 6 to 7 hours.

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: June 27, 2015 13:34

Hi everyone, I went to see the Who yesterday and I just wondered what you all thought? (Aside from the fact that hyde park sound was still very inconsistent/quiet if you were a fair way back).

I thought johnny marr was decent - where I was his set went down really well - lots of sing a longs. Then kaiser chiefs - who, for me, were impressive to say the other acts has decades of experience on them - obviously not as legendary as the other acts but in terms of bringing energy to the stage Ricky Wilson does do a great job.

I thought Paul weller was ok - I must admit I don't know too much of his solo stuff so apart from the big hits and the jam songs I was a bit lost(!) in terms of interaction with the crowd though the mood in my section seemed to dip.

Now The Who - they were solid, they played well, I thought love reign over me and you better you bet were particular high points, but as far as a 'show' goes - I was left wanting a little more - the interaction was a bit wooden and ending on a speech after the last song to me is a bit weird - everyone just wanted them to get on with it and keep the dancing and singing going - where I was it seemed to dampen the crowd everytime. That said I am glad I saw them (that was my first time) and factoring in their age I think you've got to conclude it was a good show - but my main feeling when I left was that it cemented in my head how lucky we are to have stones performing at the level they are at (obviously they are different bands so I'm not going to do the whole comparison thing).

How did everyone else find the day?

Date: June 27, 2015 14:55

Yes ! It was a great day out and not too hot. Had the pleasure of the company of pauywaul, Beast, their two friends and my good friend zgubi.
Saw and spoke to Gregor and BluzDude over the fence so to speak, but unfortunately couldn't meet up on the day as got more and more crowded as afternoon went on.

I thought Johnny Marr and Kaiser Chiefs were excellant .
Paul Weller was great on the songs I know from The Jam and Style Council , but I was a little lost on his more recent songs although very well played by his band.

The Who were great on all accounts and all songs.
Only sour note was they finished at about 10.15 p.m. even though curfew was 10.30 p.m.

Couldn't fault the setlist or thew way they were singing or playing though. smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 27, 2015 17:37

Some friends from Brazil were there yesterday and told me it was an amazing concert.
It's great to know that everybody was meeting up and having fun (again) in Hyde Park. smileys with beer

Date: June 27, 2015 20:06

Got back to my place near Swindon at 3am and still feel properly knackered. Great great day out and had a chat, of sorts with Mr Crawdaddy over the fence, who in turn introduced me to PaulyWaul. You and all the other IORrians got superb viewing spots with PaulyWaul and Beast getting the very best. I agree with others that the abrupt end with speeches from Pete and Roger eulogising one another, fallen colleagues and the crowd with no final bow or encore was a bit bizarre and disappointing. Still, the band put in a great performance nonetheless. Disappointed not to hear Substitute - it's not been played since April. Perhaps the chorus is too hard on Roger's voice ?

The stage and setup was similar to the Stones 2 years ago with a walkway for security in the place of the Stones' catwalk. Finally, finally AEG, probably the shabbiest promoter in the industry, have seen sense and created a wristbanded FoS area for early comers for GA with a fixed capacity. All the security staff looking after entry to this section had electronic counters.

That said, there were still a number of nasty pushing in incidents which security failed to deal with despite the same individual being identified by 10+ different people on one occasion during "Who are You". Security was provide by G4S who pay many of their staff UK National Minimum Wage. Who can blame hem for not wanting to put their arses on the line for peanuts ? It's AEG - they go for the cheapest option every time. useless! We ended up dealing with most of the baddies ourselves including one selfish individual just in front of us who repeatedly held a large screen I-Pad above his head complete with cover hanging down, attempting to film the show and blocking the view of dozens of people. My friend confronted him and put a stop to it though.

Nonetheless, a great day out to see not only the Who but some excellent support acts, Johnny Marr being, for my money, a revelation. I thought Gaz Coombes was rather so-so but everyone else did a great job with Ricky Wilson's Mick-like on-stage energy for the Kaiser Chiefs being another highlight. For me, you can't beat a day out in Hyde Park for a day of bands up front near the stage smileys with beer

And Crawdaddy, I've just emailed you some the pics I promised you yesterday winking smiley. You have my permission to upload them here if you want to!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-27 20:15 by grzegorz67.

Date: June 28, 2015 03:46

I had a great time. Glad I got to meet crawdaddy!

I got to see the Who, Paul Weller, and Kaiser Chiefs and on one of the smaller stages I caught St. Paul and the Broken Bones and Vintage Trouble, who happen to be from my home town. All the bands exceeded my expectations.

I really looked forward to the Who and the Kaiser Chiefs and they did not disappoint.

As far as seeing the show at Hyde Park, here a a few comments as an American attending a British Festival....

1. While I generally find the UK to be a more expensive country, the consessions (food and drink) were quite a bit cheaper than at similar type events in the US.

2. I came in when the gates opened for general admission. I guess because early entry did not meet capacity, the gave out wrist bands to the first 5,500 people which allowed us to come and go as we pleased to the FOS section. I was really surprised that when the Who hit the stage, the crowd didn't rush to pack the front half of the FOS area, everyone pretty much stayed where they were....and knew how to act.

Overall, it was a much more pleasent experience than I expected....and the weather was great.

...but i agree with crawdaddy, there was enough time for the Who to play A Quick One, instead they chose to talk to the audience for what seemed to be about 5 minutes after the last song ended.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 28, 2015 13:05

Thanks for your perspectives, BluzDude - interesting for us Brits to read!

The Who undoubtedly put on a great show, but I agree with others that the lack of an encore was disappointing. And I'm with grzegorz67 when he says Johnny Marr was a revelation. His set was excellent and trumped Paul Weller, IMHO. I like Kaiser Chiefs but I was unfortunately trapped in endless food, drink and loo queues while they were on, so missed them sad smiley

I'll be looking out for The Who at Glastonbury on tonight's TV.

Date: June 28, 2015 13:21

Here's a video of Baba O'Riley that was taken by Andreea, standing right next to me. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Date: June 28, 2015 13:23

Glad to read people enjoyed the show. I'd like to have made it and got to see the band at least once - and it would have nice to have met some IORReans but I had a really lovely time catching up with an old friend instead.

Like Beast, I plan to watch Glastonbury later.

Grzegorz67, from a selfish point of view them not playing substitute makes not making the show a bit better (sorry for those there who wanted it of course)...would still have liked to see them but that is my absolute favourite who song (admittedly as a casual fan I don't know that many) and I would have been gutted that they didn't play it!

Date: June 28, 2015 13:56

crawdaddy
Here's a video of Baba O'Riley that was taken by Andreea, standing right next to me. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Excellent video Crawdaddy. Please pass on my thanks to Zgubi for sharing it. I glanced over at your group many times during the day and I thought I recognised her from her video diaries. I am especially grateful as there was a bit of crowd trouble over to the left of me in my section during that song and Security did finally pile in to sort it this time. I missed half of "Who are a You " too as several of us forced back a big nasty looking pusher in. 10+ of us pointed him out and Security did zero other than stare him out until he calmed down.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: June 28, 2015 14:02

I saw their second show on the U.S. tour in April in Miami, they were fantastic! I first saw the in Orlando in February of '67 so 48 years and roughly twelve shows later I think seeing them live is finished for me...smiling smiley I have the soundboard recording of the show I saw from their website, anyone who uses Dropbox can send me their email address and I'll share it with them.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2285
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home