Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 6, 2015 13:52

I realised many years ago that gigs can get cancelled for very good reasons. Also for reasons that seem to be trivial,petty, or just not very reasonable for travelling fans who will suffer financially.

Only affected me personally once, and that was for The Stones in Europe some years ago.
All booked up for my first visit to Barcelona ,and then postponed for a year or so, for tax reasons or some such thing.
Still went to Barcelona and had a great few days, and a couple of gigs, but obviously it wouldn't fit in with other peoples plans maybe.

I certainly do feel for fans who booked The Who in Paris, which I very nearly did myself.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 6, 2015 15:12

barney57
I got the same mail as Runaway and it means that I have to skip The Who. On 2nd of July I'm flying to the USA to see the Stones in Detroit and Buffalo.

The Who 1 day postponed Amsterdam concert is no problem for me cause I live near, it's a bummer for the Who fans in and coming to Paris though. Have fun with the upcoming Stones concerts, I got my kicks at Werchter 2014.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 6, 2015 16:22

On a plus note the who.com wrote back saying the download links will be available soon.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 6, 2015 16:50

Papo
Beast
I also beg to disagree. In my book, a show announcement signals a commitment to play for fans, except in case of force majeure, which doesn't include playing instead at an alternative venue.

But now it seems I've been labouring under a misconception all these years and should adjust my thinking to one that says a band and/or promoter is quite ready to screw fans out of their desire to see the band play if sales are under par.

It's just business!

A promoter is responsible for his own business, that includes the people who work for him and their jobs, too. If there is a way out of a contract for a show that doesn't sell well, you HAVE to take it.

Example given: I once booked a popular ensemble for a 1000-seats theatre. The prize tag for the band was roughly 20.000 Euro. Tickets were about 40 Euros, you could not ask for more at that place. Additional costs for the venue,GEMA, staff, ticketing, accomodation etc. were about 17.000 Euro. The show was a sellout and we made about 3000 Euro from it. If just 10% of the tickets had remained unsold, it would have been a close call.

I still have that contract at home. In case of a cancellation for weeks before the show, we would have had to pay the band 10.000 Euro. And saved 17.000 Euro. So if we had sold just 50% of the tickets and did the show, our loss would have been about 27.000 Euros. And only 10.000 Euros if we had cancelled. It's simple maths.

And it works the same way on a bigger scale. A friend of mine is a promoter for a large festival. He has to sell at least 90% of the tickets - or he'll lose money.

Sorry but I'm not sympathetic to those scenarios. That's the gamble anyone running a business takes in the hope of making a profit. They shouldn't be gambling with customers if the bets don't work out.

Date: May 8, 2015 04:20

[www.rollingstone.com]

Great interview with Pete! Some very heartfelt interesting historical perspectives from Pete.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 8, 2015 13:30

Very intereting interview and Pete sure is a complex character.

Like all of us, got his good sides, and also not so good.

Guess we've always known that really. Still a fantastic musician, songwriter and performer. smileys with beer

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:30

PT - Sociopath

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:55

This thread/band is an example of how/when I don't say much about bands I have long since dropped. I could spend my time here going on and on and on laying this band and its 2 members to waste. I could nit pick and go on and on and on about my valid reasons for no longer being a fan... but why would I?

I know some people still enjoy this band, so why would I spend time spoiling their good time writing endless paragraphs dissertations of negativity?

:)
Enjoy what you like!!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 8, 2015 18:54

whitem8
[www.rollingstone.com]

Great interview with Pete! Some very heartfelt interesting historical perspectives from Pete.

insightful

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 8, 2015 23:04

Thanks Who, we are 3 people going to amsterdam , we paid 300 euros to change our flight from july 2nd to 3rd. I wish I had never bought the tickets

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 8, 2015 23:45

whitem8
[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks for the post whitem8, enjoyed reading that. Pete, as usual, comes across as part pretentious jerk, part brutally honest raconteur and part spoiled child in a 70 year old body. It's like the complete opposite of the guarded and purposeful interviews we get from Mick Jagger although I get the feeling they are similar in more ways than Jagger would ever publicly admit. smoking smiley

peace

Date: May 9, 2015 01:48

No problem. I actually felt Pete was pretty sensitive in a lot of ways and uses that rough exterior, but he is a very caring person at the core. I found his historical summary quite interesting. Especially, about John. I have read from, and heard in interviews where Pete said that near the final years with John was quite difficult. I thought it fascinating about John's need to play so loud with the effects, and I agree, recordings from their live shows from their last two tours with John, he didn't sound that great! Just very VERY loud with that intense echo effect overpowering most.
It was disappointing to read about Rabbit and Roger, and Pete's interesting word choice describing the event being something Rabbit overstepped. . .
Pete clearly is very proud of his work and The Who. And justifiably so. I am very happy they are out on the road.

Date: May 9, 2015 03:21

A great read!

Date: May 9, 2015 05:44

Yeah, I really enjoyed reading that interview and it really left me wanting more. Somewhat like his book. His book was punctuated by fascinating insights, then seemed to float along or morbidly introspective. I would like to get the full length version he has hinted at releasing.

I think this press conference they did to announce the tour was brilliant. Daltry and Townshend sound so hauntingly beautiful with just the two of them playing together:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: May 9, 2015 10:00

DoomandGloom
The WHO just xled dates to play somewhere else but the played over John's funeral. I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history.

I'm always amazed how hung up some people get over funerals, which are for the living. The Ox was dead and gone.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 9, 2015 10:16

StonedInTokyo
DoomandGloom
The WHO just xled dates to play somewhere else but the played over John's funeral. I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history.

I'm always amazed how hung up some people get over funerals, which are for the living. The Ox was dead and gone.

True! The biggest atrocity in rock history was the release of Tonight by David Bowie, even though it was for a good cause! grinning smiley

Date: May 9, 2015 16:21

Well that is simply not true they did not attend his funeral. Both Townshend and Daltry went to John's funeral.The fact is, that tour was one of the tours arranged to help John's finances... and they decided to keep it going because of all the bookings and the entire road crew. They made the choice to continue as also a tribute to John.

As for the canceled shows, it is very sad, I would be very upset if I had tickets to one of those shows and they canceled. It is a shame. I am sure though there is a lot more to it than we know, and most probably a lot of it was due to poor ticket sales. And yes, a better offer from Glastonbury, where they would be assured a sell out.

I seem to remember Mick canceling a show due to an illness then days later performing at the Beacon for the Shine a Light shows. So this kind of stuff happens. And it sucks for the fans. But also I don't think I would deny myself being a fan due to something like this. The music still stands.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 9, 2015 16:55

whitem8
[www.rollingstone.com]

Nice interview...refreshing. I'd like to see one like that from Mick or Keith. It's funny how it used to be about money AND girls...now it's just about money.

Date: May 10, 2015 01:03

So the download code finally came. What is a pain is the links to the shows don't show the set list. But checking the net the set lists seem to be pretty static. So anyone out there want to recommend a particular show?

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: May 10, 2015 09:46

DoomandGloom
PT - Sociopath

but doesn't live on message boards

Date: May 10, 2015 15:34

Ok, I went for the Tampa show because it has Slip Kid. Downloaded and listening to it now. Sounds fantastic! FLAC files and the band sounds amazing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 16:51 by whitem8.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 10, 2015 17:55

I've asked for a refund for the money of the 29th show in Paris. Enough, I will not buy tickets for the new show. I'm 95% sure that they will cancel the new date too, doing Glastonbury just two days prior, due to whatever they want to say. If I haven't bought this damned tickets, my travel will have had other schedule, and I can go to see Gary Brooker on the 27th in Paris. But... the damned Who, and I have train tickets to arrive in Paris the 28th. Piss off Roger and Pete. I will still listen to your records, they're good enough.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: May 10, 2015 21:21

They did a very shitty thing cancelling Paris. Too gross screwing their own fans.
Never want to hear from them again. angry smiley

Posted by: jaypee65 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 18:18

"They did a very shitty thing cancelling Paris. Too gross screwing their own fans."

Tell me about it: we're from Vienna. My wife and I took Monday off to be able to see them on Sunday evening in Paris. We booked our flights... Now this...
Way to say goodbye, guys: p*ssing-off your fans!

Won't get fooled again. If they decide next year to come in this part of Europe, I'll stay home and save my money.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: May 12, 2015 01:25

jaypee65
"They did a very shitty thing cancelling Paris. Too gross screwing their own fans."

Tell me about it: we're from Vienna. My wife and I took Monday off to be able to see them on Sunday evening in Paris. We booked our flights... Now this...
Way to say goodbye, guys: p*ssing-off your fans!

Won't get fooled again. If they decide next year to come in this part of Europe, I'll stay home and save my money.

And tell me about it too... you're from Vienna, I'm from BUENOS AIRES

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 12, 2015 01:30

I guess I should feel guilty about buying a ticket to the Hyde Park show??????

...well, if they cancel that show, I will be in London anyway. But to book a trip just for a show and have it cancelled, I understand how you must feel.

I guess if I were to do that in the future, I'd have to look into some type of travel insurance.

Date: May 12, 2015 03:31

I feel bad for those fans who lost their shows. It sucks. But you know the show goes on. I would still go to Hyde Park! For sure! That will be an amazing gig.
I really want to see them in Michigan. I just am not sure I will be here in October. IF I am, I will go for sure.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 12, 2015 10:30

BluzDude
...well, if they cancel that show, I will be in London anyway. But to book a trip just for a show and have it cancelled, I understand how you must feel.

Being pissed off by your band (especially with PT) is part of being a Who fan. He stated numerous times (as early as 1982) how much he disliked "this whole thing". Actually he has been doing that since the 1960's... and I assume we may say he "likes disliking The Who".

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 12, 2015 15:48

Hi all,

I've uploaded a large batch of 161 pics from The Who gig at Wembley Arena, London UK show on 8th July 2013.

You can find the pics here -

Sonic Dreamer Flickr Photostream Link

They are in the album called -

The Who - Wembley Arena, London UK - 08.07.2013

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 12, 2015 17:35

I appreciate the Who for what they are today. I never miss them when they
Hit the Chicago area. First show was 79 and will see them again tomorrow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2335
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home