Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:20

Also looking for a cheap ticket for when they hit Belfast (NI) as I will be home that week. Here's hoping

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 16, 2015 13:24

Nice review of the Tampa opening show last night. >grinning smiley<

Nice video of end of finale here as well. smileys with beer

The Who at Tampa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 13:50 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: April 16, 2015 16:18

Anyone for yesterday's set lits?

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 16, 2015 20:46

AntoineParis
Anyone for yesterday's set lits?

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Pictures of Lily
My Generation
Magic Bus
Behind Blue Eyes
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Listening to You
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 17, 2015 14:43

A Quick One in Tampa:

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 17, 2015 15:15

Very good...but with 6 people on stage besides Pete and Rog that's some coverage considering back in the day they killed it with only 4 people.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2015 16:01

Well this sounds fabulous. I gotta go. Detroit here I come.

Date: April 19, 2015 15:29

The Who on Friday night in Miami...probably my final time seeing them live EVER!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 21, 2015 07:35

I "pressed the button" - ticket purchased for Hyde Park.

I just couldn't see staying in London about a mile or so away from Hyde Park and not going to this show. This will be the first time seeing the Who since the Kenny Jones days (saw them twice with Keith Moon).

Date: April 21, 2015 10:02

You will have a great time there BluzDude.

Look forward to seeing you there on the day ,hopefully.

I'm also going to see ZZ Top for very first time at Wembley Arena 2 days earlier so looking forward to that gig as well. smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 21, 2015 11:45

I heard a tape of the Tampa show. Fantastic! Also, though not on the setlist above, they played "Slip Kid". It's a hard, hard world....

Date: April 21, 2015 14:24

Here's an amazing quality recording of the Miami show by Datfly, it includes the sound checks from both Tampa and Miami that come with some VIP packages!

[www.thetradersden.org]

The Who

2Nd Show USA Tour

Miami,FL
American Airlines Arena
April 17, 2015

Source: Schoeps MK5 Cards - Nbob Actives - Tinybox 2.2 OT - Sony M10 (48-16) +

Transfer: Micro SD card > wav file > Adobe Audition > Normalize > CD Wave Cut > TLH > FLAC level 8 & Align on SB
Recording Location: Front Row on Rail - Right of Pete - In front of wedge.
Recorded by: Datfly

01. I Can't Explain
02. Substitute
03. The Seeker
04. Slip Kid
05. Who Are You
06. The Kids Are Alright
07. I Can See for Miles
08. Pictures of Lily
09. My Generation
10. Magic Bus
11. Behind Blue Eyes
12. Join Together
13. You Better You Bet
14. I'm One
15. Love, Reign O'er Me
16. Eminence Front
17. A Quick One (While He's Away)
18. Amazing Journey
19. Sparks
20. Pinball Wizard
21. See Me, Feel Me
22. Listening to You
23. Baba O'Riley
24. Won't Get Fooled Again

enjoy - I did.

Datfly
April 18 2015

///////////Super Bonus///////////

The Who

2Nd Show USA Tour

Miami,FL
American Airlines Arena
April 17, 2015

Soundcheck

Sony M10 using Internal Mics

01. Squeeze Box Take 1
02. Pete & Roger Talking
03. Squeeze Box Take 2
04. Pete & Roger Talking
05. Squeeze Box Take 3
06. Pete & Roger Talking + Guitar
07. Slip Kit Take 1
08. Slip Kit Take 2
09. Pete & Roger Talking
10. Who Are You Take 1
11. Pete & Roger Talking
12. Who Are You Take 2
13. Pete & Roger Talking
14. I'm One
15. Pete & Roger Talking

//////////But Wait...There's More//////////

The Who

1st Show USA Tour

Tampa, FL
Amalie Arena
April 15, 2015

Soundcheck

Sony M10 using Internal Mics

01. Who Are You
02. Pete & Roger Talking
03. I'm One
04. Pete & Roger Talking
05. Magic Bus Take 1
06. Pete & Roger Talking
07. Magic Bus Take 2
08. A Quick One (While He's Away)
09. Pete & Roger Talking

Date: April 21, 2015 14:34

Mr.D
The Who on Friday night in Miami...probably my final time seeing them live EVER!

That was great! Thanks for posting thumbs up

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 21, 2015 15:18

Glad to see Slip Kid on the setlist..can't wait for Forest Hills end of May

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:06

@Mr.D - thanks for the TD link, listening right now. Who knew that RD was allergic to pot (re, his speech after a couple of songs!), hehe...I was toying with getting tix for their show but having seen them on the Quadrophonia tour in 2013 I'll stay with that as RD's voice is now a tad "painful" to my ears, at least on that recording.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:13

Wow, I think Roger sounds fantastic! Good on him!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 21, 2015 16:31

I have excellent extras for Detroit in October. Cost.

Date: April 21, 2015 17:18

crawdaddy
You will have a great time there BluzDude.

Look forward to seeing you there on the day ,hopefully.

I'm also going to see ZZ Top for very first time at Wembley Arena 2 days earlier so looking forward to that gig as well. smiling smiley

ZZ Top is always Great!

I'll contact you a couple days before the show to see if we can arrange a meet-up!

I expect a wild time in the UK. The Who at Hyde Park and 2 days later, AC/DC in Glasgow

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: April 21, 2015 17:42

Fingers crossed that Slip Kid stays in the setlist. For me, that would be like seeing the Stones perform something like No Expectations or Ventilator Blues, etc.

Date: April 21, 2015 17:47

I know it might be considered a war horse, but I've never seen them do "I Can See For Miles" live. I hope it's still on the setlist in June.

Date: April 21, 2015 19:49

If i get out of work by 6 tonight...i will try to hit up the raleigh show...More interested in Joan Jett than the Who...but the setlist they have played over the last few shows looks impressive enough

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: April 22, 2015 18:25

I just saw the show in Miami and it's well worth going to. Joan Jett is excellent and The Who does a hits show. Interesting that they don't get the same crap as the Stones regarding setlists even though The Who setlist is the exact same almost every night.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: April 24, 2015 23:47

Ya I hear the Who are destroying the crowd every night (especially with the genius guitar playing)

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 25, 2015 00:07

Keep up that genius guitar-playing (and the rest) till Hyde Park and Paris, please thumbs up

Date: April 25, 2015 00:25

Great guitar playing as well as a great singer,both on the same stage. smileys with beer

cool smileyRe: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Date: April 25, 2015 00:47

Hopefully they will be in top form playing in their own back yard

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 25, 2015 01:57

BluzDude
I know it might be considered a war horse, but I've never seen them do "I Can See For Miles" live. I hope it's still on the setlist in June.

It's a greatest hit, but it's not a warhorse. Rarely played before this tour.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 25, 2015 09:36

They are changing up a few songs. They played "Bargain" a few nights ago. Wow!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2015 18:48

[www.nola.com]

The Who by numbers at Jazz Fest: Union Jack coffee mug on the drum riser: one. Curse words – about nine. Roger Daltrey harmonica solos: three. Pete Townshend guitar windmills – many. Classic songs – all of them. Buttons eventually unbuttoned on Daltrey's shirt – also, all of them.

Ironically, the only time the sun came out at Jazz Fest on Saturday (April 25) was for the Englishmen. The day's intermittent rain dried up as the set opened with "Can't Explain," and rays finally peeked through as the familiar, mathematical synthesizer intro to the penultimate "Baba O'Riley" began its up-and-down progression. The Jazz Fest gig, part of the Who's ongoing 50th anniversary tour, was the band's first U.S. festival appearance since Woodstock. A bit of snark from Daltrey early in the set ( "Festivals are fabulous! So much fresh air" ) suggested that the band is not particularly partial to the variables of outdoor performances: rain, wind, uncertain sound, et cetera. It was lucky, then, that the festival forces of nature smiled on their anniversary visit; the Who delivered 50 years' worth of power, all the hits, and a sprinkling of comedy to boot.

The normal anniversary-tour show must be longer than the two hours Jazz Fest allotted. We learned that the band had trimmed down its set to fit after a false start to "Kids are Alright," which Daltrey informed Townshend was actually one of the culled. Unfazed by the hiccup, he broke the fest's clean-language policy for what would be the first of many times, announcing, "It's all right, (expletive) happens. Who gives a (expletive?) Pete, maybe." Townshend gave a long and blue introduction to "Pictures of Lily," which went something like this:

"This anniversary tour is supposed to be all the hits, but we actually haven't had many hits. But there should be many songs you know. If you haven't listened to our greatest-hits collections, they're a kind of academic treatise every young person should go through. Now, I wrote this song when I was 21 or 22. I had a very beautiful girlfriend, but had only recently just stopped masturbating. She had three postcards on her wall, Victorian, and they were of Lillie Langtry, who (expletive) the king, or something." (Pause, conference)

"Not on the menu, is it? Well, let me play a little of it."

If the Who had a reality show, perhaps on the BBC and titled something like "Cranky Old Englishmen with Guitars," it could be very popular. They were playful; they had entertaining senses of humor, and they surely did not take themselves, or their job, overly seriously, the latter of which is probably the key to what makes a legacy act exciting or not.

The 2015 touring version of the Who is twice the size of the original band, of which Daltrey and Townshend are the two remaining living members. All six new guys (Pete's brother Simon Townshend on backing vocals and guitar, Ringo's son Zak Starkey, quite mod in his striped T-shirt and bleached mop-top, bashing the drums – "Noisy little (expletive)," Pete called him by way of introduction – bassist Pino Palladino, keyboardists John Corey and Loren Gold and multi-instrumentalist music director Frank Simes) earn their pay, making the Who's big noise: waves of keyboard crashing in and out like surf, jackhammer drums and acres of guitar crunch and wobble.

It was about a half an hour in that the band kicked into gear, fully engaging the muscle and complexity behind its most well-loved songs. "My Generation," the perennial low-hanging fruit for anyone wanting to make fun of baby boomers who decline to put down their guitars, was a familiar, electric pre-punk snarl. Daltrey's brawny yell warmed up on it, and got primal on the snaky "Magic Bus" that followed, with a psychedelic clatter of percussion and a fierce blues harmonica solo to close it out. Townshend, windmilling and wobbling his whammy bar throughout, got into a special place on his red-and-white Stratocaster during a suite of five songs from the rock opera "Tommy," a big, layered, triumphant slice of the show that slid directly into "Baba O'Riley." In a 1968 interview with Rolling Stone, Townshend had explained what he hoped to do with "Tommy," still in the planning stages:

"The music has got to explain what happens, that the boy elevates, and finds something which is incredible. To us, it's nothing to be able to see and hear and speak, but to him, it's absolutely incredible and overwhelming; this is what we want to do musically," he told the magazine.

"Lyrically, it's quite easy to do it, in fact I've written it out several times. It makes great poetry, but so much depends on the music, so much. I'm hoping that we can do it. The lyrics are going to be OK, but every pitfall of what we're trying to say lies in the music, lies in the way we play the music, the way we interpret, the way things are going during the opera."

The "Tommy" set was the show's pinnacle, a reminder of with what nuance Townshend can write and play, and what conviction and charisma Daltrey brings as a frontman. During the closing "Won't Get Fooled Again," the wry Pete Townshend gave himself a quick champion's moment, raising his arms as if to say, "Ta-da!"

"Not bad for a bunch of noisy old farts," he said.

Set list:

Can't Explain

The Seeker

Who Are You

Squeeze Box

I Can See For Miles

My Generation

Magic Bus

Behind Blue Eyes

Bargain

Join Together

You Better You Bet

I'm One

Love Reign O'er Me

Eminence Front

"Tommy" suite: Amazing Journey/ Captain Walker (It's A Boy)/ Sparks/ Pinball Wizard/ See Me, Feel Me

Baba O'Riley

Won't Get Fooled Again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-28 17:09 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2015 18:50

Jimmy Buffett taking in The Who

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2382
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home