Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:31

paulywaul
My own opinion is that Tier 2 was a CRAP location for this event, NOT worth the money in the slightest, and we DID hear general mutterings from those of us in Tier 1 that got out periodically and went walkabout that there were LOTS of mighty pissed off people in that area. I'm not in the least bit surprised.

As an ardent member of the 'I'm not paying more than £100 to stand in a field' club, glad to hear that Paulywaul. Yes, I had to arrive really early, and it was a bit of a crush for a few hours, but I had an excellent view from my tier 3 vantage point.

From your comments I infer that tier 1 was pretty good, but for that price I would expect it to be. It just sounds way OTT to me for Hyde Park...it's not exactly the 100 club.

If this sounds like schadenfreude, its not. Your pays your money and you takes your choice,
For this and the O2 last year I paid a 'reasonable' price and was very happy with the result.

Lee

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:35

OK one more question for those who used the Tube/bus at the end but not running like hell to get out. Our nice hotel for the london gig is actually at Luton airport - great super low price but this depend of how easy it would take to get to St. Pancras from HP. Getting a hotel that is 2 stations from Marble Arch means adding some 50 pounds for that night + adding a checkin/out. So: was it reasonable to use the tube just after the show?

Thanks!

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:36

We had Tier 3 tickets and arrived slightly before 18:00 hrs. No queue at all to get in. The queues were at the merchandice shops! Took me about half an hour to get a t-shirt. Few people behind the counters, and some women using more than 5 minutes to decide wchich shirts to buy.

Anyway, we moved towards the stage and ended up behind the security barrier at first. Thinking this was as close as we could get and that you needed wristbands for the front of Tier3. Hiqwever I noticed that there were people moving in to that section without wristbands so we moved forward to the left side and in to the front section. Moved a little forward an got decent spots in there, I think this was around 19.30

At 20:30 the Stones entered the stage and a messed-up Start Me Up intro cut through the air... During the song Keith seemed lost sometimes, but got himself together for the rest of the show. It was a good concert. Micks voice sounded very good and the guitars did what they were supposed to. Ronnie was brilliant and Keith too most of the time. Nice to see Mick T on (a shorter than usual?) Midnight Rambler. Charlie is always good.

Sound was low in the beginning, but got better after a few songs, But it was never LOUD. They could have turned it up more.

A tip for those with Tier3 going next Saturday is to move forward to the stage on the left side (facing the stage) as far as you get before moving to the right to avoid getting stuck behind the security barrier. If you arrive a few hours before start you will get a decent spot

Getting out was a mess. Trying to get 60.000 people moving out through a few small gates? Ended up climbing the fence to get out of the park

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 12:39 by GeorgV.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:40

Tier 2 was definitely worth it if you wanted to walk around during the day.You walk in 15 minutes before the show kicks off, place yourself at the back of the tier and you have a great view.
So if you don't have it in you to wait for 7 hours: Tier2 will do just fine.

They really fixed this after the complaints.

Posted by: keithandmick ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:45

Hi guys, I'm an italian Rolling Stones fan, I'm 21 and I will be at the 13th july concert smileys with beer. I have a ticket for the tier 3, and I wanted to know how I have to organise to go (if possible grinning smiley ) close to the stage. At what hour should I arrive to the gate? WHere is the gate situated? thanks to everybody, and Stones forever thumbs up

Posted by: Jasper76 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:48

This was the worst performance I have ever seen Keith give-it was obvious he didn't remember the songs and he botched every intro up until his set. Why would you agree to perform songs in front of 60 thousand fans that you clearly don't remember how to play- his performance reminded me of the last O2 show in 2007 where he seemed completely out of it. I just find it hard to believe he didn't look at the set list and think Mmmm I don't remember how beast of burdens starts or the chords I think I better practice it-very disappointed with Keith last night

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:49

muppetmark
Seb91
still ill
The clips sound great to me. Apart from the botched SMU intro, they sound in top form. Also, after all the bad things i've heard about Hyde Park, it sounds like it was loud and clear, can anyone confirm that.

Really looking forward to next week. Aim to get there nice and early with my T3 ticket and see what happens.

Think we'll get Live With Me in the Bitch slot and Knocking instead of Rambler. Would prefer Rambler but i'll never complain about seeing Knocking with Taylor.

I thought the sound level was fine, louder than at the Pearl Jam show I went to there in 2010 which was too quiet. I seem to think on the BST site it said they changed the layout a bit to allow it to be louder.
The sound level is only meant to be 2db higher
I think its just the position of the speakers relative to the wind that made it sound like it was louder (it didn't sound any louder from any of the previous 6 Hyde Park gigs from where i was)

Ah, 2010 seemed a lot quieter than previous shows I'd been to there. Last night seemed to be the same volume it was for the first Hard Rock Calling festival in 2006. Overall I had a great experience there yesterday, in previous years I've found the crowd to be dead but everyone around me was going wild. Such a brilliant atmosphere.

Posted by: wolfmeister ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:49

BowieStone
Tier 2 was definitely worth it if you wanted to walk around during the day.You walk in 15 minutes before the show kicks off, place yourself at the back of the tier and you have a great view.
So if you don't have it in you to wait for 7 hours: Tier2 will do just fine.

They really fixed this after the complaints.

cheers for that mate. I'm sure we'll get a good view.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:55

The intro to SMU was certainly a bit strange....its a really easy riff so can't see how he messed it up. I think it must have been his scarf....but it didn't matter, most people didn't notice.

I thought the sound was excellent. I as in T3, about halfway back. The sound could have been a bit louder, but the clarity was excellent. Probably the clearest sound I've ever heard in an outdoor show.

The band definitely seemed to be enjoying themselves, and Midnight Rambler in particular was sensational.

By way of comparison, I saw Robbie Williams at Wembley on Tuesday night. A completely, boring, soulless, scripted performance, compared to the Stones' loose, passionate, heartfelt playing.

Posted by: wolfmeister ()
Date: July 7, 2013 12:55

GeorgV

Sound was low in the beginning, but got better after a few songs, But it was never LOUD. They could have turned it up more.

no they couldn't, i'm a 'local, and there was a whole thing where westminster council threatened to scrap gigs in hyde park. Negotiations ensured & finally they implemented new rules, lower volume and earlier curfew. It was that or no more gigs. they got complaints see.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:02

wolfmeister
GeorgV

no they couldn't, i'm a 'local, and there was a whole thing where westminster council threatened to scrap gigs in hyde park. Negotiations ensured & finally they implemented new rules, lower volume and earlier curfew. It was that or no more gigs. they got complaints see.

I suspected the location had something to do with that, Thank for clearing that up.
Personally, I would have wanted it louder, but YCAGWYW
winking smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:04

lmatth8461
paulywaul
My own opinion is that Tier 2 was a CRAP location for this event, NOT worth the money in the slightest, and we DID hear general mutterings from those of us in Tier 1 that got out periodically and went walkabout that there were LOTS of mighty pissed off people in that area. I'm not in the least bit surprised.

As an ardent member of the 'I'm not paying more than £100 to stand in a field' club, glad to hear that Paulywaul. Yes, I had to arrive really early, and it was a bit of a crush for a few hours, but I had an excellent view from my tier 3 vantage point.

From your comments I infer that tier 1 was pretty good, but for that price I would expect it to be. It just sounds way OTT to me for Hyde Park...it's not exactly the 100 club.

If this sounds like schadenfreude, its not. Your pays your money and you takes your choice,
For this and the O2 last year I paid a 'reasonable' price and was very happy with the result.

Lee

That's the bottom line, you DO pays your money and you DO makes your choice. I actually prefer to be (a) close to the stage, (b) in an area that isn't insanely packed, and (c) if I have to pay for the privilege once in a blue moon (like once every 44 years) ......... then I'll gladly do it. I ended up where I wanted to be, and I'll be in either precisely the same spot or even closer next Saturday 13th.

What I DO think was a total rip-off was the Barclaycard Unwind Bar thing for £100. Fortunately I have managed to get Tier 1 WITHOUT it for the 13th, so instead of a horrible £399 which is what yesterday cost, next week is a distinct "bargain" for "only £299" winking smiley ................. for f**ks sake !!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh ....... the things we do in pursuit of the Rolling Stones !! Mad mad mad mad and even madder !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:06

Thanks good people for all the updates. So front part of tier 3 is not fenced off. Is it a big hassle to move around the place? for example go to the toilet. In Prague in 2003 the crowd was 80.000 people strong and it was no trouble at all. But with all the mentioned mess I'm expecting the worst.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:08

Jasper76
This was the worst performance I have ever seen Keith give-it was obvious he didn't remember the songs and he botched every intro up until his set. Why would you agree to perform songs in front of 60 thousand fans that you clearly don't remember how to play- his performance reminded me of the last O2 show in 2007 where he seemed completely out of it. I just find it hard to believe he didn't look at the set list and think Mmmm I don't remember how beast of burdens starts or the chords I think I better practice it-very disappointed with Keith last night

Maybe his work ethics is not the same anymore, part of the problem is the fact that the audience is always applauding even if the playing is not very good just because Jagger is still so strong and because there is so much nostalgia involved. Keith still enjoys performing but he obviously is not ready to work hard for the quality anymore. But some of the gigs of this current tour have been quite good anyways also on Keith's part.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:08

keithandmick
Hi guys, I'm an italian Rolling Stones fan, I'm 21 and I will be at the 13th july concert smileys with beer. I have a ticket for the tier 3, and I wanted to know how I have to organise to go (if possible grinning smiley ) close to the stage. At what hour should I arrive to the gate? WHere is the gate situated? thanks to everybody, and Stones forever thumbs up

Arrive early. I got there at 6:30am, but probably could have arrived a couple of hours later and got the same spot. For the tier 3 entrance, Marble Arch tube station is probably your best bet. There are 11 lanes into the main entrance, so try and position yourself at the head of one lane. When you are in, here will be a couple of minutes fast run down to the stage, make sure you head towards the left once you're inside the grounds. Get a spot established...once it fills up, get people to hold your position if you need to go and get food or drink, and return the favour.

You won't be alone, I was surprised at the sheer number of Italians, French and Germans in the audience.

Lee

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:10

klrkcr
Sympathy

@4:40 Did that really happened ?

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:14

Back in the late 60s or 1970s bands/performers such as Hendrix, Jefferson airplane or the doors got crowds turning their backs on them (especially in Europe) for getting on stage and giving nothing different than what KR gives now. However back then they were not holy relics/living legends, but rather great bands who gave lousy performance often being drunk/stoned. Dont think anyone these days would have boooooed a brought back to live old Hendrix or Morrison...

Guys - these people might not be around for too long. Just a year ago the rumors were for a few Arena concerts due to KR health problems.

rollingon
Jasper76

Maybe his work ethics is not the same anymore, part of the problem is the fact that the audience is always applauding even if the playing is not very good just because Jagger is still so strong and because there is so much nostalgia involved. Keith still enjoys performing but he obviously is not ready to work hard for the quality anymore. But some of the gigs of this current tour have been quite good anyways also on Keith's part.

Date: July 7, 2013 13:20

Great show, full of energy. Of corse it's a bummer that Keith made lots of awkward mistakes. It was also annoying that Mick cued all the singalongs wrongly for the crowd.

Bitch was fvcked up by Clark.

The overall experience was amazing, with 200.000 people singing along with just about every tune.

Fantastic, but I question Mick and Keith's hearing, and the sound was very uneven from my great spot in Tier 2.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:20

Some pictures ..........

Gary Clark Jr .....

View from my position up against the catwalk a little bit out from the stage ...

Roll on NEXT week .......... hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 7, 2013 13:25

kowalski
klrkcr
Sympathy

@4:40 Did that really happened ?

Yes it did and that's great and I don't think that's just pretending.

But what I'm really puzzled about this Sympathy is that if Keith would just stand still and concentrate on the playing I'm sure he could play the solos much better even though this wasn't a bad performance on Keith's part at all. We have seen much worse Sympathy solos in recent years/decades from Keith.

And how the hell can he mess up the simple riff of Start Me Up and still play like this in another song in the same concert???

Posted by: Jasper76 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:27

Keiths playing last night compared to the O2 shows last year was like the worst parts of a bigger bang tour-don't get me wrong I love the man and I want to see him playing well but it was clear to see he didn't know the chord changes to many songs- beast of burden being a prime example last night . I would put money on it that Jagger will be pissed off today with Keith for the start me up intro alone . Maybe it was nerves but I could teach a child to play the intro to start me up. At the O2 shows in 2007 peoples mouths were open during you got me rocking-he didn't know what to play of where to play and it was like that last night im afraid to report- Its like he has taken a massive step backwards

Date: July 7, 2013 13:29

Wroclaw
Back in the late 60s or 1970s bands/performers such as Hendrix, Jefferson airplane or the doors got crowds turning their backs on them (especially in Europe) for getting on stage and giving nothing different than what KR gives now. However back then they were not holy relics/living legends, but rather great bands who gave lousy performance often being drunk/stoned. Dont think anyone these days would have boooooed a brought back to live old Hendrix or Morrison...

Guys - these people might not be around for too long. Just a year ago the rumors were for a few Arena concerts due to KR health problems.

rollingon
Jasper76

Very well said.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:35

Nice Pix, thanks Paulywaul
Jeroen

Date: July 7, 2013 13:39

Jasper76
Keiths playing last night compared to the O2 shows last year was like the worst parts of a bigger bang tour-don't get me wrong I love the man and I want to see him playing well but it was clear to see he didn't know the chord changes to many songs- beast of burden being a prime example last night . I would put money on it that Jagger will be pissed off today with Keith for the start me up intro alone . Maybe it was nerves but I could teach a child to play the intro to start me up. At the O2 shows in 2007 peoples mouths were open during you got me rocking-he didn't know what to play of where to play and it was like that last night im afraid to report- Its like he has taken a massive step backwards

I really hope he has not some serious neurological / brain issues which emerge on some gigs more than the other ones. I mean that on some days he would really FORGET the chord changes to some songs he has played countless times, if that's true, that would be really depressing. If it's only attitude or even arthritis or some motoric skill issue, that wouldn't be so bad.

Posted by: keithandmick ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:40

lmatth8461
keithandmick

Arrive early. I got there at 6:30am, but probably could have arrived a couple of hours later and got the same spot. For the tier 3 entrance, Marble Arch tube station is probably your best bet. There are 11 lanes into the main entrance, so try and position yourself at the head of one lane. When you are in, here will be a couple of minutes fast run down to the stage, make sure you head towards the left once you're inside the grounds. Get a spot established...once it fills up, get people to hold your position if you need to go and get food or drink, and return the favour.

You won't be alone, I was surprised at the sheer number of Italians, French and Germans in the audience.

Lee
Thank you so much! Where were you situated? Did you have a good view of the stage?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 7, 2013 13:41

Midnight Rambler:

Date: July 7, 2013 13:56

It's seems like the PA wasn't on properly during Keith's SMU, and that it took him by surprise...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:05

Great pics Paul and since we were neighbours they are even more special !

Just got home in Paris to a nice shower and after an ok night at St Pancras, made good use of the deckchairs on the artificial lawn enclosures ;-) Listened to my recording in the train, not bad (quite a bit of "shifting" though, didn't really hear it during the show), I'll slice it and dice it and put it on Dime and then in the "50th Archive". Honestly I wasn't really bothered by Keith's playing other than the obvious flub on SMU (need to look at my vid but I still think his scarf might have something to do with it), actually I didn't notice anything wrong in the heat of the action...the main thing right ;-)

Here are a couple of my pics (others here : [bit.ly]) I like, sorry not always as sharp as I would have liked (from the end for a change) :

HTF does Mick do it ?!

She looks like Aretha doesn't she ?

Let it rock, MR cooked like there was no tomorrow !

Micawber in action :

1969 here I come !

Just before the show!

How's the paperwork going Paul ? ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 14:11 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:07

Great pics paulywaul,thanks for sharing.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 7, 2013 14:07

paulywaul
lmatth8461
paulywaul

Lee

That's the bottom line, you DO pays your money and you DO makes your choice. I actually prefer to be (a) close to the stage, (b) in an area that isn't insanely packed, and (c) if I have to pay for the privilege once in a blue moon (like once every 44 years) ......... then I'll gladly do it. I ended up where I wanted to be, and I'll be in either precisely the same spot or even closer next Saturday 13th.

What I DO think was a total rip-off was the Barclaycard Unwind Bar thing for £100. Fortunately I have managed to get Tier 1 WITHOUT it for the 13th, so instead of a horrible £399 which is what yesterday cost, next week is a distinct "bargain" for "only £299" winking smiley ................. for f**ks sake !!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh ....... the things we do in pursuit of the Rolling Stones !! Mad mad mad mad and even madder !!

Could not agree more. I was in T1 and it was better than I hoped after all the confusion in previous days and weeks. I have the same ticket for next week and think it is well spent money.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home