Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 31
Re: Hyde Park show #1 July 6 Rolling Stones live updates
Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:38

MoreFastNumbers
anyone at T3 GA near the front??

How early did you get to the entrance?

Is it easier to get in with the wristband that offers fast track entry?

Thanks

I got there at about 3 and managed to get a spot near the front. Depends how near you want to be, I was a few rows back, I imagine to get right up front you'd need to get there quite a bit earlier.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:39

These article writers. I read that article or another like it already.

Mick didn't say the same set list that was used in '69.
He said the same set list, as in the current tour set list. That would save him having to think.

Wouldn't one think, that by performing the '69 set list, he would have to think more than he would if he used the current list?

Mick is brilliant that way though, he did have me at least question it a bit with his answer. Always creating anticipation.

It was mostly obvious to me that he meant the current tour list.

I do have a feeling Hyde 2 will include "I'm Free." It would be fitting in a few different ways I think. I think the set was killer no filler up tempo rockers.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:41

Setlists are boring. Shows are not. This was a rather unadventurous choice of songs but a performance enjoyed enormously by both audience and band. I didn't time things exactly because I managed to leave my watch at home this morning, but they ran right up to the 10.30 deadline and I think we had 2 hours. I wasn't counting.

To begin at the beginning...

Yes, Keith did cock up the intro to Start Me Up - like arriving on stage in a skid and coming out of it at the last minute. On the other hand, it was fun to hear the band turn on a dime to keep up with Mick when he missed out a line of (I think) Doom & Gloom.

Mick asked who was there in 1969 and seemed a bit taken aback by the number if voices that answered (I met a few of them myself). Well, he said, nice to see you all again. And when the videos come out you'll be able to see the white garment he wore over his t-shirt and trousers for Honky Tonk Women - NOT by Mr Fish, I think, but it showed up beautifully in the spotlights as he took a walk around the catwalk in it. As did Lisa's wonderful white fringed shawl for a really devastating Gimme Shelter. A very visually enjoyable show, this, with the whole area behind the stage being used for video backgrounds - blue butterflies for Miss You, and what looked like half of Hyde Park on fire for Sympathy.

Lovely to have Beast of Burden - didn't Keith mention in one of those radio interviews that he'd been suggesting it to Mick? And Gary Clark Jr made a much better job of Bitch than Mr. Grohl, as far as I'm concerned.

Everybody looking and sounding absolutely delighted to be there - lots of smiles from all and a big grin on Keith's face a lot of the time. I expect once the videos appear all the experts will pick the guitars to pieces as usual, but as I'm no judge, thank God, I thought both Keith and Ronnie sounded great, apart from SMU as already mentioned.

VERY hot out in the field, with Security giving out water from great plastic dustbins full. I was on the rail of the Security area and I saw at least six or seven people carried out fainting by the paramedics during the show.

There was filming going on all the time, both onstage and in the crowd - you might have the horrible experience of seeing yours truly singing along to You Got The Silver!

I'll do another post about the layout of the arena, because it was rather peculiar and produced some problems. I will say, though, that the toilets for Tier 3 were nice and clean and uncrowded and worked perfectly - so much for the alleged superior Tier 1 facilities...

And I had the pleasure of standing next to a young lad of about 10, discovering his first Stones show - clapping, singing, taking pictures - and he wants to see them again. Hope he gets the chance.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:45

Green Lady
Setlists are boring. Shows are not. This was a rather unadventurous choice of songs but a performance enjoyed enormously by both audience and band. I didn't time things exactly because I managed to leave my watch at home this morning, but they ran right up to the 10.30 deadline and I think we had 2 hours. I wasn't counting.

To begin at the beginning...

Yes, Keith did cock up the intro to Start Me Up - like arriving on stage in a skid and coming out of it at the last minute. On the other hand, it was fun to hear the band turn on a dime to keep up with Mick when he missed out a line of (I think) Doom & Gloom.

Mick asked who was there in 1969 and seemed a bit taken aback by the number if voices that answered (I met a few of them myself). Well, he said, nice to see you all again. And when the videos come out you'll be able to see the white garment he wore over his t-shirt and trousers for Honky Tonk Women - NOT by Mr Fish, I think, but it showed up beautifully in the spotlights as he took a walk around the catwalk in it. As did Lisa's wonderful white fringed shawl for a really devastating Gimme Shelter. A very visually enjoyable show, this, with the whole area behind the stage being used for video backgrounds - blue butterflies for Miss You, and what looked like half of Hyde Park on fire for Sympathy.

Lovely to have Beast of Burden - didn't Keith mention in one of those radio interviews that he'd been suggesting it to Mick? And Gary Clark Jr made a much better job of Bitch than Mr. Grohl, as far as I'm concerned.

Everybody looking and sounding absolutely delighted to be there - lots of smiles from all and a big grin on Keith's face a lot of the time. I expect once the videos appear all the experts will pick the guitars to pieces as usual, but as I'm no judge, thank God, I thought both Keith and Ronnie sounded great, apart from SMU as already mentioned.

VERY hot out in the field, with Security giving out water from great plastic dustbins full. I was on the rail of the Security area and I saw at least six or seven people carried out fainting by the paramedics during the show.

There was filming going on all the time, both onstage and in the crowd - you might have the horrible experience of seeing yours truly singing along to You Got The Silver!

I'll do another post about the layout of the arena, because it was rather peculiar and produced some problems. I will say, though, that the toilets for Tier 3 were nice and clean and uncrowded and worked perfectly - so much for the alleged superior Tier 1 facilities...

And I had the pleasure of standing next to a young lad of about 10, discovering his first Stones show - clapping, singing, taking pictures - and he wants to see them again. Hope he gets the chance.

Thank you for the in person review, you are awesome!

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:48

JMARKO
steini
I like different opinions and debating BUT moaners and whiners are something else. For example all serious music enjoyers and stones fans know that the set list does not tell the whole story. When the band shines and there is magic in the air that is what counts. For example on the ppv gig last year i thought they got better and better as the show moved on and yes the later in the set the more warhorses.When sitting home in front of computer we tend to imagine the show from the set list and of course we all like rarities if they work well. But those who saw the show know.

And remember: DonĀ“t take the Stones for granted, be critical with common sense and not at least thankful!

Moaners and whiners are something else, but so are the opposite PC Smile Teamers who throw confetti on anything this band does. If I read "best show they have ever done" and more excuses for sleepwalk setlists I might have to start listening to The Beatles.

Please people be real, you can say the setlist was boring and STILL like the band. They won't revoke your Super Fan card.

You can actually be critical of the band and not feel the need to compliment and excuse every choice they make and note they hit.

Christ, I'd like to think the Stones themselves would detest anyone piling on the sugar coating out of waxing nostalgic respect.

Part of their whole appeal has always been their edge for being real.

The winking con men quote earlier was spot on. They enjoy it, the play well, but they long ago gave into the reality that this is just a shadow of what they were.
Barclays VIP tents and packages with "meet and greets"? They laugh at this stuff and collect their checks.

They don't need a trophy for every show for the sake of giving them a trophy, or because they've been around so long.

No one's taking them for granted if they don't like a setlist. Or not 'thankful' because a show lets them down or they think the band is kind of taking the night off. Because both of those things can actually be true, and you can still be a fan.

J

Very well said.

Something that I think people tend to forget is that your location at a show can greatly enhance or destroy your impression of a show. Various factors, sound, the people around you, etc. It's in this spirit that I take my shots about being in the pit every night would make every show amazing. It skews one's perspective.

It seems there's a civil war going on between fans. People are passionate about this band. They care.

I like Tumbling Dice sliding into slot 3. For me the third slot can be anything so I was disappointed -- in the view of some, I'm sure, not a true fan -- that Paint It Black was there for the US shows.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:49

How about this picture :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 03:52 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:49

sarahunwin
and my dentist was in Harley Street!

Wow! We're your parents loaded?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 7, 2013 03:50

Some clips popping up on YouTube now.

Good performances...

Honky Tonk Women

All Down The Line

Seems this person filmed the whole or most of the concert.

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 03:56 by His Majesty.

Date: July 7, 2013 03:53

bye bye johnny
L'Wren Scott's setlist:

#setlist #divine therollingstones @MickJagger my notes

[twitter.com]

Wow, that is pretty cool, Lwren's personal notes on Jagger wardrobe.

Date: July 7, 2013 04:00

cool smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 12:51 by His Majesty.

Date: July 7, 2013 04:00

His Majesty
Some clips popping up on YouTube now.

Good performances...

Honky Tonk Women

All Down The Line

Seems this person filmed the whole or most of the concert.

cool smiley

Cool thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 16:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 7, 2013 04:13

My attempt to draw the layout of the Hyde Park arena - the three things marked X are three enormous sound/film structures that block the view for miles, and therefore have a screen behind them so you can watch what you can't see. The thing that caused the difficulties is a big railed-off security area that runs practically the whole width of the field. I assumed at first that everything the other side of it was Tier 1 or 2, but no - THERE IS MORE T3 ON THE OTHER SIDE. The trouble is that to get to it you have to make an enormous detour around the end of the security area.

I found myself a nice spot on the rail of the security area - good view of screens and part of stage - but throughout the show security were dealing with people who arrived at the rails and couldn't work out
(a) whether their T3 tickets allowed them into the bit on the far side
(b) how to get there
(c) having got there, how to get back.

I probably have the exact layout of T1/T2 wrong, but I'm describing this because the bit of T3 on the Keith-side stage side of the security area was very thinly populated - plenty of room to dance and move about - so it's worth knowing that yes, you are allowed in there without a wristband. Useful information for next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 04:16 by Green Lady.

Posted by: djrambler ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:25

Show was solid. A little ragged for the first few songs but it tightened up after ADTL. I thought the shows I saw in Chicago and Philly were better but it was great to see them in Hyde Park. It felt like an event. Mick was outstanding. There's a catwalk from the stage that goes about halfway back into the Tier 2 area and Mick was out there a lot.

We had Tier 2 tix. There's a big speaker tower in the middle of the Tier 2 so some of the view is blocked behind it. I dont think BST shows that on the map. We got there around 3 and parked it in the area in front of the tower and had a good view. Get there a little early so you're not blocked by the tower. There's also room on the stage left side. It wasnt overly jammed until the set break between the Vaccines and Stones, then it got really full. I walked over to the Tier 3 area in front of the stage around 4:00 and it was fairly full but still had room. I'm sure it was more jammed later. Some of the crowd in tier 2 was a lame during the first part of the set. A lot of people didnt seem to know ADTL, BOB or Bitch at all. One guy next to me was surprised that I knew the words to Bitch and BOB. Of course, It picked up later when the warhorses kicked in.

The alleged extra bar/hospitality for Tier 1/2 consisted of one bar by the main gate. They had a full bar there and it looked pretty disorganized. Total waste of time. I didn't go there except once during the stones set when it was fairly open. The lines for food and beer in the rest of the festival were pretty long. The bar with the quickest moving line was the Pizazza bar-but it still took 10-15 min there. Leave some time to get around if you're getting food/drink. Also, the merch lines were nuts. I only saw 3 merch stands and they were understaffed.

Btw, we got our tickets at will call on Weds after the tickets didnt arrive before we left the States. Yet when we went the gate to enter, the will call tickets didnt scan. They let us in anyway after i explained the will call situation but clearly the ticket situation is funky, to say the least.

Overall, it was fun. Get there early no matter where you're sitting.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:33

would have been great if they did the exact setlist from 69. plus some bonus stuff to fill it out of course

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 04:37 by melillo.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:34

Shelter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 04:35 by klrkcr.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:36

nice version

Date: July 7, 2013 04:40

This concert go'er got some great clips.
Here's Bitch

The start...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 04:42 by klrkcr.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:42

Green Lady

Thanks very much for this detailed very useful post and the illustration.

Do you have any info about the fast track entry payband? Any advances of it (get in earlier than generally) etc ?

And can we take in some sandwitches/water?

Thanks smiling smiley

Date: July 7, 2013 04:45

What a fook up at the start! grinning smiley

Date: July 7, 2013 04:48

Sympathy

IORR

Date: July 7, 2013 04:50

Don't know anything about fast track entry gizmos - you'll need to ask people who had them.

You can't take in anything to eat or drink except one unopened 500ml bottle of water. Queues for food were quite long so it might be worth eating before you go in.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:51

Ughh... Keith's soloing on Sympathy sad smiley

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 7, 2013 04:55

andrewt
kleermaker
andrewt

Of course, right now, it's just a list...I'll have to wait for the video to show up to see and hear what's what but the photos of Mick & Keith beaming at each other bode well.

Undoubtedly best show ever.

Legendary. I can hear Chuck's keys on SFTD now. Best Chuck yet.

The only thing more ridiculous than judging a show merely by looking at the set list, is judging how much of a fan someone is by by the amount of critical thinking, or lack thereof, there is in their comments.....

Best fan ever......legendary.

Date: July 7, 2013 04:57

Satisfaction

Date: July 7, 2013 05:02

Big Al
Ughh... Keith's soloing on Sympathy sad smiley

Much the same as his soloing on Rock & Roll Circus version. Dog rough. grinning smiley

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 7, 2013 05:03

klrkcr
Here's Bitch

I'm gonna sound like a complainer here, but what the hell. I did enjoy that version of Bitch. Since '89 it has been a live mess with inaudible guitars, heavy bass and thick brass. And mediocre Jagger vocals. This is a good mix and good performance all around. Nice and raw too. But the studio version has something special that they're ignoring--the band lays back to almost nothing when Keith starts his solo and they do this incredible buildup into a sublime but heavy groove. Since they've decided over the last couple of decades to be as true to the originals as they can, they should really take a listen to the last minute of the SF version and try it again. It's like they're playing the climax through most of the song here, which makes it a real letdown for me in the end. "This is a job for Chuck!"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 7, 2013 05:04

Just got back from London. That was a great night. Some things stick out like Mick wearing the little white dress from 69 (look what I found out back). He also recited some poetry but I can't remember what.

I had T3 GA tickets. As long as you get there before 4 or 5 pm I reckon you can easily get to within the first 20 rows or maybe closer. I hung back a bit because I had my 11 year old boy with me but even then was within 50 rows of the front. (He was on my shoulders most of the night and they really ache now.)

I met up with some Australians who had flown in from Perth to see the Stones! A great story here - the girl had meant to see the Stones with her Dad for Voodoo Lounge tour but wasn't allowed. This was finally her chance and she was crying her eyes out when the Sotnes hit the stage! The way this band can bring emotions like that out in people puts the set list whiners into perspective.

OK so it was warhorse heavy and down to 19 songs from 23 last year. Hovever, they really rocked tonight. The Stones are a stadium band and they really know how to play to a big crowd. The crowd was younger and far more energetic that you get at a seated gig and this was a good thing. People were talkative and fun to be around, rather than rattling jewlery!

Start me up is the perfect opener and got everyone into the mood, singing along at the top of their voices. Tumbling Dice is always a highlight for me and I like it as no. 3 in the set. Then All Dwn The Line which went down really well with the crowd and sounded really good and kind of slow.

Beast of Burdon was a real surprise and sounded good. Bitch was a nice touch with an extended solo.

A real highlight for me was You Got The Silver. The entire stadium was singing alothe top of their voices and Keith went down very well.

Midnight Rambler saw the only Mick Taylor slot (other than Satisfaction) but I really hope they do CYHMK next week.

Sympathy always goes down really well with the crowd and I thought the version tonight was pretty good. It's always a high point in the set but in the last couple of tours was ruined by poor guitar work. That all seems behind the band now and it sounded great, albeit not a touch on 69.

Other things to mention - the queues for the bar were totally ridiculous and it took 20 mitutes to get a beer. I gave up trying to get food. If they're going to ban you taking your own booze they should lay on enough bar staff.

Last of all, I want to say thet the way to see the Stones is in a stadium with general admission. T3 was a party all day and it brought back to me the atmosphere of Stones gigs from the old days. The last few tours have had pitch seating and that has really sucked the atmosphere away. The Stones know how to work a big crowd better than anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-07 05:05 by sjs12.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 7, 2013 05:12

Mick and Keith look real happy with each other in
The ragged hot sftd.. Very cool to see!

Date: July 7, 2013 05:14

Burden

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: July 7, 2013 05:15

sjs12
Just got back from London. That was a great night. Some things stick out like Mick wearing the little white dress from 69 (look what I found out back). He also recited some poetry but I can't remember what.

I had T3 GA tickets. As long as you get there before 4 or 5 pm I reckon you can easily get to within the first 20 rows or maybe closer. I hung back a bit because I had my 11 year old boy with me but even then was within 50 rows of the front. (He was on my shoulders most of the night and they really ache now.)

I met up with some Australians who had flown in from Perth to see the Stones! A great story here - the girl had meant to see the Stones with her Dad for Voodoo Lounge tour but wasn't allowed. This was finally her chance and she was crying her eyes out when the Sotnes hit the stage! The way this band can bring emotions like that out in people puts the set list whiners into perspective.

OK so it was warhorse heavy and down to 19 songs from 23 last year. Hovever, they really rocked tonight. The Stones are a stadium band and they really know how to play to a big crowd. The crowd was younger and far more energetic that you get at a seated gig and this was a good thing. People were talkative and fun to be around, rather than rattling jewlery!

Start me up is the perfect opener and got everyone into the mood, singing along at the top of their voices. Tumbling Dice is always a highlight for me and I like it as no. 3 in the set. Then All Dwn The Line which went down really well with the crowd and sounded really good and kind of slow.

Beast of Burdon was a real surprise and sounded good. Bitch was a nice touch with an extended solo.

A real highlight for me was You Got The Silver. The entire stadium was singing alothe top of their voices and Keith went down very well.

Midnight Rambler saw the only Mick Taylor slot (other than Satisfaction) but I really hope they do CYHMK next week.

Sympathy always goes down really well with the crowd and I thought the version tonight was pretty good. It's always a high point in the set but in the last couple of tours was ruined by poor guitar work. That all seems behind the band now and it sounded great, albeit not a touch on 69.

Other things to mention - the queues for the bar were totally ridiculous and it took 20 mitutes to get a beer. I gave up trying to get food. If they're going to ban you taking your own booze they should lay on enough bar staff.

Last of all, I want to say thet the way to see the Stones is in a stadium with general admission. T3 was a party all day and it brought back to me the atmosphere of Stones gigs from the old days. The last few tours have had pitch seating and that has really sucked the atmosphere away. The Stones know how to work a big crowd better than anyone.

great review! thanks

this food thing is really worrisome for next week...
did you try to bring in some sandwitches and they didn't allow it??

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home