Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: Chicago-3 June 3 Stones show live updates
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:01

Implied facepalm - when a proper facepalm isn't necessary. hehe.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:06

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 14:38 by latebloomer.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:09

Mathijs
Britney
sonomastone
Mathijs
That's actually a very fine performance.

Mathijs

It sounded fine to me other than chuck but wasnt the dancing together a little creepy/awkward? Musically it is fine but dang Buddy Guy would have fit in a lot better.
Dunno, somehow I don't see Buddy Guy doin' that dance routine with Mick. But he definitely could have spiced the song up with some tasty blueslicks.

I have never liked Buddy Guy, and I think he and blues in general is just old hat. I like it that the Stones try to stay contemporary.

Mathijs

That's fair, but this is pretty much just pandering......what next, Mick on CMT, trying to outdo Joe Elliot?

Date: June 4, 2013 14:14

latebloomer
The cue was for doing the chorus one more time in the ending, unlike on the album.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought the song worked fine and even though the hard core Stones fans aren't happy about it, I'll bet they'll be a decent amount of buzz about the duet in the press today.

My daughter likes Taylor Swift too, DandelionPowderman and she's almost 20. Eleven is a sweet age, very much Daddy's girl. Enjoy it while you can, in a few years she won't want your opinion about much of anything. smiling smiley[/quote]

I know... I have a 16 y o daughter as well winking smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 14:15

Thrylan
Mathijs
Britney
sonomastone
Mathijs
That's actually a very fine performance.

Mathijs

It sounded fine to me other than chuck but wasnt the dancing together a little creepy/awkward? Musically it is fine but dang Buddy Guy would have fit in a lot better.
Dunno, somehow I don't see Buddy Guy doin' that dance routine with Mick. But he definitely could have spiced the song up with some tasty blueslicks.

I have never liked Buddy Guy, and I think he and blues in general is just old hat. I like it that the Stones try to stay contemporary.

Mathijs

That's fair, but this is pretty much just pandering......what next, Mick on CMT, trying to outdo Joe Elliot?

Ronnie already tried that winking smiley

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:27

Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity
AWESOME shot of Keith... Lookin like a True Blues Man

it seems a little bit tired...

Yeah........tired of Micks stunts. Wasn't he the one who said,"Why the fukk would I want to sound like Johny Rotten for?"..........ditto

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:30

latebloomer
rollingon
toomuchforme
Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity
AWESOME shot of Keith... Lookin like a True Blues Man

it seems a little bit tired...

no he is the old bluesman

The grumpy old bluesman.

Fantastic shot! He's not grumpy at all, if you watch the video you can see that he's concentrating on Mick, who cues him at one point.

Lots of interesting comments from last night, mostly to do with the other Taylor, the one with the flat ass, as opposed to the one with the rapidly disapearing ass. It will be good to hear later from some more of the people who were actually there and can give us a more well rounded view. grinning smiley

Where can I buy those kind of shoes Keith has?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:40

kowalski
The video everyone was waiting for...

Sounds lovely!

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:42

Great show, I thought the boys sounded fantastic. Was really bummed about missing CYHMK since its my holy grail, but Sway with Mick was a nice consolation prize, as was Live With Me. The poster that said the audience had no idea what those songs were was right on. Highlight of the show and most in my section were sitting. I hate hate hate Taylor Swift, but As Tears Go By was a nice surprise. Great to see Emotional Rescue and You Got the Silver as well and of course Rambler.

I was sitting in front of some friends of Chuck's and they said that if all goes well, the plan is to tour Europe, Australia (I think) and then come back to the states. Hopefully I can hit more than one show if they come back because they still got it.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 4, 2013 14:46

Taylor Swift got better after the first few seconds. When she started, it sounded like a cat screeching. Is she capable of harmonizing? Mick was smart, he let her dance across the stage waving her long arms and THAT'S all her fans needed. She could have hummed and they'd be happy.

Frankly I think her songs sound a little simple-minded, made for early teens yet she's , what? 23? Give her credit though, she found a niche: "my bad boyfriend done me wrong." Except it's said in white suburban girl language. I can't wait to see the transition in here. How long do you think she'll want to maintain her present stage persona? Everyone knows it's an act given the guys she's gone through.

Thank the gods it was only a few minutes. I think Jagger is smart to appeal to all generations. BTW, just because she writes her own songs doesn't mean they're good songs....

Date: June 4, 2013 14:47

Madcap
Great show, I thought the boys sounded fantastic. Was really bummed about missing CYHMK since its my holy grail, but Sway with Mick was a nice consolation prize, as was Live With Me. The poster that said the audience had no idea what those songs were was right on. Highlight of the show and most in my section were sitting. I hate hate hate Taylor Swift, but As Tears Go By was a nice surprise. Great to see Emotional Rescue and You Got the Silver as well and of course Rambler.

I was sitting in front of some friends of Chuck's and they said that if all goes well, the plan is to tour Europe, Australia (I think) and then come back to the states. Hopefully I can hit more than one show if they come back because they still got it.

Jagger has previously clearly expressed his desire to tour in Australia, it's one of his favorite places!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:15

His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

I love Keith here, Jagger singing rather well. But I don't like the girl's voice: too shrill for the song. And now I want them to perform Blue Turns To Grey and The Singer Not The Song as quickly as possible! No singer guests needed.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:18

kleermaker
His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

I love Keith here, Jagger singing rather well. But I don't like the girl's voice: too shrill for the song. And now I want them to perform Blue Turns To Grey and The Singer Not The Song as quickly as possible! No singer guests needed.

thumbs up

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:26

Jagger does a great vocal on this one.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:27

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: June 4, 2013 15:36

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

thumbs up

Jess's husband here,

Lame. The Swift girl's audience is teen girls. period. I watched the video and paid most attention to the audience, they weren't too impressed with her. Her cutesy finger waves that work with 13 yr olds made an adult audience guffaw. She'll have to grow up -- or act grown up sooner or later.

It wasn't lovely. It wasn't horrible -- given it was a simple song to sing, and her floating across the stage encapsulated her limited talent. She didn't get a standing "O" -- sounded like polite applause. I thought it was silly but probably a brilliant PR move on Mick's part.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:37

kleermaker
His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

Listening to the song I was a bit disappointed - Taylor Swift had done her homework and knew the words and made a decent job of it, but I agree with kleermaker that her voice is too used to singing things that need a lot of "attack" and is a bit harsh for As Tears Go By. Very far from a trainwreck but not as good as I hoped it might be - and Mick didn't seem really comfortable with his singing either.

As for Keith sitting down - they sat down to play the acoustics for Lady Jane last year, and I think Keith also sat to play ATGB when they did it in Italy on the Bigger Bang tour.

Date: June 4, 2013 15:41

Green Lady
kleermaker
His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

Listening to the song I was a bit disappointed - Taylor Swift had done her homework and knew the words and made a decent job of it, but I agree with kleermaker that her voice is too used to singing things that need a lot of "attack" and is a bit harsh for As Tears Go By. Very far from a trainwreck but not as good as I hoped it might be - and Mick didn't seem really comfortable with his singing either.

As for Keith sitting down - they sat down to play the acoustics for Lady Jane last year, and I think Keith also sat to play ATGB when they did it in Italy on the Bigger Bang tour.

He was sitting down on the acoustic numbers for the club shows in 1995 as well.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:50

OK, it's fine either way, it just reminded of Mick's comment at the Trabendo!

Madcap

Interesting, Rose spilled the beans to her friends then ;-) Were they just talking among themselves or did you ask them once you found out they knew Chuck?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:04

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Another morning to check out what happened in the US previous night. But to follow the tour from the point of view of internet is a bit selective and random-like... So as usual, most of it just to check three things: (a) How much Taylor; (b) other guests; (c) any surprises in set list.

So, nice to see we got Taylor in "Sway" again. Looking for an evidence now...

Seemingly the guest last night caused some controversy here. I don't know who she is, I guess a hot pop star of the day, who have sold lot of albums in America, and there she was (to quote Dean Martin loosely). Surely it was a good move economically, taking the all sides involved (The Stones, AEG, and her - whose name just escaped my mind), but I am bit skeptical if the way to be "contemporary" - as mr. M indicated - is to take a current hit-maker to perform with them, and doing some 50 years old song of theirs... But personally I like their habit of to pick some current names to ice the cake, and make individual shows more expectional and unique - there aren't many surprises otherwise (minus the "other" Taylor - there was a Rolling Stone name in her name, right?tongue sticking out smiley)

But that aside. if I may just to talk about the performance. From the base of that clip, I think it was a nice version. I especially liked Jagger's introduction, and a a gentleman like refrernce to her old muse. And as a singer, Mick is incredibly skilled these days to do ballads (which he don't do very often unfortunately). Reaching the right notes, with a right interpretation, sounds almost unbelievable, taking the fact that he is not a young dude either. He is actually better in that than he was in his twenties and thirties. The girl did her thing nicely as well, and she seemingly inspired Jagger. What is phenomenal with Jagger that he seeminlgly approaches his young guests as a challange, and makes sure that he never is left to play with the second fiddle. He could take the role of "hey. aren't you lucky to perform with me, and showing me respect, and let me just enjoy your admiration", but that's not Jagger, because... he is Mick Jagger!grinning smiley

The rest guys did okay - there is always something sentimental going on when Keith Richards sits down and just play the acoustics with his idiosyncratic touch, which is marinated by the years and years experience. The same as with "Lady Jane" last year. The point of him being sloppy etc. do not have any meaning in that context - besides, he did a nice job.

Taking altogether, I think the version of "As Tears Go By" showed a nice warm touch of matured nostalgia.

But let me repeat my original point - this it is how it looks like thousands miles away, and via net - for the people who actually were there, it was another animal altogether I am sure.

- Doxa

thumbs up

PS: You've never heard of Taylor Swift?? My 11 year old daughter plays her all day long. "Why is she singing with those old geezers, daddy?", she asked me yesterday grinning smiley

thumbs up

I'll admit Taylor Swift was the first 'guest' I was openly skeptical about but I think the clip is great and song choice excellent.

For those goobers talking about her 'screetching'...I think they'll say anything to try to make a point.

Date: June 4, 2013 16:08

<I think they'll say anything to try to make a point.>

thumbs up

Date: June 4, 2013 16:13

" As For those goobers talking about her 'screetching'...I think they'll say anything to try to make a point."

Dude, when you learn to spell "screeching," I'll listen to you.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:18

gotdablouse
OK, it's fine either way, it just reminded of Mick's comment at the Trabendo!

Madcap

Interesting, Rose spilled the beans to her friends then ;-) Were they just talking among themselves or did you ask them once you found out they knew Chuck?

They were talking to their neighbors and I was eavesdropping haha.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:30

Well done! Now it will be Chuck's fault (as usual) if things don't go to plan!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:31

i love the sound of that 12 string.

Taylor Swift did pretty good.

a safe choice all around, but that guitar sounds magnificent..

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:37

Definitely awkward. A minuet, yes, D and G!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: ROPENI ()

Of all the great guests they could have in Chicago of all places,the best they could do was Taylor Swift????...Vegas all the way...confused smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: beachbreak ()

Keith was sitting down playing the acoustic on Street fighting Man going back to the Stripped shows. You can see it on youtube and it is my favorite version along with the ya-yas one.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:39

Wasn't Taylor Swift in the crowd at the Echoplex?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:45

FWIW-
Just saw a clip of Swift and Jagger's duet on "CBS this morning", a national broadcast.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home