Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20
Re: Chicago-3 June 3 Stones show live updates
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:00

Posted by: CMH516 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:12

She looks a bit like Chrissie Shrimpton in that photo.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:23

duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom
Guarantee no one will know who Taylor Swift was in 5 years. I've seen better duets on High School stages.

Really? She's an extremely successful international superstar. She writes her own material and she's very wealthy and runs her own corporation at an extremely young age. Much younger than the Stones were. She's not my cup of tea but maybe you're right, no one will know who Taylor Swift WAS in 5 years. Of course they'll be quite aware of who she IS.

right on 24FPS she's already a veteran performer and has structured her performances to give maximum entertainment..really think her staging is good, i've seen her live dvd...my daughter is a fan, she's 12...

she'll be around for awhile. she might not be the greatest singer but she goes out of her way for her fans..
Her fans will grow up, she is as disposable as Debbie Gibson or Irene Cara.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 19:25 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:31

Max'sKansasCity
I wonder if Mick goes around humming, singing under his breath, "Lets give them something to talk about" right before he picks the guest artist du jour? winking smiley

Anyone remember the TV documentary,when Mick says he walks around his gardens in South of France singing ''Brown Sugar'' to himself.

He said he just likes the song. smoking smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 19:34

crawdaddy
Max'sKansasCity
I wonder if Mick goes around humming, singing under his breath, "Lets give them something to talk about" right before he picks the guest artist du jour? winking smiley

Anyone remember the TV documentary,when Mick says he walks around his gardens in South of France singing ''Brown Sugar'' to himself.

He said he just likes the song. smoking smiley
Yes he sings and quotes his songs all the time, like John Lennon. Once woke me by singing JJF and doing a little dance.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:38

DoomandGloom
duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom
Guarantee no one will know who Taylor Swift was in 5 years. I've seen better duets on High School stages.

Really? She's an extremely successful international superstar. She writes her own material and she's very wealthy and runs her own corporation at an extremely young age. Much younger than the Stones were. She's not my cup of tea but maybe you're right, no one will know who Taylor Swift WAS in 5 years. Of course they'll be quite aware of who she IS.

right on 24FPS she's already a veteran performer and has structured her performances to give maximum entertainment..really think her staging is good, i've seen her live dvd...my daughter is a fan, she's 12...

she'll be around for awhile. she might not be the greatest singer but she goes out of her way for her fans..

not really the same, either one ..

aren't you forgetting LuLu too?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:44

duke richardson
DoomandGloom
duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom

hey, you leave Lulu alone! to sir with love is one of the great songs ever. EVER.

Date: June 4, 2013 19:45

duke richardson
DoomandGloom
duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom

Both songwriters and were mega stars for teens. Debbie Gibson was a bigger star than Swift and set fashion styles. LuLu is timeless, never forgotten. Look at Faith Hill, more beautiful, better voice, no one cares because she's run her course..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 19:51 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:54

DoomandGloom
duke richardson
DoomandGloom
duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom

Both songwriters and were mega stars for teens. Debbie Gibson was a bigger star than Swift and set fashion styles. LuLu is timeless, never forgotten. Look at Faith Hill, more beautiful, better voice, no one cares because she's run her course..

i like LuLu..

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 4, 2013 20:04

DoomandGloom
duke richardson
DoomandGloom
duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom

I simply can't watch Sunday Night Football without a little Faith Hill...

...you know who ran her course (and damn fast too) was Gretchen Wilson...maybe she's the next guest...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 4, 2013 20:11

Id like some Faith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 20:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 4, 2013 20:52

I watched the clip. I have no doubt that she is a very talented songwriter, but she hasn't got much of a voice - at least Christina, Gaga, Mary J Blige and the like have got real pipes. She sounds like someone in a karaoke bar.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 4, 2013 21:00

gotdablouse
Well at least he's not a dead bluesman!

Reminds me of when Mick said at the Trabendo "You'd think that some of us whould be sitting now, but we're not"...yes I know it's an acoustic song but had the guitar players been seated on stage before?

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: June 4, 2013 21:07

bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

Yummy comes to mind. Methinks Mick's got the fingers a wee bit close to the fruits. He must like the feel of a tall, confident, oh so young and supple thing like the Swizzle.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 4, 2013 21:21

She looks like she's 14. She writes songs like she's still 14, too. Jimmy Savile would have loved her, even if she is legal.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 4, 2013 21:40

marianna
She looks like she's 14. She writes songs like she's still 14, too. Jimmy Savile would have loved her, even if she is legal.

?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 4, 2013 21:50

Reading all the Taylor Swift hate here, it took up probably 80% of the posts here before, during and well after the show.

I've always knows that there's a great deal of old, crumpy, misogynists that post here. And predictably, a lot of this bile sounds like classic, woman-hating nerds venting - just like any other female guest The Stones are rolling out.

Without question, a lot of fans here are clearly on the obsessive-side of things, talking Stones fandom to an unhealthy level not unlike extreme Star Trek geeks. To all of you haters - who make it embarrassing for me to be a Stones Fan by association - I'll say this.

It's not Taylor Swift's fault that your mother was over-bearing and/or you didn't get laid in high school.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 4, 2013 22:00

jamesfdouglas
Reading all the Taylor Swift hate here, it took up probably 80% of the posts here before, during and well after the show.

I've always knows that there's a great deal of old, crumpy, misogynists that post here. And predictably, a lot of this bile sounds like classic, woman-hating nerds venting - just like any other female guest The Stones are rolling out.

Without question, a lot of fans here are clearly on the obsessive-side of things, talking Stones fandom to an unhealthy level not unlike extreme Star Trek geeks. To all of you haters - who make it embarrassing for me to be a Stones Fan by association - I'll say this.

It's not Taylor Swift's fault that your mother was over-bearing and/or you didn't get laid in high school.

Yeah the misogyny on this thread was embarrassing for all involved. Green Lady got her comments about "yeah, but her ASS" exactly right, too. Well said man. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:01

projecting?

I just prefer to hear musicians make music. she is no musician.

Posted by: chianon ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:03

"There's big money now, really big money. The bigger the money, the more conservative, that's a law ... the more money involved in something, the more conservative and more careful people are, about who they hedge their bets on. They try and make something with some surface glamour and gloss on it, but the substance tends to go. And that's really where we're sittin' right now, a battle between substance and gloss." - Keith, 89

Keith Interview

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:03

thanks. bad news. sorry you were shut out

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:07

jamesfdouglas

True but you can't be surprised. The singer of the band has the same problem.
So you would expect him to attract fans of the same ilk.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:16

I'm not sure why some people pull the misogyny/sexism card in regards to TS critics, and oddly enough, the people doing that tend to be men. I think if you ask most women, they'd say that it's misogyny/sexism that a person like Taylor Swift is such a huge success when more talented women in the music business haven't done as well as she has. It could be those women in music haven't done as well because they're not as cute as Taylor. There are men in music who don't do as well as Justin Bieber because they don't look like Justin Bieber. However, it seems to be okay for men to say Justin Bieber would be a bad choice for a duet partner. Maybe they're just jealous of Beebs' cute face.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:20

His Majesty
gotdablouse
Well at least he's not a dead bluesman!

Reminds me of when Mick said at the Trabendo "You'd think that some of us whould be sitting now, but we're not"...yes I know it's an acoustic song but had the guitar players been seated on stage before?

Great pics, Majesty!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:21

marianna
I'm not sure why some people pull the misogyny/sexism card in regards to TS critics, and oddly enough, the people doing that tend to be men. I think if you ask most women, they'd say that it's misogyny/sexism that a person like Taylor Swift is such a huge success when more talented women in the music business haven't done as well as she has. It could be those women in music haven't done as well because they're not as cute as Taylor. There are men in music who don't do as well as Justin Bieber because they don't look like Justin Bieber. However, it seems to be okay for men to say Justin Bieber would be a bad choice for a duet partner. Maybe they're just jealous of Beebs' cute face.

Maybe people prefer that the stones not have guests at all but if they do the guests have some sort of connection to the music being played.
For example I think Adele would be an awesome choice if they insist on having guests. Her music is much more closely related (lots of soul, blues, gospel influence) and her voice would be very well suited to the stones.

Date: June 4, 2013 22:22

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Another morning to check out what happened in the US previous night. But to follow the tour from the point of view of internet is a bit selective and random-like... So as usual, most of it just to check three things: (a) How much Taylor; (b) other guests; (c) any surprises in set list.

So, nice to see we got Taylor in "Sway" again. Looking for an evidence now...

Seemingly the guest last night caused some controversy here. I don't know who she is, I guess a hot pop star of the day, who have sold lot of albums in America, and there she was (to quote Dean Martin loosely). Surely it was a good move economically, taking the all sides involved (The Stones, AEG, and her - whose name just escaped my mind), but I am bit skeptical if the way to be "contemporary" - as mr. M indicated - is to take a current hit-maker to perform with them, and doing some 50 years old song of theirs... But personally I like their habit of to pick some current names to ice the cake, and make individual shows more expectional and unique - there aren't many surprises otherwise (minus the "other" Taylor - there was a Rolling Stone name in her name, right?tongue sticking out smiley)

But that aside. if I may just to talk about the performance. From the base of that clip, I think it was a nice version. I especially liked Jagger's introduction, and a a gentleman like refrernce to her old muse. And as a singer, Mick is incredibly skilled these days to do ballads (which he don't do very often unfortunately). Reaching the right notes, with a right interpretation, sounds almost unbelievable, taking the fact that he is not a young dude either. He is actually better in that than he was in his twenties and thirties. The girl did her thing nicely as well, and she seemingly inspired Jagger. What is phenomenal with Jagger that he seeminlgly approaches his young guests as a challange, and makes sure that he never is left to play with the second fiddle. He could take the role of "hey. aren't you lucky to perform with me, and showing me respect, and let me just enjoy your admiration", but that's not Jagger, because... he is Mick Jagger!grinning smiley

The rest guys did okay - there is always something sentimental going on when Keith Richards sits down and just play the acoustics with his idiosyncratic touch, which is marinated by the years and years experience. The same as with "Lady Jane" last year. The point of him being sloppy etc. do not have any meaning in that context - besides, he did a nice job.

Taking altogether, I think the version of "As Tears Go By" showed a nice warm touch of matured nostalgia.

But let me repeat my original point - this it is how it looks like thousands miles away, and via net - for the people who actually were there, it was another animal altogether I am sure.

- Doxa

thumbs up

PS: You've never heard of Taylor Swift?? My 11 year old daughter plays her all day long. "Why is she singing with those old geezers, daddy?", she asked me yesterday grinning smiley

thumbs up

I'll admit Taylor Swift was the first 'guest' I was openly skeptical about but I think the clip is great and song choice excellent.

For those goobers talking about her 'screetching'...I think they'll say anything to try to make a point.

Agreed--it's like they went in to watching the video of "ATGB" wanting to hate it and their bias was a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't personally care for Swift's actual SONGS any more than John Mayer's, but you know what? Those two had one thing in common as for being guests on this current tour: they were two of the BEST guests, two that fit the most, and again, I don't care for EITHER of their songs outside the band. That said, Mayer ripped it UP on "Going Down," "Respectable" and "Champagne And Reefer" and Swift sang QUITE beautifully on "ATGB." For other (old) grumpy posters to grumble that she sounded "worse than some high school talent shows" is completely baseless in actual reality. Sorry guys, bitter though you are, YOU'RE WRONG. If we're going purely based on quality of voice, singing in key, and phrasing, she did this song justice, didn't upstage Mick in her performance thereof, and sang it with dignity and panache. Know what? I can't stand (really don't care for!) Lady GaGa either but her vocals on "Gimme Shelter" were actually really awesome, and the Bowie-esque outfit and antics were a nice touch, too. Just because I don't like some modern popsters doesn't mean they won't end up fitting a tune. And I genuinely disliked Perry on "Burden" and Stefani on "Horses," they both were awkward and didn't fit, so don't try to weakly come back with "you'll like anything the Stones do." False. As Elvis Costello once said, Get Happy!!

Date: June 4, 2013 22:23

Looks can sure help make or break an artist. The stones accepted Andrew's idea of ditching Ian Stewart because he didn't look right. Shallow bastards.

Bieber is a bad pairing on paper, just like Swift was, but it worked onstage and so might Bieber. eye popping smiley

I kinda hope they do end up with Bieber onstage if for nothing else than to just wind people up. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 22:28 by His Majesty.

Date: June 4, 2013 22:31

His Majesty
Looks can sure help make or break an artist. The stones accepted Andrew's idea of ditching Ian Stewart because he didn't look right. Shallow bastards.

Bieber is a bad pairing on paper, just like Swift was, but it worked onstage and so might Bieber. eye popping smiley

I kinda hope they do end up with Bieber onstage if for nothing else than to just wind people up. grinning smiley

They probably would have if he wasn't on tour...

Date: June 4, 2013 22:33

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

They probably would have if he wasn't on tour...

Bummer. Ok, maybe they can have him onstage in Europe! grinning smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 22:34

grinning smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home