Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20
Re: Chicago-3 June 3 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2013 12:04

"Why is that dude always getting the best chicks? And I'm here, once again, playing the second fiddle. Damn, there will be LIFE PART TWO..."

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 12:04 by Doxa.

Date: June 5, 2013 12:06

grinning smiley

or:

"Why did I mention that Mick had a "Peter Pan-complex" in that interview. Maybe he would have come to his senses by now if I hadn't"...

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 12:25

keith in punishment? never read anything more stupid ..... Keith broke the balls of these Stones!Go Winos Go!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: June 5, 2013 12:35

Charlie Watts is too cool for Twitter

[twitter.com]

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: June 5, 2013 14:22

Bliss
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
sanQ
Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity
AWESOME shot of Keith... Lookin like a True Blues Man

it seems a little bit tired...

I don't think he's too impressed with having to share a stage with TS. I wouldn't be impressed either. This must be part of his punishment for the revelations in "Life". 30 years ago he would have protested loudly at having to feature such "artists" as this. If he didn't like Prince, which seems odd since he opened shows for the Stones, he sure as heck doesn't care for these glorified karaoke singers with mediocre talent. Maybe as people he can respect them, but not as real musicians with anything remotely in common musically imho.

He looks a bit skeptical, but he is smiling later on smiling smiley

We really need to do a caption contest for this classic photo.

Here's one - "Karma's a bitch."

That might be the winner. Perfect. LOL big time.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2013 14:55

MrMonte
Bliss
Bliss
DandelionPowderman
sanQ
Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity
AWESOME shot of Keith... Lookin like a True Blues Man

it seems a little bit tired...

I don't think he's too impressed with having to share a stage with TS. I wouldn't be impressed either. This must be part of his punishment for the revelations in "Life". 30 years ago he would have protested loudly at having to feature such "artists" as this. If he didn't like Prince, which seems odd since he opened shows for the Stones, he sure as heck doesn't care for these glorified karaoke singers with mediocre talent. Maybe as people he can respect them, but not as real musicians with anything remotely in common musically imho.

He looks a bit skeptical, but he is smiling later on smiling smiley

We really need to do a caption contest for this classic photo.

Here's one - "Karma's a bitch."

That might be the winner. Perfect. LOL big time.

grinning smiley Good one Bliss

I'd say: "my book didn't work"

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:09

Overall I thought this show was great considering the few glitches like Keiths guitar going out on HTW and the lost cords on IORR.
I think Mick wanted to reach down and grab a handful of Taylor Swifts ass at least he had that look on his face. I think everyone but Charlie wanted a handful.
Both Keith and Mick looked tired. Not sure if they are tired from lack of sleep or tired of being on the road but they definitely look worn down.
On another note, I dont keep much stuff from radio station giveaways outside of arenas but I got a cool calendar from 97.1 the drive FM which has a bunch of cool poster reprints including a Stones one from the Bill Graham library.
For those of you hoping for $85 tickets the box office told me that 1% to 5% of $85 tickets are for the pit and AT LEAST 60% are obstructed or limited view. Not sure if this is true of all arena's but it seems to be the case in the shows I have been to so far.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:13

Christopher
For those of you hoping for $85 tickets the box office told me that 1% to 5% of $85 tickets are for the pit and AT LEAST 60% are obstructed or limited view. Not sure if this is true of all arena's but it seems to be the case in the shows I have been to so far.

i was told that roughly 10% of them are for seats at the nearby McDonald's....great sightlines for the playplace...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:21

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:24

DoomandGloom
batcave
DoomandGloom
Both songwriters and were mega stars for teens. Debbie Gibson was a bigger star than Swift and set fashion styles. LuLu is timeless, never forgotten. Look at Faith Hill, more beautiful, better voice, no one cares because she's run her course..

Debbie Gibson was not even close to being a bigger star than Taylor Swift. Swift sells out multiple nights in football stadiums, something that Gibson couldn't even dream of doing....
Out Of The Blue was established as a hit album and she had success in the UK and southeast Asia, filling stadiums with her Out Of The Blue tour. By the end of 1988, Out of the Blue had gone triple platinum.[7] The Out Of The Blue music video compilation was certified platinum by the RIAA; the concert tour video was certified 2x platinum. In October 1988, Gibson sang the national anthem for Game One of the Major League Baseball World Series. Electric Youth was released in early 1989, and spent five weeks at #1 on Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart. The first single released, "Lost in Your Eyes", was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, garnering her another achievement as the first female to have both an album and single simultaneously at #1. (She shared the 1989 ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award with Bruce Springsteen.) Subsequent singles from the album were "Electric Youth" (#11), "No More Rhyme" (No. 17), and "We Could Be Together" (No. 71). The Electric Youth album was certified 2x platinum by the RIAA. The successful "Electric Youth" world tour and Live Around the World VHS (2x platinum) followed.[/quote]

Swift moved to Nashville, Tennessee at the age of fourteen to pursue a career in country music. She signed to the independent label Big Machine Records and became the youngest songwriter ever hired by the Sony/ATV Music publishing house. The release of Swift's eponymous debut album in 2006 established her as a country music star. "Our Song", her third single, made her the youngest person to single-handedly write and perform a number one song on the country chart. She received a Best New Artist nomination at the 2008 Grammy Awards.

Swift's second album, Fearless, was released in 2008. Buoyed by the pop crossover success of the singles "Love Story" and "You Belong with Me", Fearless became the best-selling album of 2009 and was supported by an extensive concert tour. The record won four Grammy Awards, with Swift becoming the youngest ever Album of the Year winner. Swift's third album, 2010's Speak Now, sold over one million copies in its first week of US release and was supported by the Speak Now World Tour. The album's third single, "Mean", won two Grammy Awards. Swift's fourth album, Red, was released in 2012. Its opening US sales of 1.2 million were the highest recorded in a decade, with Swift becoming the only female artist to have two million-plus opening weeks. The singles "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "I Knew You Were Trouble" were worldwide hits. The North American leg of Swift's Red Tour will run until September 2013.

Swift is known for her narrative songs about her experiences as a teenager and young adult. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Swift's other achievements include seven Grammy Awards, eleven American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards, twelve Billboard Music Awards and six Academy of Country Music Awards. She has sold over 26 million albums and 75 million digital downloads worldwide.

She's now about to start the summer part of her tour playing stadiums such as Cowboys Stadium, Gillette Field (2 shows), Lincoln Financial Field in Philly (2 shows), Solider Field, Heinz Field and Metlife Stadium. She's also sold out four nights at the Staples Center in LA.

Swift's work has received praise from veteran artists. Neil Young describes her as "a great writer": "I like Taylor Swift. I like listening to her. I kind of like watching her respond to all the attacks. I like the ways she's defining herself. So I keep my eye on it".

Stephen Stills has defended Swift's confessional writing style: “How many times do people want to make fun of [her] for writing a song about getting dumped? I’m sorry, that’s what you do as a songwriter ... Wear your heart on your sleeve, then just write about it. @#$%& ‘em. If I was young, I would be one of Taylor Swift’s conquests because I would stalk her.”

James Taylor, who has performed with Swift on two occasions, has said that "we just hit it off. I loved her songs, and her presence on stage was so great".

Judy Collins points to Swift as an example of a current star who is continuing on the lineage of being an independent-minded artist. Kris Kristofferson claims that "she blows me away. It's amazing to me that someone so young is writing such great songs. She's got a great career ahead of her".

Janis Ian notes that Swift "changed the face of music, songwriting and guitar playing for girls ... There is an authenticity there."

Stevie Nicks believes Swift writes "songs that make the whole world sing, like Neil Diamond or Elton John ... It's women like her who are going to save the music business". She remarked that the younger singer's "Today Was A Fairytale" has "stayed in my heart forever. And it just reminds me of me in a lot of ways."

Steven Tyler of Aerosmith believes she is "beyond talented".

Jon Bon Jovi describes her as "the real deal in every way, shape and form. She's a writer, she's a singer, she's a beautiful girl ... Like, she's going to be around."

Dolly Parton is "extremely impressed with her, especially with her songwriting .... I'm real impressed with the depth of her sometimes. She's got the qualities that could last a long time".

Melissa Etheridge remarks: "I love her soul, her spirit. I think she’s going to surprise people and I think she’s going to be around for a long time."

Ryan Adams has said that "every tune of hers is like the one you wait a whole lifetime to write".

Sorry, but Swift blows away Gibson in every category when it comes to who was the bigger star....

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 5, 2013 18:35

That's some Wikipedic kind of knowledge right there.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:15

bye bye johnny
That's some Wikipedic kind of knowledge right there.
grinning smiley Yup...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:03

James Taylor, Judy Collins, Kris Kristofferson, Stevie Nicks, Jon Bon Jovi, Melissa Etheridge, Ryan Adams... Am I the only one who doesn't care about any of these musicians or their opinions?? Dolly Parton and Steven Tyler are the flukes in these quotes.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 5, 2013 21:19

flacnvinyl
James Taylor, Judy Collins, Kris Kristofferson, Stevie Nicks, Jon Bon Jovi, Melissa Etheridge, Ryan Adams... Am I the only one who doesn't care about any of these musicians or their opinions?? Dolly Parton and Steven Tyler are the flukes in these quotes.

do you care about mick jagger and his opinion?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 5, 2013 22:08

I'm wondering if we could lobby for BV to put up the LIVE UPDATES FROM TORONTO 2 thread?

I'm feeling chatty.

Date: June 5, 2013 23:04

I love how they do emotional rescue and six days on the road was great. I met taj in person once and that is one tall dude.

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: June 5, 2013 23:13

flacnvinyl

Ryan Adams has released many fine albums, and is a very well respected songwriter.

Also Kris K ... if he's good enough for Waylon, Willie and Johnny Cash, and various halls of fame, then that's saying something.

Neil Young is in there as well. He is my musical hero, but his comment strikes me as strange ... I really doubt he has listened to Taylor Swift much at all.

Posted by: william060190 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 23:42

kowalski
The video everyone was waiting for...

It reminds me the sinking of a boat on Lake Victoria, many years ago ... The noise was the same. Many victims...

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 5, 2013 23:48

Kris Kristofferson is a godamn legend -- helicopter pilot, singer, songwriter, actor, Rhodes Scholar -- one talented dude.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:16

batcave
DoomandGloom
batcave
DoomandGloom
Both songwriters and were mega stars for teens. Debbie Gibson was a bigger star than Swift and set fashion styles. LuLu is timeless, never forgotten. Look at Faith Hill, more beautiful, better voice, no one cares because she's run her course..

Debbie Gibson was not even close to being a bigger star than Taylor Swift. Swift sells out multiple nights in football stadiums, something that Gibson couldn't even dream of doing....
Out Of The Blue was established as a hit album and she had success in the UK and southeast Asia, filling stadiums with her Out Of The Blue tour. By the end of 1988, Out of the Blue had gone triple platinum.[7] The Out Of The Blue music video compilation was certified platinum by the RIAA; the concert tour video was certified 2x platinum. In October 1988, Gibson sang the national anthem for Game One of the Major League Baseball World Series. Electric Youth was released in early 1989, and spent five weeks at #1 on Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart. The first single released, "Lost in Your Eyes", was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, garnering her another achievement as the first female to have both an album and single simultaneously at #1. (She shared the 1989 ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award with Bruce Springsteen.) Subsequent singles from the album were "Electric Youth" (#11), "No More Rhyme" (No. 17), and "We Could Be Together" (No. 71). The Electric Youth album was certified 2x platinum by the RIAA. The successful "Electric Youth" world tour and Live Around the World VHS (2x platinum) followed.

Swift moved to Nashville, Tennessee at the age of fourteen to pursue a career in country music. She signed to the independent label Big Machine Records and became the youngest songwriter ever hired by the Sony/ATV Music publishing house. The release of Swift's eponymous debut album in 2006 established her as a country music star. "Our Song", her third single, made her the youngest person to single-handedly write and perform a number one song on the country chart. She received a Best New Artist nomination at the 2008 Grammy Awards.

Swift's second album, Fearless, was released in 2008. Buoyed by the pop crossover success of the singles "Love Story" and "You Belong with Me", Fearless became the best-selling album of 2009 and was supported by an extensive concert tour. The record won four Grammy Awards, with Swift becoming the youngest ever Album of the Year winner. Swift's third album, 2010's Speak Now, sold over one million copies in its first week of US release and was supported by the Speak Now World Tour. The album's third single, "Mean", won two Grammy Awards. Swift's fourth album, Red, was released in 2012. Its opening US sales of 1.2 million were the highest recorded in a decade, with Swift becoming the only female artist to have two million-plus opening weeks. The singles "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "I Knew You Were Trouble" were worldwide hits. The North American leg of Swift's Red Tour will run until September 2013.

Swift is known for her narrative songs about her experiences as a teenager and young adult. As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Swift's other achievements include seven Grammy Awards, eleven American Music Awards, seven Country Music Association Awards, twelve Billboard Music Awards and six Academy of Country Music Awards. She has sold over 26 million albums and 75 million digital downloads worldwide.

She's now about to start the summer part of her tour playing stadiums such as Cowboys Stadium, Gillette Field (2 shows), Lincoln Financial Field in Philly (2 shows), Solider Field, Heinz Field and Metlife Stadium. She's also sold out four nights at the Staples Center in LA.

Swift's work has received praise from veteran artists. Neil Young describes her as "a great writer": "I like Taylor Swift. I like listening to her. I kind of like watching her respond to all the attacks. I like the ways she's defining herself. So I keep my eye on it".

Stephen Stills has defended Swift's confessional writing style: “How many times do people want to make fun of [her] for writing a song about getting dumped? I’m sorry, that’s what you do as a songwriter ... Wear your heart on your sleeve, then just write about it. @#$%& ‘em. If I was young, I would be one of Taylor Swift’s conquests because I would stalk her.”

James Taylor, who has performed with Swift on two occasions, has said that "we just hit it off. I loved her songs, and her presence on stage was so great".

Judy Collins points to Swift as an example of a current star who is continuing on the lineage of being an independent-minded artist. Kris Kristofferson claims that "she blows me away. It's amazing to me that someone so young is writing such great songs. She's got a great career ahead of her".

Janis Ian notes that Swift "changed the face of music, songwriting and guitar playing for girls ... There is an authenticity there."

Stevie Nicks believes Swift writes "songs that make the whole world sing, like Neil Diamond or Elton John ... It's women like her who are going to save the music business". She remarked that the younger singer's "Today Was A Fairytale" has "stayed in my heart forever. And it just reminds me of me in a lot of ways."

Jon Bon Jovi describes her as "the real deal in every way, shape and form. She's a writer, she's a singer, she's a beautiful girl ... Like, she's going to be around."

Dolly Parton is "extremely impressed with her, especially with her songwriting .... I'm real impressed with the depth of her sometimes. She's got the qualities that could last a long time".

Melissa Etheridge remarks: "I love her soul, her spirit. I think she’s going to surprise people and I think she’s going to be around for a long time."

Ryan Adams has said that "every tune of hers is like the one you wait a whole lifetime to write".

Sorry, but Swift blows away Gibson in every category when it comes to who was the bigger star....[/quote] That's allot of research for a teenybopper that has little to say besides getting dumped. She has a very good publicist getting all these quotes. Steven Stills can hardly stand up, I seriously doubt he spends his drinking time listening to Swift....

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:38

How do you find out all of this information about Taylor Swift?

Wow, with all those accolades, I am going to stop listening to The Rolling Stones and Neil Young or Bob Dylan and start listening to Tay-Tay. lol

Whoever said Tay-Tay on here, Tay-Tay is so gay. lol

What was even funnier was the reaction that the initial tay-tay got. hahaha

Ok everyone, we have to stop following the Stones and start listening to everything Tay-Tay. We also have to dream about getting throat cancer from Tay-tay.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 6, 2013 00:44

DoomandGloom
batcave
DoomandGloom
batcave
DoomandGloom

Out Of The Blue was established as a hit album and she had success in the UK and southeast Asia, filling stadiums with her Out Of The Blue tour. By the end of 1988, Out of the Blue had gone triple platinum.[7] The Out Of The Blue music video compilation was certified platinum by the RIAA; the concert tour video was certified 2x platinum. In October 1988, Gibson sang the national anthem for Game One of the Major League Baseball World Series. Electric Youth was released in early 1989, and spent five weeks at #1 on Billboard's Top 200 Album Chart. The first single released, "Lost in Your Eyes", was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, garnering her another achievement as the first female to have both an album and single simultaneously at #1. (She shared the 1989 ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award with Bruce Springsteen.) Subsequent singles from the album were "Electric Youth" (#11), "No More Rhyme" (No. 17), and "We Could Be Together" (No. 71). The Electric Youth album was certified 2x platinum by the RIAA. The successful "Electric Youth" world tour and Live Around the World VHS (2x platinum) followed.

Sorry, but Swift blows away Gibson in every category when it comes to who was the bigger star....
That's allot of research for a teenybopper that has little to say besides getting dumped. She has a very good publicist getting all these quotes. Steven Stills can hardly stand up, I seriously doubt he spends his drinking time listening to Swift....[/quote]

Wow, sounds like a real American sweetheart.

- Doxa

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:04

flacnvinyl
James Taylor, Judy Collins, Kris Kristofferson, Stevie Nicks, Jon Bon Jovi, Melissa Etheridge, Ryan Adams... Am I the only one who doesn't care about any of these musicians or their opinions??

Most of that batch, no. But I give some weight to Kristofferson. Even James Taylor. I give their remarks weight because they know songwriting. And of course Neil Young is a given. I haven't heard anything of Taylor Swift, until As Tears Go By the other night. But if some DJ says, "and here's Taylor Swift", I'll be less inclined to immediately turn it off if Neil, Stephen Stills, Kristofferson and Taylor have complimented her.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 6, 2013 01:34

bye bye johnny

@ronniewood

Those Rolling Stones show no signs of any anxiety about Taylor joining them onstage.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 6, 2013 02:09

His Majesty
bye bye johnny

@ronniewood

Those Rolling Stones show no signs of any anxiety about Taylor joining them onstage.

They're doing as their told...or Mick will storm off and suck his thumb...

Date: June 6, 2013 05:58

claudine
Charlie Watts is too cool for Twitter

[twitter.com]
I can' believe I got in a discussion as to who's better Taylor Swift or Debbie Gibson... Charlie is really having a good time. I'm beginning to think it's him who picks the female guests...Ahhh to be Charlie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 06:01 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 6, 2013 06:08

Munichhilton
His Majesty
bye bye johnny

@ronniewood

They're doing as their told...or Mick will storm off and suck his thumb...

Taylor Swift is a GIANT in music!!

She's taller than the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 06:15

So Neil and Stephen Stills agree on something.......and it's Taylor Swift???

Date: June 6, 2013 06:24

smiling bouncing smiley Obvious all have the same people working for them. I mean Steven Stills, someone in his own world even more than Keef...

Date: June 6, 2013 06:55

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Another morning to check out what happened in the US previous night. But to follow the tour from the point of view of internet is a bit selective and random-like... So as usual, most of it just to check three things: (a) How much Taylor; (b) other guests; (c) any surprises in set list.

So, nice to see we got Taylor in "Sway" again. Looking for an evidence now...

Seemingly the guest last night caused some controversy here. I don't know who she is, I guess a hot pop star of the day, who have sold lot of albums in America, and there she was (to quote Dean Martin loosely). Surely it was a good move economically, taking the all sides involved (The Stones, AEG, and her - whose name just escaped my mind), but I am bit skeptical if the way to be "contemporary" - as mr. M indicated - is to take a current hit-maker to perform with them, and doing some 50 years old song of theirs... But personally I like their habit of to pick some current names to ice the cake, and make individual shows more expectional and unique - there aren't many surprises otherwise (minus the "other" Taylor - there was a Rolling Stone name in her name, right?tongue sticking out smiley)

But that aside. if I may just to talk about the performance. From the base of that clip, I think it was a nice version. I especially liked Jagger's introduction, and a a gentleman like refrernce to her old muse. And as a singer, Mick is incredibly skilled these days to do ballads (which he don't do very often unfortunately). Reaching the right notes, with a right interpretation, sounds almost unbelievable, taking the fact that he is not a young dude either. He is actually better in that than he was in his twenties and thirties. The girl did her thing nicely as well, and she seemingly inspired Jagger. What is phenomenal with Jagger that he seeminlgly approaches his young guests as a challange, and makes sure that he never is left to play with the second fiddle. He could take the role of "hey. aren't you lucky to perform with me, and showing me respect, and let me just enjoy your admiration", but that's not Jagger, because... he is Mick Jagger!grinning smiley

The rest guys did okay - there is always something sentimental going on when Keith Richards sits down and just play the acoustics with his idiosyncratic touch, which is marinated by the years and years experience. The same as with "Lady Jane" last year. The point of him being sloppy etc. do not have any meaning in that context - besides, he did a nice job.

Taking altogether, I think the version of "As Tears Go By" showed a nice warm touch of matured nostalgia.

But let me repeat my original point - this it is how it looks like thousands miles away, and via net - for the people who actually were there, it was another animal altogether I am sure.

- Doxa

thumbs up

PS: You've never heard of Taylor Swift?? My 11 year old daughter plays her all day long. "Why is she singing with those old geezers, daddy?", she asked me yesterday grinning smiley

thumbs up

I'll admit Taylor Swift was the first 'guest' I was openly skeptical about but I think the clip is great and song choice excellent.

For those goobers talking about her 'screetching'...I think they'll say anything to try to make a point.

Well said, treacle! She wasn't remotely screeching. She turned in a restrained, gorgeous vocal performance and kept to the original melody. That's all we can ask for with a guest; Gwen couldn't even remember the lyrics and Katy Perry sang "Beast" however she felt like it, but neither of those guests really "worked." Taylor Swift (whom I'm not a fan of, yet I retain an open mind!) sounded great on this song.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home