Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20
Re: Chicago-3 June 3 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:51

rollmops
By inviting musical guests from a younger generation and different musical genres(not R&R) than them, the Rolling Stones show that they aren't stuck up in some ideological/musical box. Lots of kids are going to discover who the stones are by watching videos of Swift, Perry, Gaga playing with the veteran rockers. Musically I don't like those new artists but I can see why Mick invites them on stage.
Rock and roll,
Mops

I don't get this. I really don't think that a bunch of 13 year old girls are going to run out and start buying Rolling Stones albums just because one of their fave singers sang one song with them.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:52

His Majesty
kowalski
The video everyone was waiting for...

Sounds lovely!

Great Job. classy

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:56

Although I don't care about the nightly parade of various younger guest stars that mark this tour, I am surprised to hear this...

Their voices actually sound nice together, it's a good song choice for them if only they had rehearsed some harmonizing together, which it doesn't sound like they did. On the first "I sit and watch...", I thought that I heard her initially trying to sing a 3rd-below type harmony part, and then quickly switching to a simple octave line.

This was only okay...
B-

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 4, 2013 16:57

kowalski

I dont know if I like it or not, I probably did... maybe Swift is an aquired taste, but regardless it did make me smile watching Jagger guiding her about as if he was showing off a new debutante or something... anyway... I bet the Taylorites, or is Swiftites, will buy up every copy of this released.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:01

Max'sKansasCity
kowalski

I dont know if I like it or not, I probably did... maybe Swift is an aquired taste, but regardless it did make me smile watching Jagger guiding her about as if he was showing off a new debutante or something... anyway... I bet the Taylorites, or is Swiftites, will buy up every copy of this released.

In this case Taylorites as well as Taylorians hold a neutral position. cool smiley

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:02

Green Lady
kleermaker
His Majesty
kowalski

Sounds lovely!

I love Keith here, Jagger singing rather well. But I don't like the girl's voice: too shrill for the song. And now I want them to perform Blue Turns To Grey and The Singer Not The Song as quickly as possible! No singer guests needed.

Listening to the song I was a bit disappointed - Taylor Swift had done her homework and knew the words and made a decent job of it, but I agree with kleermaker that her voice is too used to singing things that need a lot of "attack" and is a bit harsh for As Tears Go By. Very far from a trainwreck but not as good as I hoped it might be - and Mick didn't seem really comfortable with his singing either.

As for Keith sitting down - they sat down to play the acoustics for Lady Jane last year, and I think Keith also sat to play ATGB when they did it in Italy on the Bigger Bang tour.

He was seated for ATGB in San Francisco as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 17:03 by No Expectations.

kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kowalski

I dont know if I like it or not, I probably did... maybe Swift is an aquired taste, but regardless it did make me smile watching Jagger guiding her about as if he was showing off a new debutante or something... anyway... I bet the Taylorites, or is it Swiftites, will buy up every copy of this released.

In this case Taylorites as well as Taylorians hold a neutral position. cool smiley
grinning smiley

kleermaker
Max'sKansasCity
kowalski

Come on! She's a Taylor after all! thumbs up

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:04

She's not regarded as a gifted vocalist, but as a songwriter, she sure has been more successful than Jagger-Richards have over the last 10 years.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:05

It was lovely - and the perfect song for her. The guest artists as a whole have worked out quite well. I was skeptical about this one but she was just fine and Mick was great with her. I like having one surprise per show.

Date: June 4, 2013 17:11

I wonder if Mick goes around humming, singing under his breath, "Lets give them something to talk about" right before he picks the guest artist du jour? winking smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:20

Roscoe
rollmops
By inviting musical guests from a younger generation and different musical genres(not R&R) than them, the Rolling Stones show that they aren't stuck up in some ideological/musical box. Lots of kids are going to discover who the stones are by watching videos of Swift, Perry, Gaga playing with the veteran rockers. Musically I don't like those new artists but I can see why Mick invites them on stage.
Rock and roll,
Mops

I don't get this. I really don't think that a bunch of 13 year old girls are going to run out and start buying Rolling Stones albums just because one of their fave singers sang one song with them.

13 year old girls don't even know what albums are, let alone how to buy them. enough with the brilliant marketing crapola already.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:25

24FPS
DoomandGloom
Guarantee no one will know who Taylor Swift was in 5 years. I've seen better duets on High School stages.

Really? She's an extremely successful international superstar. She writes her own material and she's very wealthy and runs her own corporation at an extremely young age. Much younger than the Stones were. She's not my cup of tea but maybe you're right, no one will know who Taylor Swift WAS in 5 years. Of course they'll be quite aware of who she IS.

right on 24FPS she's already a veteran performer and has structured her performances to give maximum entertainment..really think her staging is good, i've seen her live dvd...my daughter is a fan, she's 12...

she'll be around for awhile. she might not be the greatest singer but she goes out of her way for her fans..

Date: June 4, 2013 17:25

13 year old girls dont even know what money is... but they have/spend more disposable cash than any other market demographic.... Just ask Keith Partridge.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:26

Max'sKansasCity
13 year old girls dont even know what money is... but they have/spend more disposable cash than any other market demographic.... Just ask Keith Partridge.

But my girls are spending MY disposable cash! I needed that $10...

Date: June 4, 2013 17:27

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity

But my girls are spending MY disposable cash! I needed that $10...

Maybe... but...
Parents Kids just dont undertand...

The Fresh Prince had it backwards.

Date: June 4, 2013 17:31

duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom
Guarantee no one will know who Taylor Swift was in 5 years. I've seen better duets on High School stages.

Really? She's an extremely successful international superstar. She writes her own material and she's very wealthy and runs her own corporation at an extremely young age. Much younger than the Stones were. She's not my cup of tea but maybe you're right, no one will know who Taylor Swift WAS in 5 years. Of course they'll be quite aware of who she IS.

right on 24FPS she's already a veteran performer and has structured her performances to give maximum entertainment..really think her staging is good, i've seen her live dvd...my daughter is a fan, she's 12...

she'll be around for awhile. she might not be the greatest singer but she goes out of her way for her fans..

you've been removed from my xmas card list

Re: attitudes towards younger performers
Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:31

mysticale
Why can't more of us admit that there are artists of each generation that have genius? Do you really believe that the Stones, or the Beatles, or Dylan, or whatever other bands of your youth floated your boat most were unparalleled and will never meet their match? .

They're not of my generation, but the answer is yes. Clearly. They were not and they will not.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:38

Roscoe
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

But a few will learn about the Stones.It's often a slow progress. And in a similar way many young white kids (like me) discovered blues musicians through bands like the Stones. And even if that was a bit different. Whats so bad about some new blood? By 2013 we've seen all those old (Blues) guys more than enough.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:43

StonesTod
duke richardson
24FPS
DoomandGloom

you've been removed from my xmas card list

that was Swift..

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 4, 2013 17:44

gotdablouse
Well at least he's not a dead bluesman!

Reminds me of when Mick said at the Trabendo "You'd think that some of us whould be sitting now, but we're not"...yes I know it's an acoustic song but had the guitar players been seated on stage before?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 4, 2013 18:00

Yeah, on a few occasions. Prodigal son, Sweet Virginia . .

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 4, 2013 18:07

You can't beat John Paul Jones amazing seated triple next acoustic prowess...people came from miles around...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 18:08

StonesTod
Roscoe
rollmops
Rock and roll,
Mops

13 year old girls don't even know what albums are, let alone how to buy them. enough with the brilliant marketing crapola already.

When I was looking for a YouTube clip of the atgb performance I wound up somehow on the thread on the Taylor swift forum about her appearance with the stones. There were 18 posts. Every single one was about the outfit she was wearing. Not one about the song, or mick, or the stones. It was as though they didn't exist. They were discussing what event she had worn the outfit at before.

Date: June 4, 2013 18:19

gotdablouse

Reminds me of when Mick said at the Trabendo "You'd think that some of us whould be sitting now, but we're not"...yes I know it's an acoustic song but had the guitar players been seated on stage before?

every single night on the 69 tour (not sure if the photo below is of that or a different tour though).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 18:21 by sonomastone.

Date: June 4, 2013 18:21

i don't understand with all the millions they are raking in why they can't afford a folding chair for keith and MT...or even a nice barcalounger. this sitting on charlie's riser is just sad. and i'm sure charlie is getting sick of it, too.

Date: June 4, 2013 18:22

StonesTod
i don't understand with all the millions they are raking in why they can't afford a folding chair for keith and MT...or even a nice barcalounger. this sitting on charlie's riser is just sad. and i'm sure charlie is getting sick of it, too.

gotta pay the guest's performance fees somehow...

Date: June 4, 2013 18:26

sonomastone
StonesTod

gotta pay the guest's performance fees somehow...

i feel like george costanza and the department store guard who was forced to stand all day. i feel for keith and MT....really FEEL for them...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 4, 2013 18:30

sonomastone
gotdablouse

every single night on the 69 tour (not sure if the photo below is of that or a different tour though).

It's the 72 tour, Sweet Virginia.

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:00

Somebody wrote: By 2013 we've seen all those old (Blues) guys more than enough.

______

Hate to tell you this but the Blues will be around when YOUR children are your age. Where will Taylor Swift be? She'll be a clue in a crossword puzzle.

The Blues never die.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home