Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20
Re: Chicago-3 June 3 Stones show live updates
Posted by: Jack-flash ()
Date: June 4, 2013 10:17

After watching the video I have to say not bad.
Very surprising song choice. I like that they played at least one "new" song at the every show of this leg and 59 different in ttl (since Oct)

Very decent choice for Taylor Swift, and yes she reminds a lot of the young Marianne.
Still I would have expected a country song as she originally comes out of it.

And as much as it makes for marketing reasons sense to have all those young and trendy artists like Lady gaga, Katy Perry or yesterday Taylor Swift I hope that we will NOT see Justin Bieber on stage with our boys.

Thanks yor all the great shows and keep on rockin' guys

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 10:18

Yes Taylor did alright.
Just as I expected.
Nice girl.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 4, 2013 10:28

Katy Perry and Florence were great; GaGa was good; Swift, aww geez WTF was that?

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: June 4, 2013 10:29

ATGB, I have to say not bad.
Keith did a good job. Mick is fantastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 10:29 by Powerage.

Posted by: Hotstuff ()
Date: June 4, 2013 10:37

Max'sKansasCity
AWESOME shot of Keith... Lookin like a True Blues Man

it seems a little bit tired...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 4, 2013 10:38

Apologies if this was already posted, i missed it if it was.

Satisfaction 6/3/13 Chicago

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 11:06

Mathijs
Britney
sonomastone
Mathijs
That's actually a very fine performance.

Mathijs

It sounded fine to me other than chuck but wasnt the dancing together a little creepy/awkward? Musically it is fine but dang Buddy Guy would have fit in a lot better.
Dunno, somehow I don't see Buddy Guy doin' that dance routine with Mick. But he definitely could have spiced the song up with some tasty blueslicks.

I have never liked Buddy Guy, and I think he and blues in general is just old hat. I like it that the Stones try to stay contemporary.

Mathijs

And what's contemporary?

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 4, 2013 11:27

sonomastone
Cristiano Radtke
Here we can see (or hear) what happened with Keith's guitar in Honky Tonk Women:

What happened? sounded like the sound went out in the solo.

This was supposed to happen with Taylor's guitar, maybe there was some wiring error.winking smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 4, 2013 11:36

Thedole
Three friends of mine attended the show tonight and all three said it was a good show, but they liked Chicago #2 better. As for Taylor Swift, they thought she did as good as any of the other bimbos that Mick has dragged up on the stage, but they all agreed that her bum is the best. They also said that Sheryl Crow was very good on ADTL (Chicago #2) but compared to TS she is a warhorse. It is widely known the Taylor Swift is quite skilled orally and she can sing very well on occasion too. As for Mick Taylor, he was super again tonight. They really need to have MT play on about 10 songs per night. Ronnie & Keith need the help..

smiling smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 11:48

Thanks Thedole. smiling smiley

Wild Slivovitz
Thedole
Three friends of mine attended the show tonight and all three said it was a good show, but they liked Chicago #2 better. As for Taylor Swift, they thought she did as good as any of the other bimbos that Mick has dragged up on the stage, but they all agreed that her bum is the best. They also said that Sheryl Crow was very good on ADTL (Chicago #2) but compared to TS she is a warhorse. It is widely known the Taylor Swift is quite skilled orally and she can sing very well on occasion too. As for Mick Taylor, he was super again tonight. They really need to have MT play on about 10 songs per night. Ronnie & Keith need the help..

smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 4, 2013 12:27

Another morning to check out what happened in the US previous night. But to follow the tour from the point of view of internet is a bit selective and random-like... So as usual, most of it just to check three things: (a) How much Taylor; (b) other guests; (c) any surprises in set list.

So, nice to see we got Taylor in "Sway" again. Looking for an evidence now...

Seemingly the guest last night caused some controversy here. I don't know who she is, I guess a hot pop star of the day, who have sold lot of albums in America, and there she was (to quote Dean Martin loosely). Surely it was a good move economically, taking the all sides involved (The Stones, AEG, and her - whose name just escaped my mind), but I am bit skeptical if the way to be "contemporary" - as mr. M indicated - is to take a current hit-maker to perform with them, and doing some 50 years old song of theirs... But personally I like their habit of to pick some current names to ice the cake, and make individual shows more expectional and unique - there aren't many surprises otherwise (minus the "other" Taylor - there was a Rolling Stone name in her name, right?tongue sticking out smiley)

But that aside. if I may just to talk about the performance. From the base of that clip, I think it was a nice version. I especially liked Jagger's introduction, and a a gentleman like refrernce to her old muse. And as a singer, Mick is incredibly skilled these days to do ballads (which he don't do very often unfortunately). Reaching the right notes, with a right interpretation, sounds almost unbelievable, taking the fact that he is not a young dude either. He is actually better in that than he was in his twenties and thirties. The girl did her thing nicely as well, and she seemingly inspired Jagger. What is phenomenal with Jagger that he seeminlgly approaches his young guests as a challange, and makes sure that he never is left to play with the second fiddle. He could take the role of "hey. aren't you lucky to perform with me, and showing me respect, and let me just enjoy your admiration", but that's not Jagger, because... he is Mick Jagger!grinning smiley

The rest guys did okay - there is always something sentimental going on when Keith Richards sits down and just play the acoustics with his idiosyncratic touch, which is marinated by the years and years experience. The same as with "Lady Jane" last year. The point of him being sloppy etc. do not have any meaning in that context - besides, he did a nice job.

Taking altogether, I think the version of "As Tears Go By" showed a nice warm touch of matured nostalgia.

But let me repeat my original point - this it is how it looks like thousands miles away, and via net - for the people who actually were there, it was another animal altogether I am sure.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 12:30 by Doxa.

Date: June 4, 2013 12:36

Doxa
Another morning to check out what happened in the US previous night. But to follow the tour from the point of view of internet is a bit selective and random-like... So as usual, most of it just to check three things: (a) How much Taylor; (b) other guests; (c) any surprises in set list.

Seemingly the guest last night caused some controversy here. I don't know who she is, I guess a hot pop star of the day, who have sold lot of albums in America, and there she was (to quote Dean Martin loosely). Surely it was a good move economically, taking the all sides involved (The Stones, AEG, and her - whose name just escaped my mind), but I am bit skeptical if the way to be "contemporary" - as mr. M indicated - is to take a current hit-maker to perform with them, and doing some 50 years old song of theirs... But personally I like their habit of to pick some current names to ice the cake, and make individual shows more expectional and unique - there aren't many surprises otherwise (minus the "other" Taylor - there was a Rolling Stone name in her name, right?tongue sticking out smiley)

But that aside. if I may just to talk about the performance. From the base of that clip, I think it was a nice version. I especially liked Jagger's introduction, and a a gentleman like refrernce to her old muse. And as a singer, Mick is incredibly skilled these days to do ballads (which he don't do very often unfortunately). Reaching the right notes, with a right interpretation, sounds almost unbelievable, taking the fact that he is not a young dude either. He is actually better in that than he was in his twenties and thirties. The girl did her thing nicely as well, and she seemingly inspired Jagger. What is phenomenal with Jagger that he seeminlgly approaches his young guests as a challange, and makes sure that he never is left to play with the second fiddle. He could take the role of "hey. aren't you lucky to perform with me, and showing me respect, and let me just enjoy your admiration", but that's not Jagger, because... he is Mick Jagger!grinning smiley

The rest guys did okay - there is always something sentimental going on when Keith Richards sits down and just play the acoustics with his idiosyncratic touch, which is marinated by the years and years experience. The same as with "Lady Jane" last year. The point of him being sloppy etc. do not have any meaning in that context - besides, he did a nice job.

Taking altogether, I think the version of "As Tears Go By" showed a nice warm touch of matured nostalgia.

But let me repeat my original point - this it is how it looks like thousands miles away, and via net - for the people who actually were there, it was another animal altogether I am sure.

- Doxa

thumbs up

PS: You've never heard of Taylor Swift?? My 11 year old daughter plays her all day long. "Why is she singing with those old geezers, daddy?", she asked me yesterday grinning smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 12:38

Doxa

- Doxa

'Nuff said. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 12:38 by rollingon.

Date: June 4, 2013 12:38

Seeing this video (and many others) I appreciate again the fact that the band members are particulary nice and polite with the guitar techs, roadies... Keith here.

This is not always the case ...

Date: June 4, 2013 12:57

DandelionPowderman
PS: You've never heard of Taylor Swift?? My 11 year old daughter plays her all day long. "Why is she singing with those old geezers, daddy?", she asked me yesterday grinning smiley

Well. I guess I 've heard her name, just like so many others', who make hit records today, but not heard anything that would have make musically any impression to get me interested to listen - or to 'know' - more.

I think your daughter has a healthy perspective to the case here, and I think we all followers of this ancient act should listen to her more... there is a lesson there...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 4, 2013 13:02

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Well. I guess I 've heard her name, just like so many others', who make hit records today, but not heard anything that would have make musically any impression to get me interested to listen - or to 'know' - more.

I think your daughter has a healthy perspective to the case here, and I think we all followers of this ancient act should listen to her more... there is a lesson there...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Indeed it is grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:14

I didn't know who Taylor Swift was, but the video uploaded here I found much better than I would have expected after reading the negative comments. I think most Stones fans (including myself) like the Stones especially for their hard, bluesy, rock sound and maybe tend to forget that actually for a few years in the early sixties they made some decent pop songs too. "As Tears Goes By" in this live version reminds me of "Lady Jane", it has a certain Middle-Age English royal court feeling to it. Marianne Faithful had a perfect voice for that, but I think Taylor Swift comes very close.

They shouldn't overdo the invitation of unexpected guests but the fact that they select people from such different genres is at least adventurous, which I find a good thing. I mean, on the other side of the spectrum, they also invited Tom Waits, whose performance, despite his mistakes in timing, I found fantastic.

Date: June 4, 2013 13:25

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

By the way, how is your plans to go with your daughter to Hyde Park?

If she makes it, she might joing the choir of demanding more Taylor.. Taylor all the same..>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:26

By inviting musical guests from a younger generation and different musical genres(not R&R) than them, the Rolling Stones show that they aren't stuck up in some ideological/musical box. Lots of kids are going to discover who the stones are by watching videos of Swift, Perry, Gaga playing with the veteran rockers. Musically I don't like those new artists but I can see why Mick invites them on stage.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 4, 2013 13:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

By the way, how is your plans to go with your daughter to Hyde Park?

If she makes it, she might joing the choir of demanding more Taylor.. Taylor all the same..>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Still working on it. It takes time converting these kinds of "Taylorites" winking smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:33

Miss You:

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:38

Front crowd had a nice view on Swift pants (or pussy) >grinning smiley<
years go by for the band but they sing with kids nowadays.
Gone Tina, Ronstadt etc...

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:38

Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity

... tired of having to endure Mick's guests.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:39

Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity

no he is the old bluesman

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: June 4, 2013 13:47

toomuchforme
Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity

The grumpy old bluesman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()

Well at least he's not a dead bluesman!

Reminds me of when Mick said at the Trabendo "You'd think that some of us whould be sitting now, but we're not"...yes I know it's an acoustic song but had the guitar players been seated on stage before?

rollmops
By inviting musical guests from a younger generation and different musical genres(not R&R) than them, the Rolling Stones show that they aren't stuck up in some ideological/musical box. Lots of kids are going to discover who the stones are by watching videos of Swift, Perry, Gaga playing with the veteran rockers. Musically I don't like those new artists but I can see why Mick invites them on stage.
Rock and roll,
Mops

I agree with the approach here. In a way it "looks good" if they were showing respect to their old inspiration by asking blues heroes as guests, but then again...

(a) There actually aren't many of their real heroes alive any longer. There is only name I think that is around here, and that's the biggest of them all, Chuck Berry. But we know that is not an easy deal... People like Buddy Guy or Taj Mahal aren't any longer their real inspiration, but more liek contemporaries of theirs. I don't think asking younger blues heroes is so relevant any longer, since there is not any longer that real connection. Those people don't mean anything to them any longer.

(b) They have showed enough respect for their inspiration through the years, starting in the very early of their career (not just making the whole genre of blues popular, but inviting, for example, Howlin' Wolf to their American tv show, then having all these hot blues and r&b names - Turners, BB King, Berry, Wells & Guy, etc - as their warm-up acts, etc.) During the Vegas years they have invited people like John Lee Hooker, Robert Cray, and Bo Diddley as guests. That they relaesed the Muddy gig last year officially was also a nod to their true inspiration. Jagger's and Richards' solo gigs lately are another form of homage to the blues. The blues is there, but they don't need make a big fuss about it any longer.

Actually, I think the blues family should show a little more respect to how much this band has done for this genre... Starting, for example, with the Blues Hall of Fame...

- Doxa

Posted by: paulm ()

Refreshing to wake up on the east coast and find at least some open minded people here who concede that T. Swizzle's appearance was better than expected.

Although she can't hold a note so well (nobody is perfect), it was an OK performance. I'm a Tay-Tay fan, as in when her song is on the radio, I listen, and I'll Google to check out her new tunes. The bitter ex-girlfriend cr@p does wear thin though and I'm hoping Swiz evolves out of that as she approaches 25 or something.

I worked with a young woman who models on the side, and who appears (briefly) in one of Swizzle's vids, set in a church by the coast. This co-worker said Taylor was gracious throughout shooting, greeting and joking with the staff. She performed a free concert for the community when shooting was over.

Class act, writes her own material. Had a publishing contract in Nashville (which is based on writing, not looks necessarily) before becoming big.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 4, 2013 13:55

rollingon
toomuchforme
Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity

The grumpy old bluesman.

Fantastic shot! He's not grumpy at all, if you watch the video you can see that he's concentrating on Mick, who cues him at one point.

Lots of interesting comments from last night, mostly to do with the other Taylor, the one with the flat ass, as opposed to the one with the rapidly disapearing ass. It will be good to hear later from some more of the people who were actually there and can give us a more well rounded view. grinning smiley

Date: June 4, 2013 13:57

latebloomer
rollingon
toomuchforme
Hotstuff
Max'sKansasCity

The grumpy old bluesman.

Fantastic shot! He's not grumpy at all, if you watch the video you can see that he's concentrating on Mick, who cues him at one point.

Lots of interesting comments from last night, mostly to do with the other Taylor, the one with the flat ass, as opposed to the one with the rapidly disapearing ass. It will be good to hear later from some more of the people who were actually there and can give us a more well rounded view. grinning smiley

The cue was for doing the chorus one more time in the ending, unlike on the album.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home