Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 05:33

Max'sKansasCity
btw- You'll be back... once the Stones are in your blood.... you are hooked for life.

Well, the blood part is true. Half or more of my guitars are tuned to open G. I never said (or will say) "I'm no longer a fan" - I always will be. But in terms of going to concerts I do really think I have seen my last one. I have enjoyed every one that I have seen, from the front row in Portland to way back on the grass in Anaheim, to standing on the floor of the Roseland Ballroom. AND I finally got to see them with Mick Taylor! So, I'm a happy fan, not a cynical or bitter one. I just think I am content with what they have given me, and perhaps $500 0r $850 can be put to better use now.

Posted by: kpl ()
Date: May 7, 2013 05:35

The whole tour is becoming a drag already. The reivew of last nights show in the Oakland paper was spot on. The WEAK LINK in their sound is Keith and Ronnie.
I love the quote in the article "its a shame they are going out this way". Mick Taylor could rescue this tour and make it more than an Las Vegas show biz act and bring his special magic to energize the band again.
In Bill Wymans book he said the band never sounded better than they did with Mick Taylor. "He was such a good musicain, we all had to elevate our game".
I have no hope now MT will be used on more than one track on this tour. Keith's comments on Fallon and Jaggers comments in RS appear to be BS.
I will always have Ya, Ya's, Brussels affair and the many bootlegs from 69 to 73 showing Mick Taylors live exotic brilliance.
Also, I will always have Winter, Sway, Time Waits for No Man, All Down the Line ect ect ect in the studio to remind my ears that at one time this band was special and electrifying.

Date: May 7, 2013 05:35

Max'sKansasCity
DoomandGloom
71 is not a great year for a Tele anyhow.

I dont know about that, but 71Tele a cool name for a good man.

Thanks, Max.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 07:14 by 71Tele.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:10

vermontoffender
And it becomes more and more obvious that so very many people on this board aren't Stones fans, but Taylor fans instead.

Go listen to some Jazz/Blues fusion crap. Go plunk down some bucks for a Taylor solo show and pray he actually shows up.

Leave the Rock and Roll to Jagger, Richards, Watts, and Wood: The Rolling Stones.

What a douche bag comment. I wish bv would kick idiots like you off.

I am wishing for the day when we can get a block users function. I would block you, Max'sKansasCity, and I forget the other one's name. Then it would be peaceful.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:24

Perhaps VermontOffender is just a kid who knows not what he speaks of?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:28

Perhaps VermontOffender is just another person posting their opinion based on what they see here.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:30

As I have said on several occasions, I too would like to have an ignore feature available here.

Date: May 7, 2013 07:15

No need for acrimony. We can state our views without it.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 7, 2013 08:14

DoomandGloom

Yes it was!

We still had Bonanza and High Chaparrel was on too.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 08:25

GravityBoy
DoomandGloom

Yes it was!

We still had Bonanza and High Chaparrel was on too.

>grinning smiley< Subtle!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 08:33

kpl
The whole tour is becoming a drag already. The reivew of last nights show in the Oakland paper was spot on. The WEAK LINK in their sound is Keith and Ronnie.
I love the quote in the article "its a shame they are going out this way". Mick Taylor could rescue this tour and make it more than an Las Vegas show biz act and bring his special magic to energize the band again.
In Bill Wymans book he said the band never sounded better than they did with Mick Taylor. "He was such a good musicain, we all had to elevate our game".
I have no hope now MT will be used on more than one track on this tour. Keith's comments on Fallon and Jaggers comments in RS appear to be BS.
I will always have Ya, Ya's, Brussels affair and the many bootlegs from 69 to 73 showing Mick Taylors live exotic brilliance.
Also, I will always have Winter, Sway, Time Waits for No Man, All Down the Line ect ect ect in the studio to remind my ears that at one time this band was special and electrifying.

Have you seen a show? Tours in the Stones' heyday were not about YouTube, or setlists, or live audience recordings, or bootlegs. It was about going to see them when they came to your town. Mick Taylor was far less glorified by the audience when he was in the group than by people who have grown up on bootleg recordings. I'm not denigrating his contribution, but when the live show was about the in person experience, it was a different world than the one on this message board.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 7, 2013 08:42

Thank You Teddy!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 7, 2013 08:56

More MT please. Please let the boy play all night.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:34

People - Tweet Mick Jagger and let him know your Taylor thoughts. It is not clear that he will read the superb points you make here. But he does read incoming Tweets. And cannot miss noticing if there are LOTS of them, to this point. Do it every freakin day until he gets the message.

Without input from somewhere -- and who will take this on but us? -- it is unlikely that Taylor will be "phased in" to future concerts. Not only from the pov of planning and they way the machine rolls out, but because it's just not equitable to the earlier audiences to have such a change in the format. Therefore action must be taken, and swiftly, while the tour is just beginning. Please Tweet even if you hate Twitter. It is more constructive than blowing steam off here, as much as I agree with you smileys with beer

And kudos to Sighunt for posting his petition on the Stones FB page. Everyone can comment on that, as well, or post their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 18:40 by blueyestoo.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 7, 2013 10:10

Good points, blueyestoo.

But what goes for IORR, I think BV did a wonderful contribution and a statement by making this thread sticky. The thread is more about hopes and dreams - with the following feelings of disappointment, even anger - and the fans talking to each other, but it is nice to have it for a casual reader (and even the press seem to follow this site occasionally.) Yeah, there are a few "whiners" who try to sapotage the point of this thread, but that's business as usual. The empathy towards other fans' feelings is not the forte of IORR.

- Doxa

Re: mick taylor "performing" only one song........?
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 7, 2013 10:43

ts
LOL and what about Ronnie Wood? Isn't it kind of like getting a divorce, getting re-married and having your ex come stay with the new Mrs and yourself. Awkward.

Who knows what he really thinks...? However, Ronnie seems to have the least ego of all of them and very friendly with MT. Plus, on his day, also a great player so maybe having MT on would inspire him. I agree - at least 2 numbers with MT please!

Date: May 7, 2013 10:50

marianna
DandelionPowderman
It's cool with Taylor on board, but I really think the Taylor posts here is chilfish overpraising. It's even more nostalgic than a Vegas set list. Grow up, Taylor is an old man playing a decent guitar, but he's not stable musically or heLth-wise. Be happy he can contribute the way he does at all.

I think the same things can be said about Keith Richards and Ron Wood, that they're old men who are not stable musically or health-wise. They're not exactly scintillating on some of the clips on the latest tour.

From what I've seen, they are playing good night after night now.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 7, 2013 11:00

I still think it's unbelievable that everybody is whining that Taylor only plays one song! It was unthinkable that he would join them on stage a couple of years ago and, apparently, they came close in 2003 at the London club show. Everybody on hear would have been so pleased if he came on stage as a guest. It seemed like the ultimate thing we could get is Taylor or Wyman come on as a guest and look what they gave us. Wyman for two songs at two shows and Taylor as a guest at EVERY show!! It was completely ridiculous to even think this would happen one day!
Everybody that is complaining sounds like a little kid that always want more no matter how much he gets.
You guys should just be very happy that you can see him play with the Stones on more than 20 shows. A lot of us are not able to go to the concerts because we live in either different parts of the world or it's too expensive.

Enjoy it guys, in a couple of years you'll really appreciate the fact that you have seen the late 60's early 70's line up or the Wyman line up play live after all these years.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: May 7, 2013 12:25

Wuudy
I still think it's unbelievable that everybody is whining that Taylor only plays one song! It was unthinkable that he would join them on stage a couple of years ago and, apparently, they came close in 2003 at the London club show. Everybody on hear would have been so pleased if he came on stage as a guest. It seemed like the ultimate thing we could get is Taylor or Wyman come on as a guest and look what they gave us. Wyman for two songs at two shows and Taylor as a guest at EVERY show!! It was completely ridiculous to even think this would happen one day!
Everybody that is complaining sounds like a little kid that always want more no matter how much he gets.
You guys should just be very happy that you can see him play with the Stones on more than 20 shows. A lot of us are not able to go to the concerts because we live in either different parts of the world or it's too expensive.

Enjoy it guys, in a couple of years you'll really appreciate the fact that you have seen the late 60's early 70's line up or the Wyman line up play live after all these years.

Another voice to sapotage the point of this thread, but you are in a good company...

As I argued earlier the idea of having Wyman or Taylor onboard again was an ultimate fan dream, such a beautiful idea, but the way it turned out to be when finally becoming true, they managed to make it ugly. They were treated as some kind of freaky extras to just ice the nostalgia cake to please the demands of some hardcore fans (that is: to get even those Doubting Thomases to buy a ticket.). They were not even proper "guests", but some odd regular numbers within the show. The plan seemingly was to offer them as a part of the show in 50 AND COUNTING tour. The real guests come and go, but these two guys were integrated to the show, without really having them integrated to the sound of the band. Wyman wisely vote his feet, and I can understand his bitterness. There still seems to be a musician in him who wants to play in the band, and not just being a freaky show number they will show to people for a song or two, without even letting to rehearse with the band properly.

But Taylor seem to have accepted the deal and they are now travelling him around the world as a such a freaky number within the show.

To my eyes having that ex-Rolling Stone there as an extra number is just a way to sell some more tickets. Both Richards and Jagger promoted that idea in public, and gave signals of him having more role. As we have seen that (PR?) talk did have an effect on hardcore fanbase. But instead of those "promises", we still got the one same old number.

So where are we now? Who are the winners, the happy ones?

Most of their buying audiences probably do not know who Mick Taylor is. For them having this one more old dude there - who doesn't even look like a skinny Rolling Stone - is just the same if he plays one, three or zero numbers. The only people who care are the hardcore fans, who are dying to hear Taylor with the Stones again. Those are the people who will be disappointed if Taylor does just the same old number again and again, and nothing more. They will be disappointed for being fooled by Mick and Keith's false promises. They see there a wasted opportunity when they hear the current line-up doing Taylor-marked Stones songs, and knowing - or even seeing - him there behind the stage.. But okay, they are there, that is, having alraedy purchased the tickets, so who cares....

Taylor is a little pawn in big boys' game, and The Stones are just taking the advantage of him. And once again, laughing all the way to bank.

Personally the result has been that the personal highlight of any Stones show of mine - "Midnight Rambler" - has started to have such many bad vibes around it, that I don't even want them to play that one any longer. They kill their greatest live song by playing with this odd Taylor card. Their last non-Vegas number. How could that happen?confused smiley

Damn, just give the man some more role - a song or two more. That's all I ask. For the sake of good music. And decency.

- Doxa

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 12:53

To Jagger and his servants: If you are not going to use him properly, or think he is not up to better than jamming through one blues number, please give him a big check, and send him home. This is no fun at all.

- Doxa

Thanks, finally someone has seen the light. I takes two to tango. Apparently they both don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 12:57 by VT22.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 7, 2013 13:27

We're not getting more MT, and through his stage loping act, he's not moving the argument forward. The only thing I'm curious about these shows is how vital MJ is...I mean wow! And seeing how Keith and Charlie are getting on. That is IT. The performances do nothing for me. This dog has had its day. I'd be more interested seeing a workout video by MJ, a gardening special by Keith, and a day in the barn with Charlie.

MT still has the musical and physical ability to stand, focus, and deliver. But for whatever reason, that's not where he's at, not for his 1-song cameo anyway.

Date: May 7, 2013 13:38

paulm

This dog has had its day. I'd be more interested seeing a workout video by MJ, a gardening special by Keith, and a day in the barn with Charlie.

MT still has the musical and physical ability to stand, focus, and deliver. But for whatever reason, that's not where he's at, not for his 1-song cameo anyway.

Another one who has seen the light. thumbs up

Date: May 7, 2013 13:41

VT22

To Jagger and his servants: If you are not going to use him properly, or think he is not up to better than jamming through one blues number, please give him a big check, and send him home. This is no fun at all.

- Doxa

Thanks, finally someone has seen the light. I takes two to tango. Apparently they both don't.

You are one cool dude, VT22. You have such a great appreciation towards Taylor that you don't want to wittness in his lesser condition. I can dig that, and actually I feel the same for the whole Rolling Stones. In my dream world the band have had call it quits a long ago when they still were a living and breathing band, and don't let them degenareted to this nostalgia act milking out their own legacy.

But the reality is what it is, and we need to cope with it. The way I see it, Taylor, even with his recent condition, can still offer something extra to the recent incarnation of the band. To make the Vegas act a bit more challenging musically, and not so damn predictable. That's the lesson of what I have gotten from all those "Midnight Ramblers" so far (even though I admit teh things do look going worse lately). So my argument simply is just for the sake of good music, please, use Taylor more. If they need to exist, and still milk out any penny is still left out there, please do it with at laest a bit musically challenging way. Give us something different, out of the normal routine. Taylor is already there. Use him! Like i have said many times earlier, I don't pretend - nor want - it to be 1972 again, but I'd love to have something unique from 2013 that is worthy to remember.

But it could be that the tango is impossible for those two to do (it starts to look like that): the band is too stubborn and full of Vegas routine that integrating Taylor there sounds a mission impossible (expect a jam like "Midnight Rambler"). And Taylor himself either, for whatever reason, does not make that easy.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 13:44 by Doxa.

Date: May 7, 2013 14:42

Unbelievable conspiratoric thinking. Taylor is a special guest, and he is treated as one - with 11 minutes of the show to shine in. What exactly is wrong with that?

Date: May 7, 2013 14:48

Doxa
VT22

- Doxa

You are one cool dude, VT22. You have such a great appreciation towards Taylor that you don't want to wittness in his lesser condition. I can dig that, and actually I feel the same for the whole Rolling Stones. In my dream world the band have had call it quits a long ago when they still were a living and breathing band, and don't let them degenareted to this nostalgia act milking out their own legacy.

But the reality is what it is, and we need to cope with it. The way I see it, Taylor, even with his recent condition, can still offer something extra to the recent incarnation of the band. To make the Vegas act a bit more challenging musically, and not so damn predictable. That's the lesson of what I have gotten from all those "Midnight Ramblers" so far (even though I admit teh things do look going worse lately). So my argument simply is just for the sake of good music, please, use Taylor more. If they need to exist, and still milk out any penny is still left out there, please do it with at laest a bit musically challenging way. Give us something different, out of the normal routine. Taylor is already there. Use him! Like i have said many times earlier, I don't pretend - nor want - it to be 1972 again, but I'd love to have something unique from 2013 that is worthy to remember.

But it could be that the tango is impossible for those two to do (it starts to look like that): the band is too stubborn and full of Vegas routine that integrating Taylor there sounds a mission impossible (expect a jam like "Midnight Rambler"). And Taylor himself either, for whatever reason, does not make that easy.

- Doxa

Thanks Doxa, I really hope your dreams come true thumbs up

Posted by: doppler ()
Date: May 7, 2013 14:59

I guess humour is lost on you...let me just add this - Your comment is stupid too. Just as stupid as having Mick Taylor come on tour and then relegating him to one song ;-) (just kidding in case you think I'm trolling with snake bait - knock yourself out haters...)

And for those who think those of us are bigger Mick Taylor fans than Stones fans - that just as stupid too. Go watch Gimme Shelter and listen to those albums from 69-74 and unplug your ears. Or get your heads out of those unmentionable parts of your bodies...God what heave we got on this board - people more interested in seeing Lady Gaga with the Stones - All of us here love every era of the Rolling Stones. So what if Bill left...so what if mick left?

If Brian was alive I'd say so waht he was fired...does tha mean that he made no great contribution to this band being the greatest rock n' roll band in the world?

Second chances come once a lifetime if you are lucky - ask Mccartney how he feels about not being able to play one more time with John, George and Ringo. I bet every day of his life he has regrets when he sees the Stones doing 50 and counting...

For all you know - mick Jagger is trolling this board. Or just maybe he wrote this post to see what you'd all do (he he he...).

I'm just glad I lived long enough to se this tour and could easily cough up $3000.00.

Sure hope I die before I get old _ I might have to cough up 25K for 60 and Counting... and 50 K for 75 and counting... ;-)

Get it yet? Or haven't you got yer' ya ya's out yet?

Danny

Posted by: doppler ()
Date: May 7, 2013 15:30

MisterDDDD
doppler
Dear Mick Jagger:

The only reason I bought tickets to the Toronto shows at $3000.00 for 2 pairs for each concert was in the hopes of seeing Mick Taylor play with The Stones once more. There is no other reason I'd ever pay that sort of $$$. I did it because keith made it clear that ther were going to be three guitars with Taylor beingf with the band this time.

Not having him on for every song is just plain stupid. Wating his talent for just one song is just plain stupid. Having other guests like Lady gaga or anyone elseinstead of having Mick taylor is just plain nuts. I could care less abhout them.

This could be the most interesting version of the Rolling Stones ever.

If you can have Bernard and Lisa on every song, certainly Mick taylor has had far more impact in about 10% of the time. And I like bernard and Lisa. Really I do.

But Mick Taylor has a gift - a very rare gift.

Brian can't make this tour unfortunately - But Mick can - Got it?

Second chances don't come too often in life. But when they do, grab em and hold on tight.

There isn't a real Rolling Stones fan who would disagree with me. It would be amazing to see 3 guitars in The Rolling Stones weaving like never before.

Danny

Mick's responsesad smiley it's ALL make believe, right?)

Danny.
Sorry you feel that way.

Assuming what you state is true...
You list two reasons why you made a decision to spend the money on the ticket.

Number One: Easy one.
You WILL "see Mick Taylor play with the Stones once more"
He plays right now a solid ten percent of our on stage time and
we're hoping he can WORK UP TO more.

You're Welcome

Number Two: I'm assuming you are referring to Keith's remarks made on Fallon.
I just watched it again,just in case I missed the GUARANTEE of how
involved Mick would be in the shows. Not there.As he stated on the
program, we hadn't even started rehearsals yet, so everything was
speculation. After rehearsing together and working things out,
ALL agreed we would start with the eleven+ minute classic, and work
on fitting a few more in as we go along. OK with you if we go ahead
and work all that stuff out as a band,taking into account factors
that you can't possibly know?

Lemme know if you actually did hear Keith make any real guarantees, as
I will not only set him straight (like that's possible) but make him
pay you for all your tickets out of his share. Just post a link and
we'll re-imburse.

Thanks for your continued support of The Rolling Stones and let me take this opportunity to remind you that Mick Taylor has a web site listing his personal appearances and music for sale.

www.MickTaylor.com
Enjoy.

Danny's response:

Dear Mick - so nice to hear from you again ;-)

No - I was referring to comments he made to me last week over drinks.

Swear to God, Keith leaned over and said "God damn, that Mick Taylor is just as good as he was the day he left the band, but Mick said he really needs to shag Christina, Lady Gaga, Madonna and seevral others on this tour (and a few other boys we won't mention...) So mate - I offered him a second crack at Anita and fierst crack at my daily Sheppeard Pie on tour...But Mick is a shred negotiator - he just winked and said in his best school boy voice that's what he and he just winked and said C'mon Keefster baby - That's why Mick taylor's here. I'd rather have a second crack at humiliating him for leaving us in the lurch in 74...which royally @#$%& us until 78 and has been royally @#$%& us ever since..."

I just about fell out of my chair Stohli and all.

I said: "But Keith you promised me there would be three guitars on this tour, I've spent almost a gazillion dollards on you guys since the 60's - it's the leastytou could do. It's a matter of respecting a rabid fan like me and the gazillion others of us who love you and Taylor..."

Keith said: "I know, I know...what I said and I meant it. But, hey I'd do anything to play with The Stones, I mean I shagged Anita to lose Brian and you know Mick made me do it, but the editor made me take that part out of LIFE, BUT YOU READ THE UNEDITED VERSION - RIGHT? - Hey I'd even take it up the arse from my real wife if that's what it takes TO GET MICK ON THE ROAD - Read Life Part 2, Chapter 21 - You'll see what I mean...why else do you think Taylor is backstage - Madonna was a no-show..."

At that point I spit the remainder of my Stohli all over Keith...

"No problem mate - want some Sheppard's Pie to go with that"...was Keith's deadpan response who then promised me that by Toronto he'd have it sorted out. we then spent the remainder of the evening in the studio erasing your solo on Midnite Rambler from last night (sorry about that mate - Keith insisted I could play it better, but then erased my solo and did it over 6000 times - it's being spliced together in Pro Tools and it sounds way better now...)

So Mick, if Keith doesn't get it sorted as promised - please send me a cheque right away...

Oh BTW I still ain't got the cheque for all the gigs you didn't show up for since 74 that I bought tickets for - Can you send that right away? I need to start saving for the next Rolling Stones Tour and what you owe me just might cover it ;-)

Best to you - See you in Toronto!

Danny

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2013 15:34

DoomandGloom
How can a Rolling Stone upstage The Rolling Stones??? Keith and Mick need to realize Taylor can only enhance their thunder. I am very surprised they are being so petty and stingy with his stage time. Meanwhile Taylor has to suck it up for his last chance to escape poverty. I wonder, if he punches Jagger in the nose on the last night will he still get paid?

I'd never thought of it like that...I mean reading Bill German's book (his visit after the HOF induction I think) and hearing that story about the Stones paying for his dental work (or medical bills) at some point was a bit worrying, but poverty? Huh...wonder how much he's getting for that tour...guess $1 million would be a minimum given that they have an $80 million budget to play with!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 15:34 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 7, 2013 15:41

I think most Taylor Fans "Get it."

One poster stated Taylor wasn't as revered as he has been here when he was with the Stones. My understanding is that he was highly regarded and his break from the Stones was a very bad situation and was terribly distressing to many Stones fans. Some critics thought he was an equal to many of the great guitarists of his day - Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.

Obviously Mick has a weak personality when it came to deal with fame and the stress of the touring musician. He did make the mistake of leaving the Stones - something he has been asked almost everyday to reconcile.

But his musicianship is only question by a few knuckleheads on this Board. It is true that KR and MJ certainly stated MT would have a larger presence than the first three shows. Now we have been duped. I am sure Wyman is thankful he didn't go....as MT is being made to be a Side-Show on this silly Vegas like act.

There is no doubt the Stones have not tried to go with a 3 guitar act - they simply can's swallow their pride. Its not far off from having Jimi Hendrix on stage and not using him. I have a Ferrari in my garage but I refuse to take it even for a Sunday Drive. What a joke.

They clearly will never forgive this relatively meek person - MT - from actually leaving the Band. What jerks they are.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:26

MCDDTLC
Kleer - Like i said, I was impressed with the current Stones show, now if they
include Taylor in more songs - all the better

MLC

Seems like a reasonable comment - more Taylor will only make the show better - it doesn't have to be an us vs. them situation.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2129
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home