Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:53

Good job, SIGHUNT! Add my name to this petition. Are they REALLY afraid MT will steal the show? They should look at it as ENHANCING THEIR SHOW! I am already annoyed that he has gone from a lousy 2 songs to just 1....COME ON BOYS! This is the last round, do it for the fans who have been with you all the way!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 18:59

Mick Taylor is sitting backstage smoking cigarettes while the Stones are playing brown Sugar and Sympathy, etc.

There is no way anyone can explain this to me in a way that would make any sense.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:20

Honestly I'm a huge Taylor fan, have been for 40 years but after watching MR from the Oakland show on Youtube, I'm silently asking what the hell is Mick T doing?

Is he out of his element? He plays with his back to the crowd, he awkwardly crowds out both Woody and Keith on a HUGE stage (much bigger than the bowling alleys he has been playing for last 20 years), tries his best to do the Pete Townsend windmill badly and honestly he is not playing all that great, still better than Woody or Keef but NOT great.

Ok so the whole band isn't quite up to the 1972 form we had all hoped they would be, that is to be expected but honestly Mick, just stand there like you use to do beside Charlie and WOW us with your Gibson, your clumsy dancing and prancing are just not cutting it my freind.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:26

cn854
honestly he is not playing all that great, still better than Woody or Keef but NOT great.

this kinda says it all, no?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:28

Rokyfan
Mick Taylor is sitting backstage smoking cigarettes while the Stones are playing brown Sugar and Sympathy, etc.

There is no way anyone can explain this to me in a way that would make any sense.

Lemme give you a couple scenarios.

HE doesn't want more playing time (stage fright, out of practice etc.)

The band has enough trouble accommodating it's current talent and guests making sure those of us hard core Rolling Stones fans get our The Rolling Stones ya ya's out.

There's two.
Welcome.
You're welcome.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:31

Another thing about this. We'd expect Mick Taylor to make the best of his limited role, right? So did anyone else notice that at Echoplex, Staples, and Oracle, he gave Ron the main solo on 3 Ramblers and one Love in Vain ? He literally bowed, nodded, waved his hand so much as to say, You take it. For MR last night Taylor was not even playing,but dancing, draping his arm on Ron and whispering in his ear as Ron played (IMO indifferently scratched) a poor lead at the end (which was famously blazing in Taylors live versions ). Kind of strange but seems Taylor is more into strutting and windmilling than seizing the opportunity to really dazzle with his playing at the moments when it really counts - the spotlight solos. Very un-Taylorlike.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:42

I really want to find some way to flip my whole pairs for Anaheim and Staples. $85 is still a lot of money for seeing a repeat of the pay per view over and over again.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:45

I just want my money back! LOL.

To have Taylor come in for one song in some cheesy ass memorial is silly. Instead he should really just "Sit-in" with the band. Not having Woody and KR strumming their guitars and pointing at him like some Side Show Act from yester-year.

Trade some jams with him Keith. Keith @#$%& man-up and tell that sissy MJ that MT should be on some rock songs too...like Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy for the Devil. Not just some silly cameo on MR.

Remember Sympathy for the Devil, Keith??? Is there a better version of guitar solo trades than you and MT on Get Yer Ya-Yas out? I DON"T THINK SO!!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:45

Have some of you not seen any previous 2012/13 MR performance w/Taylor, online or live? There was nothing markedly different from Oakland vs anywhere else. The most he danced around was the first performance in London last year, he toned it down after the first show. Sometimes he's played most or all the solos, sometimes he's let each guy have a showcase. The band acted the same last night during the song as they have any other night.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:04

cn854
Honestly I'm a huge Taylor fan, have been for 40 years but after watching MR from the Oakland show on Youtube, I'm silently asking what the hell is Mick T doing?

Is he out of his element? He plays with his back to the crowd, he awkwardly crowds out both Woody and Keith on a HUGE stage (much bigger than the bowling alleys he has been playing for last 20 years), tries his best to do the Pete Townsend windmill badly and honestly he is not playing all that great, still better than Woody or Keef but NOT great.

Ok so the whole band isn't quite up to the 1972 form we had all hoped they would be, that is to be expected but honestly Mick, just stand there like you use to do beside Charlie and WOW us with your Gibson, your clumsy dancing and prancing are just not cutting it my freind.

This was also my impression at Oakland.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:14

Perhaps yes, and Keith on SFTD, his solo, is it really GREAT ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 20:16 by roby.

Date: May 6, 2013 20:17

roby

No but the other 2 hours and 22 minutes he was great.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:18

For me Taylor only playing on one song was my deciding factor not to buy tickets to see them in Philly, why talk about him playing a bigger part with the shows and having 3 guitars on so many songs that have more than 2 guitars on their albums.

What a wasted opportunity, and I feel for those who dished out money hoping to see Taylor play on more songs for the shows that already happened.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:40

Oh my god, a realistic Stones fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonomastone
roby

No but the other 2 hours and 22 minutes he was great.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:41

kleermaker
VT22
kleermaker
VT22
kleermaker
VT22
Doxa
Yeah, the things are starting to look a bit worrying for our dreams.sad smiley

It is like a Buffalo Bill Wild West Show where they are presenting this freaky character Sitting Bull as a special attraction but with a limited role...

- Doxa

Dream on. Jagger is the boss, and he's not deaf, and a calculating control freak.
If Taylor would have the same sound and fluidity like back in the days, or come close, he had played on more songs already after all these shows.

It requires more than just being MT: you have to be steady, on every, every song.
Mick lacks that routine and focus at this time, for whatever reasons.
He has to change it, and fast, cause time is running out

A pity, I'm his biggest fan.

You may be his biggest fan and very disappointed as well, but you pull the wrong conclusion by blaming Taylor for not being used on more songs. That's simply ridiculous. Do you expect Taylor to be a masochist or what? (Well, sometimes one is going to think that, regarding his circus act kind of role during this tour (so far).

I'm not blaming him, if your read my previous post, but I do think his chances to play more songs would be bigger if he did a better job, and you and I know he can do that- thanks again for the snippet you sent me winking smiley

I agree he has to be a masochist regarding this circus act - which is bigger than you can imagine in your wildest dreams.

You were doubting his technical skills and said Taylor lacks routine and focus now and adviced him to improve, suggesting that by doing so he would have a chance to play on more songs. RollingFreak replied already adequately, so I won't repeat that. Of course he can do a better job, but I'm afraid that's not what they're asking him. I think he's supposed to play the way he does now on MR and that's it. He could easily play otherwise, as we both know well.

As to me, I was very agreeably surprised when he played on MR end of last year, but now it's just humiliating to see him being used as a circus act. Not only humiliating for Taylor himself but also for those who love his playing with the Stones during the Taylor-era (and too bad for 71 Tele who was at last evening's show to see Taylor and the Stones for the first time in his life).

I do think Taylor lacks practise, so as far as that is concerned, RF's reply is not adequate to me.

I do believe you're right when stating the Stones won't him to noodle as much like he did in
the good old days, but wanting him to play like he does now would make Mick a schizoprenic player. I don't buy that. To me it's a matter of practise.

Anyway, let's hope to hear more playing and more songs with Taylor.

Well, always interesting to have a discussion between so called Taylorites.

You bring back the whole issue to a lack of practice on Taylor's side. There may be such a lack (and a lack of rehearsing with the band too), I guess you are a guitar player (winking smiley) and a better judge of that, but no one can convince me that a lack of practice has anything to do with Taylor only playing on MR. And that's what you suggest, saying "If Taylor would have the same sound and fluidity like back in the days, or come close, he had played on more songs ..." I don't buy that and I presented proof by that snippet (SAL solo on Jimmy Fallon's show a year ago, see up here).

There are obviously other reasons that have to do with band politics and, most of all, band image.

I still remember how impressed Bjornulf was by Taylor's playing on the pre-tour clubshow.

No doubt there are other issues that will keep him away from playing more songs, band politics etc, but iorr is not the place to write about that. Taylors fingers are stiff, I can hear and see it, and to me he sounds uninspired. If you drop your guitar for 3 months or so, that's a long time.

There are many people here that are impressed by Taylors current playing, and they are impressed by Ron's too, so I don't attach much value to their opinion, although Ron is doing a reasonable job - by his standards.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:42

Is Taylor getting paid per song? Why play more for the same price? Maybe he doesn't want to, out of principle of something.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:17

Really I think who paid 650 dollars need to receive money back. It´s not correct you pay 650 dollars and other guy pay 85 dollars for a similar seat.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:38

Two Mick Taylor tunes were played last night. Tunes that had a lot of MickT in the recorded versions. Dead Flowers and ADTL would have been better with MickT playing like he did on record. But The Stones are not rehearsing to do such logical things so tickets don't sell and MickT is left out in the cold.

The Stones got an 80 million dollar guarantee from AEG. This could be adjusted downward if ticket sales remain dismal. One news source brought this up whether true or not. If true then Mick+Keith will have their stuborness rewarded by ending up with less tour compensation by not showcasing Mick Taylor. Who would bring in ticket sales if MickT got a good buzz going around. Real Stones fans are bored and contemptuous (at Glimmer Twins) at MickT being trotted out for Midnight Rambler and then told to get off the satge. How boring and stupid is this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 21:56 by triceratops.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:10

MisterDDDD
Rokyfan

Lemme give you a couple scenarios.

HE doesn't want more playing time (stage fright, out of practice etc.)

The band has enough trouble accommodating it's current talent and guests making sure those of us hard core Rolling Stones fans get our The Rolling Stones ya ya's out.

There's two.
Welcome.
You're welcome.

If he can't play anymore, what they are doing is a fraud and a joke. But it really is the only thing that makes sense.

Interfereing with guest appearances by others, all of which suck, is a stupid thing to say and no reason for taylor not to play.

As most people seem to realize, songs that are now boring as hell they way they do them would be the opposite with the three guitars. Although that is based on the assumption that Taylor has more left than keith and Woody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:11 by Rokyfan.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:21

I'm not sure why people are criticizing Mick Taylor's performance on his one song. As for people saying "he doesn't play a solo," yes, he does. If you actually watch the lengthy clip on YouTube, he plays upfront (aka solo) from around 1:50 onwards for a solid two minutes plus.

He sounds good and he makes them sound like a better band. Charlie has always said he locks into the guitars, not the bass like most drummers, because of Keith's peculiar sense of rhythm. When Mick T. is playing, his rhythm on lead helps drive Charlie along, too. Listen to that official clip of the band playing IORR sans MT and they sound like a train wreck, Charlie included, since CW is stuck with following what the rest of the band is doing.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:31

How can a Rolling Stone upstage The Rolling Stones??? Keith and Mick need to realize Taylor can only enhance their thunder. I am very surprised they are being so petty and stingy with his stage time. Meanwhile Taylor has to suck it up for his last chance to escape poverty. I wonder, if he punches Jagger in the nose on the last night will he still get paid?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:58 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:36

it just looks awkward with him standing up front like one of those silly "guests"-

mick needs to stand back off to ronnies right next to chuck and do his "wiz kid in the shadows" thing like he did back in the day.

the body language makes it look like he's crowding ronnie and keith and fighting for space on the stage.

just back off mick and take a spot in the back line and let your guitar do the talking.i swear it looks like if the big fella just found a place to stand they would leave him out there more.

he should be onstage for at least four songs,myself i would prefer it be the entire show.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:46

OK - time for me to wade in... I went to opening night, 1st time since 1975
great vibe in the building, all the beautiful people of LA were there...
For one I was impressed with Keith, haven't heard him play like this in a while,
Ronnie was solid, as was the whole band! I, like all the other Taylorites was
expecting more after what Keith stated on the Jimmie Fallon show and hearing
he did two songs at the Echopark club. Was thinking to myself during: Tumbling
Dice - wasn't Taylor the original, on guitar on this song? couldn't Keith give a minute here or Ronnie a minute there for Taylor to shine on more tham MR?
But I guess that's what a "guest" equates to no matter who you are. I am hoping
that changes down the road when maybe they don't include any "guests" other than Taylor. And to those comments that Taylor isn't up to par - shut up!! MR was still the highlight of the night, the crowd was really into it, everyone around me was yelling about Taylor... And I don't want to knock the guests, I thought
Gwen & Keith U. were great in their spots. Will be watching the video's from the upcoming show's to see what's next. MLC

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:51

MCDDTLC
OK - time for me to wade in... I went to opening night, 1st time since 1975
great vibe in the building, all the beautiful people of LA were there...
For one I was impressed with Keith, haven't heard him play like this in a while,
Ronnie was solid, as was the whole band! I, like all the other Taylorites was
expecting more after what Keith stated on the Jimmie Fallon show and hearing
he did two songs at the Echopark club. Was thinking to myself during: Tumbling
Dice - wasn't Taylor the original, on guitar on this song? couldn't Keith give a minute here or Ronnie a minute there for Taylor to shine on more tham MR?
But I guess that's what a "guest" equates to no matter who you are. I am hoping
that changes down the road when maybe they don't include any "guests" other than Taylor. And to those comments that Taylor isn't up to par - shut up!! MR was still the highlight of the night, the crowd was really into it, everyone around me was yelling about Taylor... And I don't want to knock the guests, I thought
Gwen & Keith U. were great in their spots. Will be watching the video's from the upcoming show's to see what's next. MLC

Thanks for your comment MLC. Interesting to compare your live experience to the videos (especially MR of course).

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:00

Kleer - Like i said, I was impressed with the current Stones show, now if they
include Taylor in more songs - all the better

MLC

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:10

The two saddest things for me last night were watching Taylor sitting behind Charlie's drum kit during Tumbling Dice and watching the band, then instead of joining them again going through the door to the backstage area; and almost having to physically force himself into the group bow at the end.

We can talk about this or that aspect of his playing on Midnight Rambler all day long, but the fact is they are treating him like shit.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:26

This thread is great for me in that so many of us feel/observe what is happening the same way:
Rokyfan

By his submissive hunching and loping around the stage, aping with everybody in the band, while pretty much forgetting how to stand straight and play his d@mn guitar, MT seems to be working out some weird psychological thing with the band.

If he stood in his spot and played, I bet he would deliver something great. But that is not where he's at. Given that his dexterity is intact, I can only guess that his resigned approach is more mental than anything.

He just doesn't care. It's like he doesn't want to "add" (give away?) anything to the band anymore. Maybe it's because he was not duly credited for his contributions? Who knows. Maybe the guy really doesn't know how much he has meant to us. I wish he did, then he'd play for us rather than trying ineffectively to be RW for one song.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:28

Two words: MISSED OPPORTUNITY

Date: May 7, 2013 00:31

paulm
This thread is great for me in that so many of us feel/observe what is happening the same way:
Rokyfan

By his submissive hunching and loping around the stage, aping with everybody in the band, while pretty much forgetting how to stand straight and play his d@mn guitar, MT seems to be working out some weird psychological thing with the band.

If he stood in his spot and played, I bet he would deliver something great. But that is not where he's at. Given that his dexterity is intact, I can only guess that his resigned approach is more mental than anything.

He just doesn't care. It's like he doesn't want to "add" (give away?) anything to the band anymore. Maybe it's because he was not duly credited for his contributions? Who knows. Maybe the guy really doesn't know how much he has meant to us. I wish he did, then he'd play for us rather than trying ineffectively to be RW for one song.

i agree, mostly. if he was playing great i'd be more upset he wasn't playing more.
it was a great and well-deserved gesture that they had him take a bow with the core band.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:32

71Tele
The two saddest things for me last night were watching Taylor sitting behind Charlie's drum kit during Tumbling Dice and watching the band, then instead of joining them again going through the door to the backstage area; and almost having to physically force himself into the group bow at the end.

We can talk about this or that aspect of his playing on Midnight Rambler all day long, but the fact is they are treating him like shit.

At least he's on frontpage of this site. That helps.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home