Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:36

rambler44
Very poor form by Mick and Keith. I agree with someone else who said cut Taylor a check and send him home. No need to treat him like this for the rest of the tour.

excellent thought. and just think, there's so much more for him to tell now in his tell-all book. maybe that was his strategy all along. rock on, MT!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:40

71Tele
To those who think we should be content with the token one-song MT appearance:

What the entire music world could have been talking about now is the amazing musical renaissance of the Rolling Stones, creatively using their three guitarists to breathe new life into old tired arrangements, and take us on a new trip. This is what top-tier musicians do when presented with this kind of opportunity. Instead they have chosen to play it safe, throw the Taylor-era fans a bone, and put on the usual greatest hits show.

So in a way it's a debate by those of us hungering for new musical daring and risk-taking by the Rolling Stones (in which the payoff could be wonderful), vs. those who are perfectly saitisfied to roll out the hits again with one or two minor tweaks.

Indeed. The Vegas Republican Guard on IORR would like us all to just shut up and stop "whining" and be treated to the same old thing we have enjoyed more or less since 1989 - plus this odd recurring cameo of Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler.

But for most of us wanting "more" Taylor here, it is not a question of 1973 vs Vegas. And, its not a question of "Nostalgia" (ie Taylor) vs The Current Lineup, because The Vegas act is nothing more than nostalgia now in and of itself (albeit missing a bit of authenticity).

We can NEVER have 1973 back (even dropping Ronnie and reinstating Bill would not make that happen). Rather what most of us - at least you Tele, Doxa and others - is something "NEW" - WITH Ronnie and Taylor together on *some* of the older classics that are now a bit stale, and even, a few of the more recent works which just might work better with a hybrid ingredient. I fully understand it might be too much for them to deliver if they simply don't wish to do it, as may well be the case, but it shouldn't be terribly unreasonable for FANS (of the Stones, of Taylor and of Ronnie) to wish for. Don't forget, Ronnie was himself a fan - and that's inclusive of Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and their contributions, and probably no small part of his generosity of spirit from what we have seen at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 19:42 by SweetThing.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:42

MisterDDDD
71Tele

What the entire music world could have been talking about now is the amazing musical renaissance of the Rolling Stones, creatively using their three guitarists to breathe new life into old tired arrangements, and take us on a new trip. This is what top-tier musicians do when presented with this kind of opportunity. Instead they have chosen to play it safe, throw the Taylor-era fans a bone, and put on the usual greatest hits show.

So in a way it's a debate by those of us hungering for new musical daring and risk-taking by the Rolling Stones (in which the payoff could be wonderful), vs. those who are perfectly saitisfied to roll out the hits again with one or two minor tweaks.

And the entire music world could also be talking about the surviving Beatles doing a concert with Lennon's and Harrison's sons standing in.
Or they could be talking about Led Zeppelin's reunion tour.

Or..

But they're not.
They're talking about the Stones tour and most of them about how amazing it is.

Because that's real. The rest is fantasy.

Your comparison to those things is idiotic. It is not "fantasy" to say that the Stones now could be doing something musically challenging and interesting instead of rolling out the hits one more time. It is simply a choice they have made.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:47

71Tele
MisterDDDD
71Tele

And the entire music world could also be talking about the surviving Beatles doing a concert with Lennon's and Harrison's sons standing in.

Or..

But they're not.

Your comparison to those things is idiotic. It is not "fantasy" to say that the Stones now could be doing something musically challenging and interesting instead of rolling out the hits one more time. It is simply a choice they have made.

A choice they made years ago, I don't understand the focus on the number of
Mick Taylor songs.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:51

!+

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:52

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:55

GRNRBITW
clance65
I'd rather have a bit more of Mick Taylor. I'm happy to for whatever The Rolling Stones can give us.

Before this tour the argument didn't really exist. It didn't seem a possibility. Now that The Stones offer us a chance to see Mick Taylor perform with them again, it isn't enough?

I am a life long Rolling Stones fanatic. Last Sunday I attended my 36th show since 1981. The first record I ever bought was "Some Girls".

The guitarist I grew up with is Ronnie Wood. He's been there 38 years....since I was 10 yrs old. HE IS The Stones to me. The 2nd best showman on that stage. The perfect compliment on stage.

The "performance" is why I love these guys! Ronnie is so critical to the performance.

I love the Taylor era records and songs, but I grew up on the Wood interpretation.

I'd like a bit more Taylor involvement the same way I'd like to hear 2 more Keith songs, and have the set list run to about 40 songs or so, with deep cuts or tunes that haven't been played since ??, etc...

More of everything would be great. But man, I got to see Taylor on stage. I got to hear Mick's falsetto on Emotional Rescue. I'm happy. I'm content. I'm grateful.

whiner. you don't fool me.

Cracking up smiling smiley

Date: May 7, 2013 20:20

sonomastone
71Tele
MisterDDDD
71Tele

Or..

But they're not.

A choice they made years ago, I don't understand the focus on the number of
Mick Taylor songs.

Yes, you don't understand it.

Date: May 7, 2013 20:20

SweetThing
71Tele

Indeed. The Vegas Republican Guard on IORR would like us all to just shut up and stop "whining" and be treated to the same old thing we have enjoyed more or less since 1989 - plus this odd recurring cameo of Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler.

But for most of us wanting "more" Taylor here, it is not a question of 1973 vs Vegas. And, its not a question of "Nostalgia" (ie Taylor) vs The Current Lineup, because The Vegas act is nothing more than nostalgia now in and of itself (albeit missing a bit of authenticity).

We can NEVER have 1973 back (even dropping Ronnie and reinstating Bill would not make that happen). Rather what most of us - at least you Tele, Doxa and others - is something "NEW" - WITH Ronnie and Taylor together on *some* of the older classics that are now a bit stale, and even, a few of the more recent works which just might work better with a hybrid ingredient. I fully understand it might be too much for them to deliver if they simply don't wish to do it, as may well be the case, but it shouldn't be terribly unreasonable for FANS (of the Stones, of Taylor and of Ronnie) to wish for. Don't forget, Ronnie was himself a fan - and that's inclusive of Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and their contributions, and probably no small part of his generosity of spirit from what we have seen at least.

Thank you for putting it much better than I did (or could)!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 7, 2013 20:22

71Tele

This is 100% correct. The presence of taylot, the three-guitar attack that Mick and Keith lied about to sell tickets, would have been a way to breahte life into the now tired and stale warhorses. They obviously just don't care. I don't think they want to punish Taylor or anything, I just think it would have been too much work for them.. They're happy going out on autopilot every night for that last paycheck, they are cetainly not concerned about creating anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 20:23 by Rokyfan.

I need your support!!! please read
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 7, 2013 01:51

This will probably be tossed in with the Mick Taylor thread but I hope it does not. THere has been a lot of speculation as to why former guitarist Mick Taylor is not being utilized on stage-whether it has to do with him only being relegated to a very,very limited role/whether his playing is not up to par,etc, etc, etc. I certainly don't have any answers. I have put my open letter on the Rolling Stones Facebook site. It is NOT a petition-but you can REPLY to it! Others have (not very favorably, I might add). If you have a FACEBOOK account, go on there and support my open letter with a response. You will find on the left side of the page "Scott Sigel Open letter to Mick Jagger." I am trying to be proactive and give the Stones a message. THis will more than likely be the last opportunity to have all of them on the same stage playing together. If you think that Mick T should be in a more involved role, than get on there and say something!!

Re: I need your support!!! please read
Date: May 7, 2013 02:31

Unfortunately every time we try to say something some idiot who hates Mick Taylor says something else.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2013 02:39

Sorry can't see it, is it on that page : [www.facebook.com] ?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 7, 2013 02:46

71Tele
Unfortunately every time we try to say something some idiot who hates Mick Taylor says something else.

Who could possibly hate Mick Taylor?
Point them out...I'll ruff em up...

Date: May 7, 2013 03:06

gotdablouse
Sorry can't see it, is it on that page : [www.facebook.com] ?

....yes!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:10

Tell us in one paragraph here what it is you would like others to support.

Date: May 7, 2013 03:28

stonesrule
Tell us in one paragraph here what it is you would like others to support.

Scott Sigel Open letter to Mick Jagger re: Mick Taylor

Mick, we know that you are in control of and/or have the final say on many facets of the 2013 tour. This tour will more than likely be your swan song and we know that you want to go out on top. You are now in a very unique position to utilize the talents of Mick Taylor to make a lasting contribution to your legacy. Certainly, his addition to this tour has been significant on Midnight Rambler, but if you are going to bring him along for the entire tour in 2013, wouldn't it make more sense to invite him to play on a mini-set of three songs such as Love In Vain, Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Time Waits for No One where you really utilize his guitar talents? On prior occasions via interviews, etc, you yourself have claimed that Mick Taylor's presence in the Rolling Stones was significant regarding his contributions to the band. Many, many long time Rolling Stones fans who are planning to attend the current tour (and have paid for premium seats) are doing so under the assumption that Mick Taylor was to be on board in a more expanded role. Think of it Mick, what a great way to end a very successful musical career and add to your legacy by having one of your greatest assests on stage in a three guitar attack that would wow the fans every night and garner great reviews!

If you agree with this letter that I wrote on the Stones facebook page (which I just re-posted near the top) requesting that the Stones expand the role of Mick Taylor, then by all means, go to the Facebook page and put in a reply in support of it. If you don't agree, then don't. It cannot hurt to have as many responses as possible so someone from the Stones organization sees it. I may be doing this for selfish reasons, but I really think this will be the last opportunity to see all these living legends on stage at one time. For God's sake, if you are gonna be paying top dollar to see these guys, why not make your opinion known???

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:40

I don't know why Mick Taylor is limited to 1 # (the same), up to now. Is it a contract thing? To make his appearance very special only one song? But I like the fact that you take matter in hands and you are pro-active. I agree with you that the Stones should play more songs with Taylor. Who would disagree with that really? Good luck!
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: May 7, 2013 03:44

Munichhilton
71Tele

Who could possibly hate Mick Taylor?
Point them out...I'll ruff em up...

Well, I have taken down a few names.smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:47

71Tele

It is possible to like the Rolling Stones Sans-Mick Taylor, WITHOUT hating Mick Taylor and without being an idiot.

Date: May 7, 2013 03:52

Sounds good to me...I am not a Facebook person...but I expect you will have plenty of support.

Date: May 7, 2013 04:01

Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

It is possible to like the Rolling Stones Sans-Mick Taylor, WITHOUT hating Mick Taylor and without being an idiot.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately given some of the comments around here recently, I was beginning to wonder.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:10

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Yes, it is. Unfortunately given some of the comments around here recently, I was beginning to wonder.

Yes, I'm surprised at the widespread indifference to Mick T as well. He's a former Rolling Stone who played on many classic songs and provided a signature sound for a few of their most glorious years. Why aren't more people glad to have him back and wish for him to have more extensive involvement with the band? I thought part of being a Rolling Stones fan was about respecting their history and the figures who contributed to it.

It makes me think that if Brian Jones were alive that many here just wouldn't care about him as well.

Apparently people here only like you if you played on Dirty Work through ABB--those must be the favorite albums of anti-Taylorites (or those who are indifferent to Taylor).

Date: May 7, 2013 04:18

stonehearted
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

Yes, I'm surprised at the widespread indifference to Mick T as well. He's a former Rolling Stone who played on many classic songs and provided a signature sound for a few of their most glorious years. Why aren't more people glad to have him back and wish for him to have more extensive involvement with the band? I thought part of being a Rolling Stones fan was about respecting their history and the figures who contributed to it.

It makes me think that if Brian Jones were alive that many here just wouldn't care about him as well.

Apparently people here only like you if you played on Dirty Work through ABB--those must be the favorite albums of anti-Taylorites (or those who are indifferent to Taylor).

There is no need to subdivide the Stones into sections, eras or albums made. I view The Stones as The Stones.... all one thing, one long lasting, great musical thing running from 1962 to infinity and beyond.

Date: May 7, 2013 04:31

Yes!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 7, 2013 04:37

Max'sKansasCity
stonehearted
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

There is no need to subdivide the Stones into sections, eras or albums made. I view The Stones as The Stones.... all one thing, one long lasting, great musical thing running from 1962 to infinity and beyond.

I'll drink to that....

Date: May 7, 2013 04:39

stonehearted
Max'sKansasCity
stonehearted
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity
71Tele

I'll drink to that....

smileys with beer Cheers my friend!

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 7, 2013 08:30

I don't hate Mick Taylor. I do feel sorry for all of the many HUGE Mick Taylor fans who are upset and unhappy because Mick Taylor is only getting one song per concert on this tour.
I wish, for their sakes, that it was different.
But, it's not.
I also think wishing and hoping that it will change is a waste of energy.
Jagger has his guest list and Taylor gets one track just like his other guest artists.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:35

Sighunt

Scott Sigel Open letter to Mick Jagger re: Mick Taylor

Is there a chance to support the open letter without a Facebook account?

Btw for London Hyde Park: Bring in Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman.

The best thing would be to play all songs from the era 1969-1974 with them.
But I don't think they would do so, since it would be nearly the half of the concert.
Play some rarities in this formation instead and make Hyde Park 2013 something special.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 7, 2013 09:42

Hi Sighunt, Sorry but I cannot find your petition on the Stones FB page? Seems like there is just posts by THEM and not a "posts by others?". . .help?!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home