Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:34

Very good points above... They should cut Taylor loose and give him a check rather than humiliate him this way. Those of us old enough know he's contributions to guitar playing, yes he is a peer to Jimi and E.C. To question his talent against what normally goes on on their stage is silly. Many of us have waited our whole rock 'n' roll lives for this and demand Mick Taylor's shown some respect!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:38

IMO, and without bitterness, a part of the "problem" is that is impossible to widely prefer the Rolling Stones WITH Mick Taylor, WITHOUT being suspected to dislike Ron Wood and putting in the trash all the Stones work since 1975...

Here on IORR and everywhere else...

So, one song, and only one. Always the same. A classic one, but nothing more than a genial boogie rock song.

So, not necessarily a song where Taylor could excel too much... (Sway, Can you hear, Time waits for no one...).

In order not to offend anyone... And fully highlight what the Stones are / can provide in 2013. Without risking any comparison.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 16:45 by roby.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:45

If Brian Jones was still alive they would probably only let him play on one song too...

the fact that Mick Taylor only gets one song is silly...they just don't want to own up to the fact that HE was the reason that those LP's were so great...and then he left the band...to his detriment...

the fact that the cackling idiot Gwen Stephani and that pretty boy redneck Keith Urban get just as much facetime on stage as he does is sickening...and an insult to fans who have supported the Rolling Stones through thick and thin...if they really cared about the 'music' they would let him stay up there all night...and save things...

and who cares what Ron Wood thinks about it...he is LUCKY to be there AT ALL

Posted by: doppler ()
Date: May 7, 2013 16:59

cowboytoast
If Brian Jones was still alive they would probably only let him play on one song too...

the fact that Mick Taylor only gets one song is silly...they just don't want to own up to the fact that HE was the reason that those LP's were so great...and then he left the band...to his detriment...

the fact that the cackling idiot Gwen Stephani and that pretty boy redneck Keith Urban get just as much facetime on stage as he does is sickening...and an insult to fans who have supported the Rolling Stones through thick and thin...if they really cared about the 'music' they would let him stay up there all night...and save things...

and who cares what Ron Wood thinks about it...he is LUCKY to be there AT ALL

Now that's to the point - I'm really happy Ron has sobered up and is once gain playing like he actually cares about being a Rolling Stone, because he's a great Rolling Stone when he wants to be. So Is Mick Taylor. Stefani, Urban, Madonna etc etc etc are such a waste of my ticket time, I'd like to have that part of the ticket refunded...

Brian would likely have taken a pass too. Who knows, maybe he, Mick T and Bill would have made a great band after the Steel Wheels Tour ;-)

Now that would have been something to see.

Danny

Danny

Date: May 7, 2013 17:05

Well, Ron Wood is a full member so he has some pull. If he walked Taylor and Richards could not pick up the slack as Ronnie's job is to cover whatever doesn't get done by Keith. Keith, I believe talked about acoustic parts and third guitar parts in an interview. So who's standing in the way here??? Have rehearsal with the three been that dismal? Taylor was not there from the start of LA rehearsals so I suspect this was the plan all along. Who's heard the Love In Vein from the warm up gig?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 17:15 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:05

Mick, Mick

TWO songs would be more satisfying...
Y'all played 2 numbers together at the Echoplex club show (LIV and MR).
C'mon, pretty please.
What do you say???

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:12

vermontoffender
And it becomes more and more obvious that so very many people on this board aren't Stones fans, but Taylor fans instead.

Go listen to some Jazz/Blues fusion crap. Go plunk down some bucks for a Taylor solo show and pray he actually shows up.

Leave the Rock and Roll to Jagger, Richards, Watts, and Wood: The Rolling Stones.
Hey Ver - Guess you didn't hear, Mick Taylor was in the Rolling Stones!!! I
actually saw them in 1969,1972 & 73 - still the best concerts I've ever been to,
excuse me if I would like to see that lineup on songs like, Gimme Shelter, All Down The Line,Dead Flowers,etc. We were given the impression Taylor would be included more, maybe the band is taking it slow, as mentioned above, I'm hoping
that's the case - but there is a good reason we're feeling like we're feeling - MLC

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:13

Captainchaos
been thinking about this abit

the stones approach maybe to gradually introduce him into the setlist (probly upto a desired song quota) as the tour progress's

might make sense looking at the overall projected tour.
Personally I'd like to hear more Taylor asap but think/hope this maybe the stones preferred approach rather than playing just Midnight Rambler?

so... leaving aside the ronnie/taylor vs endless debates.. yawn yawn yawn heard it all before

anyone thought on my orginal post?

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:15

Well said MCDDTLC.

Your answer confirms what I wrote above ...

IMO, and without bitterness, a part of the "problem" is that is impossible to widely prefer the Rolling Stones WITH Mick Taylor, WITHOUT being suspected to dislike Ron Wood and putting in the trash all the Stones work since 1975...

Date: May 7, 2013 17:19

Captainchaos
Captainchaos
been thinking about this abit

the stones approach maybe to gradually introduce him into the setlist (probly upto a desired song quota) as the tour progress's

might make sense looking at the overall projected tour.
Personally I'd like to hear more Taylor asap but think/hope this maybe the stones preferred approach rather than playing just Midnight Rambler?

so... leaving aside the ronnie/taylor vs endless debates.. yawn yawn yawn heard it all before

anyone thought on my orginal post?
Each guy's been playing for over 60 years and are elite professionals. A couple of weeks are not going to make a difference. How much did they rehearse with Keith Urban, John Mayer or Gary Clarke? This goes deeper, for goodness sake Taylor and Wood toured together for a few concerts last year. PS you can't quote your own posts here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 17:21 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:33

TeddyB1018
kpl
The whole tour is becoming a drag already. The reivew of last nights show in the Oakland paper was spot on. The WEAK LINK in their sound is Keith and Ronnie.
I love the quote in the article "its a shame they are going out this way". Mick Taylor could rescue this tour and make it more than an Las Vegas show biz act and bring his special magic to energize the band again.
In Bill Wymans book he said the band never sounded better than they did with Mick Taylor. "He was such a good musicain, we all had to elevate our game".
I have no hope now MT will be used on more than one track on this tour. Keith's comments on Fallon and Jaggers comments in RS appear to be BS.
I will always have Ya, Ya's, Brussels affair and the many bootlegs from 69 to 73 showing Mick Taylors live exotic brilliance.
Also, I will always have Winter, Sway, Time Waits for No Man, All Down the Line ect ect ect in the studio to remind my ears that at one time this band was special and electrifying.

Have you seen a show? Tours in the Stones' heyday were not about YouTube, or setlists, or live audience recordings, or bootlegs. It was about going to see them when they came to your town. Mick Taylor was far less glorified by the audience when he was in the group than by people who have grown up on bootleg recordings. I'm not denigrating his contribution, but when the live show was about the in person experience, it was a different world than the one on this message board.

Teddy - WRONG!!! Sorry but after Jagger the one band member EVERYONE was talking
about in 1969 , 1972 & 1973 was: MICK TAYLOR!!!!! because of what he was doing
LIVE in concert. Back in those days, if you didn't have it, musically people walked out on you, saw that a few times, back then when "headliners" had someone better open for them, but back on point, the buzz on the street & radio was how
good the Stones were live, the reason was this kid on Lead Guitar who was the focal point of the Stones live sound - believe me he was glorified by the people going to and "listening" to what was comming off the stage.. MLC

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:45

kpl
The whole tour is becoming a drag already. The reivew of last nights show in the Oakland paper was spot on. The WEAK LINK in their sound is Keith and Ronnie.
I love the quote in the article "its a shame they are going out this way". Mick Taylor could rescue this tour and make it more than an Las Vegas show biz act and bring his special magic to energize the band again.
In Bill Wymans book he said the band never sounded better than they did with Mick Taylor. "He was such a good musicain, we all had to elevate our game".
I have no hope now MT will be used on more than one track on this tour. Keith's comments on Fallon and Jaggers comments in RS appear to be BS.
I will always have Ya, Ya's, Brussels affair and the many bootlegs from 69 to 73 showing Mick Taylors live exotic brilliance.
Also, I will always have Winter, Sway, Time Waits for No Man, All Down the Line ect ect ect in the studio to remind my ears that at one time this band was special and electrifying.

I'll say it again, what counts is how the people that went to the show felt when they walked out of the venue. A reporter's opinion is just that THEIR opinion which accounts for a single point of view.

CBII

Posted by: doppler ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:46

MCDDTLC
TeddyB1018
kpl

Have you seen a show? Tours in the Stones' heyday were not about YouTube, or setlists, or live audience recordings, or bootlegs. It was about going to see them when they came to your town. Mick Taylor was far less glorified by the audience when he was in the group than by people who have grown up on bootleg recordings. I'm not denigrating his contribution, but when the live show was about the in person experience, it was a different world than the one on this message board.

Teddy - WRONG!!! Sorry but after Jagger the one band member EVERYONE was talking
LIVE in concert. Back in those days, if you didn't have it, musically people walked out on you, saw that a few times, back then when "headliners" had someone better open for them, but back on point, the buzz on the street & radio was how
good the Stones were live, the reason was this kid on Lead Guitar who was the focal point of the Stones live sound - believe me he was glorified by the people going to and "listening" to what was comming off the stage.. MLC

Right frickin on bro...

Danny

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 7, 2013 17:53

MCDDTLC
TeddyB1018
kpl

yeah I believe thats true..the band then was entertaining and exciting on so many levels 'Ladies And Gentlemen' confirms any doubt.. so does 'Brussels'..
yet people at shows who weren't attuned to musicians in particular most likely just were freaking on the whole show, the total effect..
Mick Taylor raised the bar, really, and he is back...what is the deal with not featuring him on more of those songs he made so great live..?

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:09

CBII
kpl

I'll say it again, what counts is how the people that went to the show felt when they walked out of the venue. A reporter's opinion is just that THEIR opinion which accounts for a single point of view.

CB..Sadly these days the concert is 'shared' in a blink of an eye via Youtube and forums like this...so people who have no emotional connection to the concert and performance can voice their opinions..You're right, unless you're there and feel the vibe..your opinion, however. wordy, erudite and passionate, really means diddly-squat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 18:10 by Gibson668.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:13

CBII
kpl

does my opinion count? i haven't been to the shows and i'm not going and i won't listen to the recordings, but i still have very strong opinions on how they are playing.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:20

GRNRBITW
CBII
kpl

does my opinion count? i haven't been to the shows and i'm not going and i won't listen to the recordings, but i still have very strong opinions on how they are playing.

As the song says

"Them that's got shall get
Them that's not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that's got his own
That's got his own..."

CBII

Date: May 7, 2013 18:23

CBII
GRNRBITW
CBII
kpl

As the song says

"Them that's got shall get
Them that's not shall lose
So the Bible said and it still is news
Mama may have, Papa may have
But God bless the child that's got his own
That's got his own..."

i ain't got nothin but a two-bit opinion.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:37

lem motlow
it just looks awkward with him standing up front like one of those silly "guests"-

mick needs to stand back off to ronnies right next to chuck and do his "wiz kid in the shadows" thing like he did back in the day.

the body language makes it look like he's crowding ronnie and keith and fighting for space on the stage.

just back off mick and take a spot in the back line and let your guitar do the talking.i swear it looks like if the big fella just found a place to stand they would leave him out there more.

he should be onstage for at least four songs,myself i would prefer it be the entire show.

You and I think alike. MickT needs to be in the back where you said, modestly adding to each tune. Let Keith and Ronnie be up front. MT needs to be there at least 75% of the set. Then for two tunes he comes to the fore. Sway and Dead Flowers would be my choices but there are many "Mick Taylor" tunes to choose from. Forget MickT on Midnight Rambler. This is getting pathological, stupid, boring to have him trotted out for MR then put off stage for the rest of the performance with some of the warhorses being identified with Mick Taylor, where he did his career best.

The Stones are becoming uncool, becoming a laughing stock and seen to be out of it by:
- vastly misjudging the ticket markets
- then slashing ticket prices to at least break even (yes AEG is involved)
- bringing MickT on board for their final (probably) live performances, then not even using him after Keith talked about relishing a three guitar attack

All in all hillarious and stoooopid with the Stones coolness factor hitting 5%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 18:39 by triceratops.

Date: May 7, 2013 18:49

triceratops
lem motlow
it just looks awkward with him standing up front like one of those silly "guests"-

mick needs to stand back off to ronnies right next to chuck and do his "wiz kid in the shadows" thing like he did back in the day.

the body language makes it look like he's crowding ronnie and keith and fighting for space on the stage.

just back off mick and take a spot in the back line and let your guitar do the talking.i swear it looks like if the big fella just found a place to stand they would leave him out there more.

he should be onstage for at least four songs,myself i would prefer it be the entire show.

You and I think alike. MickT needs to be in the back where you said, modestly adding to each tune. Let Keith and Ronnie be up front. MT needs to be there at least 75% of the set. Then for two tunes he comes to the fore. Sway and Dead Flowers would be my choices but there are many "Mick Taylor" tunes to choose from. Forget MickT on Midnight Rambler. This is getting pathological, stupid, boring to have him trotted out for MR then put off stage for the rest of the performance with some of the warhorses being identified with Mick Taylor, where he did his career best.

The Stones are becoming uncool, becoming a laughing stock and seen to be out of it by:
- bringing MickT on board for their final (probably) live performances, then not even using him after Keith talked about relishing a three guitar attack

hey...5% is better than nothing. remember days of our lives and SOL? there's been a slight uptick since that nadir....

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 18:52

To those who think we should be content with the token one-song MT appearance:

What the entire music world could have been talking about now is the amazing musical renaissance of the Rolling Stones, creatively using their three guitarists to breathe new life into old tired arrangements, and take us on a new trip. This is what top-tier musicians do when presented with this kind of opportunity. Instead they have chosen to play it safe, throw the Taylor-era fans a bone, and put on the usual greatest hits show.

So in a way it's a debate by those of us hungering for new musical daring and risk-taking by the Rolling Stones (in which the payoff could be wonderful), vs. those who are perfectly saitisfied to roll out the hits again with one or two minor tweaks.

Date: May 7, 2013 19:01

71Tele
So in a way it's a debate by those of us hungering for new musical daring and risk-taking by the Rolling Stones (in which the payoff could be wonderful), vs. those who are perfectly saitisfied to roll out the hits again with one or two minor tweaks.

and what about those of us who don't care one way or the other cos these guys are all too old for this silly rocknroll nonsense? don't we matter??

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:01

daring and risk-taking aren't their strong suits..

but by God its Mick Taylor, you'd think they'd play Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knockin, in addition to Love In Vain and Midnight Rambler..

how musically adventurous would that be for these old pros? now if they dropped 'Time Waits For No One', OK..that would be a huge event..

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:12

GRNRBITW
71Tele

and what about those of us who don't care one way or the other cos these guys are all too old for this silly rocknroll nonsense? don't we matter??

You guys can rightly ask BV for a sticky thread of your own.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:16

duke richardson
daring and risk-taking aren't their strong suits..

but by God its Mick Taylor, you'd think they'd play Sway and Can't You Hear Me Knockin, in addition to Love In Vain and Midnight Rambler..

how musically adventurous would that be for these old pros? now if they dropped 'Time Waits For No One', OK..that would be a huge event..

Asking them to play songs ("Sway," for instance) that they rehearsed — with Mick Taylor — is not asking too much.

Asking them to play songs that they rehearsed *and* played live ("Love in Vain") — with Mick Taylor — is asking even less.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:22

71Tele
To those who think we should be content with the token one-song MT appearance:

What the entire music world could have been talking about now is the amazing musical renaissance of the Rolling Stones, creatively using their three guitarists to breathe new life into old tired arrangements, and take us on a new trip. This is what top-tier musicians do when presented with this kind of opportunity. Instead they have chosen to play it safe, throw the Taylor-era fans a bone, and put on the usual greatest hits show.

And the entire music world could also be talking about the surviving Beatles doing a concert with Lennon's and Harrison's sons standing in.
Or they could be talking about Led Zeppelin's reunion tour.

Or..

But they're not.
They're talking about the Stones tour and most of them about how amazing it is.

Because that's real. The rest is fantasy.

Posted by: clance65 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:22

I'd rather have a bit more of Mick Taylor. I'm happy to for whatever The Rolling Stones can give us.

Before this tour the argument didn't really exist. It didn't seem a possibility. Now that The Stones offer us a chance to see Mick Taylor perform with them again, it isn't enough?

I am a life long Rolling Stones fanatic. Last Sunday I attended my 36th show since 1981. The first record I ever bought was "Some Girls".

The guitarist I grew up with is Ronnie Wood. He's been there 38 years....since I was 10 yrs old. HE IS The Stones to me. The 2nd best showman on that stage. The perfect compliment on stage.

The "performance" is why I love these guys! Ronnie is so critical to the performance.

I love the Taylor era records and songs, but I grew up on the Wood interpretation.

I'd like a bit more Taylor involvement the same way I'd like to hear 2 more Keith songs, and have the set list run to about 40 songs or so, with deep cuts or tunes that haven't been played since ??, etc...

More of everything would be great. But man, I got to see Taylor on stage. I got to hear Mick's falsetto on Emotional Rescue. I'm happy. I'm content. I'm grateful.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:25

What is really disturbing about all of this is that it seems so cold and disrespectful. Mick and Keith are intelligent men. they had to know when they announced Taylor would be on the tour that fans were expecting it to be more than 1 song. Hell they gave him 2 songs at the club gig.

And even if they are not seeing the feedback themselves thye have to know by now what people are saying. And worse yet so does Mick Taylor. I mean it just seems so cruel that they are playing Tumbling Dice & ADTL, which he played on the album, and making him watch from the wings. Even sadder is that his financial situation must be so dire that he has to swallow his pride and take whatever crumb Mick and Keith throw him.

Very poor form by Mick and Keith. I agree with someone else who said cut Taylor a check and send him home. No need to treat him like this for the rest of the tour.

Date: May 7, 2013 19:25

clance65
I'd rather have a bit more of Mick Taylor. I'm happy to for whatever The Rolling Stones can give us.

Before this tour the argument didn't really exist. It didn't seem a possibility. Now that The Stones offer us a chance to see Mick Taylor perform with them again, it isn't enough?

I am a life long Rolling Stones fanatic. Last Sunday I attended my 36th show since 1981. The first record I ever bought was "Some Girls".

The guitarist I grew up with is Ronnie Wood. He's been there 38 years....since I was 10 yrs old. HE IS The Stones to me. The 2nd best showman on that stage. The perfect compliment on stage.

The "performance" is why I love these guys! Ronnie is so critical to the performance.

I love the Taylor era records and songs, but I grew up on the Wood interpretation.

I'd like a bit more Taylor involvement the same way I'd like to hear 2 more Keith songs, and have the set list run to about 40 songs or so, with deep cuts or tunes that haven't been played since ??, etc...

More of everything would be great. But man, I got to see Taylor on stage. I got to hear Mick's falsetto on Emotional Rescue. I'm happy. I'm content. I'm grateful.

whiner. you don't fool me.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 7, 2013 19:30

triceratops
lem motlow

I love the Rolling Stones. But in all honesty, they have not been cool for well over 30 years. Maybe keith was cool again for 6 months when talk is cheap came out (got heavy rotation on college radio). But really, as a huge stones fan, isn't it obvious they have been uncool money grabbers for 30 years? Why the shock now? They didn't treat Ian Stewart any better in 1963! We can be appalled, but surely we aren't surprised at the 2013 incarnation.

despite all that - the show on Oakland was awesome, worth every penny.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2163
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home