Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 30, 2013 00:54

Rokyfan
MisterDDDD
As respectfully as I can put this..

Can this thread be moved to the one recently created where it belongs??
The "crazy complaint" thread??

no, that thread is for crazy complaints. You think "we want Mick Taylor on more songs please" is crazy?

No, that's not a good place to go - it's haunting at there. Dead people come to say that they can't complain or something...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 00:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 30, 2013 06:48

More Mick Taylor, please.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 30, 2013 10:39

Midnight Toker
Virtually every song being played on stage. MT recorded with them.

You're joking right?
Less than half the songs they are playing were recorded with Taylor.

Posted by: Fixembones ()
Date: May 30, 2013 15:13

To Mick Jagger: USE TAYLOR!!!! He is traveling with the band and not only does he make the music better on stage, but its even a better show for the fans!!! Please!!! Use him on wayyy more songs!!! Do it!!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 17:24

Just as an academic exercise...Of the 22 songs played last show 7 were Woody era songs. Even if Taylor did not play on the original recording I'd say 9 songs were such that he made a notable contribution on stage when he was there. I am not even including JJF & Satisfaction to that list although he has been a part of some memorable and classic performances of those songs. Some songs I consider "neutral," such as GOOMC, PIB and Silver.

Nice to see the band play a guest's song rather than vice versa with Six Days.

In that mid-90's RS mag interview Jagger declined to say that the Taylor line-up was the band's best saying something to the effect that that would disparage the current line-up. But with a wink and a nod one can say that he made that acknowledgment in the interview. That is the bind he is in with having Taylor around. Listening to Six Days I was missing Taylor's leads. A perfect song for Taylor to embellish.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:14

If we're only going to get him 12 minutes a night, put him on something instead of MR. I'd rather he get to play on two 6-minute 'regular' formatted (verse/chorus) songs as a real soloist. MR, frankly, is one morass of tempo changes, vamps, the complete stop near song's end, jam changes, etc. Unlike most of their set, it's not an easy song to pick a classic solo line thru. The dynamics change night to night and it's not one of the songs that suffered without a good lead before. Over the last 10 years, even if Keef and Ronnie were both having an off night, they could still pull off great Ramblers.

On the other hand, songs like SFTD, YCAGWYW, Dead Flowers, GS, SFM, ADTL, etc or songs that have a built-in guitar break/solo, have been subpar in that department many nights on the last 2 tours. Those are the types of songs he should be featured on; they're songs that are more formatted for a soloist to work over AND they have that built-in 'time limit' of 2 verses worth that would erase Jagger's concerns over the jam-style numbers (CYHMK, Sway coda, and even MR) going on for too long.

They have all this off-time between shows; surely it can't be that difficult to tackle 2-3 songs and get them up to Jagger's approval level! They play many of these songs anyway without Taylor; it doesn't have to be Sway or CYHMK. Why not LIV and ADTL?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:52

winter
If we're only going to get him 12 minutes a night, put him on something instead of MR. I'd rather he get to play on two 6-minute 'regular' formatted (verse/chorus) songs as a real soloist. MR, frankly, is one morass of tempo changes, vamps, the complete stop near song's end, jam changes, etc. Unlike most of their set, it's not an easy song to pick a classic solo line thru. The dynamics change night to night and it's not one of the songs that suffered without a good lead before. Over the last 10 years, even if Keef and Ronnie were both having an off night, they could still pull off great Ramblers.

On the other hand, songs like SFTD, YCAGWYW, Dead Flowers, GS, SFM, ADTL, etc or songs that have a built-in guitar break/solo, have been subpar in that department many nights on the last 2 tours. Those are the types of songs he should be featured on; they're songs that are more formatted for a soloist to work over AND they have that built-in 'time limit' of 2 verses worth that would erase Jagger's concerns over the jam-style numbers (CYHMK, Sway coda, and even MR) going on for too long.

They have all this off-time between shows; surely it can't be that difficult to tackle 2-3 songs and get them up to Jagger's approval level! They play many of these songs anyway without Taylor; it doesn't have to be Sway or CYHMK. Why not LIV and ADTL?

Interesting idea, winter, but I don't think it'll happen. It's not accidental that Taylor's regular 'song' is MR and that he got Sway and Knocking once, both for the ('truncated' (Sway) and 'uncontrolled' (Knocking)) solo. On Satisfaction he's only doing little things if he's audible at all, but Satisfaction is rather an extended riff than a well structured song like Dead Flowers and the like.

I think Taylor won't get some 'normal' songs to shine on. It wouldn't be 'compatible' with the brand of the band since decades. It reminds me of his playing during that famous Kansas concert in December 1981: hardly audible and present on the soundboard recording of that show. The result of a well deliberated decision. An audible and prominent Taylor would destroy the band's imgage. In 1981 and again in 2013. Still I hope to be proven wrong.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:54

Fixembones
To Mick Jagger: USE TAYLOR!!!! He is traveling with the band and not only does he make the music better on stage, but its even a better show for the fans!!! Please!!! Use him on wayyy more songs!!! Do it!!

+1

C'mon Mick, that's a unique opportunity!!!

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:27

winter

Yes I agree completely. It is so frustrating that they are using Mick Taylor for Midnight Rambler because the song worked even better with only Richards and Wood, it was more consistent and energetic without Taylor.

So they are using Mick Taylor for a completely wrong song. Please use Taylor for something that really was missing some great lead playing before, for example Sympathy or Love in Vain (Sway and CYHMK are also okay of course). Anything but Midnight Rambler! And exactly as Winter said they can put two normal songs in place of 12 minute Midnight Rambler! Can't understand Jagger here...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:35

rollingon
winter

Yes I agree completely. It is so frustrating that they are using Mick Taylor for Midnight Rambler because the song worked even better with only Richards and Wood, it was more consistent and energetic without Taylor.

So they are using Mick Taylor for a completely wrong song. Please use Taylor for something that really was missing some great lead playing before, for example Sympathy or Love in Vain (Sway and CYHMK are also okay of course). Anything but Midnight Rambler! And exactly as Winter said they can put two normal songs in place of 12 minute Midnight Rambler! Can't understand Jagger here...

Well, I explained it.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:42

Are they limiting MT to tracks he wasn't involved in creating??

Wonder if MT is only on MR and Satisfaction because they were created prior to him being a Stone and somehow limit his concert proceeds? Portions of LIB, or anything off SF/EOMS/GHS/IORR may perhaps mean he gets more $$ for his efforts??

Wouldn't put it past Jagger for there being a cashflow reason for MT's limited involvement.

Date: May 30, 2013 19:44

kleermaker
rollingon
winter

Well, I explained it.

Okay, you maybe right in that image thing, that would explain the present state of Taylor's role... I hope you are not right though!

Date: May 30, 2013 20:05

kleermaker
winter

Interesting idea, winter, but I don't think it'll happen. It's not accidental that Taylor's regular 'song' is MR and that he got Sway and Knocking once, both for the ('truncated' (Sway) and 'uncontrolled' (Knocking)) solo. On Satisfaction he's only doing little things if he's audible at all, but Satisfaction is rather an extended riff than a well structured song like Dead Flowers and the like.

I think Taylor won't get some 'normal' songs to shine on. It wouldn't be 'compatible' with the brand of the band since decades. It reminds me of his playing during that famous Kansas concert in December 1981: hardly audible and present on the soundboard recording of that show. The result of a well deliberated decision. An audible and prominent Taylor would destroy the band's imgage. In 1981 and again in 2013. Still I hope to be proven wrong.

Many of you are maybe familiar with this thing, but here is an interesting thread concerning Kansas 1981 with Mick Taylor:

[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

He played on 16 songs that night!!!

Date: May 30, 2013 20:22

muffie
Are they limiting MT to tracks he wasn't involved in creating??

Wonder if MT is only on MR and Satisfaction because they were created prior to him being a Stone and somehow limit his concert proceeds? Portions of LIB, or anything off SF/EOMS/GHS/IORR may perhaps mean he gets more $$ for his efforts??

Wouldn't put it past Jagger for there being a cashflow reason for MT's limited involvement.

If he should play songs he created, he´d only play Ventilator Blues confused smiley

Mick: Let him do Shake Your Hips, I Got The Blues and CYHMK, please!

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: May 30, 2013 21:59

MarkSchneider
Watch out frightened people!
MT on more songs does not mean MT's show, RW's funeral, KR's eclipse, nor MJ's shame, but rebirth for all…

ROLLING STONES' REBIRTH

thumbs up

Date: May 30, 2013 23:15

Is there any doubt that the Staples Center CYHMK was one of the great RS moments since prior to 1981 - with the noted exception of Keef defending Mick from an attacker with his Telecaster while balloons were flying and he still had a smoke in his mouth?

Every Stones fan that I know thinks MT should be playing the whole show.

Date: May 30, 2013 23:27

Voted for Sway to be played tomorrow.....

Date: May 31, 2013 01:20

duffydawg
Is there any doubt that the Staples Center CYHMK was one of the great RS moments since prior to 1981 - with the noted exception of Keef defending Mick from an attacker with his Telecaster while balloons were flying and he still had a smoke in his mouth?

Every Stones fan that I know thinks MT should be playing the whole show.

Yup, just like a California phrase, 4:20, became the accepted renowned slang phrase 420 for lighting up, now another California-centered phrase has entered the lexicon: 5/20, or 520.

520 -noun. Pinnacle of desired outcomes, realization of legendary status, confirmation of hypothesized awesomeness, stupendous aligning of the elements.

"Dude, today I got a raise at work, got asked out by this guy/gal that I'm heads-over-heels about, saw an awesome Swervedriver show and our missing puppy showed up at the door. It was like 520 or something!"

Date: May 31, 2013 01:27

duffydawg

Holy Sh*t! Sway is on the list again? Wow, fingers crossed for you guys (and MT).

Date: May 31, 2013 01:57

winter
duffydawg

Holy Sh*t! Sway is on the list again? Wow, fingers crossed for you guys (and MT).

Just because I hate it when you guys get all emotional after a show - be prepared for the possibility of them playing Sway without MT.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 31, 2013 02:06

sonomastone
winter
duffydawg

Just because I hate it when you guys get all emotional after a show - be prepared for the possibility of them playing Sway without MT.

Why would they do that after playing it with him?

Date: May 31, 2013 02:16

71Tele
sonomastone
winter
duffydawg

I'm just saying, because you guys get so bummed when they don't deliver the amount of MT you expect, it might be good to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised when they exceed expectations. This is a band that routinely releases greatest hits collections with one or two new tracks just to soak their biggest fans for more money. I don't put anything past them. I love them for their music, not their reliability in doing the logical thing to make their fans happy.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 31, 2013 03:01

Well, my theory is Jagger (or whoever) is simply not going to let Taylor play on anything where it would cause a case for the band not being able to go back without Taylor and have it sound obviously inferior.

Midnight Rambler after all, sounds fine live without Taylor.

Satisfaction simply doesn't matter. Studio version is iconic. No one cares how it sounds live now, one way or another.

Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and LIV.... they never need go back to those three to begin with.

If we are lucky we'll hear Taylor join them on Street Fighting Man or I heard it through the Grapevine.

What we are not going to get, I don't believe, is Taylor on Dead Flowers, Angie, Gimmie Shelter.

Its unfortunate. I would have paid to see Taylor with the Stones, but as good a show as the Vegas Act is I've already paid and seen it, and prior, and I'll let this last tour go since they aren't serious about putting on best possible show.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: May 31, 2013 05:07

sonomastone
... This is a band that routinely releases greatest hits collections with one or two new tracks just to soak their biggest fans for more money. I don't put anything past them. I love them for their music, not their reliability in doing the logical thing to make their fans happy.

+1, foolishly hoping we're wrong

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 05:12 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 31, 2013 07:40

They are not letting him play more for some reason?

Date: May 31, 2013 10:39

SweetThing
Well, my theory is Jagger (or whoever) is simply not going to let Taylor play on anything where it would cause a case for the band not being able to go back without Taylor and have it sound obviously inferior.

Satisfaction simply doesn't matter. Studio version is iconic. No one cares how it sounds live now, one way or another.

Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and LIV.... they never need go back to those three to begin with.

If we are lucky we'll hear Taylor join them on Street Fighting Man or I heard it through the Grapevine.

What we are not going to get, I don't believe, is Taylor on Dead Flowers, Angie, Gimmie Shelter.

Its unfortunate. I would have paid to see Taylor with the Stones, but as good a show as the Vegas Act is I've already paid and seen it, and prior, and I'll let this last tour go since they aren't serious about putting on best possible show.

Why doesn't Satisfaction matter??

Date: May 31, 2013 11:42

71Tele
sonomastone
winter
duffydawg

Just to #¤%"#¤%#¤% up with us!

Date: May 31, 2013 11:51

SweetThing

As we all know, Jagger is a control freak, and the thought of Mick Taylor putting shame on the existing band is maybe unbearable for him (and also Keith) so at the same time he is trying to protect the rolling stones from Mick Taylor BUT also get the fans buy expensive tickets with the help of Mick Taylor, it must be a little schizophrenic situation for him.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 31, 2013 12:04

Do you think it's realistic to hope a whole last Hyde Park show with Mick Taylor ?

Date: May 31, 2013 12:33

Maybe as realistic as Brian Jones playing with the band...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home