Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26
Re: Rehearsals in Los Angeles - with pictures
Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 21, 2013 05:09

How is it that Taylorites assume that someone who doesn't particularly enjoy his playing is somehow less aware of aspects of musicianship like taste and feel and band dynamics, etc? The level of snobbery concerning Taylor worshipers is sad and hilarious.

I prefer Ronnie's tone. I much prefer the band dynamic with Ronnie. I definitely prefer Ronnie's taste as a guitarist to Taylor's, but that doesn't mean I think Taylor groupies are morons.

Putting your own tastes on some sort of self made pedestal is kind of pathetic.

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 21, 2013 05:52

Pfft. It's because you guys obviously don't know what you are talking about.
Do I think people who don't like Mick Taylor are morons? Yes I do because you keep fighting a battle without merit. As for those of us who do or have appreciated Mick Taylor's talent, our group includes Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood himself, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Slash, John Mayall and on and on.

Mick Taylor is a hugely influential guitarist. One of the best in the world. But you would rather trade your Aston Martin One-77 worth $1,850,000.
for a Nissan Versa 1.6 S worth $12,780. Don't you see how illogical we find your arguments? You guys don't deserve a respected opinion because you don't have one to offer.

Yes you are sooo right that Mick Taylor doesn't sound good. The professionals should listen to you people who know what good sound is, and are the authorities on what great musicianship is. It's not our fault that you don't know what you're talking about, yet you guys constantly attack Mick Taylor. I am not going to back down because some ignoramouses with little brains can't find anything positive to say. Then again, there's the saying "Don't argue with stupid people because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

So true in your cases.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 21, 2013 07:00

Save your breath sanQ...Some of these posts belong to people who like "image" more than music. To each his own, as I continually remind myself.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 21, 2013 07:08

regarding mt/rw - i don't understand all the vitriol. Both these guys got ripped off by the Stones, as we all well know, and they played their hearts out for us. I'm thankful to both of them, would never wish ill or insult on them, and think it's really cool that they now share the stage.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 21, 2013 07:34

bv
Sounds like some people did not go to many shows in the "old" days. Fact is The Rolling Stones could do an entire tour with the very same set list. That happened. May be the memory is fading... The Rolling Stones are not known for hanging a lot. Keith likes it safe. Mick likes it safe but do try a few noew ones at times. The fans do expect JJF, BS, GS, SFTD etc. Simple as that. If I get Memory Motel and Lady Jane I would be happy, but I do love the Stones whenever and whatever they play.

smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:12

vermontoffender
How is it that Taylorites assume that someone who doesn't particularly enjoy his playing is somehow less aware of aspects of musicianship like taste and feel and band dynamics, etc? The level of snobbery concerning Taylor worshipers is sad and hilarious.

I prefer Ronnie's tone. I much prefer the band dynamic with Ronnie. I definitely prefer Ronnie's taste as a guitarist to Taylor's, but that doesn't mean I think Taylor groupies are morons.

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

I said what I said because of all the idiotic comments here about people not liking Taylor because they hate "long solos". I didn't say it was you, so I don't know why you took it so personally. There was nothing snobby about what I posted, it was a direct response to what several people have said. I stand by my comments 100%. By the way, you know who also thinks the band did its best work with Taylor? Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, and Bill Wyman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 10:19 by 71Tele.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:21

71Tele
vermontoffender

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

I said what I said because of all the idiotic comments here about people not liking Taylor because they hate "long solos". I didn't say it was you, so I don't know why you took it so personally. There was nothing snobby about what I posted, it was a direct response to what several people have said. I stand by my comments 100%. By the way, you know who also thinks the band did its best work with Taylor? Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, and Bill Wyman.

No it was me that said it, and 50+ people like you can`t handle it.

vermontoffender! Post of the month, thank you very much! Spot on!

Date: April 21, 2013 10:28

sanQ
Do I think people who don't like Mick Taylor are morons? Yes I do because you keep fighting a battle without merit. As for those of us who do or have appreciated Mick Taylor's talent, our group includes Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood himself, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Slash, John Mayall and on and on.

Mick Taylor is a hugely influential guitarist. One of the best in the world. But you would rather trade your Aston Martin One-77 worth $1,850,000.
for a Nissan Versa 1.6 S worth $12,780. Don't you see how illogical we find your arguments? You guys don't deserve a respected opinion because you don't have one to offer.

Yes you are sooo right that Mick Taylor doesn't sound good. The professionals should listen to you people who know what good sound is, and are the authorities on what great musicianship is. It's not our fault that you don't know what you're talking about, yet you guys constantly attack Mick Taylor. I am not going to back down because some ignoramouses with little brains can't find anything positive to say. Then again, there's the saying "Don't argue with stupid people because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

So true in your cases.

My god, i never said he is bad guitarplayer. I just don´t like his style of playing, sound etc. And i don´t think he adds anything to Stones version 2013. He is part of history yes, but nothing more today. That´s my opinion. It's pathetic with your comments about little brains etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 10:29 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:46

JumpinJeppeFlash
71Tele
vermontoffender

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

No it was me that said it, and 50+ people like you can`t handle it.

vermontoffender! Post of the month, thank you very much! Spot on!

God bless Mick Taylor. smiling smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:59

BowieStone
JumpinJeppeFlash
BowieStone
JumpinJeppeFlash
sanQ
As a guitarist myself, I know for a fact that Mick Taylor as a guitarist is miles ahead of and better than Ronnie. Ronnie's playing is boring double note leads pretty near all the time. He's spent the last 30 years playing mostly uninspired solos with the exception of the reunion shows where he actually seems to be practicing again. Probably because he's sober.

If anyone is complaining about MT, you are too easily amused musically. Mick Taylor is a musician's musician. For those of us who are also musicians, MT is a welcome addition to hear a man who never plays the same way twice. He's a bootlegger's live recording dream come true and that is so much more appealing. Now don't ruin our enjoyment! You have the last 20 years worth of live recordings if you want to see and hear Ronnie. A change was needed.

Let us enjoy this now.

Who is better and worse is not the thing. I don't like MT:s sound, in fact i think he ruins their sound. Stones sound is not about perfect endless solos. And MT is that kind of guitarplayer. No Les Paul standards on stage please.

Yeah, but what you don't see is that sanQ is a guitarist. Therefore he knows for a fact that Mick T is a better guitar player. What of that don't you understand?
You are talking to a musician, man. Just accept it.
I'm changing my opinion at this moment (although I'm also a guitar player, but I didn't know that we - musicians - must prefer Mick T).[/quot

You are talking to me like i'm i child. Look you don't have to tell me that MT is a better musician than RW. I know a hell lot more about musicians and guitarplayers that you ever could imagine. Point is i don't like a guy with endless perfect solos ruin their sound on stage. It can never be the same as it was in 1969 or 1972 again. MT doesn't add anything to the band in 2013.

Ever heard of something called 'irony'.
I thought it was pretty obvious.

Its doubly ironic now though, isn't it? smiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 21, 2013 11:10

This is a thread about the rehearsals, not about Mick Taylor. OK?

Bjornulf

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 21, 2013 11:45

vermontoffender

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

Hallelujah!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 21, 2013 12:15

bv
This is a thread about the rehearsals, not about Mick Taylor. OK?

Agreed 100%

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: LA Rehearsals
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 21, 2013 12:25

bye bye johnny
Might give too much away, but it would be great if Ronnie posted the daily canvases he does at rehearsals. He put up a couple when he first got on Twitter.

[twitter.com]

What does he mean by "Jesse Ed"? Jesse Ed Davies? He is dead, isn't he? Did he a special version of Get Off Of My Cloud that they copy?

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: April 21, 2013 12:35

patetico Mick Taylor? abbiamo visto Taylor nei 5 concerti quanto è patetico ha dato lezioni a Ronnie e ha fatto volare il brano Midnight Rambler era da tempo che non sentivo una versione così....Ronnie è lui il vero patetico fa sempre le stesse cosette sia con gli stones e fuori dai stones! ma si vede che a qualcuno piace vederlo a fare il clown sul palco, a fumare, e bere, e a fare il figo Rocker......se ascolti brani come sway suonati da lui ti cascano i coglioni tanto per dirne uno...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: April 21, 2013 12:58

wicked67
patetico Mick Taylor? abbiamo visto Taylor nei 5 concerti quanto è patetico ha dato lezioni a Ronnie e ha fatto volare il brano Midnight Rambler era da tempo che non sentivo una versione così....Ronnie è lui il vero patetico fa sempre le stesse cosette sia con gli stones e fuori dai stones! ma si vede che a qualcuno piace vederlo a fare il clown sul palco, a fumare, e bere, e a fare il figo Rocker......se ascolti brani come sway suonati da lui ti cascano i coglioni tanto per dirne uno...
Are you trying to evade Bjornulfs suggestion by writing in italian that Ronnie is truly pathetic?

Date: April 21, 2013 13:00

71Tele
vermontoffender

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

That is a bit of a stretch, LOL! Because they only said the band had its best era then - not that the era was best becuase of Taylor.

My guess is a little of both: Some of the best songs were written back then, as well as they had a good producer and a good lead guitar player.

Without those songs, though, Taylor has never proved his greatness to anyone.

Nice try, though winking smiley

PS: Guys, which guitar player YOU prefer has nothing to do with brains, knowledge or skills - it´s taste. If some people prefer short, biting licks - sounding a bit sharper than the "soft" LP standard for this band - it´s ok, you know. There shouldn´t be any personal prestige in which line up you prefer - and you´ll never get a Taylorite to convert - or vice versa grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 13:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 21, 2013 13:23

PLEASE SOMEONE tape these rehearsals and put the recording so we can actually start to discuss about the music the Stones make in 2013... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: April 21, 2013 14:29

Recordings from Friday:
Keith and Charlie audible only, probably Keith's amp is the closest.

Tumbling Dice

JJF

IORR

Gimme Shelter

Worried About You

Beast of Burden

Pics:

Report (from RocksOff):

It was another cool rehearsal. I got there first and managed to get a wave from Keith as he came in. Eventually the band followed about an hour later. Mick gave us a wave as he passed us in the driveway and then as he left his car and headed inside the rehearsal room.

The first half was pretty standard stuff but they really opened it up after the warhorses with some special songs like "Moonlight Mile" and "Waiting on A Friend." Yesterday was more of an odds-n-ends kind of day, looking for a song that would fit in that "obscure" slot in the show. Today, they simulated a full show and then went looking for more obscurer songs before breaking for the day. They really have a very specific method going about this.

In the middle of rehearsals, Charlie stepped into the office building that was closest to us. We politely waved and called to him and he kindly smiled and waved to us. After a few minutes, he left the office and before walking back to the rehearsal room he walked over to us, greeted us and was available to sign some autographs and pose for pictures with everyone. There were only about 6 or 7 of us But that was a very kind gesture and we also have to thank their security guard for looking out for us. Charlie was very nice and we were all elated.

The rest of the day flew by. They zipped out after a more than 4 hour rehearsal. Unfortunately, this will be my last rehearsal to report. I would honestly go back every day if I could. Hope others can make it and enjoy the tunes. There were 3 or 4 new faces there today than yesterday will probably be more next week...who knows. But anyway...it really was a great experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 14:46 by MoreFastNumbers.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: April 21, 2013 14:50

Thanks a lot for the report. And thank you for giving us something which belongs to THIS threat.

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: April 21, 2013 15:31

vermontoffender
Taylor is wildly overrated, as are his supposed contributions to the band.

I think the Stones would have been every bit as brilliant from '69-'74 with Ronnie in the band as they were with Taylor.

That said, I'm looking forward to hearing how they work Taylor into songs other than Rambler. It could be a catastrophic mess on any number of levels.

I do hope that it goes well, though, and I hope the Taylor fans get what they want from this tour; 39 years is a long time to wait for something that underwhelms.

God bless Ron Wood.

It's quotes like this Vermont offender. You don't have to like him, I understand that, but wildly overrated? They would be every bit as brilliant between 69-74?
Jeppe says the Ron Wood era is the peak? ALL of the band members say this was the best era and they all compliment Mick Taylor's playing. Mick Jagger states in Rolling Stone he had a big influence. I would tend to believe him since he was there.

We know you don't appreciate his musical style and that's ok but those quotes are overrated.

I understand some people come off to critical but all Taylor fans aren't like this. No one is a moron for not liking him.

I am not a snob and respect jeppes and your disliking of his playing. There is nothing wrong with that. I think among musicians they would have a tremendous amount of respect for his playing, let alone many fans as well.

Bernard fowler tweeted yesterday about rehearsals. Are they all present? Including Mick Taylor? Can BV answer that?

Vermont offender where are you from up there? My uncle lives in Hinesburg. It's beautiful up there. I just couldn't stand the winters though.

Enjoy the rehearsals and tour! Keep us posted BV.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: April 21, 2013 16:05

sanQ

So true in your cases.

Interesting. I never met a good musician that started the conversation by telling all the other musicians how great he is and how stupid they are.

Having said that, I'm glad to have rehearsal news, and I think it's great that they have both guitarists for this last phase of the career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 16:15 by texas fan.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: April 21, 2013 16:10

looks like they made a tent to hide away from 'peeps'

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 21, 2013 16:59

Nice videos. Thank you Justin. Nice picture too of Justin with Charlie.
Thanks for posting MoreFastNumbers.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 21, 2013 18:03

JJHMick
What does he mean by "Jesse Ed"? Jesse Ed Davis?

Ronnie's nicknamed one of his guitars Jesse Ed, because it was given to him by Jesse Ed Davis.
I had to look it up (here: [www.iorr.org] ) but it's his TV Yellow LP Special

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 18:15 by with sssoul.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 21, 2013 18:47

Thank you for those videos and photos. Looks like a great time being had in LA. Keep it coming!

Date: April 21, 2013 18:52

Congrats to Justin, and thanks so much for posting! thumbs up

Date: April 21, 2013 19:13

Yeah, many thanks for pics and videos!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 21, 2013 19:32

Many thanks fr he videos & report !
Good to see they are in good shape .

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 21, 2013 20:04

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
vermontoffender

Enjoy the shows!

God bless Ron Wood.

That is a bit of a stretch, LOL! Because they only said the band had its best era then - not that the era was best becuase of Taylor.

My guess is a little of both: Some of the best songs were written back then, as well as they had a good producer and a good lead guitar player.

Without those songs, though, Taylor has never proved his greatness to anyone.

Nice try, though winking smiley

PS: Guys, which guitar player YOU prefer has nothing to do with brains, knowledge or skills - it´s taste. If some people prefer short, biting licks - sounding a bit sharper than the "soft" LP standard for this band - it´s ok, you know. There shouldn´t be any personal prestige in which line up you prefer - and you´ll never get a Taylorite to convert - or vice versa grinning smiley

DP, I do think recent comments by Bill and Charlie especially (as well as comments Mick and Keith have made) indicate that they feel the Taylor era was something special, as do I, as do many people. That's all. If someone prefers something else that's fine by me, and I was not necessarily trying to "convert" anyone. There is a specific strain of anti-Taylor commentary here that repeatedly focuses on solos, as if "I don't like long solos, therefore I don't prefer Taylor". I think it's an inane, argument. Tumbling Dice is Tumbling Dice. The live version with Taylor's solo is exactly as long as the live version with Wood's.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a thread about the rehearsals, so sorry...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 20:08 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home