Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 26
Re: LA Rehearsals
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 18, 2013 23:51

corriecas
GRNRBITW
from an inside source, it's clear that MT is calling the shots at the rehearsals. boy, what a turning point in the band's history!

This remark just shows how full of.....you are. You know nothing

Jeroen

full of what again?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 18, 2013 23:54

LOL...you can almost feel the gnashing of the teeth here these days in regards to Taylor among many of the Vegas era disciples that dominate nowhere else but on less than a handful of message boards and no doubt wonder when "Crossfire Hurricane Part 2" will be released.

Long gone though, are the strong willed assertions "thats Ronnie Wood bending the strings on Plundered My Soul"

smiling smiley

Re: Rehearsals in Los Angeles - with pictures
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 18, 2013 23:58

W.D.& H.O. Wills and John Player,manufacturers of cigarettes and cigars were known as fags (not the cigars),by the working class,(like me), back in the 1800's.

So it was us, over in the U.K that originated it.

Where you got the term from over the pond I don't know.

We were there first. winking smiley

Posted by: Sixsixseveneight ()
Date: April 19, 2013 00:29

SweetThing
LOL...you can almost feel the gnashing of the teeth here these days in regards to Taylor among many of the Vegas era disciples that dominate nowhere else but on less than a handful of message boards and no doubt wonder when "Crossfire Hurricane Part 2" will be released.

Long gone though, are the strong willed assertions "thats Ronnie Wood bending the strings on Plundered My Soul"

smiling smiley

..."Vegas era"?

What on earth is that?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 19, 2013 00:41

Sixsixseveneight
SweetThing

smiling smiley

..."Vegas era"?

What on earth is that?

An idea that got out of hand.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 19, 2013 00:51

Green Lady
Sixsixseveneight
SweetThing

smiling smiley

..."Vegas era"?

What on earth is that?

An idea that got out of hand.

Or, just perhaps, it is one of those aforementioned plateaus. A crescendo reached with upgraded bass player, key board player, and increased lead cigarette entertainment by Mr Richards, and certain fans would have it no other way. I am guessing it must be, as there is some resistance to changing it.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: April 19, 2013 00:58

where are the pictures...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 19, 2013 00:59

where are the pictures...

you don't know what they look like by now?

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: April 19, 2013 01:05

good point smiling smiley, but I am as well interested in the rehersal circumstances.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 19, 2013 01:36

GRNRBITW
Rollin92
JumpinJeppeFlash
Taylor this and Taylor that, he aint that great anymore even if some of you think he is god. I aint one of those, now let's see whos going to attack me first?

I'm inclined to agree with you, I think Woody plays better than Taylor now.

perhaps the stones would oblige the woodyites and taylorites on this tour- and we can once and for all have a bake-off of some kind. both players get to demonstrate their skills on a variety of material. and after the bake-off a show of hands from the audience can determine who's better. i think we've suffered enough lo these many years and it's time for some answers....

On the Exile documentary Bill Wyman said Mick Taylor was a far better musician then anyone in the band, He al so said that they were at their peak and no other band could come lose to them when Taylor was in the band! Yes bring him back for the entire show for every performance.

Date: April 19, 2013 01:38

On the Exile documentary Bill Wyman said Mick Taylor was a far better musician then anyone in the band, He also said that they were at their peak and no other band could come lose to them when Taylor was in the band! Yes bring him back for the entire show for every performance.

Date: April 19, 2013 01:40

PhillyFAN
GRNRBITW
Rollin92
JumpinJeppeFlash
Taylor this and Taylor that, he aint that great anymore even if some of you think he is god. I aint one of those, now let's see whos going to attack me first?

I'm inclined to agree with you, I think Woody plays better than Taylor now.

perhaps the stones would oblige the woodyites and taylorites on this tour- and we can once and for all have a bake-off of some kind. both players get to demonstrate their skills on a variety of material. and after the bake-off a show of hands from the audience can determine who's better. i think we've suffered enough lo these many years and it's time for some answers....

On the Exile documentary Bill Wyman said Mick Taylor was a far better musician then anyone in the band, He al so said that they were at their peak and no other band could come lose to them when Taylor was in the band! Yes bring him back for the entire show for every performance.

Re: Couple of fags
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2013 02:08

latebloomer
I couldn't open this at work cause of the word "fags", the security settings blocked it.

How the heck did you Brits come up with that one for a cigarette?

Probably from medieval English, fagge = remmant. Someone might say if they didn't have their own cigarettes..."leave us your fag(end)......maybe transmuted then to fag (for the whole cigarette)

Maybe.... there's other meanings too........[en.wiktionary.org]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 19, 2013 02:12

EddieByword
latebloomer
I couldn't open this at work cause of the word "fags", the security settings blocked it.

Probably from medieval English, fagge = remmant. Someone might say if they didn't have their own cigarettes..."leave us your fag(end)......maybe transmuted then to fag (for the whole cigarette)

Thank you for that EddieByword, I had assumed my question was hopelessly lost in the general chaos that often passes for conversation here on IORR. cool smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2013 02:22

latebloomer
EddieByword
latebloomer

Thank you for that EddieByword, I had assumed my question was hopelessly lost in the general chaos that often passes for conversation here on IORR. cool smiley

You're welcome...also in case you didn't know, faggots are an ancient food recipe for mostly poor people, years ago,(humble pie was a real food too, all the servants used to get all the leftovers - offal etc - make a pie with tons of herbs to disguise the taste,) [britishfood.about.com] ......I don't know why this article says they're out of favour, I see them in the supermarket all the time. And buy them, faggots and peas, mashed potatoes and gravy, lovely.......

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: April 19, 2013 02:23

Sixsixseveneight
Blackdog
BluzDude
JumpinJeppeFlash
jivingsister
JumpinJeppeFlash
jivingsister
The Stones were at their peak when Mick T was in the band. Maybe you should go back and listen to the ablums and bootlegs when he was in the band. Their sound was incredible. They would not be asking him to return if he was not an asset to the band. I am hoping to hear him play on many songs.

Well, that's your opinion, in my opinion their peak is the Ronnie era. It's a matter of taste and i prefer the sound of Ronnies guitar. I don't like MT:s guitarsound that much.

While you are entitled to your opinion, the Ron Wood Era is not the peak of the RS. Ever heard of Sticky Fingers and Exile? The 1972 tour? If MT was a medicore guitarist they would not be asking him on their current tour. He adds another dimension that has been missing since his departure.

Never said MT is a mediocre guitarist, but i don't like his sound. In my opinion there are tours way better than 72 and they don't need MT at all, his part of the history sure, but he is not a member of the band these days. Ronnie is a stone, MT is not.

That's when the Stones were at their songwriting best. It just so happens that Taylor was in the band at the time. Yes I think Taylor is a great guitarist, but I don't believe he is the reason for the Stones success for that era. As for me personally, I would love to see the 3 guitarists on stage for a good portion of the show.

I agree BluzDude with what you said. Mick Taylor helped the Stones make some great albums. Beggars Banquet is a great album without Taylor. I think he made them into an electrifying LIVE band. From 69-75 they were incredible playing live on stage. When I play a bootleg from that era people go who is that playing the guitar, Keith? No, I say Mick Taylor. I like the Stones from 62-75. I like a few songs after that Hand of fate, Waiting on a friend and a few others. I am hoping for at least 5 songs. I am in for Chicago, Toronto and both Philly shows.

...Taylor was gone in 75.

Really? I did not know that! I am sorry December 21, 1974. I am well aware he was not on the 1975 tour. You can tell by listening to the live boots.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 19, 2013 03:15

What a bunch of wasted space in this thread.
300 posts and only one is on topic.

Date: April 19, 2013 03:16

boston2006
Just got this on my FB page .

Setlist from yesterday's rehearsal...

Get Off My Cloud
The Last Time
Its Only Rock N Roll
... Paint It Black
Wild Horses
Dead Flowers
Sway
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Worried About You
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (bits and pieces)
Miss You
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash (stopped)
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Fool To Cry
Memory Motel
I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Sorry , I hadn't noticed this info had already been posted confused smiley

Date: April 19, 2013 03:24

Max'sKansasCity

You are right Max, but bv did some housecleaning and put together a few threads into this sticky, so I think that's another reason it's all over the place.

My original post here was on a thread titled Couple of fags. I was surprised to see it pop up here until I remembered that the thread had to do with Keith and Ronnie smoking cigarettes outside rehearsals.

Date: April 19, 2013 03:42

latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

You are right Max, but bv did some housecleaning and put together a few threads into this sticky, so I think that's another reason it's all over the place.

My original post here was on a thread titled Couple of fags. I was surprised to see it pop up here until I remembered that the thread had to do with Keith and Ronnie smoking cigarettes outside rehearsals.

Your question was actually a good one, I always wondered that too, but never cared enough to ask. I was more talking about number of people here itching to pick a fight for no real reason, turning it into kind of a nasty thread.... when considering the topic it should be one of the best.

Date: April 19, 2013 03:53

Max'sKansasCity
latebloomer
Max'sKansasCity

Your question was actually a good one, I always wondered that too, but never cared enough to ask. I was more talking about number of people here itching to pick a fight for no real reason, turning it into kind of a nasty thread.... when considering the topic it should be one of the best.

Very true. It's really not complicated, don't know why some are making a stink over not posting the location. BV is right to err on the side of caution imo. In any case, if someone really wants to find out it seems there are plenty of ways to do it besides looking here.

Date: April 19, 2013 04:02

Max'sKansasCity
SWAY smoking smiley

and even the cool cats purrrrrrred.... SWAY

At 2:50 Jagger points at Ron, and he goes off w/ that SG. Great sound, good solo, better than the thin Strat sound he has been favoring. What ever RW did to reclaim his balls - I hope he keeps it up.

Date: April 19, 2013 04:10

Palace Revolution 2000
Max'sKansasCity
SWAY smoking smiley

and even the cool cats purrrrrrred.... SWAY

At 2:50 Jagger points at Ron, and he goes off w/ that SG. Great sound, good solo, better than the thin Strat sound he has been favoring. What ever RW did to reclaim his balls - I hope he keeps it up.
smileys with beer Great Ronnie on a great guitar on a great song! smileys with beer

On Bigger Bang tour I really really really wanted to hear SWAY played live... 1st date in Boston opening night? no Sway... 2nd date... NOPE!... then we had to drive to bmfk Little Rock fknsaw... and No Sway..... then we drove up to Omafknha... and no sway again!!! DAMN IT!!! Then we drove down to fknwichita, last chance... and finally I heard those opening notes, it was so awesome. A really great rendition a great song, and my Jones was satisfied.... finally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-19 04:31 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 19, 2013 05:00

I hope they don't play Heard it Through the Grapevine, for all the great songs they've written why cover this stupid song. Would be just as bad as Love Train, Mr. Pitiful and all the other covers that are dominated by horns.

If their going to play a cover why not one of the covers they are known for like I'm A King Bee, Around and Around and so many others.

Posted by: benroyblenkle ()
Date: April 19, 2013 05:26

benroyblenkle
tongue sticking out smiley

anyone wanna go hang out and watch them rehearse?

HA! Yeah Right!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-19 06:04 by benroyblenkle.

Date: April 19, 2013 05:37

Date: April 19, 2013 05:39

Date: April 19, 2013 05:40

Date: April 19, 2013 05:41