Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 26
Re: Rehearsals in Los Angeles - with pictures
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 22, 2013 22:04

If Taylor is going to be playing on more than Midnight Rambler you would expect him to have arrived for what is the last week of rehearsals. I know he is more than capable of learning the solos in isolation but for things to really gel he needs to be with the boys for a while.

Is Lisa there yet, we've seen Bernard but as yet nothing from Lisa - unless I've missed something?

Date: April 22, 2013 22:07

I think Lisa has been busy with a project, but she should be there by now.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 22, 2013 22:14

Seems to be no Lisa,no Bobby Keys and horns section,no MT which makes some of us think he will only play a small part on the tour,(I disagree)and no Bill and Blondie,who are long forgotten.
Things will be a lot clearer this week. winking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 22, 2013 22:49

crumbling_mice
If Taylor is going to be playing on more than Midnight Rambler you would expect him to have arrived for what is the last week of rehearsals. I know he is more than capable of learning the solos in isolation but for things to really gel he needs to be with the boys for a while.

Is Lisa there yet, we've seen Bernard but as yet nothing from Lisa - unless I've missed something?

Apparently not but for the 2012 shows she (along with Bobby Keyes and Tim Ries) only rehearsed with them in London, not in Paris.

Yes I think they're not taking Taylor's participation very seriously after all...or rather as a way to get people interested more than for the actual musical performance, but then what else is new?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 23:04 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 22, 2013 22:57

Hopefully about 4PM Pacific time we will see if anyone else will be joining the rehearsals. Justin and I won't be there. Hopefully Dan will be around.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:06

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.
I'm off to bed soon in Espana after a busy day.

Adios Amigos. >grinning smiley<

Date: April 22, 2013 23:07

Your rehearsal reports have been highly appreciated, BluzDude and Justin! thumbs up

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:11

DandelionPowderman
Your rehearsal reports have been highly appreciated, BluzDude and Justin! thumbs up

Two from me thumbs upthumbs up great job guys

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 23, 2013 00:07

DandelionPowderman
GRNRBITW
DandelionPowderman
It´s cool that they´re rehearsing Beast Of Burden again thumbs up

i think it sucks that they have to rehearse a song they should be able to play in their sleep. i think there must be another reason for this....theories?

Keith needs to re-rember that riff. After all, he´s been playing it wrongly since 94... Judging by the rehearsal clips he still hasn´t found a way around it. Keep it up, Keith! You´ll get it right for the 60th anniversary...

The riff is incredibly simple. Probably half the members of IORR could learn it in under an hour, if they don't already know it. Like so many Stones songs, the genius of the riff is not its technical difficulty, but the creation of it in the first place. I'm not saying that it's easy to play it the way Keith did, but rather that the issue is NOT Keith not being able to play the riff, or having forgotten it. If he's not playing the riff, it's because he doesn't want to.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 23, 2013 00:19

sonomastone
DandelionPowderman
GRNRBITW
DandelionPowderman
It´s cool that they´re rehearsing Beast Of Burden again thumbs up

i think it sucks that they have to rehearse a song they should be able to play in their sleep. i think there must be another reason for this....theories?

Keith needs to re-rember that riff. After all, he´s been playing it wrongly since 94... Judging by the rehearsal clips he still hasn´t found a way around it. Keep it up, Keith! You´ll get it right for the 60th anniversary...

The riff is incredibly simple. Probably half the members of IORR could learn it in under an hour, if they don't already know it. Like so many Stones songs, the genius of the riff is not its technical difficulty, but the creation of it in the first place. I'm not saying that it's easy to play it the way Keith did, but rather that the issue is NOT Keith not being able to play the riff, or having forgotten it. If he's not playing the riff, it's because he doesn't want to.

Break out the Happy Traum books Keith...get it right

Date: April 23, 2013 00:31

Big thanks to Bluzdude and his accomplices for the reports, the photos and the music...really made me feel like I was close to it all despite being in good old Blightly!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 23, 2013 01:02

Drummer Steve Ferrone posted some photos taken last week:

Abe Laboriel Jr., Charlie, Paul McCartney, Jim Keltner, Steve Ferrone, Will Lee

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 23, 2013 05:21

I've heard Taylor is going to play CYHMK. Moonlight Mile, Sway and Midnight Rambler...maybe not all four on one night...I think CYHMK and Rambler won't be plaed in the same set.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 23, 2013 08:00

Today was a little tougher. A lot more trucks coming and going, and Dinosaur Jr's tour bus and trailer parked for several hours a few feet away while their equipment was unloaded into the studio complex. We had a hard time trying to decipher the music under the din. Charlie's bodyguard even came out and said "tell them to turn off the bus so you can hear." I told a few people Burbank PD's number and dared them to report the bus was parked in the red. The roadies finally wished the driver safe travels and everyone departed. A studio employee did mistake the roadies for Stones fans and told them to get off the property. Or maybe recognized them as Dinosaur Jr roadies and figured they had enough time to take care of business.

The band was already inside when I got there but I don't appear to have missed anything. Due to the noise it was hard to hear at times. Some people insist they heard Dance Little Sister but I am pretty sure they imagined out of a possible rendition of I Heard It Through The Grapevine. On the other side of the driveway was at least 2 Studio Waggon trailers. One person claimed to have seen Shakira walk in one while everyone was looking toward the studio.

More people outside than any day and I feel the idiot factor is rising.

Biggest surprise of the evening is that Dinosaur Jr can still use a tour bus.

Tumbling Dice

Bitch

Honky Tonk Women

Rocks Off

That's How Strong My Love Is

Brown Sugar

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (?)

All Down The Line

She Was Hot

She Was Hot (interrupted and restarted in the middle)

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

I Heard It Through The Grapevine (?)

Loving Cup

Sway

If You Can't Rock Me

Shine A Light

Moonlight Mile

Get Off My Cloud

The Last Time

No Expectations

Some Girls

She's So Cold

Respectable (stopped and restarted from beginning)

Rip This Joint

Live With Me

I see Chuck exit, show him a really ridiculous yet sincere request sign, get a thumbs off and figure it's over and decide to head home though I did flash my More Mick Taylor sign at Mick Jagger's car going down Hollywood Way. Like an almost 70 year old man could see a sign from a speeding car with tinted windows from a few lanes away.

People seem to think Mick Jagger reads the fan boards. If he is reading these reports he should know that at least one person hanging around outside doesn't want an autograph, doesn't want a photo op, doesn't want any personal acknowledgement whatsoever. After spending way too much money on tickets, he just hopes to hear Mick Taylor do more than an unrehearsed appearance noodling over one song.

This is tedious, this is painful, this is fun, this is a compulsion.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 23, 2013 08:14

Dan THE Man!!!
Tnx!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 23, 2013 08:36

Dan, you've got to write for publication. Like the way you tell a tale.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: April 23, 2013 08:42

Deleted by poster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-23 08:47 by donnarq1.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:04

Thanks Dan for your great story

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:11

Dan

People seem to think Mick Jagger reads the fan boards. If he is reading these reports he should know that at least one person hanging around outside doesn't want an autograph, doesn't want a photo op, doesn't want any personal acknowledgement whatsoever. After spending way too much money on tickets, he just hopes to hear Mick Taylor do more than an unrehearsed appearance noodling over one song.

This is tedious, this is painful, this is fun, this is a compulsion.

Great Dan. Thanks for being our eyes and ears. Hang in there!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:27

Jesus, great rehearsal. See, they don't really have to do THAT much to make me happy. Just throw in some other great tracks that everyone knows and that would be enough for me. These songs aren't that rare, but I'd still love to see them played regularly:

Bitch

Rocks Off

That's How Strong My Love Is

Loving Cup

Sway

If You Can't Rock Me

Shine A Light

Moonlight Mile

Get Off My Cloud

No Expectations

Some Girls

Respectable (stopped and restarted from beginning)

Rip This Joint

Come on, its awesome to see some of those in there! Rip This Join! No Expectations! Rocks Off, Moonlight Mile, If You Can't Rock Me! All you need is Mick Taylor (although I'd certainly take these songs without him).

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:58

Rip This Joint! Keith will have a heart attack....

Date: April 23, 2013 11:35

Vocalion

I was just thinking the same thing, that is one hell of a fast song and I just can't see Keith playing it at the recorded speed. Ronnie no doubt will have to take the rhythm on that one!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 23, 2013 11:59

crumbling_mice
Vocalion

I was just thinking the same thing, that is one hell of a fast song and I just can't see Keith playing it at the recorded speed. Ronnie no doubt will have to take the rhythm on that one!

Keith sounds pretty sharp to me on the snippets we've gotten from the rehearsals...

Date: April 23, 2013 12:17

crumbling_mice
Vocalion

A walk in the park for Keith now, don't worry smiling smiley

BTW, it's Chuck who is counting, not Keith.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 23, 2013 15:33

There are far too many great Rolling Stones' songs for them to bother with covers. Speaking of Rip This Joint - I'll take that over any possible cover they would consider.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 23, 2013 15:46

Speaking of covers, I love their version of Just My Imagination.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 23, 2013 16:47

Thanks for the report, a great read too! So no Taylor...he'll be lucky if he gets to rehearse as much as Lisa it seems!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 23, 2013 17:19

covering 'Grapevine'? hmmm...

love the Gladys Knight & the Pips version..

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 23, 2013 17:26

duke richardson
covering 'Grapevine'? hmmm...

it's in the "vegas act" guidelines

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 23, 2013 17:30

BIG thanks to Dan for another informative and entertaining update.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 26

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home