Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 77
Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 14, 2014 21:41

desertblues68
Why don' t they play Sweet Virginia anymore? Oh my God, I have turned into my mother!

You're right, son, it's one of their best songs.

love
Mom.

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 14, 2014 21:46

Sweet Virginia is the last song I've never heard that there's a legitimate shot to hear.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2014 00:15

Doxa
Since I can't any longer figure out what is appropriate to say in other threads concerning these recent performances, I use the safe option and use this thread. The last place for a free talk and offering varying opinions?grinning smiley

I praised "Street Fighting Man" in Shanghai's thread, expecially Mick and Keith's contribution, now a few critical word. Man, I hear there a hole! I hear there something I don't especially like, and that is Chuck Leavell's piano doing those anti-climax-like, harmless but not-exciting runs in the final part of the song, during the part in which the whole song suppose to turns into a thunder storm. Remove that mickey mouse crap out and add Taylor there to do his thing and play his heart out! He knows how to this carry this gem into climax. THere is a clear job for him to do. Move this classic into guitar fiesta - three guitars on fire - and no hostages. The song offers a perfect template for that.

The same I would say of "Dead Flowers". It is okay now, especially Jagger sings it beautifully with his matured voice, but what I miss there is a guy making a regular c&w reading of the song something more cross-stylistic. More unique with some extra Stones-punch. A counter force. They are not trying to take part in some Nashville C&W competions for authentic hillbilly bands, right (and no matter how much they would try, they wouldn't do very well, thankfully...)?>grinning smiley<

Okay, a fan boy wish talk I know I know - most likely neither of the songs is going to be played again during this tour, so all of this is very pointless 'whining' with no any realistic ground.

But let this opinion still to be heard!winking smiley

- Doxa

I'd suggested the same thing, put MT on DF and Dandelion tried to beat me up. He really did.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:41

Darn, another sorry set list

Posted by: anna ()
Date: April 18, 2014 00:33

Hi, smiling bouncing smiley
I have tickets for the concert in MAdrid, because some friends can't come. It's very good site.
I'm from Barcelona, Spain.
If someone needs mi e-mail is mixamelie@gmail.com.
Thanks.

what were the rehearsals for again ?
Posted by: 2000 LIGHT ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:52

Why all this rehearsals for in february for ending with this kind of set list ?

They have been playing each tune a minimum of 2000 time .

Yeah i know they sounded terrific and bla and bla ....

Re: what were the rehearsals for again ?
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:57

BV Close this Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only praise for The Stones is allowed here. Pay your U.S. $2000 and shut up!

Just kidding. But criticizing the Set List and guitar playing will get you a lot of grief around here.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 3, 2014 16:58

Enjoy em cause when it's over, we get cover bands. No one can do JJF like Mick.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:01

Actually, I think that is a very legitimate question.

Date: July 3, 2014 17:03

2000 LIGHT

I think that the songs played at the rehearsals are the songs that they want to play and feel like playing. These set lists seem to be determined by other factors >>>> at least to some degree.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:05

Oh No, Not This Again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-03 17:06 by 1962.

Date: July 3, 2014 17:08

Stupidest thread ever?

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:08

Oh no, not this again

I can´t for my life understand why some people have to contribute to threads that they clearly dislikes.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:21

When they play the USA in the future, we will see if they go back to 21-22 song setlists.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:24

2000 LIGHT

Well you had to be there if you wanted to hear the rare stuff... <snarky answer>

Another answer would be : they do exactly what they do. If they wanna rehearse 70 tunes and play only 25 that's their right. If the band wants to try an old song they shouldn't be blamed - months later - for not including said tune in the setlist.
Rehearsals have "privacy" associated to them : ideally we shouldn't even know what was played inside these walls.

In that London tiny space in May who knows what was played? Nobody! Maybe they rehearsed TWFN...? eye popping smiley

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:33

They ought to "accidentally" leave the doors open, turn up the sound, etc. maybe on one of those days where MT is with them, so we could get some great stuff ala Woodstock 78. The fans who are dying for the rare songs that they rehearse, or a three guitar lineup get their fix, and then they can go back to the same old, same old setlists and everybody wins. The world didn't end in the past when rehearsals leaked out.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:37

Winning Ugly VXII
2000 LIGHT

I think that the songs played at the rehearsals are the songs that they want to play and feel like playing. These set lists seem to be determined by other factors >>>> at least to some degree.

This is it, playing to the gallery, if they'd been doing that in 60's/70's they'd never have written Exile (replace with whatever comes to mind pre 1989)......Steel wheels on was the transition period from that to 40 licks + 4 and finally Doom & Gloom & One More Shit.............they play them so well but it's still a tragic insipid end. confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-03 17:40 by EddieByword.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:42

Svartmer
Oh no, not this again

I can´t for my life understand why some people have to contribute to threads that they clearly dislikes.

True, it's the mirror image of people posting in the live show thread mid-show that the concert sucks based on the setlist. That really makes no sense. At least wait until it's over. But I digress.

I think the best answer to that question is that the Stones need a few days to limber up and go over some cues in the "warhorse" tunes before starting a new leg.
And get used to laying together because chances are they have barely seen each other in their downtime.

The may practice up a few songs to rotate in "fan vote" slot but that is not as intensive as the previous tours where they were trying to create a new "show" every time.

Even by the of Bigger Bang their rehearsals were down to something like four weeks from somewhere around eight for Licks, so really even then you could see the desire to mine the depths of the catalogue receding.

So basically it's all about rehearsing two or three spots slot in the setlist.

On this leg:

Song 7 started out as Emotional Rescue but switched to Out Of Control (good call, btw!)

As usual, the first couple of shows toyed around with different upbeat numbers at the start (ADTL in Oslo, LWM in Lisbon) before settling into the usual YGMR or IORR rut. Lesson here, the early shows in the leg may have more surprises at the start, but later shows feature tighter performances usually. Weigh that out as needed when deciding which show to go and see or make like BV and see them all.

That leaves the ballad spot next for which we got WAY (3x), WH (3x), Angie (4x)
WAOF (1x) and SOL (Street Of Love or Shit out of Luck depending on your point of view) once, with Mick Taylor, betcha never saw that one coming!

So that's five extra songs this leg outside of the warhorses right there, six with OOC.

Which brings us to the "fan vote".

Here they played: LSTNT (2x), Respectable (2x), GOOMC (2x), Rocks Off, Bitch, SFM,
Like A Rolling Stone, It's All Over Now & ADTL.

So the total of different tunes goes up to 14, or basically one per show.

Well, rehearsing 14 tunes should only take a couple of weeks.
(OK, maybe a little longer considering some of the performances, but you get the idea.)

So that's what the rehearsals are for.

I'm sure some intrepid fan could piece together a pretty cool youtube playlist from all that and make a virtual Stones set to their, erm...Satisfaction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-03 17:45 by andrewt.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 3, 2014 17:44

Oh man... those Hiltler "Downfall" parodies could have worked great for summing up these type of discussions. Could have been a killer - also a killer for the user who did them. Well... its so much 2007 doing them so no point anyway.

Date: July 3, 2014 17:46

Anyone who does not want to hear Time Waits For No One with Mick Taylor leave this room!

Date: July 3, 2014 17:50

StonesCat
They ought to "accidentally" leave the doors open, turn up the sound, etc. maybe on one of those days where MT is with them, so we could get some great stuff ala Woodstock 78. The fans who are dying for the rare songs that they rehearse, or a three guitar lineup get their fix, and then they can go back to the same old, same old setlists and everybody wins. The world didn't end in the past when rehearsals leaked out.

They did that in Toronto in 2002 for the first few days. It was great.
I got to hear Slave live, among others.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 3, 2014 18:00

my two cents to this question is ,1 to practice in order to get in SHAPE to do a two hour preformance , 2 to dust off a rare track or two for the song vote, 3 the stones are people just like everybody else so they like to have fun while at work (Practice) so they want to play different songs in practice to create BUZZ AND SELL TICKETS to the concerts. everybody who posts here should know what the standard stones setlist looks like ! after all these tours we should all know the glimmers MODUS OPERANDI by now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 3, 2014 18:04

I believe they rehearse rare material partially to see which songs they can play well and partially for their own enjoyment. There is no calculation involved the people outside the rehearsals and us privy to the info amount to a very few....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 18:10

Yes, the setlists are static and pretty lame. Yet, rehearsals are not necessarily just to run through new songs, but for the band to play together, coordinate with the stage, and get their rust loosened.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 3, 2014 18:20

DandelionPowderman
Stupidest thread ever?

Not by a long shot.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 3, 2014 18:42

Knowing the boys as I do, they will probably release the rare MT rehearsal stuff in 2020 in yet another way to cash in!!! smiling smiley Still love 'em though and yes, I'll be the first one to buy it...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 3, 2014 18:50

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:14

Setlist whiners unite, ha-ha. But really this subject is as serious as it is foolish in my opinion. I've been thinking about that Mick/Charlie "Monty Mython" video and of course I get the humour but it's also a slap in the face at the same time. Something that bothers me about the setlist is how few cities got to hear rarities with Mick Taylor and most didn't. Why not? This is misleading to me because I'm under the impression if I go to a few gigs I'm likely to experience something unusual once in a while. Now of course I realize they're not like Springsteen and Dylan but they did create this expectation over the years, at least in a small way. Sometimes I prefer Macca, Deep Purple and other bands on this subject because they keep the same setlist through the tour. Macca is especially great because he throws in 4 rare songs each tour and we all get to experience them. Anyhow it was great to see them play so well this month even if the setlists were boring. Mixed Emotions, pun intended.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:20

Please not again.

Date: July 3, 2014 20:43

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Stupidest thread ever?

Not by a long shot.

Oh yes.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home