Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 77
Re: what were the rehearsals for again ?
Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:49

The Tokyo soundcheck tells you all you really need to know. They were trying "Silver Train," and they couldn't get the staggered "Did not know her, did not know her name" chorus part together, where sometimes it's done once and sometimes it's twice -- so they dropped it. Listen to it carefully on the recording. Mick and Chuck are communicating the whole time, and sound like they pretty much have it down; it's *someone else* in the band that seems to have a problem with learning the change-up, or executing it...

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 3, 2014 20:51

Mick, please do the Dead Parrot sketch tonight!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:02

Silver Train isn't the only thing on my mind. I figured that was a try-out gone wrong. I can live with that. But they did play CYHMK beautifully a few times. They could have rotated this with MR every other gig. That would have been fair all the way around in my opinion as both of these songs could be considered not suitable for "warhorse only" crowds. Oh well, it's done now. I think next tour I'll go only once so I can avoid disapointment. For those of you that love anything they play more power to you. Keep in mind we're not all the same, we're all fans and should be able to tolerate each others comments and opinions.

Date: July 3, 2014 21:10

frankotero
Silver Train isn't the only thing on my mind. I figured that was a try-out gone wrong. I can live with that. But they did play CYHMK beautifully a few times. They could have rotated this with MR every other gig. That would have been fair all the way around in my opinion as both of these songs could be considered not suitable for "warhorse only" crowds. Oh well, it's done now. I think next tour I'll go only once so I can avoid disapointment. For those of you that love anything they play more power to you. Keep in mind we're not all the same, we're all fans and should be able to tolerate each others comments and opinions.

Obviously, you haven't heard the CYHMK rehearsals..

Date: July 3, 2014 21:21

How about Glastonbury CYHMK? Sounded very good to my ears.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:37

Micks way to keep the rest of the band from falling off the deep end.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:43

Last time I checked, rehearsals were a PRIVATE affair just for the band. They didn't sell tickets for fans to attend, they did not publicly post on their website or Facebook what songs they rehearsed or made any promises or hints that they would play any of those songs. We only know what they played thanks to the dedicated fans who waited outside the venue. Save for rehearsing in a soundproof vacuum so no one outside the band could hear what they were doing--the band isn't guilty of anything. It wasn't our business to know what they played--but we eventually found out. That's not their problem. It's ours. We made up fantasy setlists and gushed over each song they rehearsed. They don't owe fans anything.

The Stones have settled into a routine that happens to be working for them. Like it or not, they have found a way to deliver high quality shows without any risk (newer songs = risk). At this stage of the game, they are relying on this formula to get them through the tour. If you're waiting for rare odd songs, you're wasting your time following this band at this point. Accept it and move on. If you're still impressed by consistent, surprisingly cohesive musicianship then keep paying attention because that's exactly where they are at the moment.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:46

DandelionPowderman
frankotero

Obviously, you haven't heard the CYHMK rehearsals..

We get it, you were there, but it's kind of like telling Michael Jordan or some athlete, "I know you're an all star, but you couldn't make a basket to save your life in practice today, so don't shoot during the game tonight." Nothing in any of the actual performances was less than good, and most were great. Then, on the other hand, Keith will chunk an opening riff on a warhorse, but hey, that's just Keith, he's doing the best he can. Don't think about not performing such and such song. Yet here, if he can't hit it exact, ITS A BIG DEAL.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:46

frankotero
How about Glastonbury CYHMK? Sounded very good to my ears.
the best CYHMK OF THE WHOLE TOUR

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:53

2000 LIGHT

Yeah i know they sounded terrific

Yes they did. Right on mate smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 3, 2014 21:54

BTW, I think rehearsals are meant just for what they are ... rehearsals

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:00

Justin
Last time I checked, rehearsals were a PRIVATE affair just for the band. They didn't sell tickets for fans to attend, they did not publicly post on their website or Facebook what songs they rehearsed or made any promises or hints that they would play any of those songs. We only know what they played thanks to the dedicated fans who waited outside the venue. Save for rehearsing in a soundproof vacuum so no one outside the band could hear what they were doing--the band isn't guilty of anything. It wasn't our business to know what they played--but we eventually found out. That's not their problem. It's ours. We made up fantasy setlists and gushed over each song they rehearsed. They don't owe fans anything.

The Stones have settled into a routine that happens to be working for them. Like it or not, they have found a way to deliver high quality shows without any risk (newer songs = risk). At this stage of the game, they are relying on this formula to get them through the tour. If you're waiting for rare odd songs, you're wasting your time following this band at this point. Accept it and move on. If you're still impressed by consistent, surprisingly cohesive musicianship then keep paying attention because that's exactly where they are at the moment.

Sums it up perfectly.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:01

I admit it's a bit sad to think that the fans who got to hear MMile with Mick Taylor on lead guitar (and what a lead guitar!) amounted to 30-50 but c'est la vie!
The only hope we have is to see Mick leak some of these Feb. 2014 "Paris" rehearsals on the Net. thumbs up
Mp3's will do. winking smiley

Date: July 3, 2014 22:02

I've learned since the Licks Tour that rehearsals don't reflect potential setlist, and I get the "private affair" perspective also. However, when they play a few of these songs occasionally in concert that gives the impression that they're going to give surprises during a tour. If they stopped doing this years ago I wouldn't of had any expectations this year, but since they did it up to 2013 I had hopes, like many others I suspect. At this point I do accept it as mentioned above. That's why I said next time I'll go to one gig only and be happy that. I don't need to spend loads of money and time hoping they'll play something special. Basically I should probably thank them for this. Again, I'm happy you guys are satisfied by what you have experienced. Having a good time is what it's all about in the end. Cheers.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 3, 2014 22:07

Practice makes perfect!

Date: July 4, 2014 02:15

She's So Cold was fantastic tonight. That's what the rehearsals are for thumbs up

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 4, 2014 02:31

DandelionPowderman
She's So Cold was fantastic tonight. That's what the rehearsals are for thumbs up

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 4, 2014 02:38

DandelionPowderman

Good to hear!

That one can be shaky, though I love it.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 4, 2014 12:54

I would like to say on this complaints thread ( although not strictly a complaint) that in relation to the extremely important matter of Keith's wardrobe on this tour: it was not his best;

however in mitigation, it improved significantly (in response to IORR of course ...) in the ditching of the blue jacket ( finally ) and replacement with a slightly less ghastly black one and the occasional use of a sparkly necklace which covered his stomach.
I would like to personally thank whichever woman who advised him to do the right thing ( jane Rose, Patti, Theo - even Anita maybe )
His nice silk shirts and sashes and AD green sparkly and Jamaican bandannas can stay.

( an alternative theory is that he continues to put on what ever comes to hand and feels comfortable and does not care a jot what anyone thinks ) Go Keef!

Re: The ticket prices and other complaints thread
Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 07:44

Ya gotta ask yourself if you were the rolling stones what would you charge at this point of the game?

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 5, 2014 09:17

I hope Keef ditches the sunnies for Australia.
I want to see his eyes.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 5, 2014 11:08

EJM
I would like to say on this complaints thread ( although not strictly a complaint) that in relation to the extremely important matter of Keith's wardrobe on this tour: it was not his best;

This somehow reminds me an Miles Davis anecdote from the 50's that I've read a long time ago. He and his band were invited to play in a club somewhere and when they went to the club, the owner complainted at Miles because of the suits they were wearing. The owner wanted a band dressed the very same way (just like Duke Ellington's band and another jazz bands in the 40's, for instance). Miles went out of the club, returned later to the backstage, and when it was their time to be onstage, Miles appeared alone with 5 hanging suits, and told the audience: "somebody told me he prefered to see 5 suits on stage, so here you've got it." smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 11:16 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 5, 2014 11:17

Well it adds some variety to ticket price and set list complaints

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:00

vertigojoe
The two major complaints on this board are over and over again, set list choice and ticket price.
These things are inextricably linked to each other.
Charge that kind of money and you HAVE to play the hits and nothing but the hits.
Kinda obvious isn't it?

No!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 10, 2014 10:57

vertigojoe
The two major complaints on this board are over and over again, set list choice and ticket price.
These things are inextricably linked to each other.
Charge that kind of money and you HAVE to play the hits and nothing but the hits.
Kinda obvious isn't it?

Smart rhetorics, it might appear. However, that is only apparently. In passing, I for one have not complained about ticket prices.

But I had been willing to pay the double of my two Golden Circle tickets (Oslo, Stockholm) to be able to attend two concerts announced as comprising songs only from the latest three studio albums, plus a potential new studio album. Preferably, with Mick Taylor on stage all the time.

As encores exclusively, might be included extra issued songs from the new editions of the old albums.

Would I be the only one interested in one or two such concerts? I would gladly travel to London to be present on such defined occasions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-10 10:58 by Witness.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 10, 2014 19:51

Justin
If you're still impressed by consistent, surprisingly cohesive musicianship then keep paying attention because that's exactly where they are at the moment.
yeah, and i happen to like it. yes i do

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 10, 2014 20:14

My only complaint is not playing smaller venues too.

Charge $1k+ a ticket if you have to.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 10, 2014 21:44

Justin

I agree with you on everything except the whole "not owing fans anything" comment. Honestly, I think they owe us big time. All of us are the reason the Stones are wealthy superstars. We, the larger collective of fans, are the Stones' employer. After 30+ years of buying every single thing they have ever put out, the LEAST they could do on a big anniversary tour, is to simply play a wider variety of material. Instead, they did stadium setlists in arenas in the US, and charged offensive prices.

You are spot on about us building up a dream. It is the ultimate in scarecrow-setlists... The Stones are not making any ambitious claims and then failing to deliver. They are playing what they feel like playing, and the selection happens to be hit-heavy.

The time for ambitious setlists was apparently the Licks tour, although ABB had some amazing moments of brilliance.

The Thrill is Gone..
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: April 24, 2015 01:55

ok, not completely - if they were playing in the NYC area, I would probably see them again, but this ride started for me in 1978 (JFK, Philly), and may just be over... my top reasons for not seeing them this go around (besides the 5 hour drive to Pittsburgh or Buffalo):
- saw them twice on GRR / 50th tour (Brooklyn, Philly)
- same old song and dance - there's only 2 maybe 3 songs that are of any interest to me in the setlist they'll probably be strutting out - I've heard JJF et al enough times live to last me a lifetime. I hope they prove me wrong, but to me No Security was the last great tour by this band.
- ticket prices
- the possibility that Keif will be singing 3 songs, a la end of Oz tour
- no Bobby K.
- no Mick T.

Thanks for the memories, guys - I'll love you forever!!!

Re: The Thrill is Gone..
Date: April 24, 2015 02:06

I agree with usted.me settle with them one more time in Buenos Aires , albeit as usual , but what I most want is a more serious album .my dream one last double album .

thanks
Bs.As.Stones

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home