Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 49
Re: Billboard: Rolling Stones To Play London, Brooklyn In November
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:35

Is the £25 million just pure press speculation ? It's all guess work at the moment.

As I've said before , they struggled to sell out 3 nights at the 02 in 2007 when people (thought they) had plenty if disposable income to blow. 5 years into a recession with no end in sight, things are a bit different. Don't see them getting away with too many 2007 top price tiers this time, never mind the rumoured doubling of prices.eye popping smiley

PS for the record I intend to go to all 4 shows if at all possible >grinning smiley<

sc uk

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:39

Is it too presumptious of me to ask this question?
Let me know.

Thanks.
And here's one more question:
Why would the greatest minds in the music business risk a non-sell out show by over pricing the tickets?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:46

If I have something to celebrate I invite people for free grinning smiley ...maybe I should change my mind....

Date: September 3, 2012 16:06

Kurt
Let me know.

Thanks.
Why would the greatest minds in the music business risk a non-sell out show by over pricing the tickets?

They will just move the stage forward and tarp off the nosebleeds .It will look full whatever.

The answer to your question IMHO is "yes"

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 16:12

I know that's a bit naive, but... that always sounds a bit weird to see that millionaires like Jagger would still negociate a few millions to perform a few shows. When your fortune nears $500m, just having half of that yielding a fixed income allows you to earn nearly a million a month till the end of your life... i mean, I don't think Jagger still has to pay out any mortage, at 70yo he can still buy any palace he wants anywhere in the world, spend everynight in the royal suite of any RItz in the world, and fly in private jets, so why on earth would you still care about money, insurances, negociations, bank accounts, and having 5 or 10 more millions for a couple of shows ??

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 3, 2012 16:13

Ah yes, the "dreaded black curtain" seems to be the answer to saving all bands from embarrassment these days.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 3, 2012 16:22

I suggest that they sell all tickets to scalpers, and when all tickets are sold tell them the concerts are for free hot smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2012 16:24

superrevvy

if you're only doing four shows you can't afford much staging. and without big
staging, the stones are simply not a big ticket act anymore. in fact nobody is
anymore

there is no way for the stones to look impressive doing just these four
very expensive shows. doing it this way, all they can look is hopelessly passe.

Good point...which points to the possibility that the staging will actually be more elaborate, and that we're likelier to get additional shows in 2013 to amortize the costs of the production.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:36

NICOS
I suggest that they sell all tickets to scalpers, and when all tickets are sold tell them the concerts are for free hot smiley

Dunno about the second part of that statement, but you can pretty much bet that the first part rings true; one way or the other most of the tickets are likely to fall into the hands of the scalpers - dregs of humanity that they are.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:42

NICOS

This could actually work. I like it, just open the doors the night of the concert 1st come 1st in.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:43

im broke allready... guess i contact visa or mastercard for an extra card lol

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 3, 2012 18:19

superrevvy
21stcenturystones
these shows are just to "see" how much interest is still out there for the band, and IF everyone (keith) still has it musically. If so, a major tour in the summer will follow.

yeah, about 18 people have said this already, and it still makes zero sense.

angelina jolie doesnt go play a nun with no makeup in an off-broadway show
in order to convince producers to cast her as a super-hot spy in a special
effects blockbuster. she hits the gym, and the plastic surgeon, and the latest
revealing fashions.

you don't build your mystique by reducing yourself to merely lifesize old men.
sort of a spinoff of ABCD of Boogie Woogie.

anymore.

which as i've said i think is jagger's plan. to finish them off, so he
can go do other things without people complaining. with people maybe even
being relieved that they don't have to pretend anymore.

An interesting viewpoint on these shows and almost conspiratorially Machiavellian on the part of Mick, if true, that is.

If true I would gladly see Jagger and The Foo fighters do a tour. IORR on Saturday Night Live was very, very well done.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 3, 2012 18:31

superrevvy
21stcenturystones
these shows are just to "see" how much interest is still out there for the band, and IF everyone (keith) still has it musically. If so, a major tour in the summer will follow.

yeah, about 18 people have said this already, and it still makes zero sense.

angelina jolie doesnt go play a nun with no makeup in an off-broadway show
in order to convince producers to cast her as a super-hot spy in a special
effects blockbuster. she hits the gym, and the plastic surgeon, and the latest
revealing fashions.

you don't build your mystique by reducing yourself to merely lifesize old men.
sort of a spinoff of ABCD of Boogie Woogie.

anymore.

Completely and utterly disagree.
Fascinating speculations if a tad negative! <understatement>

If you run into a ticket for NY, feel free to send it my way, SE.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 3, 2012 18:46

straycatuk
Is the £25 million just pure press speculation ? It's all guess work at the moment.

As I've said before , they struggled to sell out 3 nights at the 02 in 2007 when people (thought they) had plenty if disposable income to blow. 5 years into a recession with no end in sight, things are a bit different. Don't see them getting away with too many 2007 top price tiers this time, never mind the rumoured doubling of prices.eye popping smiley

PS for the record I intend to go to all 4 shows if at all possible >grinning smiley<

sc uk

Hello!

I was at the 3rd O2 show (August 26th 2007) and it was sold out,
Are you sure they really struggled?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:03

marquess
straycatuk

sc uk

Hello!

The 3rd show was known to be the final show of the tour so many fans came especially for this one. The other 2 shows were not totally sold out.
Few dates were sold out during the 2007 leg of the tour anyway.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: September 3, 2012 19:04

Gazza
DandelionPowderman
It's weird that the Stones didn't announce this themselves...

only because its leaked out first..its not an announcement as such.

A pre-announcement...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:17

Planning a new tour is something complicated.
1. The cost of a tour is getting higher each time : Stage design, road crew, travel + accomodation costs, insurance...

2. People's income is not increasing.
Old Stones fans are retired now : they don't earn as much money as they did during when they were working. They have new expenses : health insurance, grandchildren... and maybe other sources of interest.
Younger stones fans also got older, have children to take care of, savings plans etc...

3. Sponsors are harder to find.

4. Rich regions are not interested in the Rolling Stones.
The rich countires of the Persian Gulf and Asia (and somehow Russia) do not have a strong fan basis, so these markets are too small to justify a tour.

5. The band's attractivity has declined.
Younger generations do not care much about the greatest rock band ever. Sad, but true... People like some of their songs, but the amount of people willing to see them live seems to decline, for many reasons.

Take all these elements into account, and you find out how difficult it can be putting up a world tour.

My guess is that the few shows performed at the end of the year will help the band proving that they are still rocking and in good shape. A TV broadcast of one of the shows before the announcement of a complete world tour might help convincing people of buying tickets, if the prices are reasonable.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:38

Doc
The rich countires of the Persian Gulf and Asia (and somehow Russia) do not have a strong fan basis, so these markets are too small to justify a tour.

When has the Persian Gulf ever been a factor in rock touring? You really think the Rolling Stones aren't popular in Asia? China...Japan...Hong Kong...they can't get enough of these guys.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:39

"5. The band's attractivity has declined.
Younger generations do not care much about the greatest rock band ever"

Make that "about what was the greatest rock band ever". Imo the Stones are very lucky to have met such a high level of fame (90-00's) when the level of their perfs was average at best.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:42

deadegad
roby
And what about Keith capacity to play guitar on stage ??? Taboo subject ?

Well,speaking personally, mentioning that subject has never worked out well for me; but, what the hell, they need to have Ron, or someone else play all the lead, and have Keith and a friend play rhythm.

The Stones could sound great again!

Well... Hum.

Date: September 3, 2012 19:45

dcba
Imo the Stones are very lucky to have met such a high level of fame (90-00's) when the level of their perfs was average at best.

Ironically, their fame isn't necessarily derived from their performances. I think it has something to do with their impact upon Western Society, their back catalog, their place in history, etc.

Date: September 3, 2012 19:47

StonedInTokyo
Doc

When has the Persian Gulf ever been a factor in rock touring? You really think the Rolling Stones aren't popular in Asia? China...Japan...Hong Kong...they can't get enough of these guys.

I think I read in a Keith interview recently that if the Persian Gulf was out, so was he. He can be so childish.

Date: September 3, 2012 20:02

treaclefingers
StonedInTokyo
Doc

I think I read in a Keith interview recently that if the Persian Gulf was out, so was he. He can be so childish.

I can appreciate wanting to discover if not perform in places he hasn't played before. There are some places in the Persian Gulf they could possibly play to satisfy his request - Bahrain comes to mind.

Date: September 3, 2012 20:10

StonedInTokyo
treaclefingers
StonedInTokyo
Doc

I can appreciate wanting to discover if not perform in places he hasn't played before. There are some places in the Persian Gulf they could possibly play to satisfy his request - Bahrain comes to mind.

I'm hoping for Yemen myself, with Oman closely behind.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 3, 2012 20:48

I got actually an old cell phone . How can I follow tomorrow's conf call. Will the recap be fastly provided here or even better quite on line.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 3, 2012 21:03

treaclefingers
StonedInTokyo
treaclefingers
StonedInTokyo
Doc

I'm hoping for Yemen myself, with Oman closely behind.
Playing in Dubai on top of one of the hotels. Would be groundbreaking.

Just tell Keith - a fall from the top is not like a fall from a coconut tree. He would hit his head quite hard. Not sure a surgery would help. ;o)

Date: September 3, 2012 21:06

Doc
marquess
straycatuk

sc uk

Hello!

The 3rd show was known to be the final show of the tour so many fans came especially for this one. The other 2 shows were not totally sold out.
Few dates were sold out during the 2007 leg of the tour anyway.

Thanks Doc. That's what I meant to say ! Hard to define sold out - I travelled 250 miles on 26th Aug 07 with no ticket . Ended up on 10th row centre.

sc uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-03 21:11 by straycatuk.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 3, 2012 21:40

Kurt

Because they are testing their limitations, and supply and demand. If it sells out, and fast, then the market has been set. If not, well, trickle down economics comes into play.

Date: September 3, 2012 21:50

The Sicilian
Kurt

Because they are testing their limitations, and supply and demand. If it sells out, and fast, then the market has been set. If not, well, trickle down economics comes into play.

Voodoo Economics? Wouldn't that have been a more appropriate approach for the Voodoo Lounge tour?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2012 22:40

Do you think 'The Most Savvy Rock and Roll Band in the World' can't adjust to current market conditions? Cut down on staging. Fire breathing metal dragons are so 1990s. Raise the prices on the really upfront tickets. Those people are willing to pay top dollar. Minimize your costs. Having multiple nights in larger cities and forgoing one nighters in Idaho can help. These are the masters of touring. Pull in more corporate sponsors. Promote yourself in novel ways. You don't think these guys know it's a rough landscape out there for touring now? Sure they do. But somehow they'll muddle through.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home