Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 49
Re: Billboard: Rolling Stones To Play London, Brooklyn In November
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 3, 2012 22:55

treaclefingers
The Sicilian
Kurt
Is it too presumptious of me to ask this question?

And here's one more question:
Why would the greatest minds in the music business risk a non-sell out show by over pricing the tickets?

Because they are testing their limitations, and supply and demand. If it sells out, and fast, then the market has been set. If not, well, trickle down economics comes into play.

Voodoo Economics? Wouldn't that have been a more appropriate approach for the Voodoo Lounge tour?

A more appropriate approach to the Voodoo Lounge tour would be the Tattoo You tour.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 3, 2012 22:56

24FPS
Do you think 'The Most Savvy Rock and Roll Band in the World' can't adjust to current market conditions? Cut down on staging. Fire breathing metal dragons are so 1990s. Raise the prices on the really upfront tickets. Those people are willing to pay top dollar. Minimize your costs. Having multiple nights in larger cities and forgoing one nighters in Idaho can help. These are the masters of touring. Pull in more corporate sponsors. Promote yourself in novel ways. You don't think these guys know it's a rough landscape out there for touring now? Sure they do. But somehow they'll muddle through.
Madonna learned the lesson - her ticket prices were way too high and had bad ticket sales. Stones should learn the lesson before going on the last tour.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:01

24FPS
Cut down on staging. Fire breathing metal dragons are so 1990s. Raise the prices on the really upfront tickets.

That's known as an arena, or theatre show.

I spent hundreds to be FOS in Boise and I could have (literally) spit on Keith.

I think Mick was pissed at me for being the only one in my section not waving my hands in the air when he was doing his cheerleading thing. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:24

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
The Sicilian
Kurt

Why would the greatest minds in the music business risk a non-sell out show by over pricing the tickets?

Because they are testing their limitations, and supply and demand. If it sells out, and fast, then the market has been set. If not, well, trickle down economics comes into play.

Voodoo Economics? Wouldn't that have been a more appropriate approach for the Voodoo Lounge tour?

A more appropriate approach to the Voodoo Lounge tour would be the Tattoo You tour.

Tattoo you Munich...or better yet, tattoo yourself.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:30

angee
superrevvy
21stcenturystones
these shows are just to "see" how much interest is still out there for the band, and IF everyone (keith) still has it musically. If so, a major tour in the summer will follow.

yeah, about 18 people have said this already, and it still makes zero sense.

if you're only doing four shows you can't afford much staging. and without big
staging, the stones are simply not a big ticket act anymore. in fact nobody is
anymore.

Completely and utterly disagree.
Fascinating speculations if a tad negative! <understatement>

Hey I was all for a BIG glorious finish. That's why I liked the Farewell
Festivals concept. But sorry I can't see this mini-idea in any kind of positive
light. To me it once again seems like:

But, as usual, whenever my premonitions are dark, all I can do is hope that I'm wrong.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:35

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
The Sicilian
Kurt

Ouch.

Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:38

Am I the only one to wonder if this is true or not. We're in September, there's no confirmation and they expect to shift tour tickets only 2 months in advance?

I'm in a good spot, I live in London and can/will travel to NY at short notice. But I don't think I am typical of all fans in that respect. Too bad for many fans who won't be able to pull a trip togther at short notice.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 4, 2012 00:21

Well, superevvy, I see this either as a prelude to more or an end in itself.
No huge tour though, from what I can gather.

Either way, to me, it beats nada, by a long shot.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 4, 2012 00:47

Mick has always said that most of their overhead comes from transporting stages around, not from building them. I'm not sure the fire-breathing dragons are all that relevant from a profit standpoint. Semi tractor-trailors are, though.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 4, 2012 01:13

Which NYC airport is closest to Barclays Center ?

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: September 4, 2012 01:14

Well as for MJ wanting to "finish the Stones" for something else...crap. Since 1968 with Performance how many projects has Mick tried to jump start an alternative career with, and stalled? A few movies, a few solo albums, all over a period of almost 45 years. Works out to very few tries over a very long time for a man truely hungry to quit his day job. Of those, how many have been successful? Truely successful at the level that MJ demands of himself? Zero??

This is a man who called his only solo tour short when no one paid attention.

Mick Jagger is not stupid, he knows where his fame lies.

Mick Jagger is not young, why would he kill off what has been tremendoulsy successful to attempt something new at an age when most retire? Especially when it has not worked so many times in the past?

While he may not trumpet it as loudly as Keith does, MJ is every bit as proud of being a Stone as his Glimmer Twin.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 4, 2012 01:15

24FPS
But somehow they'll muddle through.

People please stop insulting The Stones Guitar section!!!!!!

At least exclude Blondie.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2012 02:14

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
The Sicilian
Kurt

Ouch.

I of course meant that in the friendliest of ways! grinning smiley

Posted by: NWSooner ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:23

Edith Grove
Which NYC airport is closest to Barclays Center ?

JFK

Rock on!

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:34

Some of the bickering here beats cowel vs walsh hands down...if keith nails it....itll be a different story. Why ruin the repuration with 4 shows if keef cant do it. Best thing is wait and see...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:37

Room1009
Am I the only one to wonder if this is true or not. We're in September, there's no confirmation and they expect to shift tour tickets only 2 months in advance?

I'm in a good spot, I live in London and can/will travel to NY at short notice. But I don't think I am typical of all fans in that respect. Too bad for many fans who won't be able to pull a trip togther at short notice.

Its not a tour. Its not as if anyone has to plan a prolonged trip. And yes, its happening.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 4, 2012 03:46

what happened to the typical press conference with mick doing most of the talking, ronnie and keith smoking , drinking and laughing and charlie being charlie? oh yeah and the have to arrive on a spaceship this time to top all the others

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-04 03:48 by melillo.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 04:03

deadagade,guess you couldnt afford a ticket to the last tour,to bad.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 04:14

melillo
what happened to the typical press conference with mick doing most of the talking, ronnie and keith smoking , drinking and laughing and charlie being charlie? oh yeah and the have to arrive on a spaceship this time to top all the others

They're not announcing a tour so no need for a presser but maybe a spaceship arrival or personal hovercrafts for each member in 2013 when they do announce a tour.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:00

Seen a bunch of rumors about shows at the O2 on 11/26, 11/27. Those must be wrong since the O2 appears booked on the 26th, and as someone mentioned, the Stones haven't played consecutive nights in ages. My luck has been amazing at the O2. I bought tickets through the fan club for the last show in 2007, ended up way back on the floor for face value of GBP 170 or so (can't remember), walked in the arena and realized the seats were up against the B-Stage.

Man, I need for them to announce those dates.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 4, 2012 06:15

backstreetboy1
deadagade,guess you couldnt afford a ticket to the last tour,to bad.

I was there and when Ron played lead and Keith stuck to rhythm -- and both were sober and focused -- they sounded good. At other times? Not so much.

Date: September 4, 2012 06:22

superrevvy
angee
superrevvy
21stcenturystones
these shows are just to "see" how much interest is still out there for the band, and IF everyone (keith) still has it musically. If so, a major tour in the summer will follow.

yeah, about 18 people have said this already, and it still makes zero sense.

if you're only doing four shows you can't afford much staging. and without big
staging, the stones are simply not a big ticket act anymore. in fact nobody is
anymore.

Completely and utterly disagree.
Fascinating speculations if a tad negative! <understatement>

Hey I was all for a BIG glorious finish. That's why I liked the Farewell
Festivals concept. But sorry I can't see this mini-idea in any kind of positive
light. To me it once again seems like:

But, as usual, whenever my premonitions are dark, all I can do is hope that I'm wrong.

You are wrong rev, but we still love you. You are going to be shocked and amazed. This I promise.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 4, 2012 09:05

MightyStonesStillRollin50
You are wrong rev, but we still love you. You are going to be shocked and amazed. This I promise.

Who is "we"? And what exactly are you in a position to "promise"?

Your posts get more suspicious all the time, dear boy!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 4, 2012 09:19

If they want to do it quick and easy, they should (i) ditch the horn section; (ii) forget about elaborate staging and just use the tongue backdrop from the 72 tour, (iii) ditch the backup vocalists, even though I love em; (iv) Mick T on third guitar, Bill on bass: (v) rehearse 1-2 new songs, and 4-5 warhorses to open and close the show; (vi) for the rest of the show, just play Chuck Berry and old blues numbers they already know by heart; and (viii) add in an acoustic segment highlighted by an extended 12-bar jam that will allow the boys to sit and catch their breath mid-set.

It would be simple, and the best Stones show in ages..

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 4, 2012 09:19

drbryant
I bought tickets through the fan club for the last show in 2007, ended up way back on the floor for face value of GBP 170 or so (can't remember), walked in the arena and realized the seats were up against the B-Stage.
SWEET!!! and that is the best thing about the B stage

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 4, 2012 09:40

drbryant
If they want to do it quick and easy, they should (i) ditch the horn section; (ii) forget about elaborate staging and just use the tongue backdrop from the 72 tour, (iii) ditch the backup vocalists, even though I love em; (iv) Mick T on third guitar, Bill on bass: (v) rehearse 1-2 new songs, and 4-5 warhorses to open and close the show; (vi) for the rest of the show, just play Chuck Berry and old blues numbers they already know by heart; and (viii) add in an acoustic segment highlighted by an extended 12-bar jam that will allow the boys to sit and catch their breath mid-set.

It would be simple, and the best Stones show in ages..

thumbs up Give this man the prize, please!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: September 4, 2012 09:49

I would imagine they warehoused the Bigger Bang stage set format they used for the Arena shows and could resurrect the main and B-stage floor structure elements and just refresh the video screen content, lighting and rear stage design.

I agree with those who say "strip the production down" but I doubt it will happen as the promoter, media, casual gig goers, first timers and celebrities who go to the November shows will expect the big production entertainment value. They have done all that to the zenith before, so I don't see what they have to prove with all the big production stuff. The true fans like me just want the music and say f*ck the Las Vegas trash trip.

SonicD

Posted by: princerupert ()
Date: September 4, 2012 10:17

Any news...? It is sept 4th...
smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 4, 2012 10:29

princerupert
Any news...? It is sept 4th...
smiling smiley

Keith isn't out of bed yet

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 4, 2012 10:30

Jagger is in the shower with Wren, the news will be tonite.
jeroen

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home