Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 29
Re: OT - 2012 London Summer Olympics
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 6, 2012 22:51

OK, Frank. It's alright. But let's give Bolt a break until he's proven guilty (of something..).

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 6, 2012 22:55

Thank you Beast, those are great pictures! Seems you were really close.

Was it fun? Would love to read any good stories you would like to share.

UPDATE!!!!!
GOOOAAALLLLLLLL USA IN THE WOMENS SOCCER MATCH
SCORE TIED 1-1 @ 54:00

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 22:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 6, 2012 22:55

Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

Interesting thing is, I was reading a report earlier today where the first athelete to test positive since the games have started was just kicked out of the games within the last day or two. He was a member of the US team in the Judo competition. He tested positive not for steroids or enhancement drugs, but for pot. The article had him quoted as saying he had heaten some baked goods prior to going to London which contained pot. Dumbazz.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Man, can you imagine being an athlete heading into these games?? Having to be soooooo paranoid about ANYTHING you ingest... one bad drink/eat..and bam you are gone.... and maybe not even being a Dumbazz... maybe just a mistake... and 4 years of training goes KAPUT

No doubt... I guess they are warned about never drinking anything that a stranger gives them, not even bottled water, etc. And it's not just for the Olympics. These people have to be, on some level, suspicious of everyone, everyday. Makes me admire there dedication a bit more, to be honest.

Peace
Mr DJA

Date: August 6, 2012 23:01

mr_dja
Max'sKansasCity
mr_dja

Interesting thing is, I was reading a report earlier today where the first athelete to test positive since the games have started was just kicked out of the games within the last day or two. He was a member of the US team in the Judo competition. He tested positive not for steroids or enhancement drugs, but for pot. The article had him quoted as saying he had heaten some baked goods prior to going to London which contained pot. Dumbazz.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Man, can you imagine being an athlete heading into these games?? Having to be soooooo paranoid about ANYTHING you ingest... one bad drink/eat..and bam you are gone.... and maybe not even being a Dumbazz... maybe just a mistake... and 4 years of training goes KAPUT

No doubt... I guess they are warned about never drinking anything that a stranger gives them, not even bottled water, etc. And it's not just for the Olympics. These people have to be, on some level, suspicious of everyone, everyday. Makes me admire there dedication a bit more, to be honest.

Peace
Mr DJA

Better be PARANOID like Black Sabbath

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:05

Yes, we were really close down on row 5!! I couldn't believe it, especially as I had this ticket sprung on me only a few days earlier as a birthday present. That has to be one of the best birthday presents of all time! The guy sitting next to me was the uncle of the Australian Steve Solomon who did well in the 400m semis and is now being described as a teenage sensation. Needless to say, there was lots of cheering, shouting and flag-waving going on next to me when his nephew ran past. It was all just terrific. I just wish I could have had tickets for more events, but I can't complain AT ALL.

I think it's a smart move to volunteer - a friend who's volunteering is assigned to the stadium and he got a ringside seat for the opening ceremony and last night he was called trackside to the media area (best view in the house) to interpret for the French guy who'd just won a medal in the 3000 metre steeplechase. So it just happened that he was trackside for the 100m final!!! What brilliant luck...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:09

Cool...I wondered if he attended. He's a big sports enthusiast and has given money to the UK gymnastics program. As far as I know, he's only attended this one and the Montreal 76 Olympics...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:11

Great pictures Beast. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 6, 2012 23:13

Max'sKansasCity
for helping me sharpen my football/soccer appreciation skills

LOL Max, I am still proud of that smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------

Date: August 6, 2012 23:13

Beast
Yes, we were really close down on row 5!! I couldn't believe it, especially as I had this ticket sprung on me only a few days earlier as a birthday present. That has to be one of the best birthday presents of all time! The guy sitting next to me was the uncle of the Australian Steve Solomon who did well in the 400m semis and is now being described as a teenage sensation. Needless to say, there was lots of cheering, shouting and flag-waving going on next to me when his nephew ran past. It was all just terrific. I just wish I could have had tickets for more events, but I can't complain AT ALL.

I think it's a smart move to volunteer - a friend who's volunteering is assigned to the stadium and he got a ringside seat for the opening ceremony and last night he was called trackside to the media area (best view in the house) to interpret for the French guy who'd just won a medal in the 3000 metre steeplechase. So it just happened that he was trackside for the 100m final!!! What brilliant luck...

WOW!!! I'll say... what a great present!!!
That is really really cool, I am almost jealous, but not, I am just really happy for you and thankyou for sharing the pictures. I think my fav pics are the ones of the steeple chase (is that thright word? where the photogs are kneeling and they the ydecide to lay down...how funny...

SOCCER UPDATE!!

CANADA GOAL AT 68:00 AND THEY NOW LEAD 2-1

AND NOW!!!!

USA GOAL AT 70:00 AND THE SCORE IS 2-2

WHOA CHRISTINE SINCLAIR HAS A HAT TRICK @72:30 SCORE IS NOW 3-2 Canada leads

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 23:14 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 6, 2012 23:15

lem motlow
mick and keith were on something when they wrote the songs

-------------------

Date: August 6, 2012 23:17

Beast
Yes, we were really close down on row 5!!

WOW, amazing. Must have been a day to remember.

-------------------

Date: August 6, 2012 23:20

Oh no... controversy on the pitch....
I dont know what/why.. but... uh... penalty kick...and the USA ties it.
Oh well... now we will have some more to debate about.

Score tied 3-3

and at 80:00 mintues the foreplay is over and the game begins.. and it is getting rough, piles of players..and they are drving..and.... WOW!!!

81:29 SCORE IS 3-3

At the end of regualtion the score is tied 3-3 with 3:00 mystery minutes added

There may be up to two 15 minutes over times, no golden goal and if it is still knotted then the over time kicks...

score tied 3-3 headed to over time #1

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 23:39 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:25

lem motlow
i dont know why everyone is so sensitive about this.it shouldnt even effect your enjoyment of the games but its just a reality in todays world.

marion jones never tested positive and was stripped of her medals and put in jail,its just the way things are.it would be like ruining your experience of listening to exile because i told you mick and keith were on something when they wrote the songs.

as for the americans being upset or whatever,track and field isnt as big in the states as it is in europe and i dont think anyone really cares that much,its just an interesting story.

i wont bring it up again because people get upset but you can look up the history of the sport on the net and draw your own conclusions.there are some really wild stories out there that i find as interesting as a good crime novel.

I don't think "everyone" is so sensitive about it. I think people - especially in Europe - who follow "track and field" sports, do know the doping history very well, and nobody is too naive about the reality of teh things. But the point is: the time to discuss these matters is when something actually happens - there is a positive test or something. A "fact" like BV pointed out. But before that is that waste of words and actually showing disrespect for the winners and the games over-all. Why to spoil the atmosphere and like making Bolt under suspect when there is no actual proof or anything? And in general level, the whole doping problem is not newsworthy at all. It is very well known. Too known I guess. Too obvious.

But I can assure we have here in Europe discussed doping more than you in America ever know. Actually it is great that the people in charge there have finally taken the issue seriously lately (the Marion Jones case etc.).

Besides I don't think anything written here spoils the enjoyment of following the games - it just makes reading this thread unpleasing. Especially if one enjoys watching the actual events an sich, and perhaps feels like sharing some thoughts with other followers (not that there is much of that).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 23:29 by Doxa.

Date: August 6, 2012 23:32

Argh! To think I was happy that I was going to make it home in time to watch the second half of the USA men's basketball game tonight... I wish I could have traded to be able to see USA v CAN Women's football! Following it on the olympic site is proving painful! Now my only hope is that it ends before I start driving home as the radio in my car is broken! Go USA! Thanks to Canada/USA for providing me some excitement at what I thought was going to be just another normal Monday at the office!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 6, 2012 23:32

Rolling Hansie
Beast

It certainly was! Especially as I was unlucky in the ticket ballot, so I wasn't even expecting to go.

And yes, Max'sKC, that was the steeplechase. Those photographers get seriously splattered! But I just saw during the final on TV what great shots they get in that position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-06 23:36 by Beast.

Date: August 6, 2012 23:37

Beast
Rolling Hansie
Beast

It certainly was! Especially as I was unlucky in the ticket ballot, so I wasn't even expecting to go.

And yes, Max'sKC, that was the steeplechase. Those photographers get seriously splattered!

LOL.. that is funny.... I hope their pictures were worth it.

Date: August 6, 2012 23:37

Just found this online by someone (not as cool as our very own IORRer Beast... but... it looks exciting ... and wet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 00:03 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 6, 2012 23:52

Beast-> Thanks for the pictures! Talk about a great birthday surprise! Glad to see you had a great day!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 7, 2012 00:05

Women's semi final footbal/soccer update-
@minute 113:00 still tied 3-3 in ET2 (overtime 2)

minute 120.... 3 minutes mystery time added, still 3-3

AND>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
USA GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
2:30 INTO MYSTERY TIME,
A SIDE SHOT PASS TO THE MIDDLE AND A HEADER FOR THE GOOOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!

USA WINS 4-3... but not without controversy.....

Good job Canada, that was a helluva match...

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 00:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 7, 2012 01:00

keefriffhard4life
crosses fingers aliya mustifina gets a gold on the uneven bars or floor exercise

@#$%& yeah gold o the uneven bars. greatest gymnast alive right now

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:16

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:18

Here's our Ricey!

..... Yes!! thanks studidguy2

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:51

great pictures Beast, thanks for postingdrinking smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 7, 2012 02:56

Many thanks Beast! Your photos are lovely and I'm very glad you were given such a fine seat.

I didn't expect to watch as much of the Olympics on telly as I have. Nice to see a truly joyous event this year.

Loved those lady marathon walkers in the rain. Brave souls. So many terrific sights of the London I respect and...adore.

Date: August 7, 2012 04:00

stonesrule
....Nice to see a truly joyous event this year......
+! thumbs up

BRAVO LONDON!!!
You make me want to visit you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 04:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 7, 2012 04:27

I think Canada was robbed in the women's soccer loss to the US. Very questionable officiating by the Norwegian ref. US tied it up when the ref called the Canadian goalkeeper for holding the ball too long!? Resulting indirect free kick was called a handball when the ball was blasted and hit the Canadian around the upper elbow area as she turned away, which resulted in a penalty kick and goal.
As a Canadian who doesn't follow soccer, is that call ever made?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2012 04:38

My apologies if this has already been addressed, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. The New York Times has an article about how the Olympics have been an economic dissapointment for London businesses. Is this getting any press in London? I would think that even if it's been a disaster econonically, Londoners are still proud of the job they are doing hosting the games.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: August 7, 2012 04:51

NBC just showed Mick in the stands watching track and field. I think he was with his young son....

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: August 7, 2012 05:05

DGA35
I think Canada was robbed in the women's soccer loss to the US. Very questionable officiating by the Norwegian ref. US tied it up when the ref called the Canadian goalkeeper for holding the ball too long!? Resulting indirect free kick was called a handball when the ball was blasted and hit the Canadian around the upper elbow area as she turned away, which resulted in a penalty kick and goal.
As a Canadian who doesn't follow soccer, is that call ever made?

Agree with you, DGA35. Great effort by the Canadian girls, I thought they really deserved it. I don't know how often that call is made, or made in a game of that magnitude, but if you go by the post-game reaction of the losing side and coach, I'm guessing not very often. Hopefully they can get it back together for the match against France and win a bronze. How about that Christine Sinclair with 3 more goals, now leading the tourney.

Date: August 7, 2012 05:13

latebloomer
My apologies if this has already been addressed, I haven't been keeping up with this thread. The New York Times has an article about how the Olympics have been an economic dissapointment for London businesses. Is this getting any press in London? I would think that even if it's been a disaster econonically, Londoners are still proud of the job they are doing hosting the games.

[www.nytimes.com]

Interesting story, but I am betting in the long run London (and Londoners) will be very happy they held these games. It is expensive, but I think the goodwill created from successful games goes a long long way... and from what I understand London has learned from other cities when it comes to the how to handl;e the Olympic venues themselves.

This article tells about how most venues were inexpensively built with the plan to dismantle them afterwrds... as opposed to letting them rot like they have in other cities...
[sports.yahoo.com]
=========================================
....."The Olympics will not crumble here the way they did in places such as Athens and Beijing, cities where spectacular structures were hailed as architectural feats only to deteriorate when the Games ended and there proved no need for a gigantic Olympic stadium or an outdoor high diving board. Things like London's basketball arena, field hockey stadium, and water polo stadium were intentionally built not as great structures but as unappealing temporary facilities that will be easily ripped down, their parts to be used elsewhere.

This was the plan for London, which has spent more than 9 billion pounds to put on these games and could not afford to wind up with a park of wasted buildings surrounded by yards of security fences. So the plan was to always have a series of buildings that can be quickly destroyed.

"We don't need a 12,000-seat basketball arena," Tudor said. "We don't need an outdoor hockey arena."

London has a master plan for the site. The plan is detailed and has strict deadlines. The plan envisions a gigantic neighborhood rising in a section of town once dominated by factories, dumps, and marshland. The plan has the basketball arena gone by next year, replaced with winding lanes, apartments, and houses with gardens in a village that will be called Chobham Manor.

The plan says the area surrounding Olympic Stadium is going to become a mixed-use area of stores and restaurants and bars and will be named Marshgate Wharf.

By 2014, the Olympic Park will look completely different......"
===========================================

That seems really really smart... compared an contrast to this story about Athens rotting Olympic venues

[summergames.ap.org]
===================================================
""...There's still one group that loves the training pool for athletes at the former Olympic village in Athens' northern fringe.

Frogs.

They appear to delight in sitting on debris that floats on the half-filled pool's murky waters.

The athletes village itself has fared somewhat better, turned into housing for workers.

Eight years after the 2004 Athens Games, many of the Olympic venues Greece built at great expense remain abandoned or rarely used. They are the focus of great public anger as the country struggles through a fifth year of recession and nearly three years of a debt crisis that has seen a surge in poverty and unemployment.

At the southern Athens venue for softball — a sport unknown in Greece and already out of the Summer Olympics — the occasional weed is all that remains on the dried-out field.....""
=====================================================

Good for London for being so smart.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 05:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home