Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: October 29, 2013 04:54

Heard Kashmir played on organ at an ice hockey game.

If Zep is said to have done this or that.. I think Kashmir will always be their creation and is astounding.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 29, 2013 06:31

"Like them both, but The Stones for sure carry the crown. They lasted longer, played more live gigs, and put out far more music. Really Zep was kind of lame in that they didn't release a lot of music for the amount of time they were active. Also, they were a bit of a one trick pony with not near the amount of personality or dynamism as The Stones.

The holy trinity for me are The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who. With the Kinks coming in on the top five."

Onya whitem8. Save for the Kinks I agree. Not sure I agree re Zeppelin's output though. 69-79 they released 8 studio albums one of which was a dbl. Pretty good me finks.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 29, 2013 08:15

"Like them both, but The Stones for sure carry the crown. They lasted longer, played more live gigs, and put out far more music. Really Zep was kind of lame in that they didn't release a lot of music for the amount of time they were active. Also, they were a bit of a one trick pony with not near the amount of personality or dynamism as The Stones.

The holy trinity for me are The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who. With the Kinks coming in on the top five."

Onya whitem8. Save for the Kinks I agree. Not sure I agree re Zeppelin's output though. 69-79 they released 8 studio albums one of which was a dbl. Pretty good me finks.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 29, 2013 14:39

Regarding Zep being "lame" for the amount of music they put out--

Eight albums in eleven years, one of which, as noted, was a double. During that time Robert Plant had a near-fatal car crash from which he took months to recover, and had to sing most of Presence sitting down, and then even worse was the unexpected death of Plant's five-year-old son, which was so traumatic he left the scene for nearly a year and very nearly left the band.

You can call Plant "lame" because of his leg injury, but otherwise I don't want to hear it. winking smiley Not regarding their output.

Date: October 29, 2013 15:09

to me it seems the kinks had the largest output in the smallest amount of time that i know of. that didn't do to many covers but damn they released 15 albums in 11 years plus countless non album singles

Date: October 29, 2013 15:35

My only beef with LZ is the lack of melody in lots of their songs.

It sounds like Page had written many wonderful songs, that Plant is just humming, talking and stuttering his way through.

Mind you, there are exceptions smiling smiley

This one comes to mind, as a song with lots of potential, but without any real melody at all: Too much stuff like here between 3:15 and 3:55 with LZ to my liking.

Date: October 29, 2013 16:45

keefriffhard4life
to me it seems the kinks had the largest output in the smallest amount of time that i know of. that didn't do to many covers but damn they released 15 albums in 11 years plus countless non album singles

I love the Kinks, but I don't know that quantity necessarily equals quality, in their case or anyone else's.

Date: October 29, 2013 17:03

Aquamarine
keefriffhard4life

I love the Kinks, but I don't know that quantity necessarily equals quality, in their case or anyone else's.

i think that run of albums they had from 1964-1975 is all pretty much top notch. not to mention all of the countless non album singles, songs only done on the BBC and recent demo's that have been released.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 29, 2013 17:37

The Rolling Stones is dance music, it's rock and roll with a groove, it's sexual and dirty and at their best, they sound like they just made it up while they're going.
Led Zeppelin are only technically superior musicians but with no groove at all. Besides, I never liked songs about wizards and elves.

Date: October 29, 2013 17:48

matxil
Besides, I never liked songs about wizards and elves.

Proof positive you've never listened to them. eye rolling smiley And I know what songs you think you're referring to--there's about three of them, maybe 2 1/2, out of their whole recorded output. That's why this thread drives me crazy, I keep trying to stay out of it! grinning smiley

I'd disagree about the overall consistency of the Kinks albums, btw, but in any case my point is simply that quantity isn't a virtue in and of itself, not that the Kinks aren't a great band.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 17:53

It's always fun to meet a hardcore Zeppelin fan and then show them Ladies & Gentleman in Bluray/HD with a good sound system. Typical response "oh well...ummm.....geez....I had no idea the Stones were that good"

Date: October 29, 2013 17:55

I'm a hardcore Zeppelin fan. I've--oh, never mind. (Most people I know love both bands, IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!)

Date: October 29, 2013 18:32

matxil
The Rolling Stones is dance music, it's rock and roll with a groove, it's sexual and dirty and at their best, they sound like they just made it up while they're going.
Led Zeppelin are only technically superior musicians but with no groove at all. Besides, I never liked songs about wizards and elves.

no groove at all. the song "good times, bad times" disagrees with you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 18:39 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: October 29, 2013 18:38

A different groove is correct...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 29, 2013 20:31

The only thing that really bugs me about Led Zeppelin is the excessive use of the word baby. grinning smiley

Their performance on the Supershow is still one of my all time fav live thangs. I don't care if the song is a rip off, they sound @#$%& raucous and majestic!

Page's guitar tone!!!! hot smiley

The stones were wise to not include them in Rock & Roll Circus cos that would have mean't there were two superior bands on the same show with LZ even stealing the show from The Who. >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-29 20:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2013 21:27

His Majesty
The only thing that really bugs me about Led Zeppelin is the excessive use of the word baby. grinning smiley

In that case I'm guessing you're not a Justin Bieber fan either.

You ain't no belieber.

Date: October 29, 2013 21:32

treaclefingers

You ain't no belieber.

My youngest niece is, I bought her tickets to go see the runt in concert. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2013 21:34

His Majesty
treaclefingers

You ain't no belieber.

My youngest niece is, I bought her tickets to go see the runt in concert. grinning smiley

Well I guess we can all belieb in miracles then!

Date: October 29, 2013 21:59

grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 29, 2013 22:14

I agree with you on the clip, His Majesty. It was one of the defining moments that lead to me becoming a fan. It was during my long-haired phase and I thought Page looked incredibly cool with his leather jacket. It wasn't all about the music, ha-ha. No, it's awesome stuff. I still have huge love and time for early Zeppelin.

Date: October 29, 2013 22:30

I don't really listen to LZ for the songs as such, more the arrangements, the ace sound they had circa 1968 - 1970 and the riffs.

The songs, as in words and melody, are mostly all pretty crap imo, the arrangements kick @#$%& arse though!

hot smiley

Date: October 29, 2013 23:13

That was my point earlier in the thread as well, Phil thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2013 23:28

Lots of respect for Zep for quitting when Bonzo died and not becoming a band who survived by playing their back catalog. (Although the Page-Plant tour was close).

Got to play with JPJ one afternoon in a studio. He picked up an old $300 bass and frigging blew us all away. Zep was so solid in the musicianship it hurts.

The Stones on the other hand paved the way for Zepplin and most other rock acts and imho have better longer lasting song writing skills. peace

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:07

His Majesty

Their performance on the Supershow is still one of my all time fav live thangs. I don't care if the song is a rip off, they sound @#$%& raucous and majestic!

Page's guitar tone!!!! hot smiley

The stones were wise to not include them in Rock & Roll Circus cos that would have mean't there were two superior bands on the same show with LZ even stealing the show from The Who. >grinning smiley<

Beautiful stuff. This just sticks it to the people who think single-coil Telecasters are just inherently incapable of balls-out rock (the anti-Les Paul, etc.) and are too "thin" or whatever. There are so many other factors to tone. (I am a tele nut, so admittedly biased... smiling smiley

On that subject, is this the same Telecaster that Page used to record the solo on the studio version of Stairway to Heaven?

Date: October 30, 2013 02:39

It is the same tele. thumbs up

Date: October 30, 2013 03:21

Led Zeppelin's fourth album, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, and Deep Purple's Machine Head have stood the test of time as the Holy Trinity of English hard rock and heavy metal, serving as the fundamental blueprints followed by virtually every heavy rock & roll band since the early '70s.

All Music Guide

[www.allmusic.com]

I've never seen a real comparison with the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, Zep's "Rock 'n' Roll" is another of their great tunes, I don't compare the Stones to Cream.

I'd compare the RS to the Beatles and maybe to someone like the Yardbirds who I suppose evolved into Led Zeppelin, maybe compare Stones to Hendrix. Zep stole too much, it's disappointing, listened to tapes claiming what they plagiarized and a whole lot of it is so, songs like "stairway" etc. Zep rocks in a different way but that part of their history is a turn off. Hard to ever love them like I did since they ripped off so many things though Jimmy Page is a great guitarist and also did some good charitable work concerning Brazil.

Still, songs like "Black Dog", "Kashmir", "Rock N Roll", some others, those are among the best rockers ever, in that I'd give Led Zep their due.

Also, I don't want to come down too hard on the "plagiarism" deal, a lot of that around actually but it would not have hurt Zep to give credit around for a lot of that, "Bring it on home" or whatever.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 05:40 by BroomWagon.

Date: October 30, 2013 03:44

sanQ
Yeah Floyd was derivative. They were a Beatles/Stones/Dylan copy done originally via Syd Barrett whom I totally love. The writing was a different but basically they were derivative. They looked up to their heros the Beatles and the Stones. 5 years after the Beatles and Stones first appeared. So yes of course!

As for Jerry Lee, yes you have a point there.

I could also say Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters too maybe.

Agree, Rolling Stones Rhythm Section better than Zeppelin, that's the comparison.

As for drummers, I listened to a talk radio show, though Ringo might not be impressive as the acrobats Moon and Bonham, this writer was saying how Ringo threw so many different beats into what he did, a Bossa Nova beat, a Mambo beat or whatever, can't remember them all, all in the same song, real diversity, kind of goes back to those who say "Yeah, but check the kinds of sounds Ringo could get out of his drums." Likewise, Watts had his unique playing style not to be beat as well.

Date: October 30, 2013 05:28

His Majesty
It is the same tele. thumbs up

He was using the same Tele with the Yardbirds, too! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-30 05:28 by Big Al.

Date: October 30, 2013 05:39

Actually, this is a better video, and with his usage of a violin bow, more in keeping with the 'Zep theme' of this thread. It's also the same guitar he's pictured using during the recording of the A Degree of Murder soundtrack. I guess he painted it - for a second time - sometime in '68.

Date: October 30, 2013 05:45

Here's Page posing and miming with the Yardies in '68. Same Tele :-

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home