Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 53
Re: OT: Truth about jimmy page??
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 25, 2014 00:16

This story has come into vogue lately and being spun into a bit more drama to sell. The recent Rolling Stone special edition on Zep had a pretty balanced story on it. He did indeed have a relationship with a 14 year old groupie. Jetting throughout the US during Zep's tour. The article talks about how the press didn't really report on it much and that if this happened now he would have been arrested. But nothing about kidnapping.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 25, 2014 00:20

It's an old story.
Kidnapping? Maybe from a legal standpoint because he kept her (a minor) locked in his hotel room as one of the stories goes.
Then there is also a story that Jimmy was given "permission" from a parent or guardian, but don't know if I believe that.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 25, 2014 00:51

It's an incredibly old story, which Lori has been riding for decades (and making clear it was entirely consensual).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 25, 2014 00:58

Aquamarine
It's an incredibly old story, which Lori has been riding for decades (and making clear it was entirely consensual).

Would you be happy if you had a 14 year old daughter and she was willingly getting banged by Jimmy Page... and a whole host of other rockers?

Tis old news, but still. erk.

Date: March 25, 2014 01:15

His Majesty
Aquamarine

Would you be happy if you had a 14 year old daughter and she was willingly getting banged by Jimmy Page... and a whole host of other rockers?

No, of course not. That wasn't my point, HM! (Her mother, on the other hand, was apparently all in favor. Go figure.) They were different times, seems unfair to judge by the "erk" standards of today.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 25, 2014 02:21

they all did this- one big reason robert plant wont do his memoir is his fear of having to talk about stuff like this

Date: March 25, 2014 02:24

No it isn't.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 25, 2014 02:29

AM- trust me on this one. He may still do it- but it will be very limited in scope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 02:30 by hbwriter.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: March 25, 2014 02:46

big4
From the 14 year-old looking back all grown up:

Infamous shark story and Jimmy's 14 year-old paramour

That's rich- "Pamela Des Barres- former girl friend of Jimmy Page." Let's face it- former girlfriend of practically EVERYBODY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 02:46 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 25, 2014 02:54

Speaking of the "they all did it" tag, wouldn't you like to read Kim Fowley's memoir? One of the Runaways (Cherie Curry) has told some rather lurid stories (in Rodney Bingenheimer's 2003 documentary Mayor of the Sunset Strip).

Here's what Fowley himself has to say on the subject (from the film The Runaways):

"I mean, lookit me. I'm balling two 20-somethings in a row. I'm 70 years old and I don't think I've dated anybody over 30 since I was 17 and a sex worker. Women over 30 have to pay to play. Unless they haven't had a baby, I'll give 'em a shot, but the baby ruins everything. The baby brings cottage cheese and custard and Jello after the fact, but let's not talk of such things."

Cherie Curry interview at: [www.metalsludge.tv]

Date: March 25, 2014 03:01

hbwriter
AM- trust me on this one. He may still do it- but it will be very limited in scope.

Yes, my information (this is the one subject on which I actually do have some info) is the same as yours--I was just saying that the reason it hasn't appeared isn't fear of writing about underage girls! (All of which is common knowledge, anyway.)

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: March 25, 2014 04:31

You Got to Roll Me
Dont mean to start a whole thing here...But is there any truth behind the Jimmy Page, 14 year old girl, Kidnapping story.... I cant imagine if there was an ounce of truth behind it he would be given the kennedy center honers

Admittedly this would be much worse but I watched Heart perform Stairway to Heaven, they definitely lifted some of that song from Spirit's Taurus. Anyway, I've never cared for that song as much as a lot of other LZ anyway, Kashmir is epic.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 25, 2014 04:50

gossip central...

Date: March 25, 2014 04:55

Aquamarine
His Majesty
Aquamarine

No, of course not. That wasn't my point, HM! (Her mother, on the other hand, was apparently all in favor. Go figure.) They were different times, seems unfair to judge by the "erk" standards of today.

Jesus its 1968....not biblical times...just seems very odd and creepy

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 25, 2014 05:09

Max'sKansasCity
gossip central...

Yeah Max, I clicked on the thread hoping it was about the reasons for his musical reclusiveness. Even if he's not the player/writer he was once, he still should pop in once in a while even if just to guest and play slide guitar on a blues cover at some buddy's UK gig. That Jeff Beck @ ronnie scott's dvd is case in point: while Clapton's up there, it looks like Jeff gives him an opportunity to come up too but Page must've waived it off.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 25, 2014 05:25

winter
Max'sKansasCity
gossip central...

Yeah Max, I clicked on the thread hoping it was about the reasons for his musical reclusiveness. Even if he's not the player/writer he was once, he still should pop in once in a while even if just to guest and play slide guitar on a blues cover at some buddy's UK gig. That Jeff Beck @ ronnie scott's dvd is case in point: while Clapton's up there, it looks like Jeff gives him an opportunity to come up too but Page must've waived it off.
thumbs up

It would be great if Jimmy took a page of Jeff Beck's book and did a couple of cool albums and then did some touring like Beck has done in recent years. I loved Jeff Beck's "You had It Coming".....

Jeff and Imogen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 05:27 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 25, 2014 05:39

I know Lori. I also used to hang out at Rodney's as a teenager. Although there wasn't the consensus on underage sex there seems to be now, Sable (Starr) Shields' parents sent the cops after her and Johnny Thunders when Sable ran away with him in '73. If the walls of the Hyatt House could speak, I guess a lot of people would be in trouble. But this was not the sexual abuse of, say, Jimmy Saville, or others taking advantage. The musicians were generally the prey.

Date: March 25, 2014 05:54

Max'sKansasCity
winter
Max'sKansasCity
gossip central...

thumbs up

It would be great if Jimmy took a page of Jeff Beck's book and did a couple of cool albums and then did some touring like Beck has done in recent years. I loved Jeff Beck's "You had It Coming".....

Yeah, I can't think of another veteran who reinvented their stylings so successfully as that trilogy of Beck albums; just stunning work which (for me anyways) made him the hands down winner of the veteran guitar brigade post-classic years glory. Steve Hackett's "Out of the Tunnel" is another guy who released amazing work 30 years after his peak.

I think with Page, he needs a competent MUSICAL (not vocalist) co-writer/producer like Beck had for those records. I thought Liquid Mercury from his 1988 solo lp was going to be the first step for some future type of instrumental work, along with his soundtrack work, which could lead him into that new territory. Beck's comeback trilogy is all the more amazing considering he barely used to write stuff.

Here's hoping we'll get something from him before the chops fall too far behind, but his lack of playing live with friends or rumors of recording seems to say otherwise. Which might be expected. After all, how many new records have we gotten in the last 15 years from the formerly prolific Who, Stones, Gilmour/Waters, etc? The well dries up; -It must be tough to stay inspired, or you have to have "the itch", which Beck most certainly did with his Who Else/You Had It Coming/Jeff trilogy.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: March 25, 2014 06:21

Members of the Stones could be guilty of this too, read Papa John's book...

Date: March 25, 2014 08:12

You Got to Roll Me
Aquamarine
His Majesty
Aquamarine

Jesus its 1968....not biblical times...just seems very odd and creepy

I know, I was around in 1968, and I remember the difference in attitudes. winking smiley And I agree with TeddyB1018 that this was very different from what people like Jimmy Savile got up to.

I also agree that I want to see Page become active again. He's still great at posing with guitars, and as of It Might Get Loud he could obviously still play--I just wish he would play more and pose less. sad smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 25, 2014 09:00

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 25, 2014 10:30

I'm going to the Jeff Beck gig at Royal Albert Hall on May 14th and hoping Jimmy Page may go on stage then. He will probably be watching the show. Jeff usually has one or two guests on his show .

I know I am living in hope but saw this on his website.

''Beck also said he’s not opposed to the idea of touring with old friend Jimmy Page; they last teamed up at the 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony for mindblowingly heavy instrumental takes of “Immigrant Song,” and “Train Kept a Rollin’.” “If you could talk Jimmy into appearing somewhere,” Beck says with a laugh. “He appears at the most unlikely events and then disappears again. He’s a dark horse, there’s no doubt. He’s got a completely private side to him as I have. But we have such a great laugh when we’re together and if he ever comes up for grabs, then it’d make a good package. But one wonders what he’d play. What would he play? I don’t know. He’d have to have the music sorted out and then we’d work.”

Date: March 25, 2014 10:41

Roger Daltrey has also expressed an interest in working with Jimmy Page:

"I'd love to do an album with Jimmy," Daltrey told BBC 6 Music. "He needs a singer to drive him." The two have worked together before, on a B-side for Daltrey's first solo album in 1973. "I don't sing the blues with the Who, but that's what I used to be before Townshend started writing," Daltrey said. "I used to be a great blues singer."

Further details at: [www.theguardian.com]

And here's Daltrey backed by Jeff Beck on Mannish Boy from London's Hammersmith Apollo on January 13, 2011.

Date: March 25, 2014 10:47

Jimmy Page playing guitar on a 1973 Roger Daltrey B-side, There Is Love.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 25, 2014 11:33

I was at that Apollo show in 2011 and so many great musicians and singers performing on the Concert for Killing Cancer.

Great night.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 25, 2014 11:58

Jesus guys, is this match still being played? I thought that Mick had banged in the winner in extra time.

Date: March 25, 2014 16:08

Silver Dagger
Jesus guys, is this match still being played? I thought that Mick had banged in the winner in extra time.

No SD, we're not still going on about RS vs LZ. BV just combined a recent Page thread onto this old thread.

crawdaddy
''Beck also said he’s not opposed to the idea of touring with old friend Jimmy Page; they last teamed up at the 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony for mindblowingly heavy instrumental takes of “Immigrant Song,” and “Train Kept a Rollin’.” “If you could talk Jimmy into appearing somewhere,” Beck says with a laugh. “He appears at the most unlikely events and then disappears again. He’s a dark horse, there’s no doubt. He’s got a completely private side to him as I have. But we have such a great laugh when we’re together and if he ever comes up for grabs, then it’d make a good package. But one wonders what he’d play. What would he play? I don’t know. He’d have to have the music sorted out and then we’d work.”

Cool crawdaddy; thanks for the info.

Posted by: heynegrita ()
Date: March 27, 2014 03:54

Hey, HBwriter, I just had to let you know that I think it's dismaying that your other threads about a certain ill-timed event and the ensuing aftermath have been closed or blocked from further postings. I don't frequent these pages often, but when I do it's because I know that here I can find other people who share the same level of devotion to this band that I have had for the past 35+ years. And being a woman definitely puts an extra layer of complexity to the relationship I have forged over the years to the Stones and to MJ. I won't bore you with the details of the countless hours spent reading books, watching footage and listening to the music, but suffice it to say it's been a hell of a lot! So when something earth-shattering happens to one of the people who has been a virtual constant companion to me, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT with like-minded people!!!! I understand that the moderator doesn't want crazy conjecture and 'negativity' running rampant, and this is his board, but now I kind of feel that unless you are in lock step with the RS PR machine in your views on this subject, your opinion is not welcome. So thanks for raising some interesting questions. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere to discuss them!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 27, 2014 19:43

This post actually motivated by some posts in that Beatles v Stones thread. However, what I remembered to have read, caschimann, was your post instead in this thread.

caschimann
It´s pretty simple:

Led Zep are the perfect Rock-Band.

My very Stones are the perfect Rock´n Roll-Band.

What attracts me by the Stones, is not caught by their being "the perfect rock'n'roll band". That only and only that. To me not primarily either, unless you refer to what I once myself in another discussion referred to by the following words

And in another thread not so long ago, DandelionPowderman, after first having used a more vague term, that at first puzzled not only me, came up with "wonkiness" and in one sentence presented it as
"That wobble, or wonkiness, is bound to be there when Keith is leading the band rhythmwise, and Charlie and Bill are masters playing around with it."

In that precise meaning I would myself agree to your view, but even then only in part. Not in that sense, I think it is to diminish what the Stones stand for. Which is rock'n'roll, rock, R&B, blues, soul, pop and much that cannot be easily subsumed under those more or less broad categories.

I am not always sure what I myself should understand by 'rock'n'roll' as contrasted by 'rock', even if I have some vague ideas. Even less I would know what you or other posters as well mean by that term.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:32

stones = music you dance to

zep = music you play air guitar to

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1430
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home