Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 53
Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2014 18:42

I bought the Japanese box set as well several years ago at a great discount price via Popmarket deal of the day, and it is a very nice package.
As for the new releases, won't be buying the basic Zep 1. The live disk 2 - while it's nice to hear - is something I can live without.
Maybe 35 years ago I would have been chomping at the bit, but now...eh.

Pre-ordered the basic 2 cd Zep II and III disks, but not really too sure why now having listened to a couple of the outtake samples.
Similar to when Pink Floyd released The Wall special edition (which I didn't buy)...kind of interesting to hear it once, but I think once was enough.
Thankfully a friend of mine burned a disk for me w/all the Wall demo's, etc., so I'm covered if I ever feel the urge to indulge in the esoteric again.

Looking forward to Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffitti, and Presence demo's and outtakes...but not sure if I am willing to splurge on all of them.

Re: OT: New (?) Zeppelin Recordings
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 25, 2014 18:53

whitem8
That is crazy treacle and I would be livid. I bought the Japanese box set with all the albums remastered in their original album covers. Very nice collection.

A bit ridiculous yes. I guess the album came out at exactly the wrong time...iTunes just out and record company freaking about piracy. Oh well!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 25, 2014 19:55

Forgive me for skipping 24 pages and asking a random question... BBUUUUUTTT... Is there any truth to the really vicious zep rumors? Folks sitting below the stage hitting kids in the knees with hammers, etc...? Satanic rituals etc...

And no, I do not have a time to search Google. Any Zep fans here will be far more knowledgeable than good ol Googster.

Date: April 25, 2014 19:58

"Folks sitting below the stage hitting kids in the knees with hammers, etc...? "

Awesome! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 26, 2014 03:38

Can't imagine these new remasters would sound better than the Japanese SHM-SACD's! With Godfather releasing their 18cd compilation of outtakes and alternate takes along with all the others we've got over the years how many totally unheard tunes are in their vaults?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 26, 2014 03:40

<<Can't imagine these new remasters would sound better than the Japanese SHM-SACD's>>

They don't have to--for those like me who never bought an SACD player.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: April 26, 2014 07:07

Is there anything on the "extra" discs that hasn't already been booted to death?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 26, 2014 19:34

Sighunt
I just got Celebration Day on Blu Ray and I cranked it up on my surround sound system and I was blown away by how good those guys performed at that show. Definitely a keeper. It's funny but I have always been a casual fan, but I'm finding myself going through a "Zeppelin" phase lately where 'm playing their stuff almost daily.

It's outstanding. The record and the video. Incredible.

Date: April 26, 2014 19:42

treaclefingers
BluzDude
I wonder if the companion disks will be available without having to repurchase the original material....OK, they say it's remastered, but so was Mothership which hardly sounded different than the originals.

On the issue of Mothership, how annoying...I bought the discs thinking I'd like copies of some of my favourite songs remastered, and found that they are copyright protected, so I can't rip them to my iTunes catalogue.

I know, first world problem, but still.

Huh? I copied it. You must've done something wrong.

Sounds pretty damn good too.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 26, 2014 23:24

GasLightStreet
Sighunt
I just got Celebration Day on Blu Ray and I cranked it up on my surround sound system and I was blown away by how good those guys performed at that show. Definitely a keeper. It's funny but I have always been a casual fan, but I'm finding myself going through a "Zeppelin" phase lately where 'm playing their stuff almost daily.

It's outstanding. The record and the video. Incredible.

Yeah too bad Plant refuses to consider even short reunion as it would break records for tickets sold I think.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: May 3, 2014 17:07

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BluzDude
I wonder if the companion disks will be available without having to repurchase the original material....OK, they say it's remastered, but so was Mothership which hardly sounded different than the originals.

On the issue of Mothership, how annoying...I bought the discs thinking I'd like copies of some of my favourite songs remastered, and found that they are copyright protected, so I can't rip them to my iTunes catalogue.

Really? Or maybe I have a different pressing? I have a couple of thousand CD's I've ripped to iTunes, so I'd have hoped I'd have figured it out! eye popping smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 3, 2014 19:41

Supergroup? Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Keith Moon & Nicky Hopkins:

Date: May 7, 2014 17:42

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BluzDude

Really? Or maybe I have a different pressing? I have a couple of thousand CD's I've ripped to iTunes, so I'd have hoped I'd have figured it out! eye popping smiley

Oh. iTunes. I copied mine to WMPlayer. I dunno. I only use iTunes for releases I can't get anywhere else.

Live In Texas - I copied it to WMP but I can't burn it to CD. It's too long? Yet... it's on a CD.

Date: May 7, 2014 17:44

iTunes, iPhone...

How come iTunes doesn't say @#$%& like i-Phone does - why is the ^ skipped? It's in order, 2345 and then 7. What's up with that?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 7, 2014 22:57

Mr.D
Can't imagine these new remasters would sound better than the Japanese SHM-SACD's! With Godfather releasing their 18cd compilation of outtakes and alternate takes along with all the others we've got over the years how many totally unheard tunes are in their vaults?

When was Led Zeppelin released on SACD ??

Date: May 9, 2014 00:35

I onfess I did not read this whole thread. But IMO LZ cant hold a candle to gthe way the Stones play the Blues. I imagine there are :Z fans out there who think that this is exactly their claim. That LZ was the grwatest Blues band. But IMo too heavy, and overblown.
I love when the go all Hammer of the Gods, and Viking ships etc; but not the Blues.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 9, 2014 00:53

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BluzDude

Before I spent countless hours ripping my cd's to digital, I finally settled on the Apple .m4a file types at 256 VBR. I knew FLAC's were out of the question as far as file size and compatibility with other components so my entire collection is in .m4a format now and sounds great whether on headphones, a portable, or my home hi-fi system. Most non-Apple components recognize .m4a's nowadays so I'm happy I made that choice.

Date: May 9, 2014 01:45

shadooby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BluzDude

Before I spent countless hours ripping my cd's to digital, I finally settled on the Apple .m4a file types at 256 VBR. I knew FLAC's were out of the question as far as file size and compatibility with other components so my entire collection is in .m4a format now and sounds great whether on headphones, a portable, or my home hi-fi system. Most non-Apple components recognize .m4a's nowadays so I'm happy I made that choice.

I went with Apple lossless, I think that is their equivalent of FLAC...happy with that decision so far. I'm not sure what the bit rate is on that though.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 9, 2014 01:49

treaclefingers
shadooby
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
BluzDude

I went with Apple lossless, I think that is their equivalent of FLAC...happy with that decision so far. I'm not sure what the bit rate is on that though.

It's essentially the same thing, as far as I know.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:31

Palace Revolution 2000
I onfess I did not read this whole thread. But IMO LZ cant hold a candle to gthe way the Stones play the Blues. I imagine there are :Z fans out there who think that this is exactly their claim. That LZ was the grwatest Blues band. But IMo too heavy, and overblown.
I love when the go all Hammer of the Gods, and Viking ships etc; but not the Blues.

Love it or hate it, to me Led Zeppelin was Blues on Steroids. Didn't realize it at the time, but that's what molded my guitar playing style.

Date: May 9, 2014 16:25

Palace Revolution 2000
I onfess I did not read this whole thread. But IMO LZ cant hold a candle to gthe way the Stones play the Blues.

Well, they have different styles of playing the blues. Is there a right or correct way to play blues?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 16:37

That is a good point gadlightstreet,
The big difference that tips it to the stones is their variety of their music, and the sheer volume of it. Zep is good, but they are quiet limited in variety and style. And also originality. They copped so much from other sources without acknowledging those sources. I do love them, but no contest between The Stones.

Date: May 9, 2014 16:53

whitem8
That is a good point gadlightstreet,
The big difference that tips it to the stones is their variety of their music, and the sheer volume of it. Zep is good, but they are quiet limited in variety and style. And also originality. They copped so much from other sources without acknowledging those sources. I do love them, but no contest between The Stones.

I don't see it as a competition. Originality regarding blues or do you mean overall? Zep has plenty of variety for the 8 albums they did. Sure the Stones have a much bigger volume of music - they should've stopped after UNDERCOVER! Zep, well, we know what happened there. As far as acknowledgment regarding the artists, well, the Stones certainly were better at it than Zep. Doesn't change the results though. People liked how Zep played blues. And whatever else. People liked how the Stones played blues, enough to make their cover of Little Red Rooster a successful single even.

The heaviness of Zep's blues is outstanding. The funkiness of the Stones' blues is outstanding. The Stones were great at what they did, Zep great at what they did. Where the Stones have the upper hand over Zep regarding the blues is the dirtiness of how they played blues. And the opposite applies - the Stones could never pull off something heavy or as heavy as Zep.

But if you want to get into comparing then the Stones suck compared to Elmore James, RL Burnside and Hound Dog Taylor regarding dirtiness, nastiness and feel with the blues!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 17:56

Yeah you have said that before about the variety of Zep's material. I don't hear it. Perhaps looking at III there is a bit of an argument there. But not near as much variety as the Stones. The Stones have brit pop, blues, country blues, country, rock, gospel, ballads, hard rock. So much more variety than Zep. Which makes them more prolific. I do like Zep, but I also can appreciate the Stones were more prolific and had larger variety in their material.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 9, 2014 18:30

I'd add that when LZ ventured in other musical territories it often sounded unwillingly parodic (e.g. "Dy'er Maker" with reggae or most of "LZ III" with the Bert Jansch-like songs).

LZ always had that OTT factor that sometimes made them ridiculous (to my ears anyway).

Date: May 9, 2014 18:45

There is a giant leap from LZ's Gallow's Pole-version to Achilles' Last Stand.

Where LZ always struggled, imo, was with creating melodies for Plant to sing on the brilliant music. Sometimes, the melodies are almost nonexistent...

Date: May 9, 2014 19:06

There's so much variety of styles on Physical Graffiti alone that the argument that they are limited in variety, style, creativity, originality, etc. is absurd.

Aside from maybe Zep I which borrows heavily but is still great, Zep II (give or take a tune here and there in the originality dept.), III, IV, Houses of the Holy, Presence,
and even In Through The Outdoor are filled with loads of originality and creativity. And with any tune that may be derivative of the blues or whatever from Zep I, II, etc.,
they certainly made it there own with the sheer volume and virtuosity...although they really should have given credit on a number of them.

Tell me....
How is Ramble On derivative and lack creativity?
How is Tangerine derivative and lack creativity?
How is The Song Remains The Same derivative and lack creativity?
How is Achilles Last Stand derivative and lack creativity?

As for Physical Graffiti - In The Light, Ten Years Gone, the Wanton Song, etc., etc., etc., etc....easily a top 10 album of all time imo.

I grew up listening to all this (along with Hendrix, Stones, etc.) in the '70's learning to play guitar, and while I don't listen to them as much as I used to back then,
when I do I thoroughly enjoy all of it. It's amazing to think back at the huge impact they had on the music world, and it's ashame Robert Plant couldn't find
the balls to continue with them after the O2 concert 7 years ago. He may have his reasons, but it would have been great had they continued for at least one tour.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 9, 2014 21:24

Palace Revolution 2000
yes L ZEPP can play the blues . have you heard ? i cant quit you babe, you shook me ,since ive been loving you. ZEPP can play the blues .jimmy page knows twelve bar blues .i could go on and on . go listen to the zepp records 1 and 2 and 3

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 10, 2014 00:16

Hairball
it's ashame Robert Plant couldn't find
the balls to continue with them after the O2 concert 7 years ago.

I agree with much of what you said, but not this part--I think it took tremendous balls NOT to continue, given the pressure he was under to do so.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 10, 2014 00:28

Overblown is the word. Imagine LZ recording a gentle delicate song like "Let It Loose" urgh!
LZ's forte was cock rock.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home