Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 53
Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: BUB ()
Date: July 26, 2013 20:52

Today one of the leading newpapers (Dagens Nyheter) in Sweden had an article about Alice Cooper. I saw him (in America) on the Billion Dollar Babies Tour, by the way. The Point is that Alice say´s that the only Rock bands is Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. I´ve seen Stones 19 times around the world but I´ve also seen Led Zeppelin - with John Bonham - at Falconer Theatre in Copenhagen 1979. It was their "warm-up" for Knebworth.

In Olso 1990 me and my wife saw Stones at Valle Hovin. Then we stayed at the same Hotel as Stones. We had our dinner in one of the hotel restaurants. My wife ordered sea bass and I had a fresh lobster. Much to our to surprise Stones entered the restaurant. I nearly crashed with Mick on my way out from the restroom (he was on his way).

We sat at an table 3 meters from the Stones table and Keith ordererd lobster for everyone - including his Papi Bert.

Later I got - on a Ringnes Beer Paper - an autograph from Keith and Ronnie.
The note read "Good Luck from Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood.

I´ll post it here - when i´ll find it.

And to BV: Thank You for your dedication and your extremely Labour Of Love!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2013 21:01

TimeIs
treaclefingers
Let's go by the years Zep was in existence or sort of, separated by a year at most:

Beggars vs. Led Zeppelin 1 - 0
LIB vs. LZ II 2-0
Sticky vs. LZ III 3-0
Exile vs. LZ IV 4-0
GHS vs. Houses of the Holy 4-1
IORR vs. Physical Graffiti 4-2
Black and Blue vs. Presence 5-2
Some Girls vs. In Through The Out Door 5-3
Emotional Rescue vs. Coda 6-3

yore winner and still champion, THE ROLLING STONES!

Great comparison, and I agree with all your choices! (OK, maybe I'd choose IORR vs. Graffiti, but that's just because I prefer the Stones. grinning smiley) (LIB and LZ II are really close, though. If it's Sticky vs. LZ IV, though, going by the exact year, 1971. what are the results? I might actually chose LZ IV there. Too close to call. Actually, there isn't any contest - it's Ram! I kid you not. smiling smiley)

yeah, very difficult to do an exact comparison year by year, as some years either one or the other didn't have an album. This was the closest I thought (mostly because I wanted Beggar's to go against Led Zeppelin I!).

It is a ridiculous thing to try and compare bands, particularly where the styles are so different. We're lucky to have them both, and the Beatles, Who, Kinks, Pink Floyd and on and on...

Posted by: BUB ()
Date: July 26, 2013 21:17

OK girls. I told you a True Story.

What´s this mathematical bickering???

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 26, 2013 21:28

BUB
OK girls. I told you a True Story.

What´s this mathematical bickering???

That's a great story! Do you have more details (that you had keith eating lobster made me hungry)? I mean, I wish I was there.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 30, 2013 06:37

>6th album good and the only decent thing they ever did without ripping off others.

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI? The one where they took credit for writing "In My Time Of Dying"?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 30, 2013 07:40

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
Rolling Stones Live Licks vs Led Zeppelin West Was Won 0-1
Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter vs Led Zeppelin Song Remains the Same 0-2
Rolling Stones Remasters vs Led Zeppelin Remasters 0-3
Rolling Stones Deluxe Editions vs Led Zeppelin Deluxe Editions 0-4

It's getting ugly when you compare movies and archival releases...

I'm not going near the other ones, but to parrot John McEnroe, "YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!", when it comes to Gimme Shelter vs. Song Remains the Same.

SRTS is MIND NUMBINGLY BORING! Gimme Shelter beats it by a wide margin.

An hour or so of staring at Robert Plants crotch.....bad camera angle....I get it!

Date: July 30, 2013 08:42

In Through The Out Door better than Some Girls????

BB vs LZ should be a tie, imo.

HOTH is their best album.

The Stones are more consistant on records, I think.

Posted by: landis ()
Date: October 19, 2013 01:07

The Rolling Stones had a great feel for rock and roll and I really prefer their almost Americana approach to the amped-up IMO lack of songwriting ability that is Led Zeppelin. For example Let It Bleed is such great album in terms of melding pop music with a roots approach.The Rolling Stones were actually were an underrated psychedelic band also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-19 01:09 by landis.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2013 01:13

Gee, I wonder how this would turn out on a LZ site?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 19, 2013 01:20

Let's take this subject to another level. LZ made great studio songs such as Misty Mountain Hop, Black Dog, Immigrant song.

They were simply not comparable to the Stones from a concert standpoint.

They were great and there were rumors on this forum about a come back tour 2014. I don't think they will.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 19, 2013 01:21

Exactly. I love both bands, which is why I'm staying out of this thread. It's like the Beatles vs. Stones thread--expressing "love" of the Stones by trashing another great band. It's obviously possible to think both are great in different ways, even if preferring one over the other, but that makes for less provocative reading. winking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2013 01:41

It's all a matter of opinions.

In the 1970's I lived and breathed Led Zeppelin, having seen them 18 times vs 4 times for the Stones, but I still liked the stones.

I could listen to every LZ (studio) record (except maybe III) over and over and over again, but I could only say that about 50% of the Stones releases back then, although I bought them all. We all have our reasons why we gravitate more towards one band than others.

And Zep was by no means perfect, for example, take Dazed and Confused. To listen to the Studio version, great. To watch them perform it live, also great. But to listen to a live 27 minute version on record, only every once in a while...but that's just me.

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: October 19, 2013 05:58

I dont think I could handle a very long Daze... if I were to see them.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: October 19, 2013 06:07

Stones are up front and leading... leaving the Zeppelin flagship far behind. Not having a drummer is holding them back I presume. Unlike them Stones who will once again resume... ahead.

All looks good for a Stones win in this match.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 19, 2013 06:39

DandelionPowderman

I love Zeppelin, but I agree with you on both counts. I enjoy In Through The Outdoor very much, but prefer Some Girls. If we're doing true comparisons in terms of time-frames etc :-

Let It Bleed v.s. Led Zeppelin II - Stones win
Sticky Fingers v.s. Led Zeppelin IV - Stones win
Goats Head Soup v.s. Houses Of The Holy - Zeppelin win
Black & Blue v.s. Presence - Stones win - though I'm not a huge fan of either.
In Through The Out Door v.s. Some Girls - Stones win. Though, I prefer the former to Emotional Rescue.

Date: October 19, 2013 08:41

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

I love Zeppelin, but I agree with you on both counts. I enjoy In Through The Outdoor very much, but prefer Some Girls. If we're doing true comparisons in terms of time-frames etc :-

Sticky Fingers v.s. Led Zeppelin IV - Stones win
Goats Head Soup v.s. Houses Of The Holy - Zeppelin win
Black & Blue v.s. Presence - Stones win - though I'm not a huge fan of either.
In Through The Out Door v.s. Some Girls - Stones win. Though, I prefer the former to Emotional Rescue.

That's also how I'd have called it down to the Emotional Rescue, although I am a fan of Black and Blue.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 19, 2013 17:58

Chris Fountain
Let's take this subject to another level. LZ made great studio songs such as Misty Mountain Hop, Black Dog, Immigrant song.

They were simply not comparable to the Stones from a concert standpoint.

They were great and there were rumors on this forum about a come back tour 2014. I don't think they will.

Love their studio stuff! Never was overly impressed with the live material that I have heard (although I would rate How the West Was Won as arguably THE live release to get that showcases the band in their prime).

Date: October 19, 2013 18:26

DandelionPowderman

BB vs LZ should be a tie, imo.

HOTH is their best album.

You must be joking...maybe you mean during the same time period?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 19, 2013 18:33

Big Al

No way.

Date: October 19, 2013 19:29

Led Zeppelin?

Fantastic.

The Rolling Stones?

Do I really need to say anything?

I feel blessed to have both of them in the world and would compare their relative merits/deficiencies about as readily as I would compare my ability to listen with my ability to speak.

Date: October 19, 2013 19:45

His Majesty
Big Al

No way.

way

Date: October 19, 2013 19:47

treaclefingers
His Majesty
Big Al

No

way

Date: October 19, 2013 19:50

His Majesty
treaclefingers
His Majesty
Big Al

I agree!

Me Too!
DITTO!!
THRITTO!!!

Date: October 19, 2013 19:56

grinning smiley

Date: October 19, 2013 20:03

His Majesty
grinning smiley

hot smiley

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 19, 2013 22:33

OK, here's to get some real fire going among the Zep-heads. While Zep's 77 US tour was a few years ahead of my time for travel, I have always been a HUGE fan and collector.

For my money, "Achilles' Last Stand" is their finest moment (and WHAT a HUGE moment!) and this is, worlds' away, their finest LP:

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 19, 2013 23:39

I think pretty much all of Zep's albums are masterpieces... but they are also tarnished by the plagerizing issue. Ever since it was proven that they "borrowed" SO MANY songs from others their reputation as being a great band was tarnished. I wish I didnt know that. I was greatly disaappointed to hear so many of their songs were plagerized.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 20, 2013 00:16

(I know I swore to myself I'd keep out of this thread, but) All the initially-blues-based bands that started in this era did that, though, including the Stones. Blues singers/writers themselves weren't too particular about writing credits.

Date: October 20, 2013 00:21

Aquamarine
(I know I swore to myself I'd keep out of this thread, but) All the initially-blues-based bands that started in this era did that, though, including the Stones. Blues singers/writers themselves weren't too particular about writing credits.

Indeed.

Date: October 20, 2013 00:34

Aquamarine

I guess they knew that illegal downloading would eventually be prevalent, and that the real money was in touring.

Just sayin'...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home