Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Sympathy For The Devil Guitar Solo
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 21, 2012 13:39

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
Mason doesn't play guitar on Dear Mr Fantasy.

Winwood, sorry...

As far as I know, he's never been "accused" of doing the SFTD-solo winking smiley

grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 21, 2012 18:24

He plays a similar lick in the beginning of this demo.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: September 21, 2012 19:54

71Tele
The dueling Richards/Taylor solos on the Ya Yas SFTD may be the strongest performance from not only the Stones, but from any band captured on tape.

YES! and why a 69 "bootleg" release would be so cool.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 21, 2012 20:39

jamesfdouglas
I never thought it wasn't Keith. I mean he pulls of a nicely similar thing on the Rock and Roll Circus...
I also never doubt about this. The way the notes are pulled are to my ears a 100% Keith. Listen to Carol 1964. It's the same sharp notes. I think you can visualise it on Godard's movie. If it was not Him, it would have been known for years.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 22, 2012 07:29

Mick's solo song SECRETS has the bit toward the end where Jeff Beck is doing soloing vaguely similar to that on SYMPATHY. (And a perfect example of where Beck's bland slickness sucks compared to Keith's feel and charismatic playing.)

Posted by: nico one ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:20

I thik Chuck has something to do with it ....

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 23, 2012 18:29

Title5Take1
Mick's solo song SECRETS has the bit toward the end where Jeff Beck is doing soloing vaguely similar to that on SYMPATHY. (And a perfect example of where Beck's bland slickness sucks compared to Keith's feel and charismatic playing.)
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 24, 2012 00:54

Man!!! .......I could watch this session for ever....wander if there is more............

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 24, 2012 09:45

NICOS
Man!!! .......I could watch this session for ever....wander if there is more............

Was Bobby Kennedy killed in the middle of these sessions? Because around 10:45 Mick sings "killed Kennedy" in the singular, not "Kennedys."

Anyway, the background of this filming is related in John Lennon's first ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE interview (11/23/68):

ROLLING STONE: "INTERNATIONAL TIMES recently published an interview with Jean-Luc Godard..."

LENNON: "Oh yeah, right, he said we should do something. Now that's sour grapes from a man who couldn't get us to be in his film [ONE PLUS ONE, in which the Stones appear], and I don't expect it from people like that. Dear Mr. Godard, just because we didn't want to be in the film with you, it doesn't mean to say that we aren't doing any more than you. We should do whatever we're all doing."

ROLLING STONE: "But Godard put it in activist political terms. He said that people with influence and money should be trying to blow up the establishment and that you weren't."

LENNON: "What's he think we're doing? He wants to stop looking at his own films and look around."

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 24, 2012 10:04

Didn't know the stones were 2nd choice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 24, 2012 10:36

His Majesty
Didn't know the stones were 2nd choice.

As far as I know, Godard wanted either The Beatles or The Stones, having not any preference (probably meant the same for him). The people in charge then probably approached The Beatles first.

- Doxa

Date: September 24, 2012 11:27

Title5Take1

LENNON: "Oh yeah, right, he said we should do something. Now that's sour grapes from a man who couldn't get us to be in his film [ONE PLUS ONE, in which the Stones appear], and I don't expect it from people like that. Dear Mr. Godard, just because we didn't want to be in the film with you, it doesn't mean to say that we aren't doing any more than you. We should do whatever we're all doing."

AHA! Dear Mr Fantasy! eye popping smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 24, 2012 12:01

Title5Take1
Was Bobby Kennedy killed in the middle of these sessions?

Yes

Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: November 1, 2016 05:30

ok, i'm on a deadline, but, read this whole 7 page thread. And must reply to this um, almost 5 years dead thread.

#1 It's obviously a Tele. I don't care if its LPC in the film.
(someone mentioned Page, Stairway... its cause he used a Tele on Stairway.)

#2 capos affect tone when used up higher, at least with me when i want it to. Mostly when bending. I can dig in harder with the pick because I'm not barring, or, the capo is fretting the note for me... its like a safety net... and super fun for fast riffing! good for cheating.

#2b he didn't use a capo, no need

#3 whats the big deal about the tone? Its just distortion. ya the Vox Supreme solid state. (but you can get almost that with a 75 buck Boss Distortion pedal & a Squier Tele) I own the Castledine Supreme bright-channel clone and its easy to get that sound.

#4 its an easy solo.

#5 its obviously Keith... not characteristic because its a freaking samba, a blues solo wouldn't fit, its a good hook that really pops in all that chaos. Granted he never used such overdriven tones for lead, being a purist...something guitarists generally overused. Jimmy Page actually reversed this, preferring dirt for rhythm and cleaner for lead... almost like a challenge. Because every guitarist knows its easier to get by with murder (technique-wise) using heavy overdrive.

#6 sidenote: i think Keith used the Tele/Supreme also really low-tuned on Satanic. You can hear some jammy riffs that sound really floppy on Sing This Song All Together.

There, i can sleep tonight.

Date: November 1, 2016 08:43

It IS a blues solo, I doubt it's a Tele and he had that sound on Citadel as well.

Date: November 1, 2016 09:29

I also doubt it is a Tele.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2016 10:06

I am sure it is not a Tele.

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2016 10:24

I know it is not a tele.

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: November 1, 2016 10:24

Absolutely not a tele...

Also think he's using a treble boost to get it to really scream

Have read the beginning and the end of this thread, but I'm assuming that someone in the middle must have pointed out that the beginning of this solo, that lick, is a relatively easy pick sweep on the 12th fret in standard tuning, with a hammer-on and bend on the 14th, which is quite a standard blues shape

Date: November 1, 2016 10:28

Yes it is an easy solo influenced partly by the Drar Mr Fantasy solo. The song that is the baais for sftd and Hey Jude.

Date: November 1, 2016 14:33

This was the first thing I learned to play on guitar

Taught myself, have never had a lesson, so this was impossibly difficult for me, took me a month of slaving over it before I got it down...

Date: November 1, 2016 14:57

Some short but very fast licks, and not all notes are hammer-ons. Ive never heard Keith play that fast again, before or after.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 1, 2016 15:14

Keith SFTD solos are awful for years.
2016 ones are purely horrible.
Even sad.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-01 15:16 by powerage78.

Date: November 1, 2016 15:17

TheflyingDutchman
Some short but very fast licks, and not all notes are hammer-ons. Ive never heard Keith play that fast again, before or after.

You better listen to Rock And A Hard Place on Live In Tokyo 1990 smoking smiley

Date: November 1, 2016 15:47

TheflyingDutchman

Fast licks, but all are fairly comfortable / standard blues shapes, no?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: November 1, 2016 15:53

powerage78
Even sad.

Sad but true. Amazing how the same guy who cut that great solo in the studio and played so great on stage has deteriorated into playing "solos" that barely deserve to be called solos. Keith will always be my hero but man, what a difference...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 1, 2016 16:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
powerage78
Even sad.

Sad but true. Amazing how the same guy who cut that great solo in the studio and played so great on stage has deteriorated into playing "solos" that barely deserve to be called solos. Keith will always be my hero but man, what a difference...

There's about 48 years between the recording of the solo and the last gigs....what do you expect?

Mathijs

Date: November 1, 2016 16:31

He did all right in that tent, though...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 1, 2016 17:06

A decent solo.

Mathijs
HonkeyTonkFlash
powerage78
Even sad.

There's about 48 years between the recording of the solo and the last gigs....what do you expect?

Mathijs

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 1, 2016 17:18

TheflyingDutchman

She Said Yeay

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home