Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: Sympathy For The Devil Guitar Solo
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 9, 2011 16:17

To my ears it does not sound like Keith's guitar tone, but a previous poster is right. It is a dead simple solo to play (the studio version of course).

Date: December 9, 2011 16:18

Of course it's Keith. He played all the string instruments on the song.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 9, 2011 16:20

I think after 40 odd years Dave Mason or Page would have claimed credit for that amazing solo..........pure Keith to my ears. Lots of stop/starts.

sc uk

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 9, 2011 16:30

punkfloyd
To my ears it does not sound like Keith's guitar tone, but a previous poster is right. It is a dead simple solo to play (the studio version of course).

You need to listen and/or pay attention to more 1967 - 1968 stones tracks.

That tone or similar is used a lot, It's on We Love You, The Lantern, Stray Cat Blues etc etc.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2011 16:34

stonesdan60
I've heard rumours it wasn't.
Please elaborate.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 9, 2011 16:35

Koen
stonesdan60
I've heard rumours it wasn't.
Please elaborate.

Please don't cos it's nonsense.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2011 20:20

Redhotcarpet

And this solo is is very, very similar to Noel Gallagher's on Champagne Supernova. Listen from around 4:50 onwards. Another borrow from Mr Gallagher!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 9, 2011 23:11

It's certainly Keith, though he gets a remarkably large amount of treble out of a Les Paul with humbuckers.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: December 10, 2011 00:46

Posted by: pinksuit ()
Date: December 10, 2011 00:50

Jeez. It gets really strange here. Even a comparatively simple solo is not Keith anymore? His musicianship is so strong here. nd it is the logical thing to do... That's what makes the solo so great: It is logic and simple. Imho pure Keith. All the others mentioned here would have played around too much. That very solo is exactly Keith.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 10, 2011 01:14

I never thought it wasn't Keith. I mean he pulls of a nicely similar thing on the Rock and Roll Circus...

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 10, 2011 01:28

Oh and BTW goosebumps all the way, still

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: December 10, 2011 01:33

Silver Dagger

It could easily be Dave Mason. Listen to the tone of his solo in Dear Mr Fantasy. Very similar. And it was Jimmy Miller who produced both of them.

Well, it was Steve Winwood on this one, not Dave Mason...

Date: December 10, 2011 01:47

His Majesty
punkfloyd

That tone or similar is used a lot, It's on We Love You, The Lantern, Stray Cat Blues etc etc.

Isn't that weird? After Beggars is just went away, he never used or got that sound and tone again. Unless I'm forgetting something but I don't think so. I've never read anything about him talking about that and how he got that sound/tone/everything.

Date: December 10, 2011 02:08

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
His Majesty
punkfloyd

Isn't that weird? After Beggars is just went away, he never used or got that sound and tone again. Unless I'm forgetting something but I don't think so. I've never read anything about him talking about that and how he got that sound/tone/everything.

Yep

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 10, 2011 03:01

I believe it's possible that the ear-piercing sound of the SFTD solo may have been inspired by the Lou Reed guitar solos that can be heard in this little ditty. Check out the solo that begins at 2:16.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-10 13:45 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 10, 2011 03:04

From Wiki:

"I Heard Her Call My Name" is a song by American avant-garde rock band The Velvet Underground. It is the fifth track from the band's second album, White Light/White Heat. It is a particularly loud, brash and aggressive song that features a pair of atonal guitar solos performed by Lou Reed and repeated use of piercing feedback. The heavy levels of guitar distortion is often said to have influenced punk music and heavy metal. Indeed, Zyklon-B Zombie by Throbbing Gristle uses the same rhythm and high levels of distortion, complete with the line "And then my mind split open!"

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 10, 2011 03:15

stonesdan60
Redhotcarpet
Of course it's Keith. It's not that technical or hard to play, the sound is the key. It sounds great. He plays some of those licks on the 1975 tour but it doesnt sound the same. I prefer the 1975 version btw.

I play guitar myself; self-taught, and have been told I'm pretty good. There's nary a keith lick that I haven't been able to figure out, but maybe it's a mental block - I can never unlock how to play that opening lick from the Sympathy solo. Maybe because the sound is so awesome, it intimidates me. I'm guessing it's easier to play than it sounds. I get the impression you know how to play it?

Have you ever tried using a capo to play it?
I am no expert, just offering an idea.

I have not done it for a while, but I think
I had better success using a capo for just that part.
It is one of the greatest/wicked licks ever, and I
never, ever heard Keith play it correct in concert.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 10, 2011 09:10

Max'sKansasCity
stonesdan60
Redhotcarpet
Of course it's Keith. It's not that technical or hard to play, the sound is the key. It sounds great. He plays some of those licks on the 1975 tour but it doesnt sound the same. I prefer the 1975 version btw.

I play guitar myself; self-taught, and have been told I'm pretty good. There's nary a keith lick that I haven't been able to figure out, but maybe it's a mental block - I can never unlock how to play that opening lick from the Sympathy solo. Maybe because the sound is so awesome, it intimidates me. I'm guessing it's easier to play than it sounds. I get the impression you know how to play it?

Have you ever tried using a capo to play it?
I am no expert, just offering an idea.

I have not done it for a while, but I think
I had better success using a capo for just that part.
It is one of the greatest/wicked licks ever, and I
never, ever heard Keith play it correct in concert.

Why would anyone use a capo to play a solo? Fail to see how that would help. The capo would have be on like, the 12th fret.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 10, 2011 10:00

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 10, 2011 10:54

71Tele
Why would anyone use a capo to play a solo?

Well, maybe someone who would like some more bite on his sound?

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: December 10, 2011 11:49

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-10 11:52 by King Bee.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 10, 2011 12:38

Sacke
Silver Dagger

It could easily be Dave Mason. Listen to the tone of his solo in Dear Mr Fantasy. Very similar. And it was Jimmy Miller who produced both of them.

Well, it was Steve Winwood on this one, not Dave Mason...

Absolutely not. Winwood does a great version of it now but the solo on the album version was played by Mason.

Date: December 10, 2011 12:58

It could easily be Dave Mason, but why would it? Keith plays guitar for the Stones.
Like Phillip says (and demonstrates) the Vox, LP set-up gives the sound. I agree with the sound fitting those days, those songs like Stray Cat and (good call on Sgt Pepper). Everything makes sense; the core of the solo is what Keith is practising, and has always played in that solo to this day.
I just don't understand why he doesn't brag on the solo. He knows it is an iconic sound and solo. Why does he not take more credit for it?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: December 10, 2011 13:39

Palace Revolution 2000
It could easily be Dave Mason, but why would it? Keith plays guitar for the

Exactly.

Mason played some Indian thingie on SFM and mellotron on Factory Girl. That's his association with the album. No guitar.

This is a silly thread

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 10, 2011 14:01

Blondie played it. tongue sticking out smiley So there. End of discussion.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 10, 2011 14:30

gwen
71Tele
Why would anyone use a capo to play a solo?

Well, maybe someone who would like some more bite on his sound?

Thank you Gwen smiling smiley
High five

SO THERE TELE!!!!smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2011 14:35

Wow, never knew about the Traffic connection! I have always thought that "Sympathy For The Devil", if any, comes musically out of blue - a true example of the originaliy of teh Stones. It is not just the guitar solo but teh whole chord structure and the feeling of the song, teh tempo... probably Jimmy Miller is the key - and connection - here but they surely did listen "Dear Mr. Fantasy" closely and 'borrowed' ideas from there, especially the guitar solo. Yeah, I am sure it is Keith there playing but he is more than "influenced" by Dave Mason's solo. To my ears it sounds like the striking, high-volume guitar sound is just made to make a difference, to justify or even hide the 'borrowing' (and still the resemblance is striking). Also the samba rhythm the song has, starts to sound like hiding the origin of inspiration, to make another difference. Listen YA-YA'S version, the origin comes better through, actually.

I don't even try to sound judging or moralizing here, I just find it amusing and interesting how the songs seemed to emerge. Just how it practically goes. We just had the Zeppelin plagiarism thread here, and now it starts to sound that it was quite a custom, even okayed at the time, that the 'bigger' guys stole ideas from 'lesser' bands. I guess they didn't even think there was anything wrong with that, so the term 'stealing' is anachronistic here. Perhaps it was like "oh we had this nice idea; it is great that someone else can work something even better out of it. Groovie, man!". I guess the idealism or hippie idealogy of the day might have something to do with - people didn't "owe" so much things but loved to share them.

(Anyway, it is interesting to speculate how much Jagger's original Dylanisque folk song - that has basically the same chord sequence - is co-incidental, and like, proposed by Miller, to be mixed to this Traffic scheme? Did Miller hear the resemblance? I think they all seem to grant that the dramatical changes they did to the song were proposed by Miller.)

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-10 14:45 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 10, 2011 14:53

Since Miller wasnt deaf he must have said something about it. They changed the tempo and production but kept the solo. Changed it a bit of course.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 10, 2011 15:26

Palace Revolution 2000
Why does he not take more credit for it?

... i'm puzzled: what would taking credit for it consist of,
other than signing his name to it and saying "yes that's me" when asked?

Doxa
I think they all seem to grant that the dramatical changes they did to the song were proposed by Miller.)

" ... I mean, Keith suggested that we do it in another rhythm, so that's how bands help you"
- Mick Jagger, 1995 (quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com] , along with a lot of other worthwhile statements from people who were there)

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home