Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2012 Tour
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 3, 2012 17:47

Last show on the first U.S. leg last night in Newark.
8:29 Bruce's intro

1. No Surrender
2. We Take Care of Our Own
3. Wrecking Ball
4. Badlands
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. BISHOP DANCED
8. HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY
9. Jack of All Trades
10. Candy's Room
11. She's The One
12. Shackled & Drawn
13. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
14. The Promised Land
15. Talk to Me
16. The Way You Do The Things You Do/634-5789
17. The Rising
18. Lonesome Day
19. We Are Alive
20. Land of Hope & Dreams

21. THE WEIGHT
22. Rocky Ground
23. Born To Run
24. Dancing In the Dark
25. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight!)
26. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

11:29 "See you in September!"

Date: May 3, 2012 17:49

Bruce doing The Weight. Last night as a tribute to Levon Helm.Thanks to Gazza for first posting.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 6, 2012 02:27

Bruce Springsteen joins ASL signers on stage at New Orleans Jazz Fest

By Dave Walker, The Times-Picayune

Holly Maniatty had just handed off to Edie Jackson and stepped off the American Sign Language translator platform at the base of the Acura Stage at New Orleans Jazz Fest. This was during Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's set on Sunday (April 29). The women were team-translating Bruce's marathon performance, which was nearing its conclusion with "Dancing in the Dark."

DAVID GRUNFELD / THE TIMES-PICAYUNE Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, play the Acura Stage at the 2012 New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival presented by Shell on the first Sunday April 29, 2012.

"I was looking out in the crowd, and this woman turned all white, and she started crying and she was shaking," Maniatty said. "I thought, 'Oh, gosh, where's medical?' And then I realized Bruce was coming over, and that's what she was reacting to."

Maniatty jumped right back on the platform.

Earlier in the show, both Maniatty and Jackson had noticed Springsteen taking an interest in what they were doing.

"We had some back-and-forth there," Jackson said.

"It was a really nice kind of private shout-out," Maniatty added.

Tom Petty and his band had given them both similar attention from the stage the day before. One Heartbreaker had even signed "I love you" to the women.
As the E Street Band vamped on "Dancing in the Dark" on Sunday, Springsteen tossed his guitar to a tech, bounced down off the stage and onto the side-stage translator platform. There, dancing commenced. Then all three signed the song's chorus.

"Musically oriented people don't pick up sign language right away," Maniatty said. "It was great to see him very quickly pick up on the signs."

Springsteen dancing with an audience member during that song is a rite that goes back nearly 30 years, to the 1984 MTV-ready video for the song, directed by Brian De Palma, during which the newly buff Boss pulls pre-"Friends" Courteney Cox onto the stage for an arm-swinging spin.

And, thanks to video, this dance has taken on an afterlife of its own. A YouTube clip taken by a nearby spectator (see below) had more than 2,000 views as of Friday (May 4), many apparently by members of the deaf community.

"A lot of people from all over the country have sent me emails saying, 'Oh my gosh, you got Bruce to sign,'" Maniatty said. "People who saw him signing were very touched by that.

"For them to see someone who's a music icon and an American icon use their language, which is not spoken ... One person said to me, 'I saw him sign, and I thought, 'Oh, maybe he thinks about deaf people listening to his music, too.' This person, I know, has been a fan of Bruce's music for 20 years.

"That was a paradigm-changing moment for them (from) someone they care about and follow.

"That one small moment has gone all over the Internet and all over the United States. People are very, very touched by it."

As were both Maniatty, an ASL instructor in Portland, Maine, and Jackson, who teaches deaf and hearing-impaired kids in Pawleys Island, S.C.

ASL-translation veterans of many festivals (Jackson signed Springsteen's 2009 Bonnaroo show) and concerts, both worked other stages during Jazz Fest's first weekend, including the Gospel Tent and cooking demos at the Food Heritage Stage.

"I've interpreted for Bruce a number of times, and that concert had a different feel from any of the other concerts I've done for him," Maniatty said. "It was almost like he was way more connected with the crowd, almost on some level more vulnerable.

"From the moment the show started, it was a very different feeling. He seemed so into bringing people into his experience."

Signing for a music performance requires preparation and stamina, said both translators, reached via separate telephone interviews a few days after the Springsteen performance.

"It's very intense. It's very stressful," Jackson said. "We kind of have a little idea of who we're going to perform, but you don't have a set list, you don't have lyrics. You basically have to learn all of that person's music, and when you're talking about Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen, that's a lot of music."

Translating a concert performance, Jackson said, is usually not a "word-for-word" process.

"It's much more conceptual," she said. "You're trying to convey the instrumentation, the whole big picture of the story, the emotion of the story. Sometimes that's easy and sometimes that's not."

Jackson had been assigned to do Al Green's concurrent show at the Congo Square Stage until about an hour before Springsteen's set. She'd studied a lot of Springsteen's older music - "His lyrics are just fabulous," she said - but wasn't as familiar with some of the newer material he played.

"His new stuff was challenging, but fun," she said. "It was certainly worth all the stress to have that little moment."

Which she punctuated by laying a parting thank-you smooch on Springsteen, also captured in the YouTube video.

"I totally did," Jackson said. "I couldn't help myself. I didn't want him to leave. It was so much fun."

Below, two videos.

In the first, Springsteen makes eye contact with Jackson on the translators' platform at about the 3:30 mark, then makes his move.
In the second, Jackson, Maniatty and Springsteen sign the song.

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2012 02:55

Great Post!! I love the informal setting- reminds me of Junior Walker and the Allstars impromptu sidewalk concerts! Shot Gun!! Shoot it up Baby!!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 6, 2012 03:50

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: May 10, 2012 13:46

keefriffhard4life
bluesinc.
I donĀ“t understand why 3 already released songs are on the new album? (deluxe version conains the 3rd)
LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS is being dedicated to clarence

not true. in the current rolling stone he says that he was lacking a positive track so he did this when clarence was still alive, though he never taped his sax solo, the took it from a live gig.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 10, 2012 20:14

mtaylor
gostonesforever
Young girl on stage with Springsteen. She'll remember that for a long time...

I would say "cheap trick" bringing kids on stage.

Never would like to see Mick bringing a little kid on stage.....

Bringing a fan on stage is tricky and can easily end up as a pathetic effort...or it can be a nice warm moment of the concert.

I tend to think that most of the times it ends up the first way, but I really enjoyed that one.

I mean it is generally okay to bring a fan on stage as long as it is handeled with taste and dignity and as long as it is not some 100 kg hysterical woman crying "Oh my God, oh my God!" What is really pathetic is to put those little moments on an official DVD, which some artists like to do. That is always a disaster.

But again - Bruce is classy as always and the kid will have a nice unique memory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-10 20:15 by Happy24.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 11, 2012 01:27

I think many times bringing a fan up is pre planned. Regarding that bruce video, the following night, he brought up a 4 year old girl who sang better and knew the lyrics better than the girl in the video posted.

I once saw Green Day where Billy went to the audience and asked if anyone could play the guitar part to Jesus of Suburbia (about a 10 minute song with 5 different parts). And the guy he brought on stage nailed it.

On the other hand I've seen U2 in the 80's bring people up to strum a guitar, and they had no idea what to do.

Date: May 18, 2012 06:12

Did any Euros go to the Barcelona show tonight? Incredible setlist:
21:50

1. Badlands
3. Wrecking Ball
4. No Surrender
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Out in the Street
8. Talk to Me
9. Jack of All Trades
10. Youngstown
11. Murder Incorporated
12. Johnny 99
13. YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH)
14. She's the One
15. Shackled and Drawn
16. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
17. The Promised Land
18. The River
19. Prove It All Night (w/ '78 intro)
20. HUNGRY HEART
21. The Rising
22. We Are Alive
23. Thunder Road
Encore
24. Rocky Ground
25. Born in the U.S.A.
26. Born to Run
27. Bobby Jean
28. Dancing in the Dark
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

00:50 Ended

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: May 20, 2012 06:11

Springsteen has once again proved why he is the greatest live performer. Incredible set list.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 20, 2012 08:58

sweetcharmedlife
Did any Euros go to the Barcelona show tonight? Incredible setlist:
21:50

1. Badlands
3. Wrecking Ball
4. No Surrender
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Out in the Street
8. Talk to Me
9. Jack of All Trades
10. Youngstown
11. Murder Incorporated
12. Johnny 99
13. YOU CAN LOOK (BUT YOU BETTER NOT TOUCH)
14. She's the One
15. Shackled and Drawn
16. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
17. The Promised Land
18. The River
19. Prove It All Night (w/ '78 intro)
20. HUNGRY HEART
21. The Rising
22. We Are Alive
23. Thunder Road
Encore
24. Rocky Ground
25. Born in the U.S.A.
26. Born to Run
27. Bobby Jean
28. Dancing in the Dark
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out

00:50 Ended

A 29-song set, and the man is nearly 63 years old!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 31, 2012 13:43

What a great show and setlist in Berlin

1. When I Leave Berlin
3. Wrecking Ball
4. Badlands
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Spirit in the Night
8. Hungry Heart (request)
9. Trapped (request)
10. Jack of All Trades
11. Youngstown
12. Johnny 99
13. Working on the Highway
14. Shackled & Drawn
15. Waiting on a Sunny Day
16. Save my Love (request)
17. The River
18. The Rising
19. Lonesome Day
20. We Are Alive
21. Thunder Road

22. Rocky Ground
23. Born in the USA
24. Born to Run
25. Glory Days
26. Seven Nights to Rock
27. Dancin in the Dark
28. 10 Avenue Freeze Out

Has he done before When I Leave Berlin and Save My Love?

What has happened to greasylake.org ? It was such a great reference site and now it says account suspended?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 31, 2012 14:31

I think its a server problem. Could take a while to get it back, unfortunately, going by a couple of posts on their facebook page.

Very unfortunate timing for it happen mid-tour - especially as the guy who runs it is 'on the road' at present!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 31, 2012 14:42

franzk

1. When I Leave Berlin
3. Wrecking Ball
4. Badlands
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Spirit in the Night
9. Trapped (request)
10. Jack of All Trades
11. Youngstown
12. Johnny 99
14. Shackled & Drawn
17. The River
18. The Rising
19. Lonesome Day
20. We Are Alive
21. Thunder Road

22. Rocky Ground
23. Born in the USA
24. Born to Run
25. Glory Days
26. Seven Nights to Rock
27. Dancin in the Dark
28. 10 Avenue Freeze Out

What has happened to greasylake.org ? It was such a great reference site and now it says account suspended?

When I rate a Dylan-concert it depends on how many songs he plays from the album 'Highway 61 Revisited'. Does he play 5 (the highest number I've been through at one concert) he get the concert grade 5.

For Springsteen, I rate him after how many songs he takes from the album 'Born to Run', and at this show, it was three, then get the concert grade 3.

But that's me....grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 31, 2012 14:56

Come On
franzk

1. When I Leave Berlin
3. Wrecking Ball
4. Badlands
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Spirit in the Night
9. Trapped (request)
10. Jack of All Trades
11. Youngstown
12. Johnny 99
14. Shackled & Drawn
17. The River
18. The Rising
19. Lonesome Day
20. We Are Alive
21. Thunder Road

22. Rocky Ground
23. Born in the USA
24. Born to Run
25. Glory Days
26. Seven Nights to Rock
27. Dancin in the Dark
28. 10 Avenue Freeze Out

When I rate a Dylan-concert it depends on how many songs he plays from the album 'Highway 61 Revisited'. Does he play 5 (the highest number I've been through at one concert) he get the concert grade 5.

For Springsteen, I rate him after how many songs he takes from the album 'Born to Run', and at this show, it was three, then get the concert grade 3.

And if he plays those three songs poorly?... winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 31, 2012 16:32

DandelionPowderman
Come On
franzk

1. When I Leave Berlin
3. Wrecking Ball
4. Badlands
5. Death to My Hometown
6. My City of Ruins
7. Spirit in the Night
9. Trapped (request)
10. Jack of All Trades
11. Youngstown
12. Johnny 99
14. Shackled & Drawn
17. The River
18. The Rising
19. Lonesome Day
20. We Are Alive
21. Thunder Road

22. Rocky Ground
23. Born in the USA
24. Born to Run
25. Glory Days
26. Seven Nights to Rock
27. Dancin in the Dark
28. 10 Avenue Freeze Out

And if he plays those three songs poorly?... winking smiley

The Boss???? Impossible....grinning smiley

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: May 31, 2012 17:06

I have been to the Frankfurt show last Friday. It was amazing.
3 hours and 20 min. Great song selection. Great audience. And of course a great Bruce with his E Street band.

Date: May 31, 2012 22:16

Berlin was actually one of the tamer setlists so far on the European tour.Some of the earlier ones were really great. I don't want to hear a lot of songs from any 1 album, I want to hear a lot of songs from all different albums.>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: May 31, 2012 22:20

Can't wait for Hyde Park in a few weeks.

Hope we get a three-hour-plus show as well!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: May 31, 2012 22:35

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: June 1, 2012 01:49

John1982
I have been to the Frankfurt show last Friday. It was amazing.
3 hours and 20 min. Great song selection. Great audience. And of course a great Bruce with his E Street band.

It was good a great show but how were the tshirts were they nice design?

Date: June 1, 2012 02:31

Mr Jimmy
Can't wait for Hyde Park in a few weeks.

Hope we get a three-hour-plus show as well!

Tom Morello and John Fogerty being added to the bill after the tickets sold out (much to my disgust!) should guarantee a few special moments indeed.

Date: June 1, 2012 04:22

Gazza -HB!---

Does this mean TM and Fogerty are only appearing for that particular show? I'm trying to figure out if you don't have tix for the show or you are skeptical if all show for Glastonbury? (please ignore the spelling)

Date: June 1, 2012 04:53

There is no Glastonbury this year, Chris. Every five or six years, they give the venue a break!

Hyde Park Calling (or Hard Rock Calling as its also known) is a festival over several days. Bruce is headlining it on 14th July, as he did in June 2009 (a show I was at)

Fogerty and Morello have been added to the bill in recent weeks. Considering their history with Bruce, its a good bet that one or both of them will play with him at some point that day, either as a guest and/or with Bruce guesting on THEIR set.

Didnt book tickets and wont be going anyway as I have already made plans to see him in Manchester on June 21st and at the two Dublin shows just after Hyde Park (July 17th & 18th). Had these acts been added before tickets went on sale, I;d probably have gone though - Fogerty is pretty high on my 'bucket list' and his UK visits are few and far between (and apart from the odd festival appearance never seem to stray outside of London)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-01 04:53 by Gazza.

Date: June 1, 2012 05:17

Sounds like you have a great plan. As goofy as this may seem - concerning Fogerty - he kicked ass on American Idol? with eventual winner? Can't recall the chap's name. The redention of HYESTR was kickass! He won... Fogerty may do multiple Brit sites?

Moving on - What is the tix situation over there? May I have to venture!! Especially where everyone speaks English! ( i live in Miami) LOL ....If anyone can't take a @#$%& then joke them!!

Go Bruce! Go Stones! Go MIAMI MARLINS!!

Date: June 1, 2012 15:00

Okay, so I was in Berlin two days ago to see another best concert ever :-)

It is hard to write something about a Springsteen concert that hasn't been writen here before - it was a 3 hour show with everything that one expect from the Boss. The best part for me was that I managed to get a great spot 2 meters from the railing. Then it is somehow given that it is gonna be a night one would never forget.

As usual, we got some nice surprises - Save My Love, Hungy Heart, When I Leave Berlin... but to be honest, the highlights for me were Thunder Road, The River, Dancing In The Dark... Since this was my second concert, I am really not one of those who keep on complaining about which song should have been played instead of which, if Bruce played 3 hours of standards, I would be okay with it, it surely would be great. The energy of the concert is something one can not describe really, one has to experience it. How he (and the whole band) can deliver more than 3 hour sows each night at the age of 63 is somehow beyond my understanding, but it feels great to be part of it. Bruce promissed to "rock our pants off" and he surely did, as he himself said at the end of the show :-) I will see him two more times this year and well, I can't wait...

Here are some of my pictures:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-01 15:02 by Happy24.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: June 1, 2012 17:31

I had a free ticket in Berlin.....and guess what. I was almost bored to death. What a singelong endless mainstream convert! Even worse than pathetic Bono and his U2.

Date: June 1, 2012 17:57

jamesjagger
I had a free ticket in Berlin.....and guess what. I was almost bored to death. What a singelong endless mainstream convert! Even worse than pathetic Bono and his U2.

Thank you for your great priceless thoughts! And let me guess, you had a free ticket for U2 when they played Berlin and...you were bored to death. I am so happy you have finally found a way to contribute to his forum.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-01 20:52 by Happy24.

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: June 1, 2012 20:09

Anybody here coming to see Bruce in my hometown of Vienna on July 12?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 1, 2012 20:19

jamesjagger

You had a free ticket to see someone you don't like, and you went? How stupid is that?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home