Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 19
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2012 Tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2012 01:19

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
Funny reading a band being dscribed as having a 'Vegas' sound based solely on the fact that they have a brass section.

Even though they first toured with one as far back as 1977, the roots of the band from day one are entrenched firmly in 60's soul music, their signature instrument (if any) has always been a saxophone and the reason for the horn section being used on this tour was primarily so that they werent faced with the dilemma of replacing the band's recently deceased and most recognisable member with a single musician.

I get that, but as a concert goer that haven´t seen Bruce since 1988, the change of sound was remarkable - not unlike another band we know well.

The problem wasn´t really the brass section. The problem was that we couldn´t hear what the guitars were doing during almost four hours of r&b music.

Sounds like there may be a spot for Keith in that case, in the E Street Band.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 26, 2012 01:19

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod
horns = vegas. sorry, but that's just the way it is. and there's nothing wrong with it, either. nobody needs to defend vegas cos vegas can stand for itself...or something.

so the studio version of "rocks off" is vegas? has horns. so does "heartbreaker"

hey, man. i don't make the rules, i just live by them...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 26, 2012 01:48

keefriffhard4life
StonesTod
horns = vegas. sorry, but that's just the way it is. and there's nothing wrong with it, either. nobody needs to defend vegas cos vegas can stand for itself...or something.

so the studio version of "rocks off" is vegas? has horns. so does "heartbreaker"

Vegas all the way here. He even has a jumpsuit!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 26, 2012 20:39

Expressen, Sweden's second largest tabloid have produced a special 100-page magazine in honour of Bruce's concert in Gothenburg tomorrow.
As usual Bruce is keeping himself fit by visiting a gym in, apparently, every town he visits. These pictures are from Gothenburg today.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 26, 2012 20:42

i'm prolly reading too much into this, but doesn't the boss look a little depressed in these pix?

Date: July 26, 2012 22:39

Wait til he finds out one of those f**kers dyed his hair green while he was posing for that photo!

Date: July 27, 2012 00:59

Bruce and gang visiting a rock festival "West Coast Riot" today in Gothenburg:

Date: July 27, 2012 01:12

Gazza
I was in the pit both nights in Dublin last week - standing just in front of the mixing desk each time - and the sound was too low and muddy for the first hour or so on the first night. Which is a bit strange, as the general consensus for this tour is that his sound has been MUCH improved. At the other show I attended - Manchester last month - I was in the same part of the stadium and the sound was great.

They did get it right eventually and the sound on the second night in Dublin was terrific.

To get back to the 'Vegas' thing - the definition of that to me is an act doing what is effectively a cabaret style nostalgia show packed with their greatest hits. The Beach Boys would be an example. A band who are rearranging their old material, playing largely random setlists and who are unafraid to play lots of new material is an evolving band, and a long way from being a 'Vegas' act.

It was the same here, only it lasted for 90 minutes this time.

I agree with everything you say, Gazza, apart from that I also define "Vegas" as the sound.

When I get Born To Run, I expect to hear the guitar riff smiling smiley

When you actually play soul, it´s nothing wrong with a horn section. I´m just as big a fan of Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett as the next guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-27 01:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: July 27, 2012 02:25

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
I was in the pit both nights in Dublin last week - standing just in front of the mixing desk each time - and the sound was too low and muddy for the first hour or so on the first night. Which is a bit strange, as the general consensus for this tour is that his sound has been MUCH improved. At the other show I attended - Manchester last month - I was in the same part of the stadium and the sound was great.

They did get it right eventually and the sound on the second night in Dublin was terrific.

To get back to the 'Vegas' thing - the definition of that to me is an act doing what is effectively a cabaret style nostalgia show packed with their greatest hits. The Beach Boys would be an example. A band who are rearranging their old material, playing largely random setlists and who are unafraid to play lots of new material is an evolving band, and a long way from being a 'Vegas' act.

I agree with everything you say, Gazza, apart from that I also define "Vegas" as the sound.

When you actually play soul, it´s nothing wrong with a horn section. I´m just as big a fan of Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett as the next guy.

Does it really matter what you define it as? It is still the best rock and roll concert you will see! Hands down!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 27, 2012 02:26

birdie
DandelionPowderman
Gazza

Does it really matter what you define it as? It is still the best rock and roll concert you will see! Hands down!!
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: July 28, 2012 00:09

Ullevi, Gothenburg approximately one hour ago:

Date: July 28, 2012 00:39

Setlist so far:

1 the promised land
2 prove it all night
3 cover me
4 something in the night
5 My love will not let you down
6 We take care of our own
7 Wrecking ball
8 Death to my hometown
9 My city of ruins
10 Spirit in the night
11 Girls in their summer clothes
12 Jack of all trades
13. Youngstown
14. Murder inc.
15. Johnny 99
16 Working on the highway
17 Darlington County
18 Shackled and drawn
19. Waitin' on a sunny day
20 Drive all night
21 The Rising
22 Radio nowhere
23 Badlands
24 We are alive
25. Born in the U.S.A.
26. Born to run
27. Rosalita (come out tonight)

Date: July 28, 2012 01:18

The last songs. The concert is over:

28. Seven nights to rock
29. Dancing in the dark
30. Tenth avenue freeze out
31. Twist and shout

Date: July 28, 2012 01:34

I don't know if this works but here are a couple of songs from the concert tonite: Bruce Springsteen

Date: July 28, 2012 01:51

A helicopter view of Ullevi during the concert: Ullevi, Gothenburg

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 28, 2012 15:54

New U.S. tour dates announced two days ago do not include S. Florida. There is, however, a 27 day window Sept 22 - Oct. 19 of opportunity. No concerts are scheduled in that time frame. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Date: July 28, 2012 18:57

Steve Van Zandt has to do some filming for 'Lillyhammer' at some point, so that may explain a few gaps.

I think there'll be a further leg of US dates in early 2013, however. Still quite a few markets that havent been visited as yet.

Meanwhile, a great version of "Drive all night" from Gothenburg last night

(I've now edited this video, replacing the 'fan' version with the pro shot footage uploaded by Bruce's own site a few hours ago. Superb footage)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-29 00:36 by Gazza.

Date: July 28, 2012 19:31

It's a hard rain falling over Gothenburg as we speak. Live Nation, the promoter, says the concert will take place anyway. Hope it clears up till the concert starts. Apparently Ullevi broke a new stadium record last night: 66 018 in attendance; more people than on the epic concert in 1985 when the fundaments of the stadium suffered some damages. Please watch the clips from yesterday's concert if it's available in your country. Don't mind the ads: they are only 15 seconds. See links above (earlier posts).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-28 19:34 by Stoneage.

Date: July 28, 2012 22:11

It's on. First three songs:
1. Who'll stop the rain
2. The ties that bind
3. Out in the street

Date: July 28, 2012 23:16

Apparently you can download all songs (with an exception of two songs) from yesterday's concert on Spotify for free. Sometimes I wish I were a Springsteen fan instead of a Stones fan. He has even put of a live video from yesterday on his home page. And he changes his setlist completely from one day to another. I remember when I used to think that when the Stones played two different songs on their setlist it was a masterpiece of improvisation!

Date: July 29, 2012 00:21

Songs so far:

1. Who'll stop the rain
2. The ties that bind
3. Out in the street
4. Downbound train
5. I'm going down
6. Lucky day
7. Lost in the flood
8. We take care of our own
9. Wrecking ball
10. Death to my hometown
11. My city of ruins
12. It's hard to be a saint in the city
13. Frankie
14. The river
15. Because the night
16. Lonesome day
17. Hungry heart
18. Shackled and drawn
19. Waitin' on a sunny day
20. Where the bands are
21. Backstreets

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 29, 2012 01:00

"Frankie??" I'm jealous!

Date: July 29, 2012 01:56

It gets better, Paul...

FOUR tour premieres on night two, and maybe the most emotional moment of the entire tour.

20:48

Intro -

1. Who'll Stop The Rain
2. The Ties That Bind
3. Out In The Street
4. Downbound Train
5. I'm Goin' Down
6. My Lucky Day
7. LOST IN THE FLOOD (request)
8. We Take Care of Our Own
9. Wrecking Ball
10. Death To My Hometown
11. My City of Ruins
12. It's Hard To Be a Saint In the City (request)
13. FRANKIE (request)
14. The River
15. Because The Night
16. Lonesome Day
17. Hungry Heart
18. Shackled & Drawn
19. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
20. WHERE THE BANDS ARE (dedicated to all the Tramps!)
21. Backstreets
22. Badlands
23. Land of Hope & Dreams

24. Thunder Road
25. Born in the U.S.A
26. Born To Run
27. Ramrod
28. Dancing in the Dark
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
30. JUNGLELAND ("This is for The Big Man")
31. Twist & Shout

00:25

3 hours & 37 minutes

(Clarence's sax placed on its usual spot for 'Jungleland'. Jake in tears at the end of it and hugged by the whole band.)

At first count, I make that 19 changes from night 1. Yikes.

Date: July 29, 2012 02:02

Attendance: + 68 000. Supposedly the band has broken some kind of public attendance record for two concerts in a row in Northern Europe.
Approx 66 + 68 = 134 000 attendants on two days. Here are the last songs:

22. Badlands
23. Land of hope and dreams
Extra:
1. Thunder road
2. Born in the U.S.A.
3. Born to run
4. Ramrod
5. Dancing in the dark
6. Tenth avenue freeze-out
7. Jungleland
8. Twist and shout

Date: July 29, 2012 02:07

Sorry if I made a double-post. I didn't see Gazza's post before I sent my post.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: July 29, 2012 02:48

Jungleland...

Incredible.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 29, 2012 02:53

Can't wait until November.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 29, 2012 03:12

I may correct the total public attendance figures for Bruce's two concerts in Gothenburg (Ullevi stadion). It's 132 579 according to Live Nation (the promoter). Still some kind of record apparently.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 29, 2012 11:14

Mr Jimmy
Jungleland...

Incredible.

...well it's about time!smileys with beer

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 29, 2012 16:12

Gazza
13. FRANKIE (request)

How come it's a request when they rehearsed this song a couple of times before the show?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home