Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 19
Re: OT:Bruce Springsteen 2012 Tour
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 13, 2012 15:07

Why is Springsteen so popular in Sweden? It seems he has got bigger fan base in Sweden than in Germany, which is usually the biggest rock market in continental Europe, and of course has much more bigger population than Sweden.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2012 15:21

Maybe it has to do with the things I mentioned in my earlier post. His music is more melody based and easier to get for the average listener. And, maybe, the fact that the social message behind Springsteen songs has more of an appeal to the society of today. And he has a fanbase that is 10-15 years younger than the Stones one. The generation born in the 40s is thinning out and they are no longer eager to go to concerts or buy records...

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:55

Bruce is popular in Sweden because that's one helluva country.Yeah, it's quite true that Springsteen's songs are quite catchy and easily accessible but the same could be said for the classic Stones singles or The Beatles' oeuvre.The guys simply knew how to conjure up a great melody eluding any common places in the process.Some of Bruce's songs do sound like rehashes of some of his previous tunes but the guy always had an exceptional pop sensibility that was also vital in building up epic tunes such as Backstreets and Jungleland

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2012 19:07

Stoneage
Time to swear in the church then. This astride, middle-of-the-road musclerock that Bruce is an exponent of has never caught my attention. To me many of the songs sounds alike as if it was the same melody strand behind every song. In Sweden, where Bruce is bigger than the Stones, we call it "Sosserock" or "Svennerock" as in "Average Joe" (or whatever...) rock. Not hard to get and easy to listen to rock that has an appeal to everyone. Except me then. But I must say that I always liked the drummer!

There are a lot of Springsteen albums which have nothing to do with this type of music.

They're also very good.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2012 19:37

I'm sure there is, Gazza. Of course I was generalizing a bit to make a point. I'm for sure no expert on Springsteen. And I know I was swearing in the church. Never got in to the habit of liking Bruce Springsteen that much, that's all. He is hugely popular in Sweden and play concerts here almost every summer...

Date: February 13, 2012 19:54

he's even more popular in Norway, in terms of ticket and record sales vs population size.

I'd assume that the appeal in Scandinavia is possibly down to English being so widely spoken in those countries.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:03

Yes he sure is incredible popular here in Norway. Even when he was doing the Pete Seeger stuff, which wasn't too popular elsewhere in the world, from what I understand

Date: February 13, 2012 20:29

Judging from what I know about Scandinavia and my impressions of these countries, people over there seem to have a very refined taste in music.It's much easier for me to find someone sharing the same interests music wise in Sweden or Denmark than in my own homeland.Now I don't mean to generalise. I'm sure a lot of Scandinavian people are also prone to listening to commercial crap but it seems that people in general are more likely to appreciate good music when they hear it. I can only guess why it is so.For one, as Gazza pointed out, English is pretty well spoken in these countries but I'd also factor in very high standards of education which certainly contribute to raising awareness of what good art should constitute.I don't have a sufficient amount of knowledge to back up this assumption but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-13 20:30 by stones_serb.

Date: February 13, 2012 20:41

Erik_Snow
Yes he sure is incredible popular here in Norway. Even when he was doing the Pete Seeger stuff, which wasn't too popular elsewhere in the world, from what I understand

That tour sold very well in Europe, so much so that it got two legs whereas the US only got one. Four shows in Dublin and one in Belfast sold out in a couple of minutes. 45-50,000 tickets for a sort of music that most of his fanbase wouldnt have been that familiar with. They could have sold twice as many shows, easily.

The 'non E Street Band' material is generally supported much better in Europe than it is in America.

Norway is, proportionally, the most supportive Springsteen market in the world. Its even got to the stage where Steve Van Zandt is producing Norwegian bands and starring in the 'Lillyhammer' TV series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-13 20:43 by Gazza.

Date: February 13, 2012 20:46

It's inexplicable to me how Springsteen is so much revered in certain parts of the world while remaining complete unknown for so many folks outside these countries.That might be one of the reasons why he never tours Eastern Europe

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 30, 2012 06:28

Great setlist for night #2 in Philly tonight:
Philly gets a trademark night #2 setlist. This is why you go to multiple Springsteen shows. :keithpunky :keithpunky :willya :willya
Intro at 8:23

1. We Take Care of Our Own
2. Wrecking Ball
3. NIGHT
4. Death to My Hometown
5. My City of Ruins
6. Thundercrack
7. Jack of All Trades
8. TRAPPED
9. Easy Money
10. Prove It All Night
11. DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN
12. Waiting on a Sunny Day
13. The Promised Land
14. Apollo Medley
15. STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA
16. The Rising
17. We Are Alive
18. Thunder Road
19. Rocky Ground
20. KITTY'S BACK
21. Born To Run
22. Dancing in the Dark
23. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

Thank you Philadelphia! We'll Be Back!
End Show: 11:11

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 31, 2012 00:41

Great moment the other night:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-31 00:41 by Justin.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 2, 2012 06:49

uhbuhgullayew
trainarollin
A couple more shots from Pittsbugh Nov 3 & 4, 2011

Looks a bit like De Niro:

Great photo of the Boss, i have to disagree, de niro look alike I dont think so.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 2, 2012 07:33

His concert in Washington DC tonight was absolutely phenomenal.

Date: April 4, 2012 06:28

Jersey night#1
8:26 Intro by Bruce

2. Wrecking Ball
3. Badlands
4. Death to My Hometown
5. My City of Ruins
6. SO YOUNG & IN LOVE
7. E Street Shuffle
8. Jack of All Trades
9. Seeds
10. Prove It All Night
11. Easy Money
12. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
13. The Promised Land
14. The Way You Do The Things You Do/634-5789
15. American Skin (41 Shots)
16. Because The Night
17. The Rising
18. We Are Alive
19. Thunder Road

20. Rocky Ground
21. Out In The Street
22. Born To Run
23. Dancing In The Dark
24. Land of Hope & Dreams
25. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

11:17

Date: April 5, 2012 06:16

Great night #2 setlist in Jersey.
A shorter but improved night #2 in Joisey!
8:22 Intro by Bruce

2. Wrecking Ball
3. THE TIES THAT BIND
4. Death To My Hometown
5. My City of Ruins
6. CANDY'S ROOM
7. JOHNNY 99
8. Jack of All Trades
9. Jackson Cage
10. She's The One
11. Easy Money
12. Waitin' On A Sunny Day
13. The Promised Land
14. RACING IN THE STREET
15. The Way You Do The Things You Do/634-5789
16. The Rising
17. We Are Alive
18. Thunder Road

19. Trapped
20. Rocky Ground
21. RAMROD
22. Born To Run
23. Dancing In The Dark
24. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out (w/video of Clarence on screen)

11:00

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: April 5, 2012 06:47

...and still playing just short of three hours. What a performer. Loving the high quantity of songs from The Rising so far, and dusting off Kitty's Back, great move.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2012 06:58

Erik_Snow

It wasn't too popular in the US either. I think I know both guys who bought that record. I say this as a Springsteen fan. Don't hate me.

Date: April 5, 2012 07:16

OneHit
...and still playing just short of three hours. What a performer. Loving the high quantity of songs from The Rising so far, and dusting off Kitty's Back, great move.
And changing the setlist with three to four tour premeiers every night and an everchanging setlist and a strong new album to play live.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 15, 2012 00:30

I am still recovering today from the one-two punch of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Buffalo, NY last night. By last nights standards, you wouldn't know that it was early in the tour. Bruce put on a spectacular show that clocked in about three hours long although it didn't seem like it. Of the highlights (of which there were many) were three energetic and powerful versions from the Darkness album: Darkness on the Edge of Town, Promised Land and Prove It All Night. Although not one of my favorite tunes, American Skin was delivered with much power and passion. The new tunes from the Wrecking Ball album appear to be made to be done live as their concert versions take on new color and dimension such as Jack of All Trades & Rocky Ground. The tribute to Clarence Clemons during 10th Avenue Freeze-Out was moving and very emotional. Finally, it was Max's Weinberg's birthday so by request, the band launched into a sledgehammer version of Ramrod which rocked the house! Bruce & company still got it. Last night wet my whistle for more. After last night's performance, this will not be the only show from this tour that this fan will be seeing.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 15, 2012 02:26

Buffalo News:

As the lights went down in First Niagara Center Friday night, a recording of Bruce Springsteen singing the old, traditional song "Buffalo Gals (Won't You Come Out Tonight?)" blasted through the P.A. while Sptingsteen and the members of the E Street Band took their places on stage.

Springsteen stepped to the microphone and led the band through several verses of the folk song before starting the concert properly with "We Take Care of Our Own."

"Wrecking Ball," the title song from his new album, and of the tour, followed.

Those two songs set the tone for what lay ahead.

From the first notes over the sound system, the audience in the full house was going completely ballistic.

The stage was The Boss' typical no-frills set-up, with a few large screens and room for the musicians to roam. Early on, it looked like they would need it -- Springsteen and the band were on fire, with the energy palpable right out of the gate.

When, after "Wrecking Ball," they switched it up for "The Ties That Bind," the crowd exploded. Spotlights raked the crowd, and everyone was on their feet.

The concert could not have been more anticipated.

The band, still in the early stages of its world tour behind Springsteen's No. 1 charting "Wrecking Ball" album, was performing on the Buffalo stage for the first time since November 2009, when Springsteen and company tore through a nearly three-hour show highlighted by a full rendering of his debut album, 1973's "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J."

Friday's show was granted significant emotional heft before the band even took the stage, for the now-fabled November '09 show proved to be the final performance with the E Street Band by saxophonist Clarence Clemons, Springsteen's on-stage foil for more than 40 years. Clemons died on June 11, 2011.

Springsteen didn't get far into the show before stopping to honor his good friend with a beautiful take on "My City of Ruins." During a midsong break, he took a roll call, mentioning every member of the E Street Band who was onstage. (It was a 17-piece version of the band, with a five-piece horn section that includes Clemons' nephew, saxophonist Jake Clemons.)

Once Springsteen had namechecked everyone there, he turned to the crowd and asked, "Are we missing anyone?" He repeated the emotionally charged question several times as the houselights went up, and then asked, again several times, "Do I have to say their names?"

As the crowd gave a vocal and visceral response, Springsteen himself never did say their names. Instead, he told his fans, "If you are here and we are here, then they are here."

And the show went on.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 15, 2012 03:27

Chris Fountain
Buffalo News:

Springsteen didn't get far into the show before stopping to honor his good friend with a beautiful take on "My City of Ruins." During a midsong break, he took a roll call, mentioning every member of the E Street Band who was onstage. (It was a 17-piece version of the band, with a five-piece horn section that includes Clemons' nephew, saxophonist Jake Clemons.)

Once Springsteen had namechecked everyone there, he turned to the crowd and asked, "Are we missing anyone?" He repeated the emotionally charged question several times as the houselights went up, and then asked, again several times, "Do I have to say their names?"

As the crowd gave a vocal and visceral response, Springsteen himself never did say their names. Instead, he told his fans, "If you are here and we are here, then they are here."

And the show went on.

Say what you want about Springsteen, the guy knows how to seize the moment by the heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 03:28 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 15, 2012 12:35

A pity Bruce plays Pinkpop in the Netherlands. Would have liked it better, if he wouldplay something smaller.
Rumours are, he will be back in holland in 2013.
Great performer
jeroen

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 15, 2012 15:53

corriecas
A pity Bruce plays Pinkpop in the Netherlands. Would have liked it better, if he wouldplay something smaller.
Rumours are, he will be back in holland in 2013.
Great performer
jeroen

Although he played Tampa on the first US tour leg, I'll have to wait until September or October before he reaches S. Fl. I hope he plays "Talk to Me" and "Rendevouz"thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2012 21:49

Sighunt
I am still recovering today from the one-two punch of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Buffalo, NY last night. By last nights standards, you wouldn't know that it was early in the tour. Bruce put on a spectacular show that clocked in about three hours long although it didn't seem like it. Of the highlights (of which there were many) were three energetic and powerful versions from the Darkness album: Darkness on the Edge of Town, Promised Land and Prove It All Night. Although not one of my favorite tunes, American Skin was delivered with much power and passion. The new tunes from the Wrecking Ball album appear to be made to be done live as their concert versions take on new color and dimension such as Jack of All Trades & Rocky Ground. The tribute to Clarence Clemons during 10th Avenue Freeze-Out was moving and very emotional. Finally, it was Max's Weinberg's birthday so by request, the band launched into a sledgehammer version of Ramrod which rocked the house! Bruce & company still got it. Last night wet my whistle for more. After last night's performance, this will not be the only show from this tour that this fan will be seeing.
Nice review sighunt. I've heard nothing but great things about the tour so far.Makes me happy that I made the crazy decision to go to 4 shows on this first leg.Flying to Cloeveland tomorrow to see the show tuesday.Then coming back to California to see all three California shows next week.It just doesn't get any better live than Bruce Springsteen.

Date: April 25, 2012 22:02

Last night in San Jose.3 hours and 10 minute show. Amazing.

We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Badlands
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
Thundercrack
Jack of All Trades
Murder Incorporated
Johnny 99
My Love Will Not Let You Down
Shackled & Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Backstreets
American Skin (41 Shots)
Apollo Medley
The Rising
Lonesome Day
We Are Alive
Thunder Road
Rocky Ground (with Michelle Moore)
Out in the Street
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2012 00:16

Amazing setlist for San Jose. No tour premieres I don't think, but possibly my favorite setlist so far. Only suggestion I would have had was switching out Shackled and Drawn for Easy Money just because I like the latter alittle better.

Date: April 26, 2012 03:01

RollingFreak
Amazing setlist for San Jose. No tour premieres I don't think, but possibly my favorite setlist so far. Only suggestion I would have had was switching out Shackled and Drawn for Easy Money just because I like the latter alittle better.
Right. No tour premieres. But some nice fan faves rotated in. A could do without We are Alive. But,small quibble when the guy just puts on an amazing show.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 26, 2012 03:55

Did you where Carlton recently said he patterned/invented the "Carlton dance"
after watching Springsteen dance with Courtney Cox in that video? [www.nhbgear.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-26 03:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 26, 2012 07:28

is he doing any politcal raps on this tour or steering clear? (I hope for the latter)

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home