Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 13, 2013 02:11

Ricky
treacle: as I said before: I don't have any info about this question, but I think is easy to make a bootleg copy of a CD box, and not so easy to do the same with a vinyl box.
If so many copies are emanating from Japan, well... that make me also be a bit suspicious...
On the other side, I read somewhere that the bootleg Mono CD Box was made in Korea and China, not Japan. Not sure !

What's the difference for bootleggers? Either you have a vinyl pressing plant or you don't but we know there are a gazillion bootleg/fraud copies of vinyl out there, so it's obviously worthwhile for them to do. If they're charging $580 a box, I'd think they're making their money back, as labour isn't costing them anything.

Particularly if the market is valuing the boxes at $800+.

As I said, I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem quite right.

Posted by: 48yearsaRSfan ()
Date: June 13, 2013 02:19

I have a page taken from the RCA Recording Engineers Log RCA LA Studio signed by Mick, Keith and Charlie circa 1965. LA estate sale find years ago.

Date: June 13, 2013 02:24

48yearsaRSfan
I have a page taken from the RCA Recording Engineers Log RCA LA Studio signed by Mick, Keith and Charlie circa 1965. LA estate sale find years ago.

That is very cool...is this something you'd feel comfortable scanning and letting us see?

Posted by: 48yearsaRSfan ()
Date: June 13, 2013 02:32

This is something I thought about selling but it is the crown jewel in a modest collection. I did not want to post a photo to prevent any fakes being made and good people being hurt, sorry. If I ever sell it I guess I could post a photo. I thought it ironic that the three members who signed the Engineers Log page were the current original members of the band.

Date: June 13, 2013 02:34

treaclefingers
Ricky
treacle: as I said before: I don't have any info about this question, but I think is easy to make a bootleg copy of a CD box, and not so easy to do the same with a vinyl box.
If so many copies are emanating from Japan, well... that make me also be a bit suspicious...
On the other side, I read somewhere that the bootleg Mono CD Box was made in Korea and China, not Japan. Not sure !

What's the difference for bootleggers? Either you have a vinyl pressing plant or you don't but we know there are a gazillion bootleg/fraud copies of vinyl out there, so it's obviously worthwhile for them to do. If they're charging $580 a box, I'd think they're making their money back, as labour isn't costing them anything.

Particularly if the market is valuing the boxes at $800+.

As I said, I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem quite right.

If you go to Amazon.com you'll see what I'm talking about. Only one copy on EBAY, $599 list price plus $50 shipping, with 6 days left, no bids.

here is amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 08:55

treaclefingers
Anyone have the 1964-69 Vinyl Box Set from 2010...holy moly good investment if you got it!

The cheapest I've seen it anywhere online is $580, but they're all from Japan and I suspect they may be fakes. For ones that seem legitimate, I've seen them for $800-$1300.

I think I make more money on my vinyl than I've ever made on stocks.
Wow , that's great treacle . I picked that up smewhere along the line and it sits in my Stones Room

Date: June 13, 2013 09:06

boston2006
treaclefingers
Anyone have the 1964-69 Vinyl Box Set from 2010...holy moly good investment if you got it!

The cheapest I've seen it anywhere online is $580, but they're all from Japan and I suspect they may be fakes. For ones that seem legitimate, I've seen them for $800-$1300.

I think I make more money on my vinyl than I've ever made on stocks.
Wow , that's great treacle . I picked that up smewhere along the line and it sits in my Stones Room

only one? that mean's you don't have a play copy.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 10:03

Correct !!

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:16

treaclefingers

If you go to Amazon.com you'll see what I'm talking about. Only one copy on EBAY, $599 list price plus $50 shipping, with 6 days left, no bids.

here is amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

OK. That's suspicious. By the way: the boxes are individually numbered.

I bought my copies of both boxes on the day of publication in a safe store.

Date: June 14, 2013 00:25

Ricky
treaclefingers

here is amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

Yes I know about the serial numbers...I wonder how many they ultimately produced, as there are 6 digits in the serial.

Have you opened one and kept the other sealed?

I found one last week in a record store Toronto, bought it after the show.

It was pricey, compared to what I previously paid, $270, but I figured if I could flip it and double, (not that I will), it was worth it.

Date: June 14, 2013 21:44

treaclefingers
Ricky
treaclefingers

here is amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

Yes I know about the serial numbers...I wonder how many they ultimately produced, as there are 6 digits in the serial.

It was pricey, compared to what I previously paid, $270, but I figured if I could flip it and double, (not that I will), it was worth it.

No. When I said both boxes I was talking about the 60s one and the 1971 onwards one. I open both.

Best

Date: June 14, 2013 22:28

Ricky
treaclefingers
Ricky
treaclefingers

here is amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

No. When I said both boxes I was talking about the 60s one and the 1971 onwards one. I open both.

Best

OK, I appear to be a bit more compulsive than you.

Did you do the digital downloads for both too?

Date: June 16, 2013 01:26

treaclefingers

Did you do the digital downloads for both too?

No! but I listened to all the collection.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: June 16, 2013 02:05

Ricky
treaclefingers

That is my understanding of this variation as well...I believe I've read it was for export market, Germany(?), early 70s.

I have a GYYYO version of this, with Mick Taylor autograph!

...or an export for the european market, early 70s.
Ask Jan Richardsson (http://www.stonesondecca.com/index.html)

There was a set of white label LP's issued in the early 70's. There has been a lot of ideas around why these LP's had a white label. The normal thing would be that they are promos, as normaly promos had white label. But in this case, they are not promo LP's. Then the export version has been offered. Yes, they might have been sent from UK to other countries. But, I bought a Satanic white label LP a few years back from the original owner. He was located in UK and he had bough the LP as new in 1973 from a record shop somewhere in UK. Why would only export LP's be on sale in UK itself??

I think that these LP's were pressed to promote the European 1973 Tour and for some reason Decca decided on using a white label. LP's were for sure sold as new in UK but maybe also in other countires.
I have not been able to confirm the origin or reason for these white label LP's and until today, no one else has been able to give me a confirmed fact on the topic.

I see them as 1973 Tour Marketing LP's sold i various countries

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: June 16, 2013 02:27

Abouth the white boxed labels pressed in UK.
I so far been able to find them on:
Aftermath
Satanic
Ya Ya's
Stone Ages

Inner bags on my LP's has date codes from 1973 and 1974

Here are two of them:

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: July 22, 2013 04:31

OK, I've gone through 'stages' of collecting stones vinyl...first of all in the early days, just trying to get all the albums, then to CD. Then, as I got a bit older and EBAY became prevalent, my tastes got a bit more esoteric.

Coloured vinyl, All the 45s, All the UK 45s, All the white label US promo 45s, then came SEALED!

Oh baby, SEALED....what can you say about sealed. ORIGINAL SEALED if possible. Nothing like it. Like a time capsule.

OK, here are a couple of twins from the collection (why buy only one?!):

US London Octagonals...love these

London/ABKCO (is this the first time ABKCO makes it's appearance known on an official stones release?) GYYYO

All four albums sealed, mint condition...one of the Ya-Ya's though sadly has a big tear in the outer bag...too sad.

Anyone else have any old SEALED vinyl??

Date: July 22, 2013 05:01

...and Jan, BTW, here is my GYYYO DECCA White label...I believe I've posted this on this thread before but can't find it...it has a Mick Taylor autograph on the cover....pretty minty condition otherwise:

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 22, 2013 09:54

The Ed Sullivan Show appearances in "Conquer America" as multi-colour vinyl edition (one out of 120 copies)

Atlantic City 1989 in first cover draft (one of 100 copies)

Live in Basel 1990 in golden cover book (one of 250 copies)

Date: July 22, 2013 16:18

Meise
The Ed Sullivan Show appearances in "Conquer America" as multi-colour vinyl edition (one out of 120 copies)

Can you post any photos Meise?

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: July 22, 2013 16:35

Meise

Don't be fooled..... Basel and Atlantic had hundreds if not thousands of copies more in that version than you indicate here. The Conquer America Vinyl had more than 500 copies in multi color.....

Date: July 23, 2013 02:20

Vocalion
Meise

Don't be fooled..... Basel and Atlantic had hundreds if not thousands of copies more in that version than you indicate here. The Conquer America Vinyl had more than 500 copies in multi color.....

Yes, 'Limited Release' is usually limited to how many they can sell.

I recall Plundered My Soul was to be 'limited' to 5000 units, but then very quickly after record store day discs with serial number at over 7000 started to appear.

THEN, we found out they released discs in Europe without any serial number.

Who the hell knows how many they pressed? I do, as many as they could sell.

Date: July 24, 2013 04:20

BOXSETS!!!

OK, here are two from my collection, although feeling lazy, I copied these from the official photos...

This one I bought for $160 the 1963-69 vinyls...apparently THE best version for Beggar's as it's mastered at the correct speed.

Vinyls clearly don't necessarily have to be old to be rare.

Pretty hard to find now and gone up exceptionally in price...I see it anywhere from $600 to $1400 on Amazon and Ebay. Incidentally, I originally purchased it on Amazon.de and shipping was cheap.

This one on the other hand didn't fare nearly as well (1971-2005), probably around $350-450 now, although again I bought this at around $160. It's been criticized for being mastered too loud with too much compression, unlike the previous box. I believe they were remastered by different engineers:

Anyone else pick these up, and more importantly...did you open them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-24 05:05 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 24, 2013 16:45

Do you remember Cut Outs?
I bought this in 1975 because of the cheap price when I was a kid.smiling smiley

Date: July 24, 2013 16:54

Cut outs and drill holes Toru san. As you know, they did those when the album did so poorly it was in the bargain bins...as this album was only released in 1974 it seemed to hit the bargain bins fairly quickly!

Funnily enough, I have a Ron Wood album from the 70s, Gimme Some Neck, that has a drill hole through it.

I've also got a second copy that is a promo.

Date: September 13, 2013 23:56

Vinyl Fair coming up this Sunday...I'm looking to get some interesting rare stuff.

What are the "must have's" still missing from your collection?

For me, I'd love to get the Miss You/Too Tough promo single from I think 1984...exceptionally rare.

I'm also missing the picture sleeve for the US London 45, Dandelion/We Love You.

Date: September 14, 2013 03:03

Just out of curiosity, have the Stones ever released Quadraphonic vinyls?

I remember many artists released Quad LP in the early 70's.
I used to listen to Santana, Chicago and many more with Sansui amplifier.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: September 14, 2013 04:51

Toru A

I have a few Pink Floyd quad albums... Dark Side and Wish you were here.
Never seen a Stones quad album but maybe some of the more serious collectors can answer.

I have Some Girls and Sticky Fingers MFSL Original Master still sealed.
They told me I was crazy when I went back and bought a second copy.

Date: September 14, 2013 05:18

Christopher
Toru A

I have a few Pink Floyd quad albums... Dark Side and Wish you were here.
Never seen a Stones quad album but maybe some of the more serious collectors can answer.

I have Some Girls and Sticky Fingers MFSL Original Master still sealed.
They told me I was crazy when I went back and bought a second copy.

Christopher san,

Thank you.smiling smiley
I always thought it would have been nice if they released percussive groove song like Can't You Hear Me Knockin' and Sympathy For The Devil on quad.
Jefferson Airplane, Jeff Beck and Allman Brothers recorded different takes on some quad version. It's interesting.

Date: September 14, 2013 08:00

I'm pretty sure no quad as of yet...we'd have heard of it by now.

SFTD on 5.1 from 2003...was that the first beyond stereo we ever got?

Date: September 16, 2013 20:24

Toru A

Bill Wyman released on Rolling Stones Records a quadraphonic version of Monkey Grip (RSR QD 79100) in USA.

Best

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home