Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Keith London book Signing
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 4, 2010 11:13

I do too Paul...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-06 09:16 by Harm.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 4, 2010 11:22

Mr Jimmy
Wow!!

I am completely shattered after a very early start and around 12 hours of queuing, with nowhere to sit. But it was so worth it.

Amazing to meet Keith, shake his hand, say a few words. He seemed in great spirits, said a couple of things in reply to what I said to him, which was lovely...

Great to see Paulywaul, Beast, SonicDreamer, and to meet Silver Dagger. And cheers ManOfWealthAndTaste for stopping by, was good to see you!

All in all a thoroughly exhausting but utterly fantastic experience. Thankyou SO much Keith, and best of wishes and congratulations to the other IORR'ians that made it!

Right, I'm off to bed. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I can only echo Mr. Jimmy's words - a shattering day but more than well worth it to get to shake the man's hand, tell him words to let him know you love him (as per sssoul's instructions!) and hear yourself be called darling in the reply. Fantastic to learn that Sonic Dreamer made it in the end - well done! Just before we saw him outside, I heard people being told in Waterstones that there were no more wristbands. Early in the day, we were told that Keith had been up half the night signing books. He was definitely well practised - we were all surprised at how quickly he was zipping through the signing. He was initially writing 10 under his name but seems to have stopped doing that after about the first 50.

The hours in the queue passed fairly fast with all the usual great camaraderie of Stones' fans. The only thing that did leave a bad taste in the mouth was the number of obvious e-bayers in our part of the queue - it was very sickening to know they were robbing a true fan of probably their only chance of getting their 30 seconds with Keith. It became apparent that book signings were a way of living for them and as already seen, they waste no time in putting their pickings on e-bay.

We were also given some promotional Wingless Angel bookmarks and the first five people got promotional T-shirts showing the cover of Life. I think the only person to get his own name signed in the book was the No. 1 in the queue, who'd been there since 4 a.m. Monday morning, so he well deserved it. He'll be on London Tonight this evening and on Sky News and no doubt in various newspapers. Security was really tight - everyone's bags and coats were taken away from them as they got near the table so that the only thing in your hand was the book, which had to be open at the same page as everyone else with the dust cover keeping down the opposite page. Then when your turn came, the book was taken from you and handed to Keith. No leaning over the table was the instruction and there was a person standing at each corner of the table to make sure there was none of that.

Monkeytonk got a copy as well - I'm sure he'll be on here when he's recovered to tell his tale of overnighting on the street and more!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 4, 2010 11:24

Harm
I do to Paul...

That's good to hear. What was particularly annoying for Beast and I yesterday, but almost every true Stones fan in that queue would have a similar story, was that right behind us was a group of four guys, one in his late 30s or maybe early 40s, and then three much younger, either late teens or early 20s. It was impossible not to hear their innumerable conversations during the day, and those conversations told a story; namely that they knew nothing about the Rolling Stones, nothing about Keith Richards, and that they'd attended countless other book signings expressly for the purpose of obtaining a "signed copy" and then selling it on Ebay. Whilst I reluctantly accept that this is something they're quite entitled to do, there's no law against it, and yes ..... it's the "capitalist system alive and well and in action", I still find it repugnant and offensive. It's difficult not to stand there as a diehard fan and SO look forward to having your 30 seconds in front of your hero, and at the same time realise that the people behind you or in front of you are as far removed from you in that respect as the earth is from the moon. They have no interest, no knowledge, they're just there to obtain the product, and then run home and stick it on Ebay for a ridiculous price. I find it offensive ... but hey, that's just me ! Maybe I should be a little less sensitive ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 11:48 by paulywaul.

Date: November 4, 2010 11:27

Did anyone notice if Keith took any breaks during his longer than expected signing session?

Posted by: JordiStones ()
Date: November 4, 2010 11:50

Thank you very much for the pictures. I'm glad the long wait in line worthwhile. Congratulations to all the lucky winners!

Date: November 4, 2010 11:55

Manofwealthandtaste
Did anyone notice if Keith took any breaks during his longer than expected signing session?

Dunno, but he certainly seemed to be rattling through them fast. Anyway, ten out of ten, it seems as if he did something over 250 in the end, because there were 150 gold wristbands alone, and IORR's SonicDreamer ended up getting a signed copy (well done David). If I'm not mistaken, he was given a black wristband with a number of 100 plus on it, I seem to recall 109 for some reason. Might be wrong. But in any case, that adds up to at least 250. Thanks and praises to Keith, because "the word" going round on the street outside as we were queuing in the very early morning hours was that he would arrive at 5:00 pm and do "some signings", it was not known how long he would stay and how few or how many he would do. We heard figures of "it could be 20, it could be 100".

Date: November 4, 2010 11:58

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 4, 2010 12:23

Well. It's the morning after the (2) nights before.

Got back home about 10 last night. had a complete blast. Staying out overnight. met some great people. spent the night before smoking and drinking with the other people who had decided to stay out. think about 50 people or so for the night.

Crackin experience. must reflect some of the sentiments already expressed here, there did appear to be an inordinate amount of people who didn't really tick the box for big Stones fans. Certainly more fair-weather fans and ebayers than I expected. But was nice to meet some fans that I recognised from this board. Paulywaul and Beast are good people!>grinning smiley<

True honour for me to meet the legend look him in the eye, shake his hand and thank him for changing my life for the better.

Roll on the next tour!

Keep on rockin

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 4, 2010 12:31

>> tell him words to let him know you love him (as per sssoul's instructions!) <<

ahhh thank you, Beast! and ain't his voice calling you "darlin" just beautiful

i've been pondering that 10 people have been reporting under his signature - is it ten, or 1-0 as in "one love"?

Date: November 4, 2010 12:36

with sssoul
>> tell him words to let him know you love him (as per sssoul's instructions!) <<

ahhh thank you, Beast! and ain't his voice calling you "darlin" just beautiful

i've been pondering that 10 people have been reporting under his signature - is it ten, or 1-0 as in "one love"?

Very beautiful indeed!! The 10 I think may signify 2010? It seemed to have a dot before it.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 4, 2010 12:38

Thanks for the comments and photos !
You seemed to have a great time .

Someone told that Keith looked "healthy" and in a good shape .What about his fingers ?
Do you think he wil be able to play on a big tour ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 4, 2010 12:45

Just sent this email to my mate Ove, who's a Stones Viking I met on the last tour. Thought I might as well stick it down here too!

Hello Ove, my friend.

Well what an adventure. My third time staying out overnight for a Stones related activity, other two being Virgin megastore on the vooodoo tour and Tower records on Bridges.

Finished work at 6.30 Tuesday night, went straight home and my mate dropped me off at Rugby train station, next train to London was at 8.30. finally got to London around 9.30. headed to Piccadilly, took me a while of walking around and asking people to finally locate the store. walked around for a while and ended up in Soho at one point! but finally found the store and que, around 40 people already there.

Stayed up all night smoking drinking and partying with anyone that was up for it. met some nice people but did seem like there were a lot of people that were not 100% stones fans. people wanting to sell the nook on ebay, or just wanted to meet anyone famous. Not that I cared. laughed and enjoyed the night, then by morning light, more people started to show up. in the morning the book shop opened up and everyone was let in to purchase the book if they hadn't already got a copy and receive a wrist band. gold for the first hundred or so and black for those after. Once you were issued with a wrist band you went back outside and got back in line all over again for the afternoon. Must have been some time around 5 that we were finally let in the shop. Waited for everything to settle, Keef came in and posed for media shots and such like, untill we were aloud to meet him one at a time and get our book signed.

After a few minutes I was in front of him. he was sitting down byt when I got up to him he stood up to shake my had and looked me in the eye. I told him that his music changed my life for the better and thanked him for the music.

Afterwards I got outside and was in a bit of a daze. A dream realised I phoned and text all my friends and family, totally buzzing, on a bit of a high that had nothing to do with what I was smoking the night before. 'Euphoric' is the best way to describe it.

Was a great experience. So glad I did it. Am now back at work, and amazingly no-body has noticed that I didn't turn in yesterday. Sweet!!!

It's a great life, and rock n roll is the perfect soundtrack

Date: November 4, 2010 12:49

paulywaul
Harm
I do to Paul...

That's good to hear. What was particularly annoying for Beast and I yesterday, but almost every true Stones fan in that queue would have a similar story, was that right behind us was a group of four guys, one in his late 30s or maybe early 40s, and then three much younger, either late teens or early 20s. It was impossible not to hear their innumerable conversations during the day, and those conversations told a story; namely that they knew nothing about the Rolling Stones, nothing about Keith Richards, and that they'd attended countless other book signings expressly for the purpose of obtaining a "signed copy" and then selling it on Ebay. Whilst I reluctantly accept that this is something they're quite entitled to do, there's no law against it, and yes ..... it's the "capitalist system alive and well and in action", I still find it repugnant and offensive. It's difficult not to stand there as a diehard fan and SO look forward to having your 30 seconds in front of your hero, and at the same time realise that the people behind you or in front of you are as far removed from you in that respect as the earth is from the moon. They have no interest, no knowledge, they're just there to obtain the product, and then run home and stick it on Ebay for a ridiculous price. I find it offensive ... but hey, that's just me ! Maybe I should be a little less sensitive ?

Those b*****ds got busy when they woke up this morning:

[shop.ebay.co.uk]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 4, 2010 12:50

There's an interview with Keith at Waterstones yesterday in the Daily Mail today.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: November 4, 2010 12:55

SwayStones
Thanks for the comments and photos !
You seemed to have a great time .

Someone told that Keith looked "healthy" and in a good shape .What about his fingers ?
Do you think he wil be able to play on a big tour ?

<<< What about his fingers ? >>>

Good question. Well both my and Beast's observations (we commented on this in a conversation we had after the signing) was that "in the flesh" so to say, the swollen knuckles looked somewhat less swollen/smaller than they always appear in photographs. Maybe it's true what they say, things always do look bigger in photos ... at least I think that's what they say. ANY PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS AMONG US ? PLEASE COMMENT.

Anyway, they (the knuckles/fingers) didn't seem to have the same appearance as in photos, that's the bottom line. He certainly did look healthy, and magnificently cool one has to say. It's past 5:00 pm in London on a November evening, it's already dark outside, and there he is in not a particularly brightly lit room (no additional lighting beyond that of the bookstore), and he's in his ubiquitous trilby hat with bandana underneath, wearing shades, cool scarf round his neck ... the man is a king !!

Date: November 4, 2010 12:55

Beast
paulywaul
Harm
I do to Paul...

[shop.ebay.co.uk]

It was those four prats in front of you - the big bald thug and his little mates. Didn't like them from the word go. I should have taken a pic of them. Grrr.

Date: November 4, 2010 12:57

Beast
paulywaul
Harm
I do to Paul...

[shop.ebay.co.uk]

Heavens above ... that is depressing.

Date: November 4, 2010 13:02

Monkeytonkman
Well. It's the morning after the (2) nights before.

Got back home about 10 last night. had a complete blast. Staying out overnight. met some great people. spent the night before smoking and drinking with the other people who had decided to stay out. think about 50 people or so for the night.

Crackin experience. must reflect some of the sentiments already expressed here, there did appear to be an inordinate amount of people who didn't really tick the box for big Stones fans. Certainly more fair-weather fans and ebayers than I expected. But was nice to meet some fans that I recognised from this board. Paulywaul and Beast are good people!>grinning smiley<

True honour for me to meet the legend look him in the eye, shake his hand and thank him for changing my life for the better.

Roll on the next tour!

Keep on rockin

And a true pleasure it was to meet you too, but now for the BAD news ..... WE are in your camper van for doin' the full round of gigs on the next tour, an' guess what ? YOU'RE drivin' ... WE'RE chillin' !!

Date: November 4, 2010 13:08

Silver Dagger
Beast

[shop.ebay.co.uk]

It was those four prats in front of you - the big bald thug and his little mates. Didn't like them from the word go. I should have taken a pic of them. Grrr.

Too right - we had the misfortune to be surrounded by them, as we had another four at least right behind us as well. Talk about tedious - just after Keith walked in, one of them (who never shut up complaining the entire time about the wait) says to another "Can you see the geyser?" The "geyser"?!? I could have really socked him one...

Date: November 4, 2010 13:12

paulywaul

And a true pleasure it was to meet you too, but now for the BAD news ..... WE are in your camper van for doin' the full round of gigs on the next tour, an' guess what ? YOU'RE drivin' ... WE'RE chillin' !!

LOL - you have been warned, Monkeytonkman! We were indeed pleased to meet you and we did also guess your name!

Date: November 4, 2010 13:16

Beast
paulywaul

LOL - you have been warned, Monkeytonkman! We were indeed pleased to meet you and we did also guess your name!

So where's the bad news? All sounds like good news to me. Lets Roll >grinning smiley<

Date: November 4, 2010 13:19

Beast
Silver Dagger
Beast

[shop.ebay.co.uk]

Too right - we had the misfortune to be surrounded by them, as we had another four at least right behind us as well. Talk about tedious - just after Keith walked in, one of them (who never shut up complaining the entire time about the wait) says to another "Can you see the geyser?" The "geyser"?!? I could have really socked him one...

Er .... Beastess my dear, dontcha mean "geezer" ? A "geyser" is one o' dem thangs wot spouts up water ... you know, like in Yellowstone Park n' all that (he says - furiously thumbing through a dictionary tryin' ta find da word "geezer"). Michael Caine for example, he's a "geezer". Then on the other hand, he's also a bespectacled twat who can't act, but I digress slightly ............ !!

Anyway, indeed, we were bloody surrounded by them, and that link you provided to the Ebay shop is testimony to how many of their type were in attendance yesterday. Truly annoying, if not depressing ... mutter mutter !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 15:28 by paulywaul.

Date: November 4, 2010 13:47

Oh yeah - thanks for correcting my Cockney! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 4, 2010 13:54

It would be nice to think that the wise and worldly Keith could tell the differance between a true fan and body language,speech etc.of a scalper of his book.Just a shame they get in the queue for big money(they hope),pick up a wristband that a fan should have, and possibly put true fans off.Not going because they maybe believe they might not get lucky.Let's face it,Keith only does a book signing in London once in his life and it is the best chance for most of us to meet the guy face to face.He certainly done well at Waterstones and heaps of praise to him.Roll on the next tour! smoking smiley

Date: November 4, 2010 14:01

More pix from yesterday guys and gals.

[/img]

Here's Steve - No 1 in the queue with the rest of the very front section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-04 20:53 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: November 4, 2010 14:33

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here is a short video from the book signing:

[www.spiegel.de]

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 4, 2010 15:11

Great pics, once more congratulations to everyone!!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 4, 2010 15:23

This picture is brilliant - from Brian Rasic. He wrote To Brian - One Love

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 4, 2010 15:39

Lovely pics. The one just above is PERFECT (Keith signing)! Well done, folks. Happy you had a good time.

Any pics of the SOB who's selling them on Ebay??angry smiley

Date: November 4, 2010 15:47

His left hand fingers look a lot better!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home