Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: Rolling Stones Gear Book
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 6, 2014 09:43

Palace Revolution 2000
RobberBride
corriecas
Nice book, but the info on songs recorded, demos etc, unreleased songs is not too great IMO.

jeroen

This is a problem I have with several Stones-books. Why would Andy include such info when the scope of the book is the gear? I see the peripherial reason but still...There are several great sites dedicated exactly to getting session stuff correct. As if that is easy.
And to illustrate this stupid point further, Martin Elliot's book about the Stones sessions included a lot of live stuff which I found very irritating.
Bill Janovitz book "50 tracks" found it necessary to include all sorts of background info about the Stones to fatten the chapters about a specific song and few new revelations about the song itself.

I love all these books, but IMHO, the authors should stick to the scope of the project. It would make the books better.

Good answer. the book is "Stones Gear". Why should there be info on unreleased cuts? I love info on the songs itself, but that is another book. And there are many of them.

On information, on the Back of the Book,it says that there would be info on unreleased songs. There is minimal info!!!!!!!!!

Jeroen

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 6, 2014 16:31

Just got this from Amazon:

Hello,

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on August 28, 2012:

Andy Babiuk, Greg Prevost "Rolling Stones Gear: All the Stones' Instruments from Stage to Studio"
Estimated arrival date: February 13, 2014 - February 18, 2014

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 6, 2014 16:50

Good to hear bleedingman. Could only imagine how anxious you are. A couple month wait was getting to me.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: February 6, 2014 17:49

I just received an e-mail from Amazon.com saying an estimated delivery date will be between Feb 14 - 20th.

Sure hope so. It looks great.

Rob

Date: February 6, 2014 21:37

Amazon emailed me, with the 12th as, my estimated arrival date.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: February 7, 2014 17:55

There will be a 24-page article about the book in the March issue of Guitar Player magazine.

Rob

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: February 7, 2014 18:03

Hands down the best book on the Stones in a long, long while!
I only wish I had more spare time.

The photos are great, lots of great stories and details.

Love it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 7, 2014 23:48

Here's a book excerpt:

[www.premierguitar.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 8, 2014 00:00

Cristiano Radtke
Here's a book excerpt:

[www.premierguitar.com]

Cool to know he interviewed Dave Hassinger. That's someone we haven't heard much from and he was part of a key and interesting period. thumbs up

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 00:04 by His Majesty.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 8, 2014 00:28

Lien
Have you ever played one of Keith Richards' Guitars? Andy Babiuk has. The Rochester musician and owner of Fab Gear in Fairport spent nine years working on a new book -- a comprehensive story of the Rolling Stones, told through their instruments. The Book will be released February 4th.

Micawber given to Keith by Eric Clapton??? Never heard of that before...

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 8, 2014 13:38

JumpinJeppeFlash

The famous image of Keith, Anita, Gram and Gretchen (decked out in two chairs) in Nellcote is called "Tele" and said by Tarle to have been taken hours after they picked up the guitar, a gift from Clapton, at Nice Airport. I guess this is the source?

In the Tarle scenario the guitar is in Keiths hands in late July 71, probably right after the break in. But other sources, Mathijs in the "Vancouver, Canada 1972" thread among them, states he had Micawber already in March 71, so Tarles info could be faulty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-08 13:57 by RobberBride.

Date: February 8, 2014 15:14

RobberBride
JumpinJeppeFlash

The famous image of Keith, Anita, Gram and Gretchen (decked out in two chairs) in Nellcote is called "Tele" and said by Tarle to have been taken hours after they picked up the guitar, a gift from Clapton, at Nice Airport. I guess this is the source?

In the Tarle scenario the guitar is in Keiths hands in late July 71, probably right after the break in. But other sources, Mathijs in the "Vancouver, Canada 1972" thread among them, states he had Micawber already in March 71, so Tarles info could be faulty.

Thanks! That's new info. for me. Ordered the book yesterday, this will be fantastic for us gear geeks!

Date: February 8, 2014 19:57

Chesterfield Kings members publish 'Rolling Stones Gear'

The publisher was expecting 500 pages. He got nearly 700.

Rolling Stones Gear: All The Stones' Instruments From Stage to Studio is as weighty as it sounds. Andy Babiuk's third book of musical archaeology, this one co-written with former bandmate Greg Prevost, is a coffee-table book — no, a coffee-table sized book — that's both eye candy for casual fans of the legendary rock band and an overwhelming encyclopedia for gearheads who want to see a photo of Keith Richards' 1954 Fender Esquire guitar with its original input jack.

Released this week, Rolling Stones Gear (Backbeat Books, $60) uses the same format as Babiuk's two previous books, Beatles Gear:All The Fab Four's Instruments From Stage to Studio and The Story Of Paul A. Bigsby: The Father Of The Modern Electric Solidbody Guitar.

It is a lavish blend of arresting graphic design with text that meanders from the academic ("The 24½-inch scale Flying V guitars were built of korina, a trade name for white limba, a West African hardwood ..." ) to the historical ("At the Stones' insistence, Jack Good had booked the legendary Howlin' Wolf on the same Shindig! episode ..." ) and the salacious ("Keith, who had begun adding heroin to his array of intoxicants ..." ).

"Both Beatles Gear and this book are supposed to be historical documents for something super important," Babiuk says. "How was that music done?"

The men behind the book

Babiuk and Prevost are in a firsthand position to understand how the music was made. Their Rochester-based band, the acclaimed garage-rock revivalists The Chesterfield Kings, smelled as Stonesy as one of Bill Wyman's old Linear-Concord tube amps (there's a photo of one on page 46).

Babiuk owns the Fairport boutique guitar shop Andy Babiuk's Fab Gear and is a guitar consultant for major auction houses and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. He is in the midst of a national promotional tour for the book. His new band, signed to Universal Records, is releasing an album at the end of the summer. He's also working on a new version of Beatles Gear that will almost double its current 256 pages.

Prevost has been a writer for a host of underground fanzines for years, and does consulting work in the world of vintage rock, television and film.

They each had separate scheduled book events on Saturday; Babiuk will also do a signing at 3 p.m. March 1 at Record Archive. One book, separate events: The longtime rock and roll partners, next-door neighbors in Charlotte and now co-authors haven't spoken to each other in months.

Prevost says he spent 10 years researching the Stones, unraveling mysteries such as what songs were recorded in what sessions, laying out a basic structure of the band's history, wondering, "Am I wasting my time?"

But talking to guys like Dave Hassinger, who produced much of the Stones' best-known work, was the reward. Hassinger shared the story with Prevost of how his third wife offered some Valium to keyboardist Jack Niztsche at a Stones recording session. Mick Jagger took note of it and wrote "Mother's Little Helper."

"I must have read the thing six times and was getting sick of it," says Prevost. "But when it came here to the house, I started looking at it and said, 'Wow, it's kinda good.' "

The key to Rolling Stones Gear was access. "I thought The Beatles were a tough camp to break; they were very guarded," Babiuk says. "The Stones were way worse."

Yet Babiuk, working through contacts such as the band's equipment manager, got through. He was backstage during concerts, taking note of how the band operates. He considers Bill Wyman to be the unofficial band historian, and visited the longtime Stones bassist at his London home. Richards allowed Babiuk to go through his thousands of guitars — most of which he never plays, stored in several locations in several countries.

The guitars are the key

It's the guitars that tell the Stones' story, and in several instances Babiuk proved useful to the band, "helping them realize the importance of various guitars," he says.

Babiuk stumbled across one in Richards' collection that he suspected was the Gibson "reverse" Firebird VII guitar that Brian Jones played during one of the band's appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. Just as he did in 2012, when the PBS show History Detectives asked him to authenticate the long-lost electric guitar that Bob Dylan used at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival, Babiuk used old photos to confirm the Firebird's identity by the guitar's wood grain.

Guitar Player magazine is impressed. For the first time in its 46-year history, a guitar slinger like Eric Clapton isn't on the cover; the new March edition features Rolling Stone Gear, accompanied by a 24-page article.

"I was at a convention on the West Coast last week and we went out for drinks afterward," Babiuk says. "And one guy told me, 'You're the only guy in the world who got The Beatles to play ball with you. Then you turned around and did it with The Stones.' "

See the authors

Greg Prevost has set up a 3 p.m. Saturday book signing at the House of Guitars, 645 Titus Ave., Irondequoit. He will play some of the acoustic Delta blues music that he's been writing the last couple of years. He'll be accompanied by a handful of local scenesters and former members of The Chesterfield Kings.

Andy Babiuk has a 3 p.m. March 1 stop at Record Archive, 33 1/3 Rockwood St.

[www.democratandchronicle.com]

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: February 9, 2014 07:52

5 pages of excerpted material here:

[www.premierguitar.com]

Date: February 9, 2014 11:30

I was in a books tore yesterday and the Stones were on the cover of 3 new guitar magazines: all dealt with Babiuk's new book.

Date: February 9, 2014 23:33

Ordered the book yesterday and it has already been shipped!!!
Will have it within a few days, they are very fast at amazon it seems:-)

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 10, 2014 00:08

I bought it yesterday at a book signing (where co-author Greg Prevost also performed some acoustic blues) at the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY where both of the authors live. A lot of old timers like myself who used to follow the Chesterfield Kings and knew Greg from the time that he used to work at the House of Guitars showed up. You can see that the book itself (which is one heavy sucker and loaded with great photos at 672 pages) was a labor of love for these two authors, and it is pretty up to the minute-charting their musical history up until their 50 and Counting Tour last year. Nice job Andy & Greg.

Date: February 10, 2014 00:22

I'm some what irritated that they mistakenly credit Jagger with harmonica on High and Dry. angry smileytongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 10, 2014 00:49

They shod make a book of the rat bag boogie thread!

Date: February 10, 2014 01:14

Koen
They shod make a book of the rat bag boogie thread!

It kinda is in a way. smiling smiley

Date: February 11, 2014 21:53

Just arrived!!!

Date: February 11, 2014 23:13

thumbs up Can't wait!

Posted by: AussieMark ()
Date: February 11, 2014 23:33

I pre-ordered mine from Amazon before Xmas, and it shipped last Friday, so I should have it next week I'd say

Cheers
Mark
[rollingstoned.com.au]
[facebook.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 12, 2014 00:00

My copy came yesterday. So far, it's pretty damn good. However, some stuff will no doubt cause some debate around here. I don't mean to spoil a lot of it, but a great deal of the text is a cut and paste from other sources. For instance, the CNIB benefit set list again has them playing Johnny B Goode, which is I believe what Bill's book has, which is incorrect.
I'm nitpicking, but, hey...
The pictures are fantastic.
So far, I'm not disapointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 01:29 by tomk.

Date: February 12, 2014 01:15

tomk
My copy came yesterday. So for, it's pretty damn good. However, some stuff will no doubt cause some debate around here. I don't mean to spoil a lot of it, but a great deal of the text is a cut and paste from other sources. For instance, the CNIB benefit set list again has them playing Johnny B Goode, which is I believe what Bill's book has, which is incorrect.
I'm nitpicking, but, hey...
The pictures are fantastic.
So far, I'm not disapointed.

x2

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:38

Amazon uk now saying 3 March 2014

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 11:38 by King Bee.

Date: February 12, 2014 12:21

King Bee
Amazon uk now saying 3 March 2014

angry smiley

Date: February 12, 2014 20:16

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 12, 2014 22:52

Cristiano Radtke
[www.musicradar.com]

I am a bit baffled about this article...if this is the quality of the book -wich I did not see yet- I think it will be a huge dissapointment. The 'facts' stated here are just mere statements posted on this board, and there's quite some mistakes or ommisions. For example, that Framus bass was stripped by Wyman, it wasn't natural from the start (it was red and black), Micabre wasn't a gift from Clapton nor wasn't ever stolen from Nellcote, that LP isn't the LP Taylor bought from Keith.

Mathijs

Date: February 12, 2014 23:12

Mathijs
Cristiano Radtke
[www.musicradar.com]

I am a bit baffled about this article...if this is the quality of the book -wich I did not see yet- I think it will be a huge dissapointment. The 'facts' stated here are just mere statements posted on this board, and there's quite some mistakes or ommisions. For example, that Framus bass was stripped by Wyman, it wasn't natural from the start (it was red and black), Micabre wasn't a gift from Clapton nor wasn't ever stolen from Nellcote, that LP isn't the LP Taylor bought from Keith.

Mathijs

Seems you're mixing up the natural grain Framus with red and black larger bodied Framus he had.

They were available with a natural finish so no need to strip it.

[www.framus-vintage.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 23:17 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home