Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Request... Chet Flippos article in RS in 1977
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:18

I have had the article in 1977, but threw it away in the 1980´s for some reason. It was a good read, about this black period in the Stones history. Would be nice to read it again.

Could someone post it please, please..

Thanks

jeroen

Re: Request... Chet Flippos article in RS in 1977
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:27

I've found these two:

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

There's a lot of another articles he wrote for RS, on this link.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 12, 2014 01:31

I've got an original of the first pressing of "On the Road with the Rolling Stones". Is this rare? I don't know but I haven't read it for years and think I shall again, now that you mention it.

Come to think of it, I've got his first book "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 01:38 by shadooby.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 12, 2014 03:18

Thanks for the links!!! A couple that I haven't read before.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2014 06:59

God, they sounded like they worked really hard on Love You Live, for such piss poor results. The one side from the El Mocambo is all that matters. Mick was right, he should have released Angie with Mick Taylor, probably from the Brussels download we finally got officially. Hell, they should have released Philadelphia 72 and Brussels 73 before that wretched Paris concert.

When I think of the bust in '77 I'm reminded that I was reading about the Stones in a lot of the tabloids here like the Enquirer and Star. It wasn't until I saw them live in Cleveland in '78 that I truly understood how bad off Keith was. He looked a pale green heroin ghost on stage. Those were really tense days. Although the short tour went on as planned, nobody knew what Keith's final outcome from the Canada bust was going to be. And Rolling Stone was attacking them for being not so good in concert, which infuriated Jagger.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 12, 2014 11:33

"Nine months of listening to the Rolling Stones is not my idea of heaven." (Mick Jagger)

Well, I might disagree with him on that one. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 12, 2014 11:40

24FPS
God, they sounded like they worked really hard on Love You Live, for such piss poor results. The one side from the El Mocambo is all that matters. Mick was right, he should have released Angie with Mick Taylor, probably from the Brussels download we finally got officially. Hell, they should have released Philadelphia 72 and Brussels 73 before that wretched Paris concert.

When I think of the bust in '77 I'm reminded that I was reading about the Stones in a lot of the tabloids here like the Enquirer and Star. It wasn't until I saw them live in Cleveland in '78 that I truly understood how bad off Keith was. He looked a pale green heroin ghost on stage. Those were really tense days. Although the short tour went on as planned, nobody knew what Keith's final outcome from the Canada bust was going to be. And Rolling Stone was attacking them for being not so good in concert, which infuriated Jagger.

That's silly. There are beautiful renditions of Fingerprint File, You Gotta Move, IORR, Sympathy For The Devil (!), HTW, Hot Stuff, Happy and Star Star as well.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 12, 2014 12:28

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

That's silly. There are beautiful renditions of Fingerprint File, You Gotta Move, IORR, Sympathy For The Devil (!), HTW, Hot Stuff, Happy and Star Star as well.

Correct. Like it or not: it is an interesting album, to say the least. Fantastic document of the Stones 'anno' mid-70's live; taken from a couple of outstanding gigs (Paris & Mocambo), with loads of interesting stuff the band never or really rarely had done before & never or really rarely has done ever since. Keith, despite the obvious shambolic state he (& his life) was in at the time, is completely on fire. Plus: 'new boy' Ronnie is outstanding, throughout the whole four sides.

But we have to grant it to them who are making it the prime point of everything: MT is not on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 14:33 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 13, 2014 21:26

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Correct. Like it or not: it is an interesting album, to say the least. Fantastic document of the Stones 'anno' mid-70's live; taken from a couple of outstanding gigs (Paris & Mocambo), with loads of interesting stuff the band never or really rarely had done before & never or really rarely has done ever since. Keith, despite the obvious shambolic state he (& his life) was in at the time, is completely on fire. Plus: 'new boy' Ronnie is outstanding, throughout the whole four sides.

But we have to grant it to them who are making it the prime point of everything: MT is not on it.

I have tried repeatedly over the years to give Love You Live a chance, and it still hasn't registered. Maybe it was that particular show, but it just sounds so Vegas. This was the first chance for most of us to hear Ronnie Wood play classic Stones songs live, and it just didn't add up. On the other hand the El Mocambo stuff sounded raw and very Stonesy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2014 22:10

RoughJusticeOnYa

Like it or not: it is an interesting album, to say the least. Fantastic document of the Stones 'anno' mid-70's live; taken from a couple of outstanding gigs (Paris & Mocambo)

They certainly dealt with a dilemna when they put LYL together : putting out the most recent Stones sound? That meant ditching the 73 tapes with MT, that Jagger wanted out.

Then they worked with 75/76 material. The 75 stuff was old already cos it didn't have the B&B material.

So apart from FF everything had to be taken from 76 tapes. Which 76 shows were pro recorded? London and Paris.
London was the nadir of the whole tour and Paris wasn't that great (too much activity backsatge : all the drug dealers in Paris were there and were fighting to give Keff some free sample).
Tooooo bad they didn't record some German that were much better (bootleggers did) winking smiley

So making LYL must have been like pulling teeth.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 00:03

24FPS
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

I have tried repeatedly over the years to give Love You Live a chance, and it still hasn't registered. Maybe it was that particular show, but it just sounds so Vegas. This was the first chance for most of us to hear Ronnie Wood play classic Stones songs live, and it just didn't add up. On the other hand the El Mocambo stuff sounded raw and very Stonesy.
On Love You Live, you can start to hear their tiredness.
They were at that point where music was changing and they were lacking a spark and going through the motions live...at least that's what I hear.
But the El Mocambo side is one of best documents of the Stones live.
There's a bootleg version which includes a great, raw, soulful rendition of 'Worried About You', with Mick singing in full voice.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 14, 2014 01:10

Cristiano Radtke
I've found these two:

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

There's a lot of another articles he wrote for RS, on this link.

He Thanks Cristiano, but they are not those what i meant. It started with a phonecall from Jagger to Flippo in a hotel. And jagger wanted to talk about the problems.

Thanks anyway.

jeroen

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 14, 2014 11:12

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

Agreed. Brown Sugar is awesome as well. It's a good live album, but maybe a tad too long.

JumpingKentFlash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2285
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home