Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Rolling Stones Gear Book
Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 12, 2014 23:23

Mathijs
Cristiano Radtke
[www.musicradar.com]

I am a bit baffled about this article...if this is the quality of the book -wich I did not see yet- I think it will be a huge dissapointment. The 'facts' stated here are just mere statements posted on this board, and there's quite some mistakes or ommisions. For example, that Framus bass was stripped by Wyman, it wasn't natural from the start (it was red and black), Micabre wasn't a gift from Clapton nor wasn't ever stolen from Nellcote, that LP isn't the LP Taylor bought from Keith.

Mathijs[/quote

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-12 23:24 by RockinJive.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 13, 2014 00:43

Mathijs
Cristiano Radtke
[www.musicradar.com]

I am a bit baffled about this article...if this is the quality of the book -wich I did not see yet- I think it will be a huge dissapointment. The 'facts' stated here are just mere statements posted on this board, and there's quite some mistakes or ommisions. For example, that Framus bass was stripped by Wyman, it wasn't natural from the start (it was red and black), Micabre wasn't a gift from Clapton nor wasn't ever stolen from Nellcote, that LP isn't the LP Taylor bought from Keith.

Mathijs

I don't know why he said that in the article, regarding the Tele being stolen. In the book (I don't want to give all the details away), the Tele is not mentioned abmong the guitars stolen. AS for the Clapton reference, maybe it was a gift. And I don't know why they cose that LP picture. In the book, the Keith/Taylor LP is photographed.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: February 13, 2014 01:33

Gibson.com asks Andy Babiuk about a book that took nine years to complete.

[www2.gibson.com]

Keith Richards names his guitars: a notable being “Dice,” his Les Paul TV Junior…

Yep, “Tumbling Dice,” right? But no. When Keith gets a guitar, it’s not ‘cos it’s new and shiny. When he got this, it had this sticker on it like you’d find on a car or something, a picture of dice.
Keith likes naming his guitars, so it was going to be “Dice.” It’s another guitar used on a lot of live shows and many records, too. It’s one of Keith’s favorite guitars.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 13, 2014 08:00

Amazon says my book has shipped today hot smiley

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: February 13, 2014 08:58

Is there a lot in the book from the 69-72 period ?

Date: February 13, 2014 09:40

tornnfrayed
Is there a lot in the book from the 69-72 period ?

It covers everything, up to 2013.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 13, 2014 12:54

Has anybody in Europe ordered this from Amazon.com and received it?

I have mine still on pre-order from Amazon.uk, and as someone mentioned above that has been delayed AGAIN to March 3rd. Can not believe this.
Wondering about canceling it and reordering it from the US branch. However stupid that is.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 13, 2014 15:30

i got mine on order .cant wait .i got a killer les paul being built for me as we speak from the gibson custom shop.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 13, 2014 15:52

RobberBride
Has anybody in Europe ordered this from Amazon.com and received it?

I have mine still on pre-order from Amazon.uk, and as someone mentioned above that has been delayed AGAIN to March 3rd. Can not believe this.
Wondering about canceling it and reordering it from the US branch. However stupid that is.

Bought it from www.bol.com in the Netherlands and got it on Feb 4 for 42,87.
jeroen

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 13, 2014 17:38

His Majesty
Mathijs
Cristiano Radtke
[www.musicradar.com]

Mathijs

Seems you're mixing up the natural grain Framus with red and black larger bodied Framus he had.

They were available with a natural finish so no need to strip it.

[www.framus-vintage.de]

I know, but Wyman claims he had his stripped.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 13, 2014 17:39

Mathijs

I know, but Wyman claims he had his stripped.

Mathijs

Can you point me in the direction of where he say's this?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 13, 2014 19:38

Great book, but a little too heavy on the band's history.

If your buying this book, you don't need the train station, kitchen song writing, etc.

Date: February 13, 2014 19:45

MingSubu
Great book, but a little too heavy on the band's history.

If your buying this book, you don't need the train station, kitchen song writing, etc.

I agree, but that's probably an editor's call. I mean, in a book about Stones gear, why do we need to know that Keith became a father in such-and-such year.

I got mine from Babiuk's web site. Delivered in less than a week.
They may do international orders.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 13, 2014 22:45

Mathijs
Mathijs

Yeah, I think you may be right about the LP in the article. It seems they may have confused the Bigsby Burst on the cover with the one in the article. Keith used that one during the '72 tour and then Mick used it from '73 to '84 or thereabouts. Keith and Mick definitely used the Bigsby Burst at Alatmont and duing the '69 tour but the one pictured in the article? Hmmmm... Having said that, I know nothing about that LP prior to its appearence while cutting Exile just before the '72 tour. Anyone?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-13 22:54 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 14, 2014 01:30

OUTSTANDING WORK ANDY

I recieved my book last night and I am simply blown away. I ordered another copy today b/c I will wear this one out in no time.

There may be errors and ommissions but so what? Bill's books had errors and ommissions too. None us was "there" so no one knows the full story. This book is about as good as it's going to get in terms of something like this.

I thinks it;s phenominal and I'm happy with it.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 14, 2014 01:43

I received mine two days ago and have gone through sections and will look at in greater detail this weekend. Glad you are not bothered by the errors but the one Mathijs pointed regarding the Les Paul is fairly glaring. I might see more as I go through it but for all that I'm very excited to have it. It's been a long time coming...

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: February 14, 2014 03:51

I purchased this through Amazon Kindle Prime for $32.00. I'm into 1964. Very enjoyable book so far. It really details the equipment used as well as providing their history. A lot more quotes than other Rolling Stone history books. My favorite quote so far was from Ian Stewart on Brian Jones's guitar ability. I won't spoil it so you'll just have to buy the book and read it yourself. The book is huge and cumbersome to read but I already rate it 5 star. Very enjoyable reading about the history, the various guitars and amps. They literally started out on very lousy equipment. It's a wonder that they managed to get a decent sound at all. It's worth the money. A must have if you're a fan

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 14, 2014 05:00

A truly outstanding effort. I am very pleased with the book. It's a daunting thing to try to cover, and the authors do about as good a job as you could hope. Is it perfect? No. Will some be wishing that even more was covered? Of course.

In my very quick perusal so far, it appears that there is more attention given to individual guitars during the formative years, up to say early 70's. But this is not a criticism really. They acquired/used so many guitars that you can't have big full-page spreads for each one. In fact, if you are interested in details about a specific guitar that was used just a few times in, say, 1999 or whatever, it possible that more complete info devoted to that specific guitar has appeared at one time on this board (probably Mathijs contributed!). But that's to be expected really, as books by design are finite and must have a last page. And as far as I know, nobody has reached the end of the internet yet!

A really nice book, and smartly presented.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: February 14, 2014 05:22

Looks like a great read. I'll buy it when it comes out in an e-version.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2014 09:32

ChrisM
Mathijs
Mathijs

Yeah, I think you may be right about the LP in the article. It seems they may have confused the Bigsby Burst on the cover with the one in the article. Keith used that one during the '72 tour and then Mick used it from '73 to '84 or thereabouts. Keith and Mick definitely used the Bigsby Burst at Alatmont and duing the '69 tour but the one pictured in the article? Hmmmm... Having said that, I know nothing about that LP prior to its appearence while cutting Exile just before the '72 tour. Anyone?

As the story has been told so far, and hence for what its worth: Ted Newman Jones presented himself to Richards in the spring of 1971, and basically was accepted right away as guitar tech and friend. After the burglary in July 1971, Newman Jones was ordered to go to the US and buy a dozen guitars. He came back with Tele's, Strats, LP's and ES-355's. Most of the Stones guitars then came through him -the LP's and SG Custom used on the Winter tour 1973, the Juniors etc.

I am still waiting for the book. But I actually do expect the book to be quite complete, as the number of guitars used live and in the studio is quite limited. Richards might own 3000 guitars, but he only used a fairly limited number.

Mathijs

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 14, 2014 11:47

I had an email from Amazon UK this morning - they are trying to take the payment for the book, but it was ordered so long ago that the credit card I had then has long since expired! Looks like things are moving at last.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 14, 2014 15:41

Twenty-three page spread on the Gear book in the March edition of Guitar Player, including an interview with Andy Babiuk.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 14, 2014 19:04

Mathijs
ChrisM
Mathijs
Mathijs

As the story has been told so far, and hence for what its worth: Ted Newman Jones presented himself to Richards in the spring of 1971, and basically was accepted right away as guitar tech and friend. After the burglary in July 1971, Newman Jones was ordered to go to the US and buy a dozen guitars. He came back with Tele's, Strats, LP's and ES-355's. Most of the Stones guitars then came through him -the LP's and SG Custom used on the Winter tour 1973, the Juniors etc.

I am still waiting for the book. But I actually do expect the book to be quite complete, as the number of guitars used live and in the studio is quite limited. Richards might own 3000 guitars, but he only used a fairly limited number.

Mathijs

Why don't you write a book. Or will it be considered fiction.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 14, 2014 20:44

I really hope the book wont be a disapointment, i have my doubts though with Micawber being a gift from EC which is wrong. If that's the standard of the book it will be a disapointment.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 14, 2014 22:05

JumpinJeppeFlash
I really hope the book wont be a disapointment, i have my doubts though with Micawber being a gift from EC which is wrong. If that's the standard of the book it will be a disapointment.

I wont be dissapointed. Because from the outset I have been healthy skeptical to the thought of this being "the one final truth" about the RS gear.
It won't be. What it probably will be is a fantastic go-to book of lovely images and interresting info gathered with love and hard labor.

This forum is a living, breathing, lovely mess of knowledge and access, and what we have here is something that changes constantly. We evaluate, hate and discuss the most minitue details that this book can not do. Once its written its done. Thats why many aspects of this book wont surprise us. Our knowledge is a continous stream. And as sure as the book is released, it will be shot down on details and omissions. I love that. It makes the whole picture of the RS gear greater.

Im really looking forward to this book. Discussions and all. Bring'em on.

Date: February 14, 2014 22:47

As I said, it's gonna cause some consternation around here. For instance there's a quote from Nicky Hopkins where he said he was "hired to play on LSTNT."
It's footnoted from an interview. Of course Hopkins could be mistaken or...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-14 23:13 by tomk.

Date: February 14, 2014 23:04

tomk
As I said, it's gonna cause some consternation around here. For instance there's a quote from Nicky Hopkins where he said he was "hired to play on LSTNT."
It's footnoted from an interview. Of Hopkins could be mistaken or...

eye popping smiley

He contradicts himself... AND Keith. grinning smiley

Date: February 14, 2014 23:05

RobberBride

I wont be dissapointed. Because from the outset I have been healthy skeptical to the thought of this being "the one final truth" about the RS gear.
It won't be. What it probably will be is a fantastic go-to book of lovely images and interresting info gathered with love and hard labor.

This forum is a living, breathing, lovely mess of knowledge and access, and what we have here is something that changes constantly. We evaluate, hate and discuss the most minitue details that this book can not do. Once its written its done. Thats why many aspects of this book wont surprise us. Our knowledge is a continous stream. And as sure as the book is released, it will be shot down on details and omissions. I love that. It makes the whole picture of the RS gear greater.

Yes! thumbs up

Ace info and also fodder for lots of discussions. cool smiley

Date: February 14, 2014 23:25

His Majesty
RobberBride

Yes! thumbs up

Ace info and also fodder for lots of discussions. cool smiley

Yeah, there'll be a few. Such as Stu played marimbas on Satisfaction?
And he did miss Wood's white Tele that he played on the 1982 tour. No mention of that.

Date: February 14, 2014 23:29

tomk

Yeah, there'll be a few. Such as Stu played marimbas on Satisfaction?

Maybe the author or editor had a spliff or 3 when including that. smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home