Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Rolling Stones Gear Book
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:42

I got to meet Andy Babiuk at record Archive in Rochester, NY a few Saturdays ago. Signed the book for me. Great guy! Very humble and believe me he knows his stuff. We talked a little bit. I asked him if he would post on IORR. He said he doesn't have the time. His life is non stop.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:13

After a long time waiting, the book was just delivered to me. smileys with beer

Date: March 19, 2014 19:24

Good to hear that, More Hot Rocks!

It's a lovely book, right Cristiano? thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:40

Cafaro

To those who seem to find errors and omissions, go back a read the book. You may find that those "errors" and "omissions" are neither.
(Schillid...check out page 280).

There are some definite errors in there, that's to be expected though. smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2014 19:47

DandelionPowderman

It's a lovely book, right Cristiano? thumbs up

Yep, and I will need a long time to read it, too. I've just looked at some pages 'cause I'm on my worktime, but this book is awesome. Even if it has some errors or omissions, we've all got to thank Andy and Greg for their job. This is like the Stones' story being told from another perspective, very different from all the books we've already read about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 19:50 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 19, 2014 19:51

I've stopped myself from reading it. Waiting for warmer weather. This book deserves sitting out on the back porch, morning sun, coffee near by. Can't wait!!!

Date: March 19, 2014 19:56

MingSubu
I've stopped myself from reading it. Waiting for warmer weather. This book deserves sitting out on the back porch, morning sun, coffee near by. Can't wait!!!

Same here! thumbs up

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:24

At last my copy has been finally dispatched by Amazon uk.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 25, 2014 21:27

Satisfaction is coming your way, King Bee.

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: March 28, 2014 14:59

At lastsmiling smileyafer waiting nearly three years I have it,but looks like it was worth the waitsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: March 28, 2014 15:46

After having been very skeptical about this book I admit its great!
Some things obviously needs some revision and more good could have come out of each guitaranalysis, but the overall impression is very good. I also like the way he has included the info on studio outtakes, so that we know what equipment was used for those.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 8, 2014 13:32

The book arrived the last week and I started to read it three days go. I am some 100 pages into the book and I just love it. As I love guitars and everything around them, this book a real heaven for me. As others pointed out, there might be some minor errors, but honestly, I don't care at all. The amount of accurate information that the autors give us here is unbelievable. (Hey, how many "errors" are there in Keith's and Bill's books) It really is a book I would not dare dreaming about and now that I actually have it, it is a great feeling just to open it...Now I have to get the Beatles one too, which might be a bit difficult, I guess.

Date: May 8, 2014 19:52

Happy24
Now I have to get the Beatles one too, which might be a bit difficult, I guess.

It's not that difficult. The book is available at Amazon. You can also order it through Andy's website. I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere that his Beatles' book is about to be updated.

Date: May 8, 2014 22:01

Cristiano Radtke
Happy24

It's not that difficult. The book is available at Amazon. You can also order it through Andy's website. I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere that his Beatles' book is about to be updated.

When I met Andy in Rochester he did say that The Beatles gear book will have a supplement. About 300 or so pages.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 8, 2014 23:18

More Hot Rocks
Cristiano Radtke
Happy24

When I met Andy in Rochester he did say that The Beatles gear book will have a supplement. About 300 or so pages.

House of Guitars, one mess of a place, been there many times

Date: May 9, 2014 00:13

Happy24
The book arrived the last week and I started to read it three days go. I am some 100 pages into the book and I just love it. As I love guitars and everything around them, this book a real heaven for me. As others pointed out, there might be some minor errors, but honestly, I don't care at all. The amount of accurate information that the autors give us here is unbelievable. (Hey, how many "errors" are there in Keith's and Bill's books) It really is a book I would not dare dreaming about and now that I actually have it, it is a great feeling just to open it...Now I have to get the Beatles one too, which might be a bit difficult, I guess.
I have the Beatles one too; these books are amazing. The research...
I find nmyself reading some of the earlier chapters - in the Stones or the Beatles book - and it might just be one little paragraph for me. But I can see that there easily could have been a year of research, phonecLLS, missed appointments, involved. One picture of some defunkt little acoustic guitar. Incredible job by Andy and Greg.

Date: May 9, 2014 04:15

black n blue
More Hot Rocks
Cristiano Radtke
Happy24

House of Guitars, one mess of a place, been there many times

Last time I was there was in the early 80's. It was a mess then. Guitars were out of their cases leaning on each other behind glass show cases .But I met Andy for a book signing at The Record Archive in Rochester. Cool place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 04:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 09:20

Palace Revolution 2000
I find nmyself reading some of the earlier chapters - in the Stones or the Beatles book - and it might just be one little paragraph for me. But I can see that there easily could have been a year of research, phonecLLS, missed appointments, involved. One picture of some defunkt little acoustic guitar. Incredible job by Andy and Greg.

Yes, it is absolutely amazing. I can not understand how 1 or 2 people could get this together. I am only in the 1964 so far, but it amazes me how he even includes the information about which instruments were used during which studio session. I wonder if he is not making some things up. I mean not really making up, but as I said I am only 100 pages into the book and The Stones didn't have much equipment by that time, so it is quite logical to estimate what they used. I wonder whether it is partly guessing or whether even such information is really possible to seek somewhere. Anyway, it doesn't bother me much, I take it as a fact and I am happy :-)

I noticed that some words are spelled in a wrong way, like Alexis Korner/Koerner. Just a tip for the second edition :-)

Date: May 9, 2014 11:37

Andy got himself a little allstar band going now. I know there's Mac on keys, and Clem Burke on drums. E.Easton from the Cars on lead guitar. E.E. is a very good rock lead-guitarman.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 9, 2014 12:52

I ordered the book on may 2nd at amazon germany, and it arrived today (Switzerland). Man is it heavy ! For the gearhead and Stones fan in me, it's a dream come true. Beautiful !

Resotele

Date: May 9, 2014 13:30

Happy24
Palace Revolution 2000

Yes, it is absolutely amazing. I can not understand how 1 or 2 people could get this together. I am only in the 1964 so far, but it amazes me how he even includes the information about which instruments were used during which studio session. I wonder if he is not making some things up. I mean not really making up, but as I said I am only 100 pages into the book and The Stones didn't have much equipment by that time, so it is quite logical to estimate what they used. I wonder whether it is partly guessing or whether even such information is really possible to seek somewhere. Anyway, it doesn't bother me much, I take it as a fact and I am happy :-)

I noticed that some words are spelled in a wrong way, like Alexis Korner/Koerner. Just a tip for the second edition :-)

Most of that what was played on what session info comes from simply looking at photos from sessions and identifying the instruments.

The majority of detailed info on what was used on particular songs is best guesses based on what is seen at general sessions and what is heard. Of course sometimes the people involved have said what was used.

There's a bunch of gear that was typically used at a particular time, so not so hard to atleast get near to what was used on, for example, Please Go Home based on the gear they were shown using during August - December 1966. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 13:35 by His Majesty.

Date: May 20, 2014 21:25

No sign of it in my local book store, so just ordered it on amazon as a self present for my upcoming 39th birthday on Saturday. grinning smiley

Date: May 22, 2014 15:31

Some great details none of us managed to get, but also some terrible clunkers with regards to photo dates and dates of when things happened (Cooder jamming at Redlands for example), who played what and what certain instruments are on their recordings.

Great to see some of their guitars up close, especially the Maton. cool smiley

Much of it is iorr Ratbag Boogie threads in book form though. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-22 20:19 by His Majesty.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 22, 2014 20:09

His Majesty
Some great details none of us managed to get, but also some terrible clunkers with regards to photo dates and dates of when things happened (Cooder jamming at Redlands for example), who played what and what certain instruments are on their recordings.

Great to see some of their guitars up close, especially the Maton. cool smiley

Much of it is iorr Ratbag Boogie threads in book form though. grinning smiley

Any new (reliable) info on who played what on which track, and when?

Date: May 22, 2014 20:19

rootsman

Any new (reliable) info on who played what on which track, and when?

Not with regards to 60's recordings. I'm not interested in the rest. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-22 20:33 by His Majesty.

Date: May 22, 2014 21:12

[www.iorr.org]

thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-22 21:16 by His Majesty.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 22, 2014 21:50

Thanks, HM! smileys with beer

Date: May 22, 2014 23:48

After deeper reading, the book really becomes a bit of a cluster @#$%& of errors, contradictions and wonky guesses, especially once it reaches 1966 - 1969. I haven't read further.

For example... It's clear that they are mistakenly thinking the September/October 1968 rehearsal pics at Bermondsey rehearsal space are from the March 1968 rehearsals at R.G Jones Surrey rehearsals.

An actual gear only focused book would have been much better. The mass of speculative info etc spoils it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-23 02:52 by His Majesty.

Date: May 25, 2014 19:28

Read it all now. Phewee, this book seriously needs to be re-written, edited/chopped down and have the many errors corrected... and there are many!

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 25, 2014 21:17

I'm reading here for weeks now how great this book is, but didn't dare to buy it yet. I have a question:

if one -like me- is not a musician and not realy interested into instruments info and stuff, is it than worth it to buy this one?

Is it only about their intruments and what/where they used it?
For me that sounds like a very boring read, but I could be wrong ofcourse.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home