Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: Rolling Stones Gear Book
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 21, 2014 23:31

MingSubu

I'm assuming that when the author mentions white tolex Fenders, he is referring to blonde Fenders?

Your next book purchase should be "The Soul of Tone" about the Fender amps. Very nice. Foreword by Keith. Recommended smiling smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 22, 2014 00:22

It is a good book, but I've only browsed through it. I'll add it to my Amazon cart. Thanks!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 22, 2014 00:27

MingSubu
It is a good book, but I've only browsed through it. I'll add it to my Amazon cart. Thanks!

I learned a lot from it smiling smiley

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: February 27, 2014 21:33

Lastest from Amazon uk

Estimated arrival date: March 31 2014 - April 02 2014

what the @#$%& going on ?angry smiley

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: February 27, 2014 22:06

I got mine yesterday. Wonder am I first one in Finland to have this book(?). Ebay rulesdrinking smiley

Some mistakes but great book anyway. Well worth the money.

..worst mistake I found was picture of Mesa Boogie Mark III coliseum and caption tells that it's the Stones choice amp in 1981.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 27, 2014 22:18

AllAboutYours
I got mine yesterday. Wonder am I first one in Finland to have this book(?). Ebay rulesdrinking smiley

Some mistakes but great book anyway. Well worth the money.

..worst mistake I found was picture of Mesa Boogie Mark III coliseum and caption tells that it's the Stones choice amp in 1981.

Which page is that? They did use the 300 Coliseum on the 1981 tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 27, 2014 22:20

Page 515, under the right pic.

Date: February 27, 2014 22:32

MingSubu
Page 515, under the right pic.

Yeah, they used a somewhat later add for a Coliseum amp.

Mathijs

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 5, 2014 01:03

Got mine to day. Wow, thats one large book!! smiling smileybut it looks great and I'm sure I will have consumed a lot of good beer before I'm done reading it... drinking smiley

Date: March 5, 2014 01:05

Another 14 days till I get mine...

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 5, 2014 01:17

DandelionPowderman

Sure? My wife got an answer to a mail yesterday saying we shouldnt expect it to arrive before march 12. It arrived today... And from what I have seen so far you will love it... cool smiley

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: March 5, 2014 10:09

[Deleted after Amazon updated site]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-06 09:05 by smokeydusky.

Date: March 5, 2014 10:24

gibsonman
DandelionPowderman

Sure? My wife got an answer to a mail yesterday saying we shouldnt expect it to arrive before march 12. It arrived today... And from what I have seen so far you will love it... cool smiley

That's great news! thumbs up

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 5, 2014 10:25

Got mine on Amazon.com, and arrived here in Holland within 3 weeks. It was listed as a softcover, but it's a hardcover.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: March 5, 2014 10:46

WHat's the hold up for everyone? I bought mine on 13/2, it shipped on 14/2 and arrived on my doorstep in Sydney less than 2 weeks later having been shipped from the US.

Date: March 5, 2014 10:56

champ72
WHat's the hold up for everyone? I bought mine on 13/2, it shipped on 14/2 and arrived on my doorstep in Sydney less than 2 weeks later having been shipped from the US.

I think we're taking Amazon's "estimated time of delivery" a bit too literally - it seems it arrives way quicker than they say thumbs up

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: March 5, 2014 11:24

Amazon UK still saying Release Date March 26 2014. Delivery estimate: 31 Mar 2014 - 2 April 2014.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 11:27 by King Bee.

Date: March 5, 2014 15:00

Arrived today already! Fantastic thumbs up

Looks like I assumptions about the Tele Keith used on the 81/82 tour were right. It was a modified Newman Jones-tele after all, according to the book - and not at traditional Rosewood.

Date: March 5, 2014 15:01

GasLightStreet
Any explanation to that thin tinny sound they got in 1990?

Switching from Mesas to Twins?

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: March 5, 2014 22:28

Wow! Sounds like Amazon UK needs a major upgrade. Mine was packaged well from Amazon USA. Sturdy cardboard box with protective packing inside. Into the 70's now. Makes me want to get my Vox AC 30 out and plug in my Ric 360 and Korg re-issue teardrop. I have to get a Fender Tele one of these days. I have a custom made egg shaped guitar with generic tele pick ups but it doesn't really sound like an authentic telecaster. The book has been fabulous. I should have saved the 60's for last. Every Stones fan needs to own this.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 7, 2014 17:50

Omission. ..
It appears that the book doesn't mention the shehani played by Dave Mason at the end of Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: March 17, 2014 10:50

did anyone note that keith's esquire, the one with HB with no cover at the neck, is named Gloria. I've always tought Gloria being the blond '59 tele with rosewood fingerboard. I've read somewhere this one was bought by alan rogan during dirty work sessions and was named Gloria as per a masking tape penciled Gloria in the control cavity ...
m.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 17, 2014 11:55

Ok, it's good. Very good. But not AS good as it could have been if the authors dug more into the Ratbag threads. It's more like a catalog than an essay.

And not so many pics of the actual instruments.

C

Date: March 17, 2014 14:58

DandelionPowderman

Looks like I assumptions about the Tele Keith used on the 81/82 tour were right. It was a modified Newman Jones-tele after all, according to the book - and not at traditional Rosewood.

You mean the Rosewood Tele? The neck is an original Fender Rosewood neck. The light coloured body it was attached to was made by Newman-Jones, and Keith played this one on the 1978 tour and start of 1981 tour. Then the guitar was send to Schecter, where a new body and new bodyparts where fitted. Keith used this guitar for the remainder of the 1981 and 1982 tour.

Mathijs

Date: March 17, 2014 15:16

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

You mean the Rosewood Tele? The neck is an original Fender Rosewood neck. The light coloured body it was attached to was made by Newman-Jones, and Keith played this one on the 1978 tour and start of 1981 tour. Then the guitar was send to Schecter, where a new body and new bodyparts where fitted. Keith used this guitar for the remainder of the 1981 and 1982 tour.

Mathijs

Yep.

Why was the body replaced, btw?

Is it the same guitar, featured on the Talk Is Cheap-cover?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 15:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 17, 2014 16:00

By the way, just noticed that the pic at page 50 (Bill's AC-30) is repeated at page 63.

On the positive side, the editing is really well done!

C

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 17, 2014 20:39

great book , i love all the info !

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 01:33

heard an interview last Wednesday (12 March) with Greg Prevost.
he mentioned that the book took about 10 years to put together and that he cut about 200 pages from the final version, so because there was too much detail or the equipment was used only once.
the interview was on CFMU FM CFMU
if you click on the programming tab & find Lou's Control radio show you should be able to download a podcast. Greg's interview is about 30 minutes in.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 18, 2014 02:25

You can buy it on line for $35

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 19, 2014 02:48

Hello all,
After a month or so with this book, I must say that I am more in love with this book than ever! Up until a week or so ago, I had been skimming, scanning, glancing, skipping around, trying to pin point certain facts etc.. I am now actually "reading" the book.

It's crazy how much I have learned. I thought I knew a lot but this book has so much to offer.

To those who seem to find errors and omissions, go back a read the book. You may find that those "errors" and "omissions" are neither.
(Schillid...check out page 280).

I think the pix of gear that "are like the one that Keith played" maybe there b/c perhaps there weren't any shots of that piece of gear that showed the detail that Andy was trying to get across

I for one love this book and will reserve any harsh judgments until I fully read it and complete it. So far though..............Very well done!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 02:51 by Cafaro.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home